Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 10:33 PM
Girls 2025-9th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 10:31 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 10:28 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 10:22 PM
Boys 2028 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/03/22 10:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,151
Posts341,598
Members2,463
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 127 of 148 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 147 148
Re: Girls 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
Anonymous #381639 05/26/22 06:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is going to come off as hating on M&D, obviously they continue to have tremendous success at all age levels. How much of their success is related to having "holdbacks"? Is this a legit thing or nonsense? I see the photos from these games and its obvious in some of them that M&D has kids just physically bigger. Size and age matters alot, especially pre HS levels. I mean in one photo from championships this weekend, the M&D draw girl is a going against a kid who barely comes up to her shoulders?

Anyone on M&D can clarify? Maybe these kids are just big for age.

Obviously you aren't familiar with most of the upper level teams in 27. And that draw girl might be the youngest on that team.

Wait until you see Eagle Stix

This isn't boys lacrosse. Hold backs aren't a thing in our area for girls lacrosse.

I guess I wasn’t clear, I am not referring to 2027 in general, tbh age gap pretty slim at this point for real advantage. I’m referring to all ages but younger where one age difference is huge.

I can’t speak specifically to the 27 team but most of the older groups have had or still have multiple holdbacks including the 23,24,25, and 26’s for m&d. Other teams like heros and skywalkers have them too but traditionally m&d has more as they are a feeder from/for McDonogh where they push the best talent to take pre 1st.

Oh and it’s ridiculous.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #381662 05/26/22 09:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is going to come off as hating on M&D, obviously they continue to have tremendous success at all age levels. How much of their success is related to having "holdbacks"? Is this a legit thing or nonsense? I see the photos from these games and its obvious in some of them that M&D has kids just physically bigger. Size and age matters alot, especially pre HS levels. I mean in one photo from championships this weekend, the M&D draw girl is a going against a kid who barely comes up to her shoulders?

Obviously you aren't familiar with most of the upper level teams in 27. And that draw girl might be the youngest on that team.

This isn't boys lacrosse. Hold backs aren't a thing in our area for girls lacrosse.

I guess I wasn’t clear, I am not referring to 2027 in general, tbh age gap pretty slim at this point for real advantage. I’m referring to all ages but younger where one age difference is huge.

I can’t speak specifically to the 27 team but most of the older groups have had or still have multiple holdbacks including the 23,24,25, and 26’s for m&d. Other teams like heros and skywalkers have them too but traditionally m&d has more as they are a feeder from/for McDonogh where they push the best talent to take pre 1st.

Oh and it’s ridiculous.

So, you're saying that they're identifying the "best talent" in kindergarten at McDonough and push them to take pre-first? That seems incorrect. More likely, it's common for McDonough kids to take pre-first (for a variety of reasons) and it's also common for McDonough kids to play at M&D.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381672 05/26/22 10:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh and it’s ridiculous.

So, you're saying that they're identifying the "best talent" in kindergarten at McDonough and push them to take pre-first? That seems incorrect. More likely, it's common for McDonough kids to take pre-first (for a variety of reasons) and it's also common for McDonough kids to play at M&D.

Whoever is evaluating the talent at Mcdonogh and holding them back should take their talent to pro sports. They could make a lot of money.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #381680 05/26/22 10:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
holdbacks are real....hence why some teams won't play in tournaments that are age restricted. Nationals....why don't M&D, Eagle Stix and Mad skills go....13 under.

and yes....eagle Stix girl can buy a round for parents after the tourney

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381685 05/26/22 11:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh and it’s ridiculous.

Yes, everyone with kids knows who the athletes are very early, not that others can’t develop but by pushing the initial athletes back a year it limits these other(younger) kids to develop. Great study done a few years ago regarding Canadian hockey and how months older made a difference. Ngll allows girls that could be almost 2 years older that some on the same team. It is the only sport In the country that allows this to happen. US lacrosse already changed their rules but Chris Robinson won’t change tournaments or Ngll because it benefits his organization, not the sport and certainly not the girls and for those who disagree, remember the simplest thing, these older girls have now taken a roster spot of someone who is the correct age.
It is simply working and needs to be fixed for safety and fairness.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #381694 05/27/22 06:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does the 2027 M&D team have any girls who are 14 already?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381699 05/27/22 07:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Simple question, wonder if it gets answered.

I watched a younger age championship Sunday where M&D had a draw girl easily a head above any other kid, they won all but one draw in that half.

How much does that contribute to their “championships”? How do they non holdback parents feel on that team seeing their kid get 2nd fiddle?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381700 05/27/22 07:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh and it’s ridiculous.

Whoever is evaluating the talent at Mcdonogh and holding them back should take their talent to pro sports. They could make a lot of money.

It’s not about the school evaluating lacrosse talent, it’s about giving parents the ability to give their kids up both academically and athletically by offering this work around of pre 1st. What parent doesn’t want to give their kid the best opportunity to succeed. The issue is that CR and NGLL allow and even promote it for m&d kids. So the kids who show an early like for athletics are given a distinct advantage over age appropriate kids. Again, great study on all this if you believe in science and research, just google relative age effect(RAE)

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381710 05/27/22 08:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I watched a younger age championship Sunday where M&D had a draw girl easily a head above any other kid, they won all but one draw in that half.

How much does that contribute to their “championships”? How do they non holdback parents feel on that team seeing their kid get 2nd fiddle?

Rule should be age as of Sept 1, imo

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381726 05/27/22 09:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No 14 yr Olds. Good try though..

why don't you accept teams are just good. Sorry yours isn't

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #381727 05/27/22 09:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s not about the school evaluating lacrosse talent, it’s about giving parents the ability to give their kids up both academically and athletically by offering this work around of pre 1st. What parent doesn’t want to give their kid the best opportunity to succeed. The issue is that CR and NGLL allow and even promote it for m&d kids. So the kids who show an early like for athletics are given a distinct advantage over age appropriate kids. Again, great study on all this if you believe in science and research, just google relative age effect(RAE)

What are you talking about CR and M&D promote this for their kids? No child plays for M&D in kindergarten so if kids take pre-first it's completely parent driven at that age. The McDonough/M&D overlap isn't nearly what it used to be in the past anyway. The issue of "holdbacks" is everywhere in lacrosse, it isn't driven by the NGLL and CR. Take a look at a the boys threads, it's all they ever talk about. Ultimately, some kids just grow faster than others, you have no idea what age most of these kids are, so stop with the conspiracy theories.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381736 05/27/22 10:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What are you talking about CR and M&D promote this for their kids? No child plays for M&D in kindergarten so if kids take pre-first it's completely parent driven at that age. The McDonough/M&D overlap isn't nearly what it used to be in the past anyway. The issue of "holdbacks" is everywhere in lacrosse, it isn't driven by the NGLL and CR. Take a look at a the boys threads, it's all they ever talk about. Ultimately, some kids just grow faster than others, you have no idea what age most of these kids are, so stop with the conspiracy theories.

That's correct, we don't have any idea what age any of the kids are.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381737 05/27/22 10:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a rising 8th Grade thread..... IF you are worried about holdbacks at this point then start planning for Sally to play on the Freshman team (not even JV) a year and a half from now. In HS the girls will be 4-2 years older on Varsity. So if she and you are afraid but are looking a MCD or St Pauls or any real lax school, you may want to re think it as she wont be mentally strong enough to play.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381738 05/27/22 10:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

None she’s not a holdback. Stop trying to make up excuses cause your kid ain’t good enough.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381739 05/27/22 10:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh and it’s ridiculous.

Yes, everyone with kids knows who the athletes are very early, not that others can’t develop but by pushing the initial athletes back a year it limits these other(younger) kids to develop. Great study done a few years ago regarding Canadian hockey and how months older made a difference. Ngll allows girls that could be almost 2 years older that some on the same team. It is the only sport In the country that allows this to happen. US lacrosse already changed their rules but Chris Robinson won’t change tournaments or Ngll because it benefits his organization, not the sport and certainly not the girls and for those who disagree, remember the simplest thing, these older girls have now taken a roster spot of someone who is the correct age.
It is simply working and needs to be fixed for safety and fairness.

What about the 6th year and Covid holdbacks in college. Complain about this too.

Like Reply Quote
Page 127 of 148 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 147 148
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard