BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,559
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Re: holdbacks
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do holdbacks have to wear those special padded helmets in the classroom. First time through a grade was hard enough. Don't want any injury's the 2nd time though.

They arent “hold backs.” They are “slow developers.”
Be more accepting. All kids deserve a chance to succeed. Even the ones who can’t compete with their true peers.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do holdbacks have to wear those special padded helmets in the classroom. First time through a grade was hard enough. Don't want any injury's the 2nd time though.

Be more accepting. All kids deserve a chance to succeed. Even the ones who can’t compete with their true peers.

Check out the ages of the Maryland Terps starters; don’t tell me college coaches and HS coaches aren’t pushing it. Men out there that are are 25+ yrs old playing college lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The bubble of extra year covid players will pass.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]What people often miss in this discussion is that there are enough of these older kids to form 1-2 “elite” teams in any age group/region. But there aren’t enough to support a whole top tier division.

So what happens? A few teams dominate the top divisions against teams that have some, but not as many, older kids

And the lacrosse games aren’t competitive.

As a result, kids in the top half of the talent curve simply dont develop as well because they are not challenging themselves or playing competitive games. Both the winners and losers in the elite, AAAA and AAA divisions suffer.

And because of this talent gap, lacrosse continues to be a small, regional-sport. Not growing the way others are.

This is one thing soccer gets right. Age-based is the way to go if you want to grow the game and raise the bar for the sport as a whole, across the country. That only happens with ensuring competitive games for the bulk of the kids and pushing the top kids to challenge themselves by playing up, not down.

Excellent points. I vote for the age cutoff to be my kid's birthdate. All in favor?

Spoken like a true holdback apologist. Age is the way of youth athletics , but it wouldnt let select players ( mainly prep school ) play down in age and dominate.

My feeling are, if you cant change to age based, then let everyone play down a grade if on age, That way you give the parents the choice to play with the holdbacks or not. Seems fair to me. Why let holdbacks and prefirsts get a advantage others dont. Youth is about attempting to make it a somewhat even playing field or same rules for all.

“Even playing field,” spoken like a true demented neo-xtian Progressive Liberal.
This continues to be a ridiculous conversation. The good players are playing on top teams and top schools where everyone has holdbacks and or pg's. The only ones who complain are the ones with delusions of their kids skill level. Once in HS none of it matters.....and if you are a holdback playing down before that youre simply not that good. Cost more than holdback has to do with lacrosse growth.So stop with the ridiculous statements. have Johnny hit the wall, man up and try to get better but dont worry if he doesnt win a t shirt and dont blame it on a holdback. Johnny simply isnt that good and youre not getting invited to the party so youre bitter. Signed- Proud holdback Dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everybody has to be equal says the neo-xtian, Progressive Liberal dimwits. Biden is very proud of you. lol

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check out the ages of the Maryland Terps starters; don’t tell me college coaches and HS coaches aren’t pushing it. Men out there that are are 25+ yrs old playing college lacrosse

I spent 4-years in the military after high school and then played varsity sports for 4-years in college. I was 25 years old when I graduated but I guess serving one’s country doesn’t hold water for a patriot like you! Happy Memorial Day

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I spent 4-years in the military after high school and then played varsity sports for 4-years in college. I was 25 years old when I graduated but I guess serving one’s country doesn’t hold water for a patriot like you! Happy Memorial Day

I’m pretty sure none of the men on the Md squad were in the military so your argument is invalid. Thank you for your service and your poor sarcasm. #martyr

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This continues to be a ridiculous conversation. The good players are playing on top teams and top schools where everyone has holdbacks and or pg's. The only ones who complain are the ones with delusions of their kids skill level. Once in HS none of it matters.....and if you are a holdback playing down before that youre simply not that good. Cost more than holdback has to do with lacrosse growth.So stop with the ridiculous statements. have Johnny hit the wall, man up and try to get better but dont worry if he doesnt win a t shirt and dont blame it on a holdback. Johnny simply isnt that good and youre not getting invited to the party so youre bitter. Signed- Proud holdback Dad[/quote]

This post is ridiculous! Your son can’t make it in his own grade so drop him back to play against younger kids. Maybe you should of had your less talented kid man up and hit the wall more.

Proud on age- Dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m pretty sure none of the men on the Md squad were in the military so your argument is invalid. Thank you for your service and your poor sarcasm. #martyr

Wow! holdback whiners show themselves to be self-centered anti-Americans. That’s pathetic.
Also, don’t thank the guy for his service when you could care less about anything other than yourself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow! holdback whiners show themselves to be self-centered anti-Americans. That’s pathetic.
Also, don’t thank the guy for his service when you could care less about anything other than yourself.

No one is whining; just making a point that holdbacks are part of lacrosse and not going anywhere. Our military friend is the one who made assumptions. Don’t make this into something it’s not!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop criticizing holdbacks. This isn’t a sports thing. Parents almost always hold their kids back because they are struggling academically, maturity-wise or socially and need a leg up. The field is a safe haven where they can build self
confidence, and overcome those other shortcomings. Even if it is against younger kids. Let them have the win. They need the boost.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop criticizing holdbacks. This isn’t a sports thing. Parents almost always hold their kids back because they are struggling academically, maturity-wise or socially and need a leg up. The field is a safe haven where they can build self
confidence, and overcome those other shortcomings. Even if it is against younger kids. Let them have the win. They need the boost.

Boy are you lost 😂

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The whole holdback situation could be rectified by having age based lacrosse. Then a kid could be in whatever grade they need to be for “academic or maturity” reasons and it would have no effect on their sports. I have no problem with parents holding kids back in school. But sports is not school. Play with kids your own age!!! Parents of holdbacks will never admit the advantages holding back provides

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let them have a win at the expense of our on age kids?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like other sports, it should be birth year in the younger age groups! Even if in different grades. After youth age, in HS, it can change as kids have had a chance to catch up in growth. They need to make it birth year in lacrosse, period!! Stop the unfair advantages at the youth level. 1 and 2 years can be a big difference in the youth ages in a lot of ways. Its a clear physical/ skill development advantage. Extra year(s) of growth and maturity and extra year(s) of skill development, totally has its advantages.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The whole holdback situation could be rectified by having age based lacrosse. Then a kid could be in whatever grade they need to be for “academic or maturity” reasons and it would have no effect on their sports. I have no problem with parents holding kids back in school. But sports is not school. Play with kids your own age!!! Parents of holdbacks will never admit the advantages holding back provides

^^^^^^^^ YES ‼️ 💯

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^ YES ‼️ 💯

Absolutely

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This continues to be a ridiculous conversation. The good players are playing on top teams and top schools where everyone has holdbacks and or pg's. The only ones who complain are the ones with delusions of their kids skill level. Once in HS none of it matters.....and if you are a holdback playing down before that youre simply not that good. Cost more than holdback has to do with lacrosse growth.So stop with the ridiculous statements. have Johnny hit the wall, man up and try to get better but dont worry if he doesnt win a t shirt and dont blame it on a holdback. Johnny simply isnt that good and youre not getting invited to the party so youre bitter. Signed- Proud holdback Dad

This post is ridiculous! Your son can’t make it in his own grade so drop him back to play against younger kids. Maybe you should of had your less talented kid man up and hit the wall more.

Proud on age- Dad[/quote]
Actually Mr Donkey he is a top player in his grade on a top club team. So much so that a Prep School recruited him. He is now getting a better education and experiences than our district could offer. He still plays on age for his club but did showcases for his grad year. Yes, he is going D1 but we dont care. He's getting a better education and network thanks to his lacrosse abilities. He never complained about playing against top talent regardless of their age. Of course thats because he is very talented. Again, youre not invited to the party so youre upset about losing a tee shirt.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, My child is a holdback along with a few others on his team and in his class (but not all). Before holding back he and and a few others I know simply werent ready for school, werent great students, or even athletically gifted. But holding back has been a real blessing for us as a family. He needed some success and a boost of self esteem. Please drop this and let him have it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2022 class is just graduating and heading off to college. Looking back the whole holdback thing works in middle school but when they get to high school it does not matter. Top player for 2022 class in middle school 7/8 grade was a beast. Forward to senior year did not start for his high school or even get much playing time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, My child is a holdback along with a few others on his team and in his class (but not all). Before holding back he and and a few others I know simply werent ready for school, werent great students, or even athletically gifted. But holding back has been a real blessing for us as a family. He needed some success and a boost of self esteem. Please drop this and let him have it.

Well, that’s great for your son and his friends! However, not every kid has the opportunity to holdback! Are you in a private school situation?

It’s very difficult for public school kids to hold back!!! Taxes won’t allow that for social/athletic “development”. It’s expensive for kids to repeat a grade by choice! Almost never can happen, unless academics is an issue and still rarely happens!

That’s another reason the holdback scenario is an unfair advantage and elitist advantage and move. It’s usually done by families who can financially afford this advantage. Most families can not offer their kids the extra year or two of self esteem boosting and time for more growth and success!

If they make it allowable for ALL kids, public and private to have an option of holding back, then I would say fine. It’s not an option . So for now, it continues to be an unfair advantage to the privileged. USA lacrosse should change the rules and make it fair for ALL kids!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

These responses are unreal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the whole back advantage ends in high school, why are we still talking about it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, that’s great for your son and his friends! However, not every kid has the opportunity to holdback! Are you in a private school situation?

It’s very difficult for public school kids to hold back!!! Taxes won’t allow that for social/athletic “development”. It’s expensive for kids to repeat a grade by choice! Almost never can happen, unless academics is an issue and still rarely happens!

That’s another reason the holdback scenario is an unfair advantage and elitist advantage and move. It’s usually done by families who can financially afford this advantage. Most families can not offer their kids the extra year or two of self esteem boosting and time for more growth and success!

If they make it allowable for ALL kids, public and private to have an option of holding back, then I would say fine. It’s not an option . So for now, it continues to be an unfair advantage to the privileged. USA lacrosse should change the rules and make it fair for ALL kids!!!

Unfair. Elitist. Privileged.

Yep, that's me. Not.

I didn't come from money. I was career military. We chose to drive used cars, live frugally, skip vacations, modest house, etc. and sent two kids to private school, one a holdback for pre-first, the other straight through on-age.

We all make choices. If you want to make it happen, you will figure out a way. If not, just keep complaining about how life is unfair while the rest of us deal with it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is not true. Two kids equal
If the whole back advantage ends in high school, why are we still talking about it?
talent and work ethic but one is a year older. Who wins?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The better player wins. Talent and work ethic are only two among many success factors. Example: what if the older kid is a foot shorter than the younger?

This whole holdback thing isn't about fairness, it is about giving your son the best shot at making it to where he wants to go.

Would the problem go away if lacrosse had age brackets like hockey does? Sure. Will it happen? Not likely.

Life isn't fair. Deal with it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The better player wins. Talent and work ethic are only two among many success factors. Example: what if the older kid is a foot shorter than the younger?

This whole holdback thing isn't about fairness, it is about giving your son the best shot at making it to where he wants to go.

Would the problem go away if lacrosse had age brackets like hockey does? Sure. Will it happen? Not likely.

Great study done in junior hockey in Canada. Just google relative age effect. Really good data

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your kid wasn’t good enough. Deal with that too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfair. Elitist. Privileged.

Yep, that's me. Not.

I didn't come from money. I was career military. We chose to drive used cars, live frugally, skip vacations, modest house, etc. and sent two kids to private school, one a holdback for pre-first, the other straight through on-age.

We all make choices. If you want to make it happen, you will figure out a way. If not, just keep complaining about how life is unfair while the rest of us deal with it.

Well , then you should also realize it’s unrealistic for most everyday people to afford private schools! Should they not be able to hold their kids back for that advantage you basically admitted was an advantage? It’s unrealistic for most to go to private! Especially with the taxes they already pay!

They shouldn’t have to! Shouldn’t have to “deal with it”!! USA lacrosse should “deal with it”! Make it fair already!!! Ridiculous argument!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

USA Lacrosse needs to “deal with it” already!!!! It’s ridiculous. What is the reason not to make it birth year? Money!!!! Elitist sport and parents! Period!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^^^^^^^ YES ‼️ 💯

Absolutely

University of Maryland has 9 kids that are 25 years old. 25 year olds playing against 18-21 years (Cornell) is/was a HUGE advantage. Differences in age are going to be a part of the equation. Some times it helps, sometimes it hurts. Thats life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
University of Maryland has 9 kids that are 25 years old. 25 year olds playing against 18-21 years (Cornell) is/was a HUGE advantage. Differences in age are going to be a part of the equation. Some times it helps, sometimes it hurts. Thats life.[/quote]

fake news

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
University of Maryland has 9 kids that are 25 years old. 25 year olds playing against 18-21 years (Cornell) is/was a HUGE advantage. Differences in age are going to be a part of the equation. Some times it helps, sometimes it hurts. Thats life.

fake news[/quote]

This will help the IVY’s over the next few years. Easy recruiting pitch over the Duke, ND, Gtown etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why do you think lacrosse is the only sport that does graduation year and not birth year for eligibility purposes?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Dude everyone on the field was done growing a long time ago.

Maryland's principal advantage in that game was their fantastic goalie - 17 saves versus 9 saves for the Cornell goalie - and Logan McNaney is a junior.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why do you think lacrosse is the only sport that does graduation year and not birth year for eligibility purposes?

I feel it is due to the fact the lacrosse is so heavily tied into schools and is a boutique sport with little earning potential on the back end. Most state sport oversight bodies for High School allow for re-class/late start up to certain dates. Virginia is Aug 1. Many prep schools have the PG option which pushes the senior age to 19 that way. Many college coaches red-shirt and love the older freshman, being physically more developed and more mature. Hockey has a whole industry of juniors, thank you Canada, based around that concept and most incoming frosh are 20!!.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Lehuster

Maryland's principal advantage in that game was their fantastic goalie - 17 saves versus 9 saves for the Cornell goalie - and Logan McNaney is a junior.

Dude, wake up. How about the experience gap. Usually in college it ranges from 1-3 years. Maryland's gap is 1-7 years. Transfer portal needs changes. Perhaps 2 players/year-must have completed 2-3 years eligibility already at current school. The details can be worked on, just throwing out some thoughts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs.
King Crab.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Lehuster

It’s not all about physical growth. They had years of more experience to grow the skill and understanding of the game.

Like Reply Quote
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard