BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,193
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 56 of 144 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 143 144
Re: Long Island Express Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes there is a trend, if you can afford it, go to prep school and redo your frosh year if you can afford it. (some schools you can repeat 8th but still maintain the level of academics. This is not new to college sports.

but keep in mind if you do this your child (most likely) will get one heck of an education and an opportunity at a better college isn't that what it is about.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
yes there is a trend, if you can afford it, go to prep school and redo your frosh year if you can afford it. (some schools you can repeat 8th but still maintain the level of academics. This is not new to college sports.

but keep in mind if you do this your child (most likely) will get one heck of an education and an opportunity at a better college isn't that what it is about.

Figure $200k+ for 4 years at most of the boarding high schools. And no guarantee it will work out the way you envision. But, what the heck, you can't take it with you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OMG! you said education, wow thats wacky!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles are the best team in the country at the 2017 grade for sure just like the 91 Xtreme (www.91xtreme.com) are the best 7th grade team in the country. also amazing to watch.

If 91extreme is the best team in the country and lost to the express terps one most wonder if the terps are the best team in the universe but they lost to the crabs so the crabs must be the best team in the galaxy........or, maybe they are all just good teams,

Crabs are the the best...can beat anyone, any time...91, Terps, Turtles...any time, any place

91 Extreme beat Express Terps 2 out of the 3 times they played this year and was 2-0 against the Crabs. They are each good teams, but 91 Extreme gets the nod for Spring/Summer 2013 - they have the better body of work: head to head record, overall record and number of tournaments won.

team 91 never played the Terps Black team

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Turtles are the best team in the country at the 2017 grade for sure just like the 91 Xtreme (www.91xtreme.com) are the best 7th grade team in the country. also amazing to watch.

If 91extreme is the best team in the country and lost to the express terps one most wonder if the terps are the best team in the universe but they lost to the crabs so the crabs must be the best team in the galaxy........or, maybe they are all just good teams,

Crabs are the the best...can beat anyone, any time...91, Terps, Turtles...any time, any place

91 Extreme beat Express Terps 2 out of the 3 times they played this year and was 2-0 against the Crabs. They are each good teams, but 91 Extreme gets the nod for Spring/Summer 2013 - they have the better body of work: head to head record, overall record and number of tournaments won.

team 91 never played the Terps Black team

lots of mixing grades and teams in the conversation
Terps Black are 2017 as are Turtles
2018 also has a terps but they are not black
91extreme is a 2018
please be mindful when you are bashing a team you have the correct team

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
will the turtles ever have another team or are they one and done?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I doubt it. papa JD is in it for his son. It's not about anyone else. But then again there is another one coming up in a few years, (2020) so you never know! Problem is Orange Crush (91 2020) is hard to touch!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I doubt it. papa JD is in it for his son. It's not about anyone else. But then again there is another one coming up in a few years, (2020) so you never know! Problem is Orange Crush (91 2020) is hard to touch!!

Hard to touch......They are 11 years old. A lot can change in the upcoming years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hard to touch......They are 11 years old. A lot can change in the upcoming years.

True, but the Turtles peaked in 7th grade, so that doesn't leave too much time for a "Turtles 2" team to emerge and dominate does it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True, but the Turtles peaked in 7th grade, so that doesn't leave too much time for a "Turtles 2" team to emerge and dominate does it?

Hate to break the news. Turtles have yet to peak, not even close. #chosenones

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Haha That's funny!, Unfortunately results don't lie. Who's next?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Turtles are a very good team. They have no weak links and play disciplined. That is why they win. I am happy my son is not on their team though, as there is rampant nepotism on the Turtles. That is not a healthy situation. Better off playing for the LI Express and even though you have to deal with a lot of drama, you don't have to deal with nepotism.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Turtles are a very good team. They have no weak links and play disciplined. That is why they win. I am happy my son is not on their team though, as there is rampant nepotism on the Turtles. That is not a healthy situation. Better off playing for the LI Express and even though you have to deal with a lot of drama, you don't have to deal with nepotism.

Wait, I thought Turtle where Express? I'm so confused!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles are Express

Turtles are very good

Turtles are not "the best" not winning tournaments like they used to, which is why I said they peaked in 7th grade, they were better then!

There is plenty of nepotism on that team. [/quote]

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles are Express

Turtles are very good

Turtles are not "the best" not winning tournaments like they used to, which is why I said they peaked in 7th grade, they were better then!

There is plenty of nepotism on that team.
[/quote]

Usuaully success and nepotism do not go together. They must be one of the few organizations on the planet that's figured out how to make those two work. Or it could be that the rest of the talent pool is so fragmented that the nepotism formula can still work. Cudas also got away with alot of nepotism against weaker teams but it caught up to them over and over when they ran into teams with highly concentrated talent throughout the summer and likewise didn't win many tournaments. Democracy (ie. most talented kids no matter who they know or don't know) always wins in the long run over nepotism.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles are Express

Turtles are very good

Usuaully success and nepotism do not go together. They must be one of the few organizations on the planet that's figured out how to make those two work. Or it could be that the rest of the talent pool is so fragmented that the nepotism formula can still work. Cudas also got away with alot of nepotism against weaker teams but it caught up to them over and over when they ran into teams with highly concentrated talent throughout the summer and likewise didn't win many tournaments. Democracy (ie. most talented kids no matter who they know or don't know) always wins in the long run over nepotism. [/quote]

That's not the definition of a Democracy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles are Express

Turtles are very good

Usuaully success and nepotism do not go together. They must be one of the few organizations on the planet that's figured out how to make those two work. Or it could be that the rest of the talent pool is so fragmented that the nepotism formula can still work. Cudas also got away with alot of nepotism against weaker teams but it caught up to them over and over when they ran into teams with highly concentrated talent throughout the summer and likewise didn't win many tournaments. Democracy (ie. most talented kids no matter who they know or don't know) always wins in the long run over nepotism.

That's not the definition of a Democracy. [/quote]
I think you meant meritocracy...:)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles are Express

Turtles are very good

That's not the definition of a Democracy.

I think you meant meritocracy...:) [/quote]

True. Turtles make it work because all the players are decent, many not great. A few are exceptional, especially the attack. The great kids carry the rest. Many kids look better than they are on that team playing together. Unfortunately, that is not what the colleges are looking for. The great ones will get well deserved scholarships, the rest may be surprised when the offers don't come rolling in!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Better off playing for the LI Express" than the Turtles? Come on!!! Nepotism > drama (& BTW "drama" is an understatement;)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Turtles are a very good team. They have no weak links and play disciplined. That is why they win. I am happy my son is not on their team though, as there is rampant nepotism on the Turtles. That is not a healthy situation. Better off playing for the LI Express and even though you have to deal with a lot of drama, you don't have to deal with nepotism. [/quote]

"Better off playing for the LI Express" than the Turtles? Come on!!! Nepotism > drama (& BTW "drama" is an understatement;) [/quote]
I would take the Drama>Nepotism. Would prefer neither of course. But this is Youth Lacrosse and your never going to find a perfect situation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard the 2020 Express had Over 100 kids at tryouts on Saturday and that they are looking to fill 2 spots.

Crazy how many people shelled out the $$ with those odds Would you do that in Vegas?

These pay to play clubs have really convinced parents that this is the kids only shot and like lemmings they line up to pay

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard the 2020 Express had Over 100 kids at tryouts on Saturday and that they are looking to fill 2 spots.

Crazy how many people shelled out the $$ with those odds Would you do that in Vegas?

These pay to play clubs have really convinced parents that this is the kids only shot and like lemmings they line up to pay

Monkey see, monkey do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express will turnover kids to improve the talent on their teams. If there are better kids that come along, existing players will get cut. If there were 100 kids at the tryout, many of these were likely returning players as well and not altogether new players. If your kid is good, they will get on a team. If your kid is as good, but not better than, a returning player, the returning player will likely get the spot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is pretty much the same drill for all paying clubs especially as the kids get older. There are established teams with a few spots available on each team because of kids that leave or to replace kids that didn't perform well. Even the clubs that call themselves "not for profit" are charging for tryouts where there are only a few spots available. With Express the odds for making a team are worse because so many people come to the tryouts because they want to play for Express. The other clubs would take the same money if they had the turnout. Express does a great tryout and has many paid evaluators that they have to compensate. Many of the "not for profits" have parent coaches evaluating and they are still charging something, many $50 and up.

It's pretty simple, kids have to stand out to take a spot from an existing player at any of these tryouts. Express is harder because there are more kids at the tryout. If they do something to get noticed, they will have their choice of clubs even if there are 100 kids at the tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was at the 91 workout with my son but I was told the talent level for the 2019 team at Express was much lower then they had hoped and the A team will probably be more of a low A team and the B team more like a C.Any feedback on if that was true or not.Pleasse respond only if you were there.There were a bunch of Express helmets at the 91 tryout but I really didn't look to see how good they were or if they played for the A or B at express last year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only if a returning player comes back.If 9 of the kids from your A team go over to 91 to try out you will also have openings. But will the talent be better or will you just be filling spots.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only if a returning player comes back.If 9 of the kids from your A team go over to 91 to try out you will also have openings. But will the talent be better or will you just be filling spots.

Yes it will weaken the talent base but that's ok because winning is not the most important thing, It seems that just wearing the helmet makes people happy whether you are on the A,B or C team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Comment of the day so far... "and like lemmings they line up to pay" ... my prediction is this guy didn't like the tryout and felt like his 100 bucks was wasted so he feels like jumping off a cliff...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Comment of the day so far... "and like lemmings they line up to pay" ... my prediction is this guy didn't like the tryout and felt like his 100 bucks was wasted so he feels like jumping off a cliff...

Stay away from Express unless your kid is going to St. Anthony's or is on the Express "A" team. Jesters, fl$, Outlaws have excellent recruiting placement track records for public school kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was at the 2019 tryouts this past weekend with my son. I heard that there were approximately 125 kids. I can tell you that the kids that I watched looked pretty impressive. They certainly did not look like low A or B team players to me. I did see some 91, True Blue and Rampage helmets, but there were obviously more Express helmets out there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was at the 2019 tryouts this past weekend with my son. I heard that there were approximately 125 kids. I can tell you that the kids that I watched looked pretty impressive. They certainly did not look like low A or B team players to me. I did see some 91, True Blue and Rampage helmets, but there were obviously more Express helmets out there.

I can tell you what I saw was probably the least talent we have had there in years and I have gone for the past three years. Unless they grab some kids off of other tryouts it will be a long season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can tell you what I saw was probably the least talent we have had there in years and I have gone for the past three years. Unless they grab some kids off of other tryouts it will be a long season.

I disagree, I saw some very athletic kids and some very skilled lacrosse players.
If they get it right the A team will be very strong.

If other kids stay the second team will be good as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Listen to the guy that's been there the past three years... he knows the level of players that have been there and left. With so many of their kids at the 91 tryout, I tend to believe him.

I disagree, I saw some very athletic kids and some very skilled lacrosse players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Listen to the guy that's been there the past three years... he knows the level of players that have been there and left. With so many of their kids at the 91 tryout, I tend to believe him.

I have only been there the last two years and yes there was a drop off in talent but what can you do

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Second Team ? I would rather try out for Icon, True Blue, Millon Force etc
There are still plenty of good teams w/ tryouts remaining.

If other kids stay the second team will be good as well. [/quote]

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't get sucked into the hype of any of these clubs or get hung up on which kid plays for what club. College coaches could care less what club team your sons play for - It makes absolutely no difference to them so don't drink the cool-aid of any program, including the Express. All the college coaches care about is your kid as an individual. He could play for the 3 stooges club located in tim-buk-to and it wouldn't matter as long as they see him and he's a stud he doesn't have to come from a well known program. The great majority of kids on D1 rosters played for club programs that you've never heard of. Go with the cheapest for some exposure and supplement with individual showcases and college prospect days. Trust me, I've just been through it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't get sucked into the hype of any of these clubs or get hung up on which kid plays for what club. College coaches could care less what club team your sons play for - It makes absolutely no difference to them so don't drink the cool-aid of any program, including the Express. All the college coaches care about is your kid as an individual. He could play for the 3 stooges club located in tim-buk-to and it wouldn't matter as long as they see him and he's a stud he doesn't have to come from a well known program. The great majority of kids on D1 rosters played for club programs that you've never heard of. Go with the cheapest for some exposure and supplement with individual showcases and college prospect days. Trust me, I've just been through it.

You are correct, and thank you. Great post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just went through it as well. My son did not play for any of the "big" clubs, he is now recruited to an excellent D1 school with a very nice scholarship. He was seen at recruiting camps, not club play!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just went through it as well. My son did not play for any of the "big" clubs, he is now recruited to an excellent D1 school with a very nice scholarship. He was seen at recruiting camps, not club play!

I tend to agree with the post. BUT..Your child is only going to get better if he plays with “better” players and gets “better” coaching. Most high schools do not provide one or the other or both.
The “bigger” clubs tend to get “better” players that help your child get “better”. Obviously there are exceptions, but this seems to be the trend over the past few years since we have become obsessed with getting our children some sort of scholarship for lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I tend to agree with the post. BUT..Your child is only going to get better if he plays with “better” players and gets “better” coaching. Most high schools do not provide one or the other or both.
The “bigger” clubs tend to get “better” players that help your child get “better”. Obviously there are exceptions, but this seems to be the trend over the past few years since we have become obsessed with getting our children some sort of scholarship for lacrosse.

makes me wonder what planet you people are living on. did you know that a fully funded program has 12.1 scholarships spread across the entire team? so you'e talking maybe 1/4 which doesn't account for much. most people will get more in financial aid packages based on income and need. stop talking about scholarship $$ because it makes you sound dumb. it's all about gettiing into a school that otherwise may be unreachable.

Like Reply Quote
Page 56 of 144 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 143 144
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard