BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Girls 2031-4th Grade Fall 2022/Summer 2023
Back of THE CAGE
OP Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Use this thread to discuss lacrosse pertaining to 4th Grade Girls (2031 Grads) for the Fall 2022/Summer 2023 Season.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls 2031-4th Grade Fall 2022/Summer 2023
Back of THE CAGE
OP Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Reposting last post from previous SY:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
New family here in nassau. What’s the view on playing on 2 clubs. Our head coach’s kid plays for our team and is also on the roster for a suffolk based team. We had minimal games this fall and think one of the reasons is that it may have conflicted with the other bee (b) team (pun intended) Kinda disingenuous if you ask me.

Parents shouldn’t Coach their kids! Sounds like decisions being made for the kids benefit and not the teams. Your kid will not benefit. Check out teams without parent coaching. Maybe the Jesters?

I wouldn't make it so black and white. I've seen horrible parent coaches just like I've seen horrible paid coaches. I've seen excellent parent coaches that are fair and effective.

True, it’s not fair to say parents don’t make good coaches. Plenty of very good qualified parents coaching teams. However, maybe at club level it shouldn’t be parents with kids on the team? Keep that at PAL.

Once someone pays big $s for club, they should be able to get a paid coaching staff. Always going to be some question if a parents coaching …about conflict of interest and decision making regarding play. So? Maybe leave parent coaching at PAL?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Either or is fine as long as ALL kids and it’s team development is the focus and decisions are based on the girls abilities. We all make a judgement based on our personal experiences. Myself, I have seen the downside of parent coach organizations. Coaches having side conversations with the parents of their daughters friends prior to posting tryout results. These convos did affect the tryout outcomes. My daughter made the B team but clearly better than others on A. Unfortunately we purposefully had our first year with this organization where my daughter had no friends on the team thinking club was based only on ability. I was wrong. You live and learn. We are now joining another team that does not have parent coaches playing for the A team.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Yes

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Team BOTC

New family here in nassau. What’s the view on playing on 2 clubs. Our head coach’s kid plays for our team and is also on the roster for a suffolk based team. We had minimal games this fall and think one of the reasons is that it may have conflicted with the other bee (b) team (pun intended) Kinda disingenuous if you ask me.

Parents shouldn’t Coach their kids! Sounds like decisions being made for the kids benefit and not the teams. Your kid will not benefit. Check out teams without parent coaching. Maybe the Jesters?

I wouldn't make it so black and white. I've seen horrible parent coaches just like I've seen horrible paid coaches. I've seen excellent parent coaches that are fair and effective.

True, it’s not fair to say parents don’t make good coaches. Plenty of very good qualified parents coaching teams. However, maybe at club level it shouldn’t be parents with kids on the team? Keep that at PAL.

Once someone pays big $s for club, they should be able to get a paid coaching staff. Always going to be some question if a parents coaching …about conflict of interest and decision making regarding play. So? Maybe leave parent coaching at PAL?

Jesters has some bigger name coaches. Obviously you have the owner Caramelli, but then you have some other popular trainers and players in the area. Kilgus, Tilts, Pirreca, Downey, and Esposito. If you can get one of those women as your head coach your team is set up for success. Strong, female, non-parent coaches who are all in. Not sure who has the 2031 but as a parent of an older player who has been trained by all of those women except for Downey, I would request one of them to be your coach and you’ll be yet.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Team BOTC

Jesters has some bigger name coaches. Obviously you have the owner Caramelli, but then you have some other popular trainers and players in the area. Kilgus, Tilts, Pirreca, Downey, and Esposito. If you can get one of those women as your head coach your team is set up for success. Strong, female, non-parent coaches who are all in. Not sure who has the 2031 but as a parent of an older player who has been trained by all of those women except for Downey, I would request one of them to be your coach and you’ll be yet.

Agree these are the clubs better coaches and ones who draw kids in, but there are only a few of them for how many teams?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jesters has a lot of great coaches beyond the former women players (who are terrific). Many are former college players themselves. Sure they played the men's game but they have taken the time to learn the women's game too.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jesters has a lot of great coaches beyond the former women players (who are terrific). Many are former college players themselves. Sure they played the men's game but they have taken the time to learn the women's game too.

They have a lot more non parent coaches than many clubs do. I will say that a few of the male coaches are very great as well, but they ar e parent coaches. Hard to sell parent coaches to families paying $2500

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
TG has a well rounded team looked like a non parent coach, good ball movement, good defense and a an excellent goalie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not 2500. Less

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any goalie parents here?

At what age did you get your daughter her gear?

My daughter has shown a strong interest in playing goalie and has been volunteering to play the position on her PAL team whenever offered. We don't own any goalie equipment as we've been borrowing from the PAL team on the day of games.

She doesn't play on a club team yet, but she will be trying out this summer.

Do they have tryouts for Goalies at this age (going into 5th)?

I'm leaning towards purchasing gear so she can get some training/practice in because I'm concerned she'll be up against experienced goalies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not 2500. Less
ok buddy it’s actually $2250… still expensive

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any goalie parents here?

At what age did you get your daughter her gear?

My daughter has shown a strong interest in playing goalie and has been volunteering to play the position on her PAL team whenever offered. We don't own any goalie equipment as we've been borrowing from the PAL team on the day of games.

She doesn't play on a club team yet, but she will be trying out this summer.

Do they have tryouts for Goalies at this age (going into 5th)?

I'm leaning towards purchasing gear so she can get some training/practice in because I'm concerned she'll be up against experienced goalies.

As soon as my daughter said she only wanted to play goalie (4th grade). There are tryouts for goalie if there are more goalies than spots on the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team Igloo girls goalies play the year free and they also give goalies free winter goalie training. Worth looking into they have a free event on July 18th . The Director coach tilts was a goalie.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter is a goalie. She picked up her first goalie stick in September of 2022, but she has been training her [Censored] off for the past 10 months, often 4, 5, and 6 days a week with the team's goalie program, private goalie coach, and Goaliesmith. I got her a complete set of goalie equipment for about $200 off the Facebook marketplace and have been slowly replacing them with her customized equipment to fit her playing style. You can find some used goalie equipment relatively inexpensive, so I would go that route, then slowly buy the equipment that's tailored to her.

With regard to tryout and playing for a club team. Goalies are hard to come by, not a lot of girls have the fortitude and tenacity to stand in front of a ball throwing at you at 45 MPH+. I don't think you'll find a club that's looking for a dedicated goalie, especially if she is not afraid of taking shots, she'll do fine. With that said, I would also go try out for as many club teams as possible, but also inquire about their goalie program. In order for a goalie to be really good, she needs to participate in a goalie program that'll teach her the fundamentals, footwork, stickwork, and cage awareness. If she trains hard, she can be good and effective in 4-5 months and compete at a high level; however, you absolutely need to bring a lot of resources to get her there. This means private coaching sessions, and possibly multiple turns in a good goalie camp. I think I've probably spent close to four to five thousand dollars on her private coaching and Goaliesmith training alone in the past 10 months, but she's probably one of the best goalies for her age group despite that she's only been a goalie for 10 months.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think you'll find a club that's looking for a dedicated goalie, especially if she is not afraid of taking shots, she'll do fine.

I meant to say that "I don't think you'll have a problem finding a club that's looking for a dedicated goalie..."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter is a goalie. She picked up her first goalie stick in September of 2022, but she has been training her [Censored] off for the past 10 months, often 4, 5, and 6 days a week with the team's goalie program, private goalie coach, and Goaliesmith. I got her a complete set of goalie equipment for about $200 off the Facebook marketplace and have been slowly replacing them with her customized equipment to fit her playing style. You can find some used goalie equipment relatively inexpensive, so I would go that route, then slowly buy the equipment that's tailored to her.

With regard to tryout and playing for a club team. Goalies are hard to come by, not a lot of girls have the fortitude and tenacity to stand in front of a ball throwing at you at 45 MPH+. I don't think you'll find a club that's looking for a dedicated goalie, especially if she is not afraid of taking shots, she'll do fine. With that said, I would also go try out for as many club teams as possible, but also inquire about their goalie program. In order for a goalie to be really good, she needs to participate in a goalie program that'll teach her the fundamentals, footwork, stickwork, and cage awareness. If she trains hard, she can be good and effective in 4-5 months and compete at a high level; however, you absolutely need to bring a lot of resources to get her there. This means private coaching sessions, and possibly multiple turns in a good goalie camp. I think I've probably spent close to four to five thousand dollars on her private coaching and Goaliesmith training alone in the past 10 months, but she's probably one of the best goalies for her age group despite that she's only been a goalie for 10 months.

Good feedback

#1 you don’t need goaliesmith at this age, plus the earliest age they were taking this summer is 2029. That’s girls going into 7th grade. Otherwise Def need to work on fundamentals. Went to a couple of GS sessions over the last year and think you need to have some experience before going to goaliesmith. They are generally shooting pretty hard at all girls and difficultly level is a bit much for elementary school age kids.

#2 try finding a college level goalie. We use a senior D1 goalie from the tristate she is also a coach for one of the big programs. Charges 55 an hour.

#3 ask the club about goalie program and goalie coaches.

#4 check our lax goalie rate website and podcast and start with all the femal goalie podcasts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have also trained with varsity goalies from 2 of the top Nassau schools for $35 an hour. I think what’s good about the lax world is access to top players (especially college) that u wouldn’t otherwise get in other sport

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good feedback

#1 you don’t need goaliesmith at this age, plus the earliest age they were taking this summer is 2029. That’s girls going into 7th grade. Otherwise Def need to work on fundamentals. Went to a couple of GS sessions over the last year and think you need to have some experience before going to goaliesmith. They are generally shooting pretty hard at all girls and difficultly level is a bit much for elementary school age kids.

#2 try finding a college level goalie. We use a senior D1 goalie from the tristate she is also a coach for one of the big programs. Charges 55 an hour.

#3 ask the club about goalie program and goalie coaches.

#4 check our lax goalie rate website and podcast and start with all the femal goalie podcasts

I live in MD. I accidentally posted here in the NE forum not realizing it. Having said that, I live probably 10 minutes away from the Goaliesmith training location, thus she's participating in their Elementary school program. They have 3 sessions per month typically. I actually signed her up for Goaliesmith's 90 x 5 weekend clinic, but Andrew kicked her out because the youngest that was in the program was 2027, thus age gap was too great for her since she is 2031.

I agree that any new and young goalie should reach out to local resources and find a college-level goalie to tutor, it's well worth the money and you'll see exponential results in 5-6 months of training.

But in the end, it all comes down to the individual, she needs to love being a goalie and continue to learn, improve and grow. Getting with a good club with sufficient resources and a developmental program is also important.

Best of luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anybody know how many teams there are for Jesters at this age? Does anybody know if 2031s have a blue team?

Link Copied to Clipboard