BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 54 of 144 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 143 144
Re: Long Island Express Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now that the summer tournament season is over, any reflective thoughts about whether the Express B and C teams were worth the $2,400? There is a rumor that it will approach $3,000 this time around but I don't think anyone has confirmation of that yet. Specifically, I'm interested in the recruiting value/exposure of those B and C team experiences. I have a 2017 son and thinking about switching from another program where he is not likely to get much exposure but not sure he'll make the Express "A" team even though he's a "starter" wherever he plays. In the event that he doesn't make the "A", I'm trying to look ahead a year or two and see if its still worth moving him. In particular, I'd like to hear from the current 2016 and 2015 Express B and C team parents as to whether you thought the $2,400 price was equal/better/below the perceived value for you sons. I'm less interested in hearing about coaches, training etc...to me that is a given for this program. I'm more interested hearing about exposure to college coaches, playing in high profile tournaments etc. What did you think of the schedule and the competition? Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is dumb as rocks, I am behind in my house payments but we are very confident he will get some money from a d2 school where you only need an 800 on the sat to get in. Definitly worth the investment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Now that the summer tournament season is over, any reflective thoughts about whether the Express B and C teams were worth the $2,400? There is a rumor that it will approach $3,000 this time around but I don't think anyone has confirmation of that yet. Specifically, I'm interested in the recruiting value/exposure of those B and C team experiences. I have a 2017 son and thinking about switching from another program where he is not likely to get much exposure but not sure he'll make the Express "A" team even though he's a "starter" wherever he plays. In the event that he doesn't make the "A", I'm trying to look ahead a year or two and see if its still worth moving him. In particular, I'd like to hear from the current 2016 and 2015 Express B and C team parents as to whether you thought the $2,400 price was equal/better/below the perceived value for you sons. I'm less interested in hearing about coaches, training etc...to me that is a given for this program. I'm more interested hearing about exposure to college coaches, playing in high profile tournaments etc. What did you think of the schedule and the competition? Thanks.

Express doesn't put the B and C teams in top tournaments. They play lesser tournaments so they have a chance to win and they can advertise it on the website.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If he's a starter at another program and they do decent tournaments, stay there. The recruiting process is what you make of it. Target the schools he's interested and focus on getting them to his games. Start sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
It is always better to be in A team than a B or C. The brand doesn't matter to college coaches. Only the quality if player and competition. Express A team can hold their own with anyone. B /C teams play in less competitive tournaments. If your kid is a "starter" elsewhere he is probably better staying put.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bottom line question - would you do a B or C team again during the prime recruiting years if the price tag approached $3,000? On a scale of 1-10 what was the recruiting value/experience for the 2015 and 2016 B & C teams? Would just doing targeted recruiting events (college specific prospect days, Jake Reed etc..) be better bang for the recruiting buck or was there some recruiting benefit to the Express B/C experience that one should be aware of? Did you feel like your kid got no exposure, modest exposure or terrific exposure to college coaches while playing for the Express B/C? Please, thoughtful answers only - looking for real informaion to help us decide allocation of limited financial resources. If we spent this money on Express it probably means we wouldn't do nearly as many college specific prospect days, Jake Reed etc. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Put your limited resources toward College days and showcases. No club can offer that exposure. Remember these club tournaments the exposure is fleeting and your son may not even be in the game when certain schools are watching. Years ago when there was not that's my exposure opportunities the clubs made a lot if sense. Today they have value but it is not as great as years ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The recruiting experience is a function if what you put into it. Being in a B/C team does you no good. We got no help from the club beyond the bare minimum . They only help the best players who ironically don't need the help

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We just went through it with and every case is different, will your current club be able to get him into Jake Reed or Maverik Showtime? because no way Express is giving up one of those spots to a new player unless it was/is per-negotiated. Can you discuss this decision with your HS coach, that could be a huge help in making this decision, and lastly try to talk to older kids in your program and see how the program was for them. Lots of kids still getting D1 spots that never played travel only camps and their town summer team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bottom line question - would you do a B or C team again during the prime recruiting years if the price tag approached $3,000? On a scale of 1-10 what was the recruiting value/experience for the 2015 and 2016 B & C teams? Would just doing targeted recruiting events (college specific prospect days, Jake Reed etc..) be better bang for the recruiting buck or was there some recruiting benefit to the Express B/C experience that one should be aware of? Did you feel like your kid got no exposure, modest exposure or terrific exposure to college coaches while playing for the Express B/C? Please, thoughtful answers only - looking for real informaion to help us decide allocation of limited financial resources. If we spent this money on Express it probably means we wouldn't do nearly as many college specific prospect days, Jake Reed etc. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks.

The kids don't get to choose to go to jake reed. There is a vetting process.
If ur son is starting and has shown improvement and likes his friends there; why not try then to make the A squad? Try outs are where he can shine.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
<<Post Deleted - Please take a moment and be sure to familiarize yourself with the BOTC Tryout Posting Rules and Regulations. The details can be found here.>>

Last edited by CageSage; . Reason: Content Removed
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
<<Post Deleted - Please take a moment and be sure to familiarize yourself with the BOTC Tryout Posting Rules and Regulations. The details can be found here.>>

Cage - I love you and your site but I do disagree with this policy, I appreciate you are making a living and this is a business but the tryout dates are the single most important info we can get from this site and it seems like there should be some way of allowing it as part of a discussion without allowing full fledged advertising.

Information is what drives most of us to this awesome site

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Cage - I love you and your site but I do disagree with this policy, I appreciate you are making a living and this is a business but the tryout dates are the single most important info we can get from this site and it seems like there should be some way of allowing it as part of a discussion without allowing full fledged advertising.

Information is what drives most of us to this awesome site
There are ways to get tryout information into the community without advertising.
  • Clubs that advertise free tryouts can post here on BOTC. See the Hitmen tryouts on the Tryouts Forum. (You are aware that this is how the True Blue club started, right?) Clubs that do NOT charge the community are free for you to see. So while you disagree with the policy, ask yourself who is advocating for the lacrosse community at that point? You will quickly see that BOTC is supporting the community.
  • Search all of the clubs on the right side of our display manually and pull information that suits your needs. Ironically, if you go to before November 2010 when we launched, most readers would not have had a clue on their options. Furthermore, second and third grade developmental programs have begun to emerge thanks to BOTC placements.
Leverage the BOTC Tryout Index to expand your search conveniently. The Index provides a view of the clubs by dates, genders, and age groups.

Whether you agree or disagree does not matter - you are anonymous and it is our advertisers who have stepped up to the plate to support the forum. You hit the nail on the head when you said that BOTC is a business - the clubs are a business also. Why is BOTC expected to provide free services when the clubs themselves do not? Are you pressuring your local club to lower tryout fees?

Write me a private note at cagesage@backofthecage.com and we can discuss your objections further.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The kids don't get to choose to go to jake reed. There is a vetting process.
If ur son is starting and has shown improvement and likes his friends there; why not try then to make the A squad? Try outs are where he can shine.

Channy charging 100 for tryouts,not worth your money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good waste anyones time trying out got to another club and leave those of ud that are happy alone

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good waste anyones time trying out got to another club and leave those of ud that are happy alone

Huh? Me Caveman, me type with feet and no brain.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That a post after tipping back a few red solo cups? Im with you bro, I understood your point.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For those of you that do not speak Sylvester Stallone fluently I will try to decipher.....

It was less than a pleasure to hear you recently opine the value of the Long Island Express tryout fees, please do not waste the time of the coaches and the evaluators as well as the other players that do want to play on the Express by going to a tryout for a team and organization you have no desire to play for. Please do not make disparaging comments about the team and organization that many of us enjoy being a part of.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Huh? Me Caveman, me type with feet and no brain.

"Tatted up" blue collar, muscle Ts, red Solos, Suffolk, East Nassau and South Shore foreva "bro". Love it or leave it. Try hoity toity Nassau North Shore (fl$) if you don't feel comfortable typing with your feet.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Ditto

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you register to try-out, do you attend both days or is the 2nd day a callback?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will never try out again with the Express. Here were the lowlights. $125 for two days of watching a Turtle Exhibition. 10 minutes of playing time for new kids. Seeing parents of kids potentially going to St Anthony's and Chaminade "working" the coaches. If your child is a superstar and going to private this is the place for you. If your child has potential, but needs developing, good luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you register to try-out, do you attend both days or is the 2nd day a callback?

Both Days...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will never try out again with the Express. Here were the lowlights. $125 for two days of watching a Turtle Exhibition. 10 minutes of playing time for new kids. Seeing parents of kids potentially going to St Anthony's and Chaminade "working" the coaches. If your child is a superstar and going to private this is the place for you. If your child has potential, but needs developing, good luck.

thank you for this insight, haven't heard anything like this before, sounds like a bad deal by very mean men

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thank you for this insight, haven't heard anything like this before, sounds like a bad deal by very mean men

FYI...you do not try out for the Turtles. They pick what players they want to be on the team. Express tryouts are for only Express Players. "Very mean men"...really??? Remember this is a business...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like your son should not tryout for express for 2 reasons
1. Needs some more skills
2. You already have a chip on your shoulder and have turtle envy

Seriously, bashing those whom like the organization and these incredibly talented kids on lie is getting old. You need to concentrate on your own child(ren) and hope they find a spot where they will reach their goals.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FYI...you do not try out for the Turtles. They pick what players they want to be on the team. Express tryouts are for only Express Players. "Very mean men"...really??? Remember this is a business...

The Turtles were at the tryouts the past few years & the poster is correct in his assessment of the tryout for Express

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seriously, bashing those whom like the organization and these incredibly talented kids on lie is getting old. You need to concentrate on your own child(ren) and hope they find a spot where they will reach their goals.

Wow, I guess your reading comprehension skills are not very good. The original poster did not in any way bash the Turtle kids or any other kids. He was simply and accurately I might say how the Express tryouts are run. He also pointed out correctly how if your kid is not a private school "superstar" then the Express is not for you, Straight up $100 money grab. Sorry to break the news to you but the lacrosse world does not revolve around the Turtles or the Express.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

post #1 - blah - blah - blah express sucks
post #2 - sarcasm - too subtle for some
post #3 - stupidity

you kids never cease to amaze

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, I guess your reading comprehension skills are not very good. The original poster did not in any way bash the Turtle kids or any other kids. He was simply and accurately I might say how the Express tryouts are run. He also pointed out correctly how if your kid is not a private school "superstar" then the Express is not for you, Straight up $100 money grab. Sorry to break the news to you but the lacrosse world does not revolve around the Turtles or the Express.

Who said that it did????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am confused. Please honest answers from people that know first hand not what they heard. My son is a very good 2021 player. He has been asked to tryout by several teams and a couple elite. No contact yet with Express. Will he get a fair tryout or will he be sitting on the sidelines? He has no desire to attend private school. Will this hurt his chances to remain on the team or playing time if he makes it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine plays on Express 2018 and will not be attending private school. I have watched try-outs for three years at this age group and I have always known try-out to be run very well. Most of the time is drills and then a scrimage at the end.

At least for this age group, there are ussually more than 100 kids trying out and they are all getting two quality practices. I do agree that it is hard for a new kid to break through unless he simply has a great tryout and the coaches happen to see him at the right time.

But for the $100, you get to see where your kid is compared to the others...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am confused. Please honest answers from people that know first hand not what they heard. My son is a very good 2021 player. He has been asked to tryout by several teams and a couple elite. No contact yet with Express. Will he get a fair tryout or will he be sitting on the sidelines? He has no desire to attend private school. Will this hurt his chances to remain on the team or playing time if he makes it?

STAY AWAY. Its a lot of money, they carry a big roster. The coaches kids play ALL game while other kids barely get on the field. There are a lot of other clubs licking their chops because Express is losing a bunch of really really good players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine plays on Express 2018 and will not be attending private school. I have watched try-outs for three years at this age group and I have always known try-out to be run very well. Most of the time is drills and then a scrimage at the end.

At least for this age group, there are ussually more than 100 kids trying out and they are all getting two quality practices. I do agree that it is hard for a new kid to break through unless he simply has a great tryout and the coaches happen to see him at the right time.

But for the $100, you get to see where your kid is compared to the others...

Also a 2018 parent and agree with the above except that it is possible to make the team as a new player, the 2018 Orange is a pretty good team yet had around 5 new players make the team at last years tryouts, and 2 of the kids where new to travel lacrosse and unknown to the coaches

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

STAY AWAY. Its a lot of money, they carry a big roster. The coaches kids play ALL game while other kids barely get on the field. There are a lot of other clubs licking their chops because Express is losing a bunch of really really good players.

FIRST, stay away from the 'stay away' comment. Misinformed.

SECOND, call the Express organization and ask.

THIRD...my son made the 2021 Wolverine team last year as a new player...with no 'connections' and as a public school student, like many of the other players.

FOURTH, the tryouts were very fair, and we expect the same this year. The boys went thru many drills and game situations. Everyone got a fair look by multiple evaluators who continually walked up and down the field taking notes. Boys for the most part were busy, and there were short lines on many drills.

Hope that helps...honest and forthright...and perhaps we'll meet in the future!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

THIRD...my son made the 2021 Wolverine team last year as a new player...with no 'connections' and as a public school student, like many of the other players.

FOURTH, the tryouts were very fair, and we expect the same this year. The boys went thru many drills and game situations. Everyone got a fair look by multiple evaluators who continually walked up and down the field taking notes. Boys for the most part were busy, and there were short lines on many drills.

Just an FYI…When they talk about “private schools”, they are talking about The Catholic High Schools, not any elementary “private schools”…..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is the 2020 team? We never hear about this year. Competitive in the A division? How are the coaches and are spots available?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with your assessment of the Express try outs.
How many players were rostered on the 2021 Wolverines? I believe that is what the "stay away" comment was addressing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My so played for Express for one season 2 years ago. I was generally very happy with the organization. My son easily made the blue team (2nd best?) He was one of the best players on the team and stared every game. I'm sure he could have continued and excelled in this organization. The issue became the price. If you can afford, its great. With other kids, we found another organization that is half the price. We are very happy there as well. As for the Catholic school thing, I think it may be somewhat true, I know many kids that play for Express. If it comes down to two kids of equal talent, they will probably take the Catholic kid, however if you kid is clearly better, no need to worry.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a newbie. can someone explain to me what the turtles are? I Read a lot abot them but dont see them listed as a LI club on the right. Thanks

Like Reply Quote
Page 54 of 144 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 143 144
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard