BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L.I. Girls High School Officials; Good, Bad or Ugly?
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
Are the injuries being sustained by so many HS girls a direct result of bad officiating? Many will say yes. Some say no. However there is no way an entire girls lacrosse game can be played without a single shooting space by either team taking place. I have witnessed many games being officiated by certified refs who don't call shooting space all game long. This happens often and usually a few girls are hit by shots WITHOUT A DANGEROUS SHOT BEING CALLED as well.
This is a place to FINALLY PUT THE SPOT LIGHT on the officiating. The safety of the players are being compromised by many of these refs who often don't even know all the rules!!

SO GO AHEAD AND POST YOUR EXPERIENCES FROM THIS SUMMER AND THE UPCOMING SEASON AND TAKE OUR SURVEY.

L.I. Girls Lax Officiating
single choice
Votes accepted starting:
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: L.I. Girls High School Officials; Good, Bad or Ugly?
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would say that my biggest problem is inconsistency. Even in the same game the two refs call the game completely different making players unable to gauge their play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would say that my biggest problem is inconsistency. Even in the same game the two refs call the game completely different making players unable to gauge their play.
My biggest problem is there is nobody overseeing the officials!!! Where is the quality assurance? Something needs to be done about the variation of the calls depending on the official!! There are officials out there that are clearly one sided against one of the teams!! Who is checking up on the officials!!! Sickening.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My biggest problem is there is nobody overseeing the officials!!! Where is the quality assurance? Something needs to be done about the variation of the calls depending on the official!! There are officials out there that are clearly one sided against one of the teams!! Who is checking up on the officials!!! Sickening.

Very true and considering the accolades and attention teams get when they win the officials play a big role. They control and change the outcome of games depending on their friendships. We have all seen it and it is OBVIOUS! What is the next step???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are they high number of injuries you're referring to a direct relation to being hit by a shot?

I have 2 daughters playing and have yet to see a serious injury (keep someone out of the game) from a shot.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are they high number of injuries you're referring to a direct relation to being hit by a shot?

I have 2 daughters playing and have yet to see a serious injury (keep someone out of the game) from a shot.

Lack of shooting space calls leads directly to injuries such as being hit in the face or body by the ball or the stick during the follow through. If you watched the women's D1 finals the UNC girls face was bloodied from a shot. I don't know how old your 2 girls are but it happens a lot. Count your blessings.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lack of shooting space calls leads directly to injuries such as being hit in the face or body by the ball or the stick during the follow through. If you watched the women's D1 finals the UNC girls face was bloodied from a shot. I don't know how old your 2 girls are but it happens a lot. Count your blessings.

I am surprised there is not more outrage at the state of officiating. Has anyone seen some of these games? These officials with a few exceptions are completely ridiculous. Even the way they speak to the players. They demand sportsmanship yet talk to them like s#]t. Nothing will change unless we force the change!!! I challenge anyone to go to MSG Varsity Interactive ch614 and watch playoff games from this year and last. The amount of bad calls and non calls is staggering. Anyone else performing their job this way WOULD BE FIRED! Why not the same standard....they do get paid after all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am surprised there is not more outrage at the state of officiating. Has anyone seen some of these games? These officials with a few exceptions are completely ridiculous. Even the way they speak to the players. They demand sportsmanship yet talk to them like s#]t. Nothing will change unless we force the change!!! I challenge anyone to go to MSG Varsity Interactive ch614 and watch playoff games from this year and last. The amount of bad calls and non calls is staggering. Anyone else performing their job this way WOULD BE FIRED! Why not the same standard....they do get paid after all.

Huh?

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
If you have not already done so please take the survey. Also feel free to post your experiences with officials.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I'd say the officiating is random at best, and really bad at its worst. I've got a defender so I'd really like to see dangerous shots get called before she gets hit. My kid once took a stick to the head, requiring stitches, but there was no foul because the ref didn't see it happen.

There is also the sense that LI refs call things differently than in MD, NJ, PA or VA. Every state's refs seem to see things differently, you never know what you're going to get until you're in the midst of a game.

I think there should be a fitness test for the refs too (all sports), because some of them can't get up and down the field, so how on earth can they make responsible calls?

It's a thankless job, though. Those refs get yelled at from the first whistle to the last. I wouldn't want the job. I find the most yelling is when parents feel the reffing is one sided. If a ref is making mistakes but calling it badly for both sides, then it's a little easier to shrug off.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
I'd say the officiating is random at best, and really bad at its worst. I've got a defender so I'd really like to see dangerous shots get called before she gets hit. My kid once took a stick to the head, requiring stitches, but there was no foul because the ref didn't see it happen.

There is also the sense that LI refs call things differently than in MD, NJ, PA or VA. Every state's refs seem to see things differently, you never know what you're going to get until you're in the midst of a game.

I think there should be a fitness test for the refs too (all sports), because some of them can't get up and down the field, so how on earth can they make responsible calls?

It's a thankless job, though. Those refs get yelled at from the first whistle to the last. I wouldn't want the job. I find the most yelling is when parents feel the reffing is one sided. If a ref is making mistakes but calling it badly for both sides, then it's a little easier to shrug off.

I would also add that there are officials that have been fired as coaches due to their behavior in the past only to find a home as an official. Mind blowing really....and still no outrage?!?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

I would also add that there are officials that have been fired as coaches due to their behavior in the past only to find a home as an official. Mind blowing really....and still no outrage?!?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Simply not enough ref's, that's a big part of the problem. Step up, be part of the solution.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I voted two days ago and posted but it never made the board?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Poll results so far.

66% bad
34% good

Very telling. How many of the good votes were from refs!

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User

Thanks for participating! I don't have control over the issues you are having. The moderator does however if you dont mind reposting your thoughts that would be great.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Steppin'Out

Thanks for participating! I don't have control over the issues you are having. The moderator does however if you dont mind reposting your thoughts that would be great.
Nothing from this discussion thread has been removed - please repost your thoughts on this topic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Poll results so far.

66% bad
34% good

Very telling. How many of the good votes were from refs!

Does anyone have any information on the system used for selecting and certifying officials in Suffolk and Nassau county for girls lax?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of them

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there is none, cant you tell.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it's amazing that apparently there is no oversight to speak of. These officials are entrusted with protecting our girls by controlling the game. For example calling dangerous shots, pushes and shooting space/obstruction correctly. All this talk about helmets garner massive headlines and news stories yet helmets don't impact the safety of a girls player as much as a properly officiated game does and officials are an after thought it seems with little or no oversight and evaluation. Any Thoughts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it's amazing that apparently there is no oversight to speak of. These officials are entrusted with protecting our girls by controlling the game. For example calling dangerous shots, pushes and shooting space/obstruction correctly. All this talk about helmets garner massive headlines and news stories yet helmets don't impact the safety of a girls player as much as a properly officiated game does and officials are an after thought it seems with little or no oversight and evaluation. Any Thoughts?

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard