Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Bearded_Kaos - 07/03/22 03:31 PM
Boys 2028-6th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 03:07 PM
Girls 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 03:01 PM
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 02:44 PM
Girls 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 02:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,151
Posts341,550
Members2,463
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 41 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 40 41
Re: MD Girls 2028
Anonymous #386022 06/21/22 10:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Everything you hear about Skywalkers is true. They will continue to attract talent, spending time on all the skills for all the players will become a benefit instead of a liability, they will continue to get better, and will be highly recruited when it matters. Are they going to win this weekend? Probably not but they are better and will be even better next year. They may be too good when you realize your daughter should have tried out a year earlier.

Curious what team you are referring too and if you are speaking with first hand knowledge or as a 3rd party? Might help our family make the decision on which teams to tryout for this year and which to avoid.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #386027 06/21/22 11:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College coaches recruit good players. They actually watch teams with losing records and who don’t win tourney tshirts every weekend. They definitely don’t watch girls sitting in the bench on premier teams.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386030 06/22/22 12:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to get some perspectives. Is it off that a coach only play 14 kids out of a full roster? Not just one game but multiple consecutive games? Not championship game and not top 20 teams. Even the kids on the field complained that they can't run anymore. Many if not most of the benched kids were not weaker players than many kids who played a full game, may be weaker than the best player on team but not compared to the 14th kid. To make this worse, both kids and parents were blind-sided.

Is it right? No. Does it happen too much? without a doubt. The girls who aren't playing are pretty much subsidizing those you are.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386049 06/22/22 07:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to get some perspectives. Is it off that a coach only play 14 kids out of a full roster? Not just one game but multiple consecutive games? Not championship game and not top 20 teams. Even the kids on the field complained that they can't run anymore. Many if not most of the benched kids were not weaker players than many kids who played a full game, may be weaker than the best player on team but not compared to the 14th kid. To make this worse, both kids and parents were blind-sided.

Is it right? No. Does it happen too much? without a doubt. The girls who aren't playing are pretty much subsidizing those you are.

OP? Does your club have a policy about playing time? It might be something you should ask about prior to tryouts.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386064 06/22/22 08:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OP? Does your club have a policy about playing time? It might be something you should ask about prior to tryouts.
I believe most clubs state that playing time isn't guaranteed. It's based off many factors; including lacrosse skill and practice attendance/intensity. This is Club lacrosse, not rec lacrosse. A lot of girls getting the playing time put in extra training outside of scheduled practice. Unfortunately, some clubs accept players for financial support rather than lacrosse skill.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #386068 06/22/22 08:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OP here: Does it really happen that much in this age group. I can certainly see it in older age group but 14 girls can't really play several games in a row without subbing. They don't have that stamina yet. I understand the mentality of playing to win and I'm okay with that. But 14 girls? How about 16-18 in each game and with the your truly 6-8 top girls staying in and the rest can be on the field with playing time according to their ability?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386070 06/22/22 08:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OP here. Policy is that you have to earn your playing time which I don't have a problem with. I am just wondering at this age group, is there truly 14 kids in any club who stand out so much better than the rest of the group and that they can play several games in a row without subbing. Even in college games, they play one game a day and they sub more than 2 people in a game.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386076 06/22/22 09:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OP here: Does it really happen that much in this age group. I can certainly see it in older age group but 14 girls can't really play several games in a row without subbing. They don't have that stamina yet. I understand the mentality of playing to win and I'm okay with that. But 14 girls? How about 16-18 in each game and with the your truly 6-8 top girls staying in and the rest can be on the field with playing time according to their ability?

Not playing your bench much when I counts certainly happens, but this specific scenario seems very odd. Not even subbing midis in back-to-back summer games? Has anyone asked what was up? Were they in contention for a tournament playoff? Only thing I can think was they were trying to keep goals allowed low/goals scored high in the event they needed it as a tie breaker and they thought they needed that specific crew to do it. Otherwise why not sub your bench in games against easier teams?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386079 06/22/22 09:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OP here. Policy is that you have to earn your playing time which I don't have a problem with. I am just wondering at this age group, is there truly 14 kids in any club who stand out so much better than the rest of the group and that they can play several games in a row without subbing. Even in college games, they play one game a day and they sub more than 2 people in a game.

Not exactly the same situation, but my DD team is a low level A/high B team and their best players never come out in any game. That is more about the necessity for them to stay in due to 2 issues. Lack of subs and lack of quality subs. It's unfortunate as you mention, the top players all get tired and don't play as well when tired etc. It's not the fact that good players are sitting on the bench and the coach just won't play them, it's the fact that the top players have to stay on the field for any remote chance of winning or being competitive. The limited subs is an issue. If your case is where only 14 players play and there's a good set of subs, that doesn't seem right. I think in most cases where limited players play, its usually due to lack of subs and lack of quality subs.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386086 06/22/22 10:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not playing your bench much when I counts certainly happens, but this specific scenario seems very odd. Not even subbing midis in back-to-back summer games? Has anyone asked what was up? Were they in contention for a tournament playoff? Only thing I can think was they were trying to keep goals allowed low/goals scored high in the event they needed it as a tie breaker and they thought they needed that specific crew to do it. Otherwise why not sub your bench in games against easier teams?

SW doesn’t really care about wins/losses until going into 8th grade. They tend to focus on fundamentals and getting everyone to a certain level of competency and get them game experience.

As they get older, the bench gets shorter

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #386100 06/22/22 10:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cant really compare college level play to 6th grade level play. Games are a lot shorter with a running game clock. With 22 minutes halves most are only getting in about 15 minutes of actual game play (depending on how many goals are scored and how quick the refs are to set up the next draw). If the starting middies are running the whole game I can see that as a possible issue, but most teams have two reliable midfield lines.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386158 06/22/22 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe most clubs state that playing time isn't guaranteed. It's based off many factors; including lacrosse skill and practice attendance/intensity. This is Club lacrosse, not rec lacrosse. A lot of girls getting the playing time put in extra training outside of scheduled practice. Unfortunately, some clubs accept players for financial support rather than lacrosse skill.

I know equal playing time is not guaranteed, nor should it be because like you said it is club and not rec. However, I don't think at this age there should be an entire tournament that goes by where kids never see the field. If a kid is that bad that being on the field for even a shoet amount of time can cause you to lose multiple games, then why are they on the team?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386164 06/22/22 03:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know equal playing time is not guaranteed, nor should it be because like you said it is club and not rec. However, I don't think at this age there should be an entire tournament that goes by where kids never see the field. If a kid is that bad that being on the field for even a shoet amount of time can cause you to lose multiple games, then why are they on the team?

I think this is the right answer. It is a cowardly way for a coach/club to let a family know that it is time to move on. There are many other places to play 6th grade lacrosse and I am sure these girls can find a place easily.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386165 06/22/22 03:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ABSOLUTELY!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #386201 06/22/22 11:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I would like to get some perspectives. Is it off that a coach only play 14 kids out of a full roster? Not just one game but multiple consecutive games? Not championship game and not top 20 teams. Even the kids on the field complained that they can't run anymore. Many if not most of the benched kids were not weaker players than many kids who played a full game, may be weaker than the best player on team but not compared to the 14th kid. To make this worse, both kids and parents were blind-sided.

Exactly! Integrity is an example of this- their 26 team took 5 girls after summer tryouts going into NGLL w 27 on the roster. So important going into tryouts to ask what their policy is, AFTER tryouts are done/over the winter. Hearing that made me rethink our plans for tryouts in AA county. Playing time is so important moving into MS, then HS years. Our girls won’t grow as players if they don’t have game experience. More time on lower A teams is so much more important than never seeing the field on some teams.

Like Reply Quote
Page 28 of 41 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 40 41
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard