Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Joey Spallina from Mt Sinai High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #1 ranked senior on Long Island and from Mt Sinai High School, Joey Spallina for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Joey Spallina, been the top high school Lacrosse player in the U.S., and the son of Stony Brook women’s head coach Joe Spallina. He has proven himself playing as an Attackman in Mt Sinai and now has chosen to serve Syracuse. Let's see what he has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Joey Spallina

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Harold?  
Joey Spallina: It’s not really a saying more of a speech from coach but it was last year during the lic he was telling us how we worked hard and played hard to get to this point and this game and how we dealt with the pandemic and that we were ready for this game.

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
JS: We’ve had a couple intramural practices and to be around each other has been awesome and everyone is getting super excited and can’t wait to get out there and play.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
JS: Definitely gonna enjoy this season a lot we have a good team and a bunch of hard working guys so it should be a great season and like I said earlier being able to compete and get the chance to win championships with my best friends and my brothers that are on the team Is awesome.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Syracuse University and what other colleges were you considering?
JS: Syracuse is a awesome place what separated it from all the other colleges was the tradition and history of the team. Syracuse has a long history of winning national championships and being able to be a part of that and get the opportunity to wear number 22 which was worn by all of the players I look up to is a dream come true.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
JS: I’m not very superstitious it’s just I always have to drink a Celsius before the game and I always have to take the last shot after warmups is over.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
JS: My playlist is mix of everything I have some rap in there some up tempo song to get me going even some good country.

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
JS: I love to be out on the water and fish I have my own boat so I’m out all the time.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Chicken parm and ice tea
  • Favorite Color? Orange
  • Favorite Movie? Wedding crashers
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York islanders
  • Favorite Athlete? Michael Jordan
  • Favorite Season? Summer

See some of Joey's career athletic accomplishments: 8th grade: Rookie of the year, All county, all division 84 points; 9th grade: All county all division Suffolk county Attackman of the year, All American First team all Long Island 131 points; 11th grade: All county, All division, Suffolk county attackman of the year, All American, First team all Long Island, Newsday player of the year, Suffolk county champ, LIC champion, LIC MVP.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series