BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 111 of 327 1 2 109 110 111 112 113 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
My two cents is that the biggest differences come from which team you are on within the club, and I don't mean the A vs. the B vs. the rest, but which coach you have, the other girls and their dynamic, and the parents as well. If you get a coach whose style doesn't work for your player or your family values then it's not a good fit. If you get girls who are cliqueish then your player will not be happy. As for the parents, you will be spending a lot of weekends with these people so you better be able to picture that without cringing.

When we were looking, I asked around, talked to as many other girls lax parents as I could to find out what they'd heard and seen.

The downside is all the different tryout dates and of course the fees. That's why I recommend asking around to narrow down your options.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Interested in getting my 5th grader this year into a travel program and debating about which one to put her in. I have gone through these msg boards extensively and have seen very little in on terms of productive comments about girls programs other than from Powderfinger and maybe one or two anonymous posts.

My daughter currently plays for 3V which has a good program but was hoping to get her more development at a higher level of play at this stage. It would appear that TG or YJ is the way to go but I am not totally convinced of either at this point.

Thank you.

If you have been following these boards then you must be aware that girls are leaving TGs in massive numbers and the club is going to fold in the very near future. But YJ is on the selling block and about to fold also, choose carefully.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Powder is correct in that you should look at the age group your child is in and who the coaches are in that age group at each particular club.There are some differences between TG and YJ that may interest you. YJ offers more training , tournaments,in the off-season than just about any other club( non of it is free)but it is offered to any player regardless of level team they are on.Will be harder for your child to make top YJ team (just an opinion )if that is what you are hoping for, your child will most likely make a team on YJ as they do try to accomadate all skill levels,hope that helps

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interested in getting my 5th grader this year into a travel program and debating about which one to put her in. I have gone through these msg boards extensively and have seen very little in on terms of productive comments about girls programs other than from Powderfinger and maybe one or two anonymous posts.

My daughter currently plays for 3V which has a good program but was hoping to get her more development at a higher level of play at this stage. It would appear that TG or YJ is the way to go but I am not totally convinced of either at this point.

Thank you.

My daughter played YJ this past year,2021, second team. Coaches were awful. Waste of time and money. Top team a different story. Just my experience

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

If you have been following these boards then you must be aware that girls are leaving TGs in massive numbers and the club is going to fold in the very near future. But YJ is on the selling block and about to fold also, choose carefully.

There are other clubs out there who are really doing a great job besides these two.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Chicken little how can u say the sky is falling When no club has held tryouts. I guess I am reading different posts on these Boards

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are you talking about? Seriously

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Rumour has it that 91 is very close to buying YJ - $2million asking price is the only sticking point...

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Rumour has it that 91 is very close to buying YJ - $2million asking price is the only sticking point...

Well that'd be one way to improve the girls side of the 91 program. LOL Really, you've heard this?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

Well that'd be one way to improve the girls side of the 91 program. LOL Really, you've heard this?
While BOTC cannot confirm the truth behind this rumor (love the British spelling), we can share the following.

BOTC was specifically told that another club (not named here) was working on a takeover bid for the Yellow Jackets program within the 2012/2013 season. The price tag discussed was a seven figure total.

The agreement eventually fell through due to the purchaser's requirement for exclusivity in the Long Island market (a typical demand in such transactions).

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The cash cow clubs of the world unite. Without CR you would then see a mass migration from YJ to TG. This rumor mill stuff is fun. My hairdresser told me that fl$ was going to buy TG.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

While BOTC cannot confirm the truth behind this rumor (love the British spelling), we can share the following.

BOTC was specifically told that another club (not named here) was working on a takeover bid for the Yellow Jackets program within the 2012/2013 season. The price tag discussed was a seven figure total.

The agreement eventually fell through due to the purchaser's requirement for exclusivity in the Long Island market (a typical demand in such transactions).

Shannon Smith is buying Yellow Jackets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BOTC was specifically told that another club (not named here)

was working on a takeover bid for the Yellow Jackets program within the 2012/2013 season. The price tag discussed was a seven figure total.

What does exclusivity mean? that cr can not open or coach somewhere else on LI?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So funny just goes to show that BOTC has no clue ! YJ is not being sold at this time and no deal had been made that fell through. Spallina would be in the same boat as Smith

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not crazy money when you consider 30 teams with 28 kids each is 840 players.

Each family with the summer, clinics, camps, winter and recruiting has to be in at around a $2,000 average cost. That is almost $1.7 million dollars gross a year.

Not sure what the profit is but real business pays between 4 and 10 times a companies 1 year net profit. So if $1.7m gross generates $250,000 in profit than a 8x multiplier means the selling price would be $2,000,000. As crazy as it sounds, the math might actually work!

All guesses of course but this would definitly be million dollar sale. God Bless America!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So funny just goes to show that BOTC has no clue ! YJ is not being sold at this time and no deal had been made that fell through. Spallina would be in the same boat as Smith

I highly doubt that BOTC would post that they had information that was not already confirmed. Nothing in the past has shown that they publish any uncomfirmed information, so why start now?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I highly doubt that BOTC would post that they had information that was not already confirmed.
Correct.

Nothing in the past has shown that they publish any uncomfirmed information, so why start now?
Exactly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard that the FAF/MSC group are buying YJ and TG.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They already own YJ

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FAF? did I miss the definition?

They already own YJ

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How could that be a sticking point? The first thing on the table is the length and radius of the "no compete" clause in the sale of an entity such as YJ. Also, I'm sure that the buyer wopuld want CR to stay for a season or two as well. To think that she could sell Yj and start another club in two years is insane

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spallina/Stony Brook have been doing camps, clinincs and fundraisers with yj for at least a couple of years, he was recently the keynote speaker at yj event, seems like a natural fit

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spallina/Stony Brook have been doing camps, clinincs and fundraisers with yj for at least a couple of years, he was recently the keynote speaker at yj event, seems like a natural fit
that a little differint then owning buying a multi million dollar operation. What does Spalina make a couple hundred?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again thank you all very much for your posts on this topic. This is what i was looking for in terms of info. Varied opinions on both clubs and their merits.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard today. Smith and rose are going to partner up and buy liberty 91 express and every club in long island.. maybew some maryland clubs too. Also going to start a boys club team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard today. Smith and rose are going to partner up and buy liberty 91 express and every club in long island.. maybew some maryland clubs too. Also going to start a boys club team.

You forgot about the Mets, Jets, and Islanders

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ and TG are both more profitable than the Islanders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ and TG are both more profitable than the Islanders.

That was good... and probably true

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

I have many friends that have thier daughters playing for TG, YJ, and Beach Bums. All three clubs offer different things to all. Beach Bums offers the travel experience with mostly local tournaments . YJ has a place for every athlete from A to E level , if your daughter improved she will move up the ladder within the YJ organization . TG fields two teams in all age groups except one . TG is a very competetive program with a family run feel to it. I have my girls in TG and am very happy. My friends have them in YJ and BB and they are happy too. You need to pick a club that works for your family . Things to think about are travel distance for practices, distance of tournaments that they play in and $$$.
Good luck!

Now you will hear all of the bashing !!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

I have many friends that have thier daughters playing for TG, YJ, and Beach Bums. All three clubs offer different things to all. Beach Bums offers the travel experience with mostly local tournaments . YJ has a place for every athlete from A to E level , if your daughter improved she will move up the ladder within the YJ organization . TG fields two teams in all age groups except one . TG is a very competetive program with a family run feel to it. I have my girls in TG and am very happy. My friends have them in YJ and BB and they are happy too. You need to pick a club that works for your family . Things to think about are travel distance for practices, distance of tournaments that they play in and $$$.
Good luck!

Bums have a girl going to Northwestern a few hofstras USC and Penn State. Not bad for a mostly low cost local outfit. Many ways to skin a cat! Good for them

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Good luck!

Bums have a girl going to Northwestern a few hofstras USC and Penn State. Not bad for a mostly low cost local outfit. Many ways to skin a cat! Good for them

The Bums have quality players ! My only question is why does one of the directors daughters also play for YJ ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Good luck!

The Bums have quality players ! My only question is why does one of the directors daughters also play for YJ ?

If she is going to play yj top team then go for it. Very good team and coach but some screaming crazy parents. Second team just has awful coaching. H

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Good luck!

If she is going to play yj top team then go for it. Very good team and coach but some screaming crazy parents. Second team just has awful coaching.

In reference to the Bums - the girl they have listed as going to Northwestern is currently a TG player and has been for several years! They also have two girls listed as going for field hockey & volleyball!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Good luck!

Call it bashing if you will but what do you mean by very competitive, TG pretty much has a place for everyone also just that they do not have the sheer numbers at tryouts that YJ does therefore have less teams. If more players show up at tryouts more teams will be made guaranteed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Good luck!

Call it bashing if you will but what do you mean by very competitive, TG pretty much has a place for everyone also just that they do not have the sheer numbers at tryouts that YJ does therefore have less teams. If more players show up at tryouts more teams will be made guaranteed.

3v parent here. Girls from this area on both TG, YJ, Express and SC All Stars. Here is what I can tell you;

TG- family run organization, coaches are good, probably same as any other organization. Practice 1x/week in West Babylon. SS at every practice. Competitive teams, just won U15 national championships. No fall ball, but does winter leagues in Mt. Sinai. Directors believe there should be balance with girls and should be able to participate in multiple sports. This summer did 5 tournaments for younger age groups, 4 out of state

YJ- practice 2-3x/week depending on coach you get. Practices are usually at PAL complex off Nichols Rd. Also have opportunity for fall ball, just pay extra. Seems like practice much more than TG. Not sure if good or bad because of burnout effect. Down side of thing is difficult to get on top team right away unless daughter is stud. Tryouts are done as a team with little swapping of players. Other downside is play a lot of other YJ teams at tournaments because organization in involved in tournament and there are so many teams.

Express- not worth money at this time. Going through a restructuring phase right now. Tough thing about going to organization that has strong boys side is usually girls take the back seat to it.

SC All Stars- depending on age group, definitely worth the money. Their 2016 team is a great team, and 2017 is good as well. Can't speak for others.

Beach Bums- really don't know anything about them.

I would consider SC All Stars, TG and YJ. You just have to decide how big of an organization it is and do you want a personal experience or be just a number. Good luck with your decision....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We will see very soon if that is true. TG has one age group with 3 teams. I dont think TG has the desire to add more teams to all of the levels. I May be wrong but by the first week of September we will all know. For the parent looking for a club for thier daughter you can also look into : Title 9, Elevate,fl$,Liberty,Premier,Suffolk County All Stars,Express,91,Wave.... and there is probably more that you could find . maybe Cage could list the teams by gender to help out the newbies

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.

Good luck!

3v parent here. Girls from this area on both TG, YJ, Express and SC All Stars. Here is what I can tell you;

TG- family run organization, coaches are good, probably same as any other organization. Practice 1x/week in West Babylon. SS at every practice. Competitive teams, just won U15 national championships. No fall ball, but does winter leagues in Mt. Sinai. Directors believe there should be balance with girls and should be able to participate in multiple sports. This summer did 5 tournaments for younger age groups, 4 out of state

YJ- practice 2-3x/week depending on coach you get. Practices are usually at PAL complex off Nichols Rd. Also have opportunity for fall ball, just pay extra. Seems like practice much more than TG. Not sure if good or bad because of burnout effect. Down side of thing is difficult to get on top team right away unless daughter is stud. Tryouts are done as a team with little swapping of players. Other downside is play a lot of other YJ teams at tournaments because organization in involved in tournament and there are so many teams.

Express- not worth money at this time. Going through a restructuring phase right now. Tough thing about going to organization that has strong boys side is usually girls take the back seat to it.

SC All Stars- depending on age group, definitely worth the money. Their 2016 team is a great team, and 2017 is good as well. Can't speak for others.

Beach Bums- really don't know anything about them.

I would consider SC All Stars, TG and YJ. You just have to decide how big of an organization it is and do you want a personal experience or be just a number. Good luck with your decision....

At 5th grade, the coach is key. Don't put your 11 year old in front of a jerk regardless of how good the team is. You can always move to a better team, most rosters are somewhat fluid until 8th, maybe 9th grade then they seem to become more static.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some things are better left unsaid. I Don't look at this as a stage for you to feel entitled to try to tell people you are right! Maybe you need therapy and we all need to be adults and figure things out for ourselves. And by the way, I'm no tinker bell! You know what they say about people who "ASSume". Enjoy your life of righteousness, it must be filled with lots of loving relationships.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some things are better left unsaid. I Don't look at this as a stage for you to feel entitled to try to tell people you are right! Maybe you need therapy and we all need to be adults and figure things out for ourselves. And by the way, I'm no tinker bell! You know what they say about people who "ASSume". Enjoy your life of righteousness, it must be filled with lots of loving relationships.

Anyone else have no idea what this post is about or in response to.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very comprehensive breakdown. Appreciate all the info on this topic.

3V parent

Like Reply Quote
Page 111 of 327 1 2 109 110 111 112 113 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard