Fall Showcases are Now Open - First up is the Labor Day D1scovery Day Showcase for Boys & Girls | Send us your commitment story & Contact us for Lacrosse Events boosting. Keep Laxin'!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,207
Posts346,893
Members2,497
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Boys 2023-11th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The Army kid is going to do a PG year at prep. Not going directly to Army.

A good percentage of kids who come from public schools go to MAPS (military academy prep school)or NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School) Transition to one of the academies from a public school is very difficult some have no problems and can do it. The Academic advisors usually recommend it. It has nothing to do with sports

It has nothing to do with where the kid went to HS or academic advisors . It is determined by the student’s academic credentials. There is a line, if you are above the line you go directly to the academy. If you are below the line you go to prep. The coaches would like just about all the kids to go to prep (who wouldn’t) but it’s not up to them.

The Prep School also gives kids who cannot get the Nomination a direct line to WP. They dont need it for the prep school and dont need it to go from prep to WP. Its not always academics.

You may want to look into that again. The prep year is just that, preparation. They still need to get the grades and the nomination to get it. It just gives them more time.

You don't need the usual congressional nomination to go to any of the prep schools, though I believe you still have to apply for them the same way as everyone else. If the school wants you after your prep year, you'll just be given a nomination from the Secretary of X (or whatever they're using these days to get athletes from the prep schools to the academies).

They definitely do/will still need the grades, but the nomination is a given if they offer you the prep year.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Find another team
How about FLG? I heard they are getting everyone recruited.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess this thread is dead all about the Boys HS thread now. Quick question are most of the 2023 boys playing summer ball this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess this thread is dead all about the Boys HS thread now. Quick question are most of the 2023 boys playing summer ball this year?
YES because they'll be playing as Seniors next year. Class A summer league has great talent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, Last season of Travel competition and chance for last phase of recruiting showcases. Little to no Fall ball, unless with school teams. Then final Senior year.

Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, Last season of Travel competition and chance for last phase of recruiting showcases. Little to no Fall ball, unless with school teams. Then final Senior year.

Fall ball???? Isn't that called football?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone heading to Delaware this weekend?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
showcase in garden ctiy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nope.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GC was terrible. No balls on end lines . grass beat to $hit and it’s only June. little nets on a handful of fields. Kids are too big and too good to be played in that facility
Balls flying everywhere
New venue needed

Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GC was terrible. No balls on end lines . grass beat to $hit and it’s only June. little nets on a handful of fields. Kids are too big and too good to be played in that facility
Balls flying everywhere
New venue needed

Yeah, ball hunt any time it went out of bounds. How did everyone do? Hard for me to feel better/worse about my sons team without standings lol.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

How much pull do the D3 schools have with admissions?
We all know that the D1 schools have massive pull to get their top recruits in, and often make big academic/score exceptions for top recruits. Is it the same at D3's?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot if a top program. D3 is the gem.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

We all know that the D1 schools have massive pull to get their top recruits in, and often make big academic/score exceptions for top recruits. Is it the same at D3's?

Yes D1, D2 & D3 coaches all have a pull with admissions. If the player is good they will go to bat for them. They will also make sure you get some merit money.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

It depends on the school. Some of the higher academic schools have no pull such as MIT. Some of the higher academics have a little pull and have some athletics slots with admission but not all slots. But the majority of D3 do have pull but if a kid is way below the standards of the school, there is only 1 slot if any at all. But if the kid is close the athletics will help.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MIT does have some pull but less than the other D3 high academic schools. Overall the higher academic D3 schools can help athletes get in but the athletes must be "close" to the average admitted student.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

It depends on the school. Some of the higher academic schools have no pull such as MIT. Some of the higher academics have a little pull and have some athletics slots with admission but not all slots. But the majority of D3 do have pull but if a kid is way below the standards of the school, there is only 1 slot if any at all. But if the kid is close the athletics will help.

Very little pull, and if someone told you the D-1 schools have massive pull they are lying, they don't. Duje isn't letting in a kid with sub-standard grades, Ivy's are not getting a kid in who isn't a top scholar, D-2 schools are not very competitive academically, so no pull needed there, they just have massive tuition costs so a lot of academic money is needed, so a good SAT score will be required there. Amherst and the rest of the NESAC schools are a no-go without top academics. not sure where you're getting information from but it seems way off here. Went through this already with a couple of kids, so you may want to email a few coaches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

Very little pull, and if someone told you the D-1 schools have massive pull they are lying, they don't. Duje isn't letting in a kid with sub-standard grades, Ivy's are not getting a kid in who isn't a top scholar, D-2 schools are not very competitive academically, so no pull needed there, they just have massive tuition costs so a lot of academic money is needed, so a good SAT score will be required there. Amherst and the rest of the NESAC schools are a no-go without top academics. not sure where you're getting information from but it seems way off here. Went through this already with a couple of kids, so you may want to email a few coaches.

I’m not sure where you get your information from, the Duke and the Ivy’s 100% will get in a mediocre student IF he is one of the top players in the class. Notre Dame on the other hand has very little wiggle room when it comes to academics.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

I wouldn’t say very little pull but the kid needs to be in the ballpark. Many of the coaches have told us if the school takes usually 3.8 and above someone with a 3.6-3.7 with athletics may get a shot (with the exception of schools like MIT). And they all encourage SAT/ACT even if the they are test optional. And they may reserve one spot for someone much more below the standards but they have to be an exceptional player.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

I’m not sure where you get your information from, the Duke and the Ivy’s 100% will get in a mediocre student IF he is one of the top players in the class. Notre Dame on the other hand has very little wiggle room when it comes to academics.

Getting my information from coaches when my older went through the process. You're completely wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

Yes D1, D2 & D3 coaches all have a pull with admissions. If the player is good they will go to bat for them. They will also make sure you get some merit money.

This is right,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

Getting my information from coaches when my older went through the process. You're completely wrong.

Ivy kid came back and talked to the kids on our club team a few years ago and fully admitted there was no way he could have gotten in without lacrosse. Generally they have to be close but there are a few mediocre students that get accepted. And by mediocre I still mean pretty good but not IVY league good

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
S2S just got beat by rebels, they have 2 AA players. S2S in going no where. Come to rebels

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
S2S just got beat by rebels, they have 2 AA players. S2S in going no where. Come to rebels

Rebels are not playing and have not played S2S this season. Don’t abuse the medicine cabinet

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Um….travel lax is done for these kids.time to live on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As the sun sets on the 2023’s travel season. I have to say I am disappointed in the help that my sons team gave him in the recruiting process. He has always been on the B team but has talent. In looking at the recruiting numbers from the various clubs did any give help? Should be a big wake up call to the parents with younger kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As the sun sets on the 2023’s travel season. I have to say I am disappointed in the help that my sons team gave him in the recruiting process. He has always been on the B team but has talent. In looking at the recruiting numbers from the various clubs did any give help? Should be a big wake up call to the parents with younger kids.

Top tier talent gets help by getting invites to the top individual showcases. It’s really on the parents and kids to get recruited. They have to do the leg work.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because people sit around and wait for help. You have to do all the work, contact the coaches, send film and display interest. Especially on a B team. And then when you have a potential fit and good engagement, that is when the club should help. Not a second before. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed. Really all of the heavy lifting is done by the parents/kid. Be realistic in expectations but be proactive. Some of the interest he is getting is from tourneys/showcases. But it’s us selling him. Nothing from the club. Frankly not that I expected much.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because people sit around and wait for help. You have to do all the work, contact the coaches, send film and display interest. Especially on a B team. And then when you have a potential fit and good engagement, that is when the club should help. Not a second before. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

And some of what he kind of finally realized now is that lax isn’t everything. He could go to a number of schools that are after him, but take lax out and he’s not in love with most. He really is going to decide what school he wants and if they have lax, great. Even just club. Can’t say I don’t like his rationale. Make the decisions for the right decisions. And believe me I see a lot of kids in town that are part of the lax clique, holier that though, now at a loss that their superstar is not getting traction like they assumed would happen for years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting question:

Ivy kid came back and talked to the kids on our club team a few years ago and fully admitted there was no way he could have gotten in without lacrosse. Generally they have to be close but there are a few mediocre students that get accepted. And by mediocre I still mean pretty good but not IVY league good

Ivy kid, not a coach a kid. Talk to a coach please. And don’t get any information here, it’s not valid

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree that all the kids and parents have to do the leg work but much of the recruiting process is built in connections. With tens of thousands of kids looking for spots, highlight videos, emails prospect days and showcases will get you almost nowhere for at least the top colleges . Coaches say they get hundreds of emails and videos and don’t have time to read or look at them. For the top colleges, recruiting help is needed from the clubs (or high schools) and for the amount of money people are shelling out for clubs the least they can do is do some outreach in the kids behalf and open the door. Then the kid can take over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just needed to interject. Now that Travel is "wrapping up", I am happy to say that my son has committed to a D1 program. However, I must add that it wasn't without doing a lot of the leg work ourselves. You must be pro-active with highlights, prospect days and showcases. It was a long process and an emotional roller coaster.

Most colleges wanted to "see junior play during the season". This is where the coaches will see directly the caliber of player your son is. A lot depends on the particular schools' "needs" for that graduating class as well. Yes, it helps to have the high school and Travel coach provide info/support for your son. They are not magicians! They can't make schools look at your son. Your son/yourself need to continue to provide info and proof that supports your son's candidacy for the particular College. Travel originally was meant for kids to play against "better" competition. Today, it is partly true. Every kid, if able to pay, basically can make a travel team on some level. Once you are in contact with the Universities, then you need to be pro-active with letting both coaches know your interest, etc. so they can further the contacts/conversation. We also need to realize that our kids may not be as good as we think they are and maybe can't play for the level of school we are searching for. Also, I have experienced "crazy parents and players" over the years in HS and Travel. Do you think a coach would go to bat for them? Just some examples and feedback from past experiences. Best of Luck

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard