BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 235 of 264 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The issue is more about kids in the same grade that are 1 to 2 years older than the other kids for whatever reason. Then comes the Varsity issue where you have multiple grades competing for the same spots. It just results in some perpetual unfairness to some kids.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who won the GC Manhasset game Sat night ?

Great game! Sorry you missed it, OT thriller!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The issue is more about kids in the same grade that are 1 to 2 years older than the other kids for whatever reason. Then comes the Varsity issue where you have multiple grades competing for the same spots. It just results in some perpetual unfairness to some kids.
There is no issue, you're just making excuses and giving your kids the wring message that somehow it's unfair. Some freshman are good enough to play varsity, would you complain about that too?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is no issue, you're just making excuses and giving your kids the wring message that somehow it's unfair. Some freshman are good enough to play varsity, would you complain about that too?

Maybe you are giving your the kid the wrong message!?. Maybe the people in charge of the sport are giving the kids the wrong message!? Making it ok to game the system by holding back 1 and 2 years and now in some cases 3! Where does it stop!? Why don’t they stop the holdback nonsense and have the kids play on age during the youth years and developing years !!! That Would be the right message. Not gaming the system starting in Kindergarten! Ridiculous. Holding back specifically to get an edge in the sport should not be allowed. Not fair to Public school kids or people without the financial means for private schools to allow this obvious “elitist” advantage!!! And, the sport wants to try and be more inclusive??? Miserably failing at that and going the other direction. Pathetic! Who’s sending the wrong message to our kids? Buying advantages for your kids? Giving them extra time fur development? Hmmmmm

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your question just lacks basic logic. If the premise is that playing against kids who are younger than you is an advantage, then why are you asking if playing against older kids is a problem. Obviously there would be no complaint because the premise suggests the freshman is overcoming a disadvantage.

Bottom line is that if there was no advantage to holding kids back, the practice wouldn't be so prevalent. Sorry your son couldn't hack it against the kids his own age.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GC in OT

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
An 18 year old freshman vs a 24 year old senior is NOT the same as a 19 year old HS senior who is 3 months from his 20th birthday playing against 14 & 15 year old true freshman and sophomores.

I 100% agree with this statement but who cares, you guys are arguing a point that will never change. Just try and enjoy the ride with your son.
Excuses, excuses, sport like life, is never going to be fair. The negativity and excuses filter down to the kids. Teach them to deal and move on.

A few questions
1- how bad is your program that you have so many 14 year olds on varsity
2- how bad are those 14 year olds that they are concerned about playing older kids (the good players we know want to play against the best and play with out fear.)
3- what league are you in that your bad program with so many weak Freshman and sophomores on varsity plays programs with 20 year old Seniors? Maybe get off this message board and go talk to your school board and coaches about playing a softer schedule.
4- Do you keep score at and count scrimmages as wins?
5- Are you really projecting how soft you and your son are on a message board. Problems not a problem for anyone other than the parents who want their kid to be better than they actually are.
6- The only real argument is the St Anthony one where they believe they would have beat St Johns if there were no holdbacks (doesnt make much sense though as Sophmores and Juniors were a large part of that Meanywhipping.)

bet that took you 30 minutes to type.. and its nice to see you figure out the you're/your conundrum.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
An 18 year old freshman vs a 24 year old senior is NOT the same as a 19 year old HS senior who is 3 months from his 20th birthday playing against 14 & 15 year old true freshman and sophomores.

I 100% agree with this statement but who cares, you guys are arguing a point that will never change. Just try and enjoy the ride with your son.
Excuses, excuses, sport like life, is never going to be fair. The negativity and excuses filter down to the kids. Teach them to deal and move on.

A few questions
1- how bad is your program that you have so many 14 year olds on varsity
2- how bad are those 14 year olds that they are concerned about playing older kids (the good players we know want to play against the best and play with out fear.)
3- what league are you in that your bad program with so many weak Freshman and sophomores on varsity plays programs with 20 year old Seniors? Maybe get off this message board and go talk to your school board and coaches about playing a softer schedule.
4- Do you keep score at and count scrimmages as wins?
5- Are you really projecting how soft you and your son are on a message board. Problems not a problem for anyone other than the parents who want their kid to be better than they actually are.
6- The only real argument is the St Anthony one where they believe they would have beat St Johns if there were no holdbacks (doesnt make much sense though as Sophmores and Juniors were a large part of that Meanywhipping.)

bet that took you 30 minutes to type.. and its nice to see you figure out the you're/your conundrum.
Thanks! I went to prep school and lead the organization so dont pay attention on conference calls.....also holding my son back so he can go to Prep School and play against top talent. Basically lacrosse is getting him a better education than not having lacrosse would. He will play club on age but to be clear, he has never ever complained about going against holdbacks. He sees at as a challenge. The move to Prep School and holding him back moves him from a mid day 1 prospect to a top tier......but doesnt matter as Im happy if he stops playing lacrosse and leverages the amazing education he is getting. We dont complain in our house. We work and find our niche......thank you for not calling out my lack of apostrophes.
By the way, do you keep scores at scrimmages and consider it a win if your team has more goals?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like the best team in Nassau is from Class D.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset loses to CSH. Can they right the ship vs. Chaminade or will it be three straight L's?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset loses to CSH. Can they right the ship vs. Chaminade or will it be three straight L's?

3 straight losses. no knock on them but I think Chaminade will win the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Manhasset will win. Expect a good game either way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like the best team in Nassau is from Class D.

there is no class D in Nassau, there is a C/D. Is that what you meant?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gutsy win by Mt Sinai over a really talented Smithtown west team. MS without its second most important player due to flu. Boys really stepped up. Proud of them. SWR next week

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Agreed, tough schedule for Manhasset. Don't think they played to their standards against CSH after a war against garden city, they could have been banged up (no excuses) chami looked good against St Ants though, gonna be a great game, i think st ants will win, high powered offense vs mediocre defense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
all teams are banged up at this point in the season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset looking at four straight losses-Darien, GC, CSH, Cham. Have they EVER had a four game losing streak?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you’re looking to get into a great school with maybe a little bit of lacrosse help, like Wesleyan, Williams, Washington & Lee, Union, Middlebury, Swarthmore, Babson, etc. lacrosse is a great way to go… it’s about the next 40, not the next 4.

To each his own, a lot of great schools, personally would much rather see my kids at at Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Hopkins, Duke, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Virginia, Michigan, UNC, Penn State, Maryland etc... and if they are that level of athlete I would have them consider playing club at a great school. Maybe Florida, Arizona State, Boston College, Clemson, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, USC, Stanford etc....

Some very WOKE colleges in this second list. That's with admitting/assuming almost all colleges are left of center. The issue with UPenn swimming is enough to scratch that off the list.

But as you said, to each his own.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you’re looking to get into a great school with maybe a little bit of lacrosse help, like Wesleyan, Williams, Washington & Lee, Union, Middlebury, Swarthmore, Babson, etc. lacrosse is a great way to go… it’s about the next 40, not the next 4.

To each his own, a lot of great schools, personally would much rather see my kids at at Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Hopkins, Duke, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Virginia, Michigan, UNC, Penn State, Maryland etc... and if they are that level of athlete I would have them consider playing club at a great school. Maybe Florida, Arizona State, Boston College, Clemson, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, USC, Stanford etc....

Some very WOKE colleges in this second list. That's with admitting/assuming almost all colleges are left of center. The issue with UPenn swimming is enough to scratch that off the list.

BTW I’m so glad that the UPenn swimmer is a UPenn swimmer! Nothing says bad publicity/mad parents/ extreme wokeism like the Ivy League. I’m glad they got their karma.

Last edited by JMLax1; . Reason: Omitted words as it goes against our community forum standards
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BTW I’m so glad that the UPenn swimmer is a UPenn swimmer! Nothing says bad publicity/mad parents/ extreme wokeism like the Ivy League. I’m glad they got their karma.

I’m pretty far left and a man swimming with the women is just too far. I wonder how the boys would do on the draw with a D1 woman?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset looking at four straight losses-Darien, GC, CSH, Cham. Have they EVER had a four game losing streak?
I believe there was a win or two between the Darien and GC games. Somewhat of a disappointing season so far for Set, but they've been close in every loss, and all will be forgiven if they can beat Mt. Sinai (an uphill battle for sure, but certainly a possibility). They've had years where they won a bunch of big games but choked in the playoffs.

Darien just beat St. Anthony's 19-18 in one of the wildest high school games you'll ever see. St. Anthony's was up 18-14 with just over two minutes left and the game seemingly in hand. Darien then went nuclear, and buried the winner with one second left.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Checking on St Anthony's parents. Darien is public HS so don't believe they have holdbacks so what's todays excuse for yesterdays loss?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe there was a win or two between the Darien and GC games. Somewhat of a disappointing season so far for Set, but they've been close in every loss, and all will be forgiven if they can beat Mt. Sinai (an uphill battle for sure, but certainly a possibility). They've had years where they won a bunch of big games but choked in the playoffs.

Darien just beat St. Anthony's 19-18 in one of the wildest high school games you'll ever see. St. Anthony's was up 18-14 with just over two minutes left and the game seemingly in hand. Darien then went nuclear, and buried the winner with one second left.

19 -18. Wow defensive coaching at its finest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Checking on St Anthony's parents. Darien is public HS so don't believe they have holdbacks so what's todays excuse for yesterdays loss?

No dog in this fight but Darien is a deep, deep pocket district. Parents could hold their kids back anytime they want because money is not an issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OH, " pretty far left" you must be the proctor of this site!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No dog in this fight but Darien is a deep, deep pocket district. Parents could hold their kids back anytime they want because money is not an issue.

Both teams have hold backs, its coaching St A's needs help..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Posted in another forum:

Which is more fun for your kid (or you), Club or High School lacrosse?

Most favored high school citing factors such as:

-Games meaning more to them especially wins and losses. They didn't care as much about W-L's in club
-More team camaraderie with high school. These are kids they (obviously) go to school with and know better. Club sometimes feels like hired mercenaries
-If you are the better player, then you play more whereas with Club, since everyone is (presumably) paying the same, playing time is split more evenly
-Spring lacrosse after a barren Winter season feels more refreshing where summer club can be a slog sometimes
-High school coaches care more than club coaches about the kids?
-Cheaper than club (unless you pay for private school)
-Less traveling
-Playing against a team of holdbacks may be less prevalent in high school (except Prep schools)
-More emotional investment in the town you live in or (the school you are paying for for Prep). True rivalries seem to mean more in high school and thus,there is more emotional investment

Those who favored Club cited factors such as:

-the level of competition is better and teammates are usually better, at least at the higher levels of Club lacrosse
-traveling around the country with your kid is a (sometimes) rewarding experience
-some like the national exposure of some of the high level Club lacrosse
-even playing time as some players may get buried on a high school bench

Recruiting-wise, it was a wash but I feel that High School recruiting is better than Club recruiting. I have heard stories of Club making a million promises but never delivering when it comes to recruiting, unless you are the superstar of the club. I have been told (but could be mistaken) is that colleges value the high school coach opinion much more than the club coach.

There seems to be a temporal nature to it. Youth club was much more rewarding than youth town lacrosse but as the kids get older, high school becomes more important to kids. I would even venture to say that club has much less meaning to 22's, 23's and maybe 24's.

It also seemed that this logic does not apply to the outliers such as the top national high school teams in the country or the bottom lower clubs. In addition, most of this logic may not apply to the superstars (top 0.5% of players in the country).

Just curious to everyone's thoughts. There truly are no right answers as it is only an opinion that can be formed wholly dependent on your own experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Connecticut has a 1/1 cutoff date for schools and don't pretend that they don't hold back in Darien and New Canaan and other "wealthy" towns up there.

When our 2022 was a freshman, his team played the Darien freshman team. One of the Darien moms was complaining that her son, Winston the Third, had to run laps after practice because he was five minutes late one day when he had to park in the back lot - there were only 100 spots in the front parking lot and it was all full when he got there. I asked her how that could be and she said "we have three teams, so not all of the freshmen can park in the front lot." Then she said "oh, wait, we can drive at 16 up here, not like you New Yorkers, where you have to wait until 17." I told her that most of my son's team was 15 years old and she said "Oh, we have one or two TRUE freshmen on this team who can't drive yet."

And losses happen. This one had nothing to do with holdbacks. One thing that's obvious this year is that it's all about offense with most of these teams. Coaches seem to expect to simply put up 12-15 (or more) and outscore their opponents and rarely make any adjustment on defense or care about how poorly they are doing on that end of the field.

I sure would like to see a best of LI tournament in June where all the semifinal teams from the four Suffolk conferences and four Nassau conferences and the two Catholic AAA teams play each other to see who really is the best. If St. Anthony's really is 3-5 goals better than everyone else, so be it. Just make sure you get decent officials (who can actually run the length of the field and know the rules) to call all of the games - maybe they should come from college or the PLL.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Connecticut has a 1/1 cutoff date for schools and don't pretend that they don't hold back in Darien and New Canaan and other "wealthy" towns up there.

When our 2022 was a freshman, his team played the Darien freshman team. One of the Darien moms was complaining that her son, Winston the Third, had to run laps after practice because he was five minutes late one day when he had to park in the back lot - there were only 100 spots in the front parking lot and it was all full when he got there. I asked her how that could be and she said "we have three teams, so not all of the freshmen can park in the front lot." Then she said "oh, wait, we can drive at 16 up here, not like you New Yorkers, where you have to wait until 17." I told her that most of my son's team was 15 years old and she said "Oh, we have one or two TRUE freshmen on this team who can't drive yet."

And losses happen. This one had nothing to do with holdbacks. One thing that's obvious this year is that it's all about offense with most of these teams. Coaches seem to expect to simply put up 12-15 (or more) and outscore their opponents and rarely make any adjustment on defense or care about how poorly they are doing on that end of the field.

I sure would like to see a best of LI tournament in June where all the semifinal teams from the four Suffolk conferences and four Nassau conferences and the two Catholic AAA teams play each other to see who really is the best. If St. Anthony's really is 3-5 goals better than everyone else, so be it. Just make sure you get decent officials (who can actually run the length of the field and know the rules) to call all of the games - maybe they should come from college or the PLL.

I'll "Things that never happened" for a $1,000 Alex.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This would be pretty cool

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

19 -18. Wow defensive coaching at its finest.
I just watched the last 3 minutes of that game. St. A's was completely lost defensively on all of it. The 15th goal there was a slide to double WAY out high and no recovery/rotation.

St. A's had a chance to close it out and they lost the ball to a double team with Darien pulling the goalie. That was way too easily dislodged and they had a decent angle to shoot on an open net. I don't like how St. A's played that possession.

They could have sent a pole to play behind while Darien was killing clock.

None of this takes away from a heck of a comeback from Darien. They earned it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did St. Anthony's just lose to Yorktown as well? St. A's may have been the best team on LI on paper entering the season but not at the end of it. Yorktown is a class B public, correct. They lost to CSH amongst others, correct? Was there a covid outbreak at St. A's or have they just backpeddled?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St A’s has a five star LSM on JV who is so good he would have made the difference in both of those losses. Those losses are on the coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did St. Anthony's just lose to Yorktown as well? St. A's may have been the best team on LI on paper entering the season but not at the end of it. Yorktown is a class B public, correct. They lost to CSH amongst others, correct? Was there a covid outbreak at St. A's or have they just backpeddled?
Yorktown did NOT play St. Anthony's.

THey Played Darien, CSH, Chaminade all in a row.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If false, my apologies to the Friar Nation.

In the print version of Newsday today (Tuesday) they showed Yorktown beating St. A's 19-18.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St A’s has a five star LSM on JV who is so good he would have made the difference in both of those losses. Those losses are on the coaches.

Thanks Dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
holdbacks all over St A’s, so let’s
put that to rest
You all went to St A’s for the lax NOT the education nor the Catholic teachings (as there are Jewish boys on the team)
2 Losses so not best team in country
wasted tuition

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? That’s funny.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok dad. Relax. He will get his turn one day. Also, try and remember that lacrosse is a team sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'll bet none of the coaches want to deal with the kid because of his parents. You're the problem not the coaches.

Like Reply Quote
Page 235 of 264 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard