BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,318
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 31 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Kudos to the WM coaches. No one is saying that they didn't do a great job leading their players to a state championship. The previous poster even said that they try their best. You can honestly say that you talked to every college coach and they think 91 and Express are jokes? Really? If that's the case, then why do they have such a high rate of commitments to very impressive schools? Once again, the thread is about if it is a conflict. It doesn't mean that people do not think the coaches do a great job during the school season. It purely means, could there be a possible conflict and many many people believe there could be. Even some of the players/parents that play on the green and gold team believe it, but play on it just in case it is held against them. People are entitled to their humble opinion.

Right- that is the root of this issue the town/school vs club relationship is disfunctional. Sachem tells their kids no club after 6th grade... Club just makes kids better by raising the competition level - that is a fact. I wish all you policy makers can find a way to coexist, instead of placing an ultimatum on a kid. And those of you that do place ultimatums and twist the justification in your minds - should really reconsider and embrace all the opportunity that is available to our kids. Most kids play both now - and instead of parents feeling awkward by doing what's best for their child - work with us for those that want our kids playing club and give good advice. Maybe have a relationship with a club and find a win-win solution. Because this isn't going away and this is a good debate to have - since both sides have merits.

Follow the money - that's what all this nonsense is about, too much money for clubs or school coaches with summer teams to leave behind

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I feel it is a conflict...as a smithtown parent,hate it! Too many hands in the pot and everyone being pushed and in a sense threatened into playing.Summer is summer pay your money where you want.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they didnt play as juniors because at that point in time, there were better players a head of them. Remember the coach plays who HE thinks is the best players. dont forget, players
improve, some stay the same, and some regress. the WM pole has an amazing senior year..took advatange of the opportunity & made the best of it. same thing for this year, which kids will step up ? there are a lot of 2014's that have the potential to have great senior years. wait & see.

Do you truly believe that the coaches get it right 100% of the time?

At WM there are very good players that do not get quality playing time and that is OK. But please do not insist that "the coaches play the best kids".

The coaches try their best and they play who they believe to be the best but every year there are very good players who do not see the field. Every kid they play is good but not every good player gets to play. That is reality, not a complaint.

If the WM coaches do not favor you son in the 9th or 10th grade does it make sense to play with WM in the summer if he could play for a strong club team?

I am not sure what to do.

But this is the situation that makes me ask the question.

Is it a conflict of interest for the HS Coach?

I think it is.

It amazing that the coaches just lead their team and community to a national ranking and state championship and are still being hammered by the parents in their community. What a shame. The truth is if your a parent you have an comment for everything, and if your an alumni of the greatest high school lacrosse program in the country you have a real clue about the truth and what it takes to play at the next level. Here's a big clue to play at the next level for the players, you go to college by yourself, mom and dad stay home. Here's another clue, if you think playing on express or 91 is better for your kid to get into college your wrong. As per every college coach they think its a joke that these kids play for another team other then their high school especially if they live in sachem, smith town, west I, ward Melville. This shows them lack of commitment, believe, trust, and most importantly to every coach, character! Which stems from their up bringing and beliefs. No coach will recruit a player who's parent is an issue as well. Believe what you want but this is the absolute truth.
Ward Melville lacrosse is back, be a part of it or don't! Either way the coaches and players will not care what any of you have to say and they will continue to do what's right for the program and community, and that's WIN!

As per every coach? Who are you, you have the ear of every college coach? Go back to your glory days and leave the rest of us alone. you are a simply, stupid person, but its not your fault, your mommy didnt raise you to think for yourself...

Why do you think they consider it a joke to play travel? There is travel in every sport. Other than a calling it a lack of commitment - what is the downside? Earlier this summer I was at 2014 committed club team practice and saw the best talent around on the field playing (a few aforementioned school helmets there as well) Isn't that a good thing for a player - not only preparing him/her for the upcoming school season - by increasing their skills and making others around them better. But preparing them to play on the next level. That is what is interesting and frustrating about this debate - people use words like no commitment - but all of us are committed to town and school ball. However, we want our kids in club as well.

And in my opinion there is no conflict for a HS coach to run a summer program. Just stop the nonsense of saying "you're with us or you're not" Just get the left side to work with the right side.

Keep the debate (minus the name calling) rolling - it is certainly interesting to hear everyone's opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how does club raise the competition level? wm plays in top
summer tourneys, no?
also, no one has mentioned the individual showcase camps, jake reid, 205, 225 Mavrericke etc. these are important events to get into & wm kids do & the coaches tell you to. So for the 9 10th & 11th graders that havent gotten a lot of playing time you can get excellent exposure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the coaches do play the best players. Yes it is true that there are very good players that do not get alot of playing time, but the coaches are playing the best of the best. not sure why you make such a comment. As far as being a 9th or 10the grader (not favored) what does that mean? he doesn't get playing time? because there are better players ahead of him?
1. the SUMMER wm program green/gold EVERYONE plays. You will get exposure at tourneys.
2. Play for a strong club team...are you already on this strong club team? if not, how do you know you would make it? what role/position would you play? my guess is that if you are not "favored" on your little town squad, how confident are you that things would be different on a strong club team that pulls from all of LI?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
high rate of commitments? that is a joke....these club teams are money making machines plain & simple. how do you know how a player was really recruited? Expres will calim any kid that played in their program...whether it be 4th grade, 1 yr. 2 yrs. whatever...if the player was a St. A's kid....playing for St. A's team didn't get him recruited? i find it hard to believe that many of these impressive commitments werent do to the HS that a kid played at...look at the Chaminade & St. A's
alone, 2 super hs lax teams in the COUNTRY...they didnt have a
play on these kids recruiting? come'on open your eyes. Hats off to express 91 etc they are marketing themselves well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the coaches do play the best players. Yes it is true that there are very good players that do not get alot of playing time, but the coaches are playing the best of the best. not sure why you make such a comment. As far as being a 9th or 10the grader (not favored) what does that mean? he doesn't get playing time? because there are better players ahead of him?
1. the SUMMER wm program green/gold EVERYONE plays. You will get exposure at tourneys.
2. Play for a strong club team...are you already on this strong club team? if not, how do you know you would make it? what role/position would you play? my guess is that if you are not "favored" on your little town squad, how confident are you that things would be different on a strong club team that pulls from all of LI?

100% of the time the coaches identify the best??

100% of the time the coaches are right when they play 9th or 10th graders over upperclassmen??

The Gold team is the best place for a rising 10th grader to play??

The coaches do not favor certain kids??

The topic is, "is it a conflict of interest"?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
another parent mis informed....playing multi level not
ideal for recruiting? com'on...lets see, petey only plays well against kids his own age....lol coaches know what grade a player is in. And if your playing on a team like WM, coaches
have a very high level of respect for the WM program & that goes a long way for your kid...more than you know...so the fact that a 9, 10th grader is playing on WM team gets you interest.they dont expect that kid to be dominating a raising senior...they are looking at lax iq, hustle, etc. maybe you should contact a college coach and ask, what do you look for
in a player? you may be surprised & certainly tell them you play in the WM program....your other comment, what if my son wants to play in a more competitive tournament? you REALLY me that YOU want him to play in a more competitive tournament! on other words your kid only plays his best when he is on a "stacked" team? one thing you will find out after the conversation with that college coach is that they look for kids that make the other players around them, BETTER! they want NOTHING to do with the prima donna that can only play with good players. Last ask that coach why they ALWAYS talk to the kids hs coach? because these club coaches are full of crap
when it comes to a kids talent level....follow the money...clubs will keep telling you are a cant miss D1 player...why? cause they want your $$$ next year & next year
etc. Dont forget the club scens has many levels...each club has a #1 team. if you're not on it, your tosing your money away
espcially if your a wm kid...talk about a drop off. you shouldnt lose sight of the value playing for the WM program.

First of all, my post was trying to be positive. You have a lot of anger and clearly don't even want to see both point of views. Calling me misinformed demonstrates that. Please read objectively.

Let's start with your first argument about multi level. Maybe you should talk to some of the WM 2012 Summer Green Team parents about how when WM got on the field to play as rising seniors even though there were younger players, there were instances when coaches walked away assuming that if a senior was that good he would have been committed already. Some of these coaches were unaware that mixed grades were playing. This was a big disadvantage for rising juniors. This is a fact and a valid concern. Hopefully, this was rectified for the players this summer.

Of course, coaches look for hustle and lacrosse IQ. You offered no new insight there. Coaches also look at the behavior of the player on and off the field as well as their parents' behavior. This holds true for both WM and club.

Of course, playing for WM during the school season holds weight with college coaches. WM has a long history of great lacrosse. Not sure it holds as much weight during the summer. You should ask them that. Some coaches want to know if you can mesh well with players from other towns and not just the ones that you have played PAL with since 2nd grade. After all, you are not taking your entire HS team to college with you.

As far as your point of wanting my son to play on a "stacked" team, I never said that. I think it is a benefit for my son to play in more competitive tournaments as does he, so he can be amongst some of the most competitive players in his age group. This shows us where he falls and what he needs to work on. It helps raise his level of play. It's good for him to learn from players that he does not play with all the time and be inspired by them. This does not mean he doesn't look up to his school teammates because he has respect for them too. This also does not mean that he is a "prima donna" as you put it. If you knew my son at all, you would know that he is a very unselfish player. I guess name calling and insulting a young teen makes you feel better and somehow makes you think your point is valid.

As far as the "club scene" that you negatively refer too, he is on the #1 team since you brought it up. That doesn't mean that the B Teams do not have talent which I am sure you are aware of since they have beaten 3V's A team on many occasion including Patriots Elite's team as well.

Yes, playing club does cost more $, but probably not as much $ as you would think. You get what you pay for. It's probably comparable to all the $ WM kids pay for private lessons and the clinics they try to take discretely after the parents proclaim that we have the best coaches anywhere and no need to go anywhere else. In years to come if my son wants to play college lacrosse and if he has the talent and the grades, I have no doubt that my son's club coaches and school coaches will do whatever they can to help him get recruited whether it be D1, D2, or D3.

All these boys will be playing school lacrosse together. It's important that we respect each other and the different decisions parents made for their sons. In all situations, everyone has their child's best interest in mind. There are just different avenues for helping your child improve his lacrosse skills. We never lost sight of playing for a WM program. We live in the district first for it's reputation for a great education, it's a wonderful community to raise a family and it certainly helps that my children love lacrosse in a district that excels at the sport.

I have faith that our HS coach would never hold it against an athlete based on where he decided to play during the off season. Each player needs to be evaluated each season based on school tryouts. Because then surely it would be a conflict of interest if WM's coach cut or didn't play a deserving athlete due to that athlete not contributing to his summer salary.

You are not correct about the 2012 Green Team. College coaches have a detailed roster given to them at check in. They do know what grade a player is in. College coachs bounce from field to field depending on who they are looking at. Many go to a tourney with a specific list, others
are open to see anything & everthing. To make a statement that coaches left because they assumed the players were committed already is false. How do you know why a coach picks up his chair? LOL. I would really question the parent that you received that type of information from.
Another parent who thinks his kid is better than he really is? Also, do not forget that last year 2012, WM had 2 very good sophs. an attackman & defenseman that played spring varisty these 2 drew alot of attention from college coaches so if you were a raising jr. in 2012, you would have had the opportunity to show your stuff so to speak. Many times a collge coach will go to see player "A" & winds up discovering player "D". Bottom line at recruiting tourney's you have to bring your "A" game to every game...never know who is watching.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
100% ????
Get real with that.
Upperclassmen playing behind 9th & 10th graders? I think you do not have a realistic view of your son's ability with respect to recruiting. If your 18 year old has a 14/15 year old playing ahead of him in Suffolk Division 1, not sure what college level lax your son has expectations of. This is not a knock of your son, but if your son played on the WM summer teams the past few years, he was given equal playing time & played with all the players from his position many college coaches watching....phones not ringing? He may just not be good enough. If he gave it his best, so be it, thats all you can ask...There are plenty of great schools that play lacrosse
and if you son plays WM varsity, there are spots for him, just do your homework & ask your HS coach is opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This thread was for all LI and seems to be pointed towards WM.

The best point I see is a reoccurring one. Sure you may be a very good player, but there may be better on your town team in front of you. If this is the case why not go to a club team. But at the same time if you aren't the best in your town why would you think you would be best on an all LI type of club.

There are a few arguments here

1). If you have a strong town program (16+ A/B players)
a] if you are a top player you want to have the HS step up and create a system.
b] if you are a second tier player you don't want to be told you need to be on a team to play behind someone else, when another club team will get you playing.

2). if you have a weak town program, you want to get the best possible exposure and play the best possible competition for summer and not be told you have to be committed.

My question is if possible name the top 10 Suffolk towns and Nassau towns who can create this type of feeder system and at what age do you start. 6th grade to prep for MS and HS.

Ill start with Suffolk (in no particular order)
WM
WI
Smithtown (I know there are 2)
Sachem (I know there are 2)
Northport
Bayshore
Sayville
SWR
ESM
Harborfields
Riverhead

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
100% ????
Get real with that.
Upperclassmen playing behind 9th & 10th graders? I think you do not have a realistic view of your son's ability with respect to recruiting. If your 18 year old has a 14/15 year old playing ahead of him in Suffolk Division 1, not sure what college level lax your son has expectations of. This is not a knock of your son, but if your son played on the WM summer teams the past few years, he was given equal playing time & played with all the players from his position many college coaches watching....phones not ringing? He may just not be good enough. If he gave it his best, so be it, thats all you can ask...There are plenty of great schools that play lacrosse
and if you son plays WM varsity, there are spots for him, just do your homework & ask your HS coach is opinion.

Get real?

you keep attacking parents and kids saying that their kid is not good enough. I have only questioned the logic of blindly following what a few people say we should do.

Are you a coach? did you coach your son? are you one of the coaches who knows every kids potential? did you always get it right?

I have heard the term "Step up" used by some, I will say that in order to "Step Up" a player needs to be given the opportunity.

At a place like WM, there are many good players, the coaches do their best but they do not get it right all of the time.

What makes you so sure that this new system is in the best interest of the players? In a previous post I said that I am unsure what to do. Why do you think that WM has the only way to hep a player become stronger.

Garden City, Chamidade and St Anthony's have all been very successful during the HS season and the kids do not all play together in the summer.

I am amazed at some who do not question what is being pushed upon them by a few.

By the way, If the HS coaches do not think your kid is one of the better players, don't you think that you should change what you have been doing in order to change the result?

If you can play with better players and have a different coach do you not think that you might be able to improve?

People keep talking about College Recruiting, how about trying to improve so you can be one of the top kid at WM.

Do you think the only way to become a stronger player is to follow what the WM people say you should do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well said, But if all these superstars, that have left the 3v program , would have stayed, 3v lax would be dominant at the tourneys ,as was last years team, that was number 1 in the country, New [lacrosse] State Champs and undefeated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If my kid was playing in a top tier district, makes sense to play with your school.
What if your child is not playing in a top tier district and the coach still demands “No summer teams other than your schools", what then?

Over the years my observation is if the kid for whatever reason; skill, size, political, etc… does not make a “A”/ “AA” type team why spend the 1k plus for a “B” or “C” team?
If your school maintains a program over the summer, stay with them , has already played with those kids over the spring and knows them, coaches, etc…

I observed a mid-tier school team at a few tournaments this past summer beat at times handily some of the “big name” summer programs at various tournaments.
Granted its “B” level, but that’s the point, why spend all that extra money?
Spend it on showcase camps…

1. Spend that extra money if school does not stay together after their spring season.
2. Spend that extra money if your child can make a “A” or “AA” team and their school team is not a top district.

Other than that stay together for the entire year…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
100% ????
Get real with that.

Get real?

you keep attacking parents and kids saying that their kid is not good enough. I have only questioned the logic of blindly following what a few people say we should do.

Are you a coach? did you coach your son? are you one of the coaches who knows every kids potential? did you always get it right?

I have heard the term "Step up" used by some, I will say that in order to "Step Up" a player needs to be given the opportunity.

At a place like WM, there are many good players, the coaches do their best but they do not get it right all of the time.

What makes you so sure that this new system is in the best interest of the players? In a previous post I said that I am unsure what to do. Why do you think that WM has the only way to hep a player become stronger.

Garden City, Chamidade and St Anthony's have all been very successful during the HS season and the kids do not all play together in the summer.

I am amazed at some who do not question what is being pushed upon them by a few.

By the way, If the HS coaches do not think your kid is one of the better players, don't you think that you should change what you have been doing in order to change the result?

If you can play with better players and have a different coach do you not think that you might be able to improve?

People keep talking about College Recruiting, how about trying to improve so you can be one of the top kid at WM.

Do you think the only way to become a stronger player is to follow what the WM people say you should do?

There is no 1 way to improve, there are many. No one is being "pushed" into this. It has been proven that this system is very successful here. Its about a program. That being said, you can't keep everyone happy. The more success a program has, the more kids it attracts. Still a #'s game, only so many can play. No program, HS or club gets it right all the time, but if you look at programs like WM, SW, WI. etc. they are consistantly strong. So their programs are doing things right. Can you always find a player(s) that feel that they got screwed? absolutely
but again, its about a program not an individual. As far as becoming a stronger player, I guess you need to know what your kid needs to improve on...is it size,speed,footwork etc.Will playing on a club team going to improve that? not sure. You should not be guessing as to why your kid is not getting the playing time that you desire...your kid should be asking his HS coach, what do I have to improve on? if you haven't done that... do it. Again, be prepared for the answer. Looking at your post, you wont be happy until you find a coach/team that will play your son. Last, like that has been posted earlier, if you are considering playing Summer WM or going to a club, everyone plays on the WM summer team. You mentioned, stepup...every kid gets looked at in detail over a long period of time...every kid has multiple chances to step-up, some take advantage some do not... as far as this summer program goes stop insinuating that kids get overlooked they ALL play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
100% ????
Get real with that.

Bottom line - NO school team coaches should be allowed to coach pay to play summer teams in any sport, it's an inherent conflict of interest by any standard! The AD's of these schools need to step up and end this practice asap

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
100% ????
Get real with that.

Get real?

Finally - somebody that gets it. There is no magic formula for success. But the point is these coaches should coach summer, for variety of reasons. And if money is one of those reasons - oh well - they have that right. The coaches can not use their influence to force march kids into the summer program. That's the conflict - saying you must play with me is wrong. There is a better way to manage the club/school/town player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
100% ????
Get real with that.

Bottom line - NO school team coaches should be allowed to coach pay to play summer teams in any sport, it's an inherent conflict of interest by any standard! The AD's of these schools need to step up and end this practice asap

Then they have these affiliated club teams, which falls under the guidance of the school program. And the club is doing the messaging. And they say why go to a travel team when we can offer that right here and cheaper.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
high rate of commitments? that is a joke....these club teams are money making machines plain & simple. how do you know how a player was really recruited? Expres will calim any kid that played in their program...whether it be 4th grade, 1 yr. 2 yrs. whatever...if the player was a St. A's kid....playing for St. A's team didn't get him recruited? i find it hard to believe that many of these impressive commitments werent do to the HS that a kid played at...look at the Chaminade & St. A's
play on these kids recruiting? come'on open your eyes. Hats off to express 91 etc they are marketing themselves well.

That's why people want to play on those teams. Forget recruiting, it's raising the child's skills. With good coaching and playing with better players. Summer town/school teams don't have that fully. Some more than others, but not like a 91 or Express.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's why people want to play on those teams. Forget recruiting, it's raising the child's skills. With good coaching and playing with better players. Summer town/school teams don't have that fully. Some more than others, but not like a 91 or Express.

The St Anthony's coaches have been "strong arming" their players into the Express club for years and they haven't taken any heat. Why is that ok? Hint: It's not ok...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The St Anthony's coaches have been "strong arming" their players into the Express club for years and they haven't taken any heat. Why is that ok? Hint: It's not ok...

Not public school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really.. That is not the truth at all. Those teams are well established before they even get to the HS level.

Not public school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not public school

Not true, I know several players that graduated last year that played for St. Anthony's that were on other travel teams instead of express.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh come on , I have known numerous Express parents who think the Express is a road INTO ST Anthony sand Chaminade's lax programs

Really.. That is not the truth at all. Those teams are well established before they even get to the HS level.

Not public school

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am express parent on 2018 terps team. My son is a starter and has not once been told he should go to St A or Cham...

Maybe the pressure starts this year???

This entire chain is pretty well played out. The schools that strong arm kids are clearly wrong, whether or not they have a winning program, whether or not their coaches are strong, whether or not ever kid gets a fair shot to play, whether or not the kid is good enough to play...

Schools should not be in the business of dictating what kids do when the school sport season (lax, baseball, football, soccer...)is not in session. THis is just a cash grab by the school coaches and I am shocked that the school districts stand for it...

Not about whinny parents, and yes, there are many of those in the lax world.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am express parent on 2018 terps team. My son is a starter and has not once been told he should go to St A or Cham...

This entire chain is pretty well played out. The schools that strong arm kids are clearly wrong, whether or not they have a winning program, whether or not their coaches are strong, whether or not ever kid gets a fair shot to play, whether or not the kid is good enough to play...

Schools should not be in the business of dictating what kids do when the school sport season (lax, baseball, football, soccer...)is not in session. THis is just a cash grab by the school coaches and I am shocked that the school districts stand for it...

They don't tell the kids to go to St ant's or Cham, they tell the kids that go to the schools to play certain clubs...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would think the pressure comes when your child is in St. A or Cham to play with Express in the summer. I'm sure there are some who don't play with them but, most will.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not public school

Not true, I know several players that graduated last year that played for St. Anthony's that were on other travel teams instead of express.

Bet they were non-starters. If they were starter please tell us what position they started at and what other club they played for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not public school

Makes absolutely no difference if its a private or public school. Pressure is pressure regardless of how a school is funded with tax dollars or private tuition. It's wrong both ways.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would think the pressure comes when your child is in St. A or Cham to play with Express in the summer. I'm sure there are some who don't play with them but, most will.

Because their's pressure to do so.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is pressure to switch your faith as well.... Really?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is pressure to switch your faith as well.... Really?

No problem accepting the pressure to play on one the best club organizations around and pressure to be forced to play for a perennially nationally ranked HS. BTW - 100+ kids showed up for the freshman (not jv) tryouts at Chaminade this past spring. Don't think this mysterious pressure you all seem to know about exists. Enough, already. People can play where they want and when they want. Likewise for coaches. The policy makers just have to stop making parents and players feeling uncomfortable because they are playing club. These town PAL reps & school clubs really believe they are responsible for building the varsity program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not public school

Makes absolutely no difference if its a private or public school. Pressure is pressure regardless of how a school is funded with tax dollars or private tuition. It's wrong both ways.

The difference is you choose to attend a private school and can leave if you're not happy for whatever reason. Public school your only option is to move to a different district - publicly funded instututions have a set of different rules in all endeavors because of the taxpayer dollars asociated with them - thats why there's 50-60 kids on a middle school team and everyone gets equal playing time. If you look at the test scores of students in the USA versus the rest of the world it would seem that our focus is a tad out of whack

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a great example of how a coach works with a local club and produce a win-win. This is a recent quote from the Comsewogue Varsity coach "Mitchell said the success on the varsity level is due in great part to the strong youth program. "It's having a great youth league, which is where it all starts, and I'm definitely the recipient of a lot of people's hard work," Mitchell said. "A lot of my kids play in the summer league. Mike (Gongas) at Team Long Island does a great job and really prepares our kids. They get a lot of playing time over the summer and there's always a spot on the summer league roster regardless of the player's talent level." Imagine that... a club and school collaborating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just went through the town web sits on the left. GC states at the youth level they have a A/B/C tier system. For 5th and 6th grade. Love the concept. but I can see the B team in another town be stronger if the kids want to explore outside travel teams.

What does GC ask of its 7-11th graders?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just went through the town web sits on the left. GC states at the youth level they have a A/B/C tier system. For 5th and 6th grade. Love the concept. but I can see the B team in another town be stronger if the kids want to explore outside travel teams.

What does GC ask of its 7-11th graders?

It is my understanding that over the last couple of years GC has been pressuring kids to play only with their Town.

In the past, many of GC's Top players played for Club Teams.

The HS Team did very well during the school year.

What would cause the HS Coach to change..?

not from GC but this is what i have been told. If it is not accurate please let us know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
imagine that...check mitchells pockets..... Open your eyes.

Last edited by CageSage; . Reason: Content Removed
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a great example of how a coach works with a local club and produce a win-win. This is a recent quote from the Comsewogue Varsity coach "Mitchell said the success on the varsity level is due in great part to the strong youth program. "It's having a great youth league, which is where it all starts, and I'm definitely the recipient of a lot of people's hard work," Mitchell said. "A lot of my kids play in the summer league. Mike (Gongas) at Team Long Island does a great job and really prepares our kids. They get a lot of playing time over the summer and there's always a spot on the summer league roster regardless of the player's talent
level." Imagine that... a club and school collaborating.

True, and team LI welcomes kids from any program. They make minimal profit. Last year the cost was 800$ Their u17 team won three major tournaments and many boys have nice D1 commitments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keep hearing how TLI doesn't profit from their summer teams, but how much do they profit from tryouts at $75.00 per player when there are very few positions to fill each year, I would say they profit............and as far as a high schools working with TLI, their rosters are filled mostly by Rocky Point, Mt. Sinai and Comesewogue, very few players from other towns

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that the majority of players on TLI's U-17 team were from Comesewuage.......wasn't Mike Gongas involved with coaching with the high school there? Must be nice, and you are correct, working with a club team benefits the high school, especially working with a club like TLI

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that the majority of players on TLI's U-17 team were from Comesewuage.......wasn't Mike Gongas involved with coaching with the high school there? Must be nice, and you are correct, working with a club team benefits the high school, especially working with a club like TLI

My son is a Jr. from Mt. Sinai and plays on team LI U17. Anyone is welcome on that team. Last year a kid from Smithtown joined the team for the first time and he was a Freshman, Team LI helped him secure a DI scholarship. It's a great organization!

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 31 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard