BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
When did your kid start learning/playing lax?
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I know very little, if anything, about lax, other than sticks with nets at the end are used .... and there was a dustup with the Duke men's players a while back. :-)

I'm curious when everyone's kid started playing or training lax .... and where they did it. Our daughter is 7 and has her own lax sticks (?) as she got some lessons from a college lax coach where my husband works. I have no idea if she is too young to learn how to play (even at the rec level, if such a level exists), and I can't seem to find anything on our "island" (SI) or in NJ (which is closer to us than LI).

I'd like to diversify our daughter's athletic experience (soccer and swimming to date) and think lax would be a cool thing for her to learn.

Any thoughts/ideas/guidance for an ignorant parent?

Thanks!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: When did your kid start learning/playing lax?
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by NYYellowCard
I know very little, if anything, about lax, other than sticks with nets at the end are used .... and there was a dustup with the Duke men's players a while back. :-)

I'm curious when everyone's kid started playing or training lax .... and where they did it. Our daughter is 7 and has her own lax sticks (?) as she got some lessons from a college lax coach where my husband works. I have no idea if she is too young to learn how to play (even at the rec level, if such a level exists), and I can't seem to find anything on our "island" (SI) or in NJ (which is closer to us than LI).

I'd like to diversify our daughter's athletic experience (soccer and swimming to date) and think lax would be a cool thing for her to learn.

Any thoughts/ideas/guidance for an ignorant parent?

Thanks!

There are plenty of club teams at this age. You need to just look around...ask parents of older kids playing Lax or google "lacrosse with your town/area "

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You don't need to go to a club team at this age. I am sure that your town or town near you has a PAL lacrosse progam. The age of 7 or 8 is the perfect age to start playing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You don't need to go to a club team at this age. I am sure that your town or town near you has a PAL lacrosse progam. The age of 7 or 8 is the perfect age to start playing
What kind of league play is available for PAL players? When do schedules for the Nassau PAL get posted?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What kind of league play is available for PAL players? When do schedules for the Nassau PAL get posted?

PAL is basically a travel league. Your town PAL team will play others. PAL also has division going from expierenced players to beginners this way the games stay competitive. PAL runs from about the end of march and the beginning of april till June

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a 13 year old in 7th grade. We just moved up here from Florida and my daughter wants to play. What would be a good league or camp for her? She has'nt played before but is very interested any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We live in Rocky Point on Long Island.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a 13 year old in 7th grade. We just moved up here from Florida and my daughter wants to play. What would be a good league or camp for her? She has'nt played before but is very interested any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We live in Rocky Point on Long Island.
In addition to picking up a lacrosse stick and just starting to toss the ball around with mom, dad, or friends, take a look here on the message board at some of the local lacrosse leagues : LISGYLL or the Suffolk County Girls Lacrosse League.

Suffolk County Girls LAX - Grade 7

Long Island Senior Girls Youth Lacrosse League - Grade 7

You can see some of the town teams on those schedules which might help you narrow your search from Rocky Point.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i fully agree with the others posting that you should start out at the PAL level as well as clinics and camps. There is no place for tournament players this young. The tourney teams do not focus on individual skills and practice and more so on the team approach and that will not do anything for a child that age.
My son didn't start playing lacrosse til he was 10, but was a natural athlete and it just clicked and he is playing tourney ball now. But i came to realize rather quickly, with all the money i am paying that they are only interested in winning and not about the progression of my son or the others. The more we win, the more kids join, the more money in there pockets so they focus on the team approach running plays and all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my 8yo has already done several clinics and has a private coach. She will have a verbal agreement by the time she is a freshman. smile

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard