BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 187 of 214 1 2 185 186 187 188 189 213 214
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Lax journal watch list came out yesterday and it’s clear today that parents complained to get more additions. What’s the point of these lists if they get watered down? Does anyone care about them? I can’t wrap my head around it

Watered down is an understatement, how many are on the list? "Watch List" what are we supposed to be watching for?

Lol, agreed!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NIKE/USA LACROSSE
HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS’ NATIONAL TOP 25
1. St. Paul’s (Md.)
2. Northport (N.Y.)
3. McDonogh (Md.)
4. St. Anthony’s (N.Y.)
5. Bayport-Blue Point (N.Y.)
6. Stone Ridge (Md.)
7. Notre Dame Prep (Md.)
8. New Canaan (Conn.)
9. Darien (Conn.)
10. Glenelg Country (Md.)
11. Garden City (N.Y.)
12. Loyola Academy (Ill.)
13. Oak Knoll (N.J.)
14. St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (Va.)
15. Georgetown Visitation (D.C.)
16. Manhasset (N.Y.)
17. Wantagh (N.Y.)
18. Milton (Ga.)
19. Agnes Irwin (Pa.)
20. Cicero-North Syracuse (N.Y.)
21. Moorestown (N.J.)
22. Baldwinsville (N.Y.)
23. Good Counsel (Md.)
24. Penn Charter (Pa.)
25. West Babylon (N.Y.)

Not sure? How are these rankings calculated from last year during the pandemic year.?

Probably reputation and performance of last full year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lax journal watch list came out yesterday and it’s clear today that parents complained to get more additions. What’s the point of these lists if they get watered down? Does anyone care about them? I can’t wrap my head around it

I don’t know how they are making that list? Are they asking HS/Club coaches about the players? I think You can send a girls name to them? How do they know what players are “the ones” to watch!? We should watch them all and let the playing speak for itself .

Yes let the stats speak for the girls......this list was littered with girls who weren't even on their Varsity team last year....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don’t know how they are making that list? Are they asking HS/Club coaches about the players? I think You can send a girls name to them? How do they know what players are “the ones” to watch!? We should watch them all and let the playing speak for itself .

Yes let the stats speak for the girls......this list was littered with girls who weren't even on their Varsity team last year....

All I’m watching is the 2024 cry babies whose mommy and daddy complained to get them added to the updated list. As if the original list wasn’t ridiculous enough they added in a handful of kids even worse than those on the list

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stats? HS stats mean very little and are in no way any indication of a players actual ability, athleticism, skill, ability etc... In too many cases competition is just too weak so HS play is not a very good barometer for measuring how good a player actually is. That said, having a "watch List" with approximately 200 players on it is just foolish. What are they attempting to represent with this list? But hey, now when little Bella doesn't make Under Armour the parents can cry foul because she was on the watch list. Sorry to pooh pooh the list but it is just too many players.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What’s the goal of any website? To get eyeballs! Guess what, they got them!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stats? HS stats mean very little and are in no way any indication of a players actual ability, athleticism, skill, ability etc... In too many cases competition is just too weak so HS play is not a very good barometer for measuring how good a player actually is. That said, having a "watch List" with approximately 200 players on it is just foolish. What are they attempting to represent with this list? But hey, now when little Bella doesn't make Under Armour the parents can cry foul because she was on the watch list. Sorry to pooh pooh the list but it is just too many players.

Should be 10 girls per grade. Period! Or could be done like a pre season 1st, 2nd team because that’s how Newsday does post season. That’s it! Any more is foolish

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Should be 10 girls per grade. Period! Or could be done like a pre season 1st, 2nd team because that’s how Newsday does post season. That’s it! Any more is foolish

I think it’s crazier that 5 kids were added a day after posting. They didn’t make the original giant list but that wasn’t hint enough maybe they aren’t a top star of their class

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
like any list, many deserving kids, many undeserving. I've seen some club coaches submitted the entire team, some kids who played JV last year and don't even start on their own club team. Those things ruin these lists.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

10 is probably a little light.... 200 way too many.... They should survey the College Coaches from the 15 to 20 best college programs, the programs that are always in the Top 10 - 20, it's basically the same schools every year. Obviously those coaches have proven that they can identify the best players. Ask them what players from Long Island will you be extending an offer to? I'm joking of course, it will never happen but if id did we would have a pretty accurate list of the top 20 - 30 players in each grade from LI.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All I’m watching is the 2024 cry babies whose mommy and daddy complained to get them added to the updated list. As if the original list wasn’t ridiculous enough they added in a handful of kids even worse than those on the list[/quote]

Wow so sad that adults act this way. You do get that it’s a list for teenage girls right. All your doing is knocking children down for no reason. If you don’t agree I can understand that but to be so immature and nasty about 15/16 year old girls is just pathetic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
like any list, many deserving kids, many undeserving. I've seen some club coaches submitted the entire team, some kids who played JV last year and don't even start on their own club team. Those things ruin these lists.

I don’t think these were submitted by clubs. It seems to have been submitted by school coaches as well as kids seen by the company. I only say that because some club coaches kids weren’t on it originally until a few days later.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was told it was generated based off of the last years High School Spring season, Winter league and LILJ showcase event. So all these kids who did not play varsity last year or attend these events is odd that they are on these lists.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was told it was generated based off of the last years High School Spring season, Winter league and LILJ showcase event. So all these kids who did not play varsity last year or attend these events is odd that they are on these lists.

Also odd that kids on c and d teams who were on JV made it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Newsday’s list are mostly political.Definitely not the best players on the island let alone their own team.As for determining who makes the list stats on the varsity level are and should be the determining factors.Along with the winter league simply due to exposure and body of work.Yes the list is way to big(should be 50 spread out across the 4 positions on the field)throughout Long Island.The underclassmen rankings are harder to do because of the lack of varsity experience and depend more on coaches referral.Summer tournaments and showcases have been watered down.Years ago you had to be accepted,now it’s just the first to sign up and give the dough so they can’t be taken seriously.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Newsday’s list are mostly political.Definitely not the best players on the island let alone their own team.As for determining who makes the list stats on the varsity level are and should be the determining factors.Along with the winter league simply due to exposure and body of work.Yes the list is way to big(should be 50 spread out across the 4 positions on the field)throughout Long Island.The underclassmen rankings are harder to do because of the lack of varsity experience and depend more on coaches referral.Summer tournaments and showcases have been watered down.Years ago you had to be accepted,now it’s just the first to sign up and give the dough so they can’t be taken seriously.
Newsday lists for girls and boys is a complete joke. Larger schools dominate the list as do stat stackers

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you were not on Varsity last season and do not start on your club team, you should not be on the list. Period !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you were not on Varsity last season and do not start on your club team, you should not be on the list. Period !

Such a dense thing to say! Everyone on here knows that not every varsity team the same levels. Some are easy to make s freshman and sophomores, and others almost impossible. Can’t judge by Varsity comment. Apples and Oranges.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

list is usually upper class kids. mostly juniors and seniors and the top top sophomores.
Very rarely see freshman on there.
I agree 100 is maybe too many
I would say top 50 we can all agree on. next 50 we can argue for 200 girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed! This list is silly and meaningless. Do something on the field! We all know who those girls are, and are not. I don’t see the point of having girls who can’t catch and throw and are a liability on the field put on a “watch list”. That are we watching for? How many times they turn the ball over?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best players on Long Island get pulled up in 8th and 9th grade regardless of school size and teams ability, everyone knows that. Whoever posted that comment regarding " Apples and Oranges" is delusional. I guess you made that comment because your kid made the LILJ list and did not play varsity last year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That comment has to be from a dad who's kid made the watch list who was on JV last year. Apples and Oranges LOL. High School programs pull up the quality players no matter what level the team is. If a Program see's talent they bring that player up, regardless of the programs ranking or ability. Your comment was the epitome of dense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best players on Long Island get pulled up in 8th and 9th grade regardless of school size and teams ability, everyone knows that. Whoever posted that comment regarding " Apples and Oranges" is delusional. I guess you made that comment because your kid made the LILJ list and did not play varsity last year.
Not true. Some district don’t pull up

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And that is exactly why HS means nothing when it comes to evaluating players. HS stats and accolades are not a very good measure of a players ability or potential. The competition is inconsistent and in many cases flat out weak. Many times seniors running by 8th and 9th graders to score goals, many times players running by players who simply are not very strong etc... Club lacrosse is where you can tell who the players are. I have seen girls that put up big numbers in HS go to mediocre college teams and not get on the field. College coaches recruit off the club circuit, they want to see players compete against strong competition, they do not care if you can run by a non athletic player. Congratulations to all of the players named to the list but 90% will not be getting calls from any Top 10 teams that is not knocking the players, it is reality. If your daughter is on a strong club team playing against the other top club teams and standing out she will receive offers from the top programs, if she holds her own she will get plenty of attention probably not from the top programs but she will be fine. BTW, this holds true in just about all sports, Club / AAU / Travel, whatever you want to call it is where the competition is and is where colleges recruit from. Football being the exception.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That comment has to be from a dad who's kid made the watch list who was on JV last year. Apples and Oranges LOL. High School programs pull up the quality players no matter what level the team is. If a Program see's talent they bring that player up, regardless of the programs ranking or ability. Your comment was the epitome of dense.

Nope! You are the truly Dense one. The top HS Varsity programs have more girls that could be varsity level players anywhere else, but there are no open spots at those schools. Due to the amount of talent and high level of players they have there.

St. Anthony’s is a good example of that. Their JVA team could beat many LI HS Varsity programs. So, you are wrong. Many HS Varsity teams are made up of B players, because that’s what they have to pick from. The JVA players at SA would be on most Varsity teams anywhere else! There are other schools like that as well. You don’t see many Freshman or Sophomores on those Varsity teams!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoever says or even thinks that varsity in the talent rich long island and I can speak for Suffolk is not a good measure and watered down is delusional and caught up in the money grab of travel.Our schedule has 2 of the top 10 teams in the Country and high Quality section xi teams all throughout.Don’t know if any summer tournaments or even nationals that have that much talent pooled together.If your kid hasn’t played varsity(not made the team and watched)then you simply don’t know what your talking about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoever says or even thinks that varsity in the talent rich long island and I can speak for Suffolk is not a good measure and watered down is delusional and caught up in the money grab of travel.Our schedule has 2 of the top 10 teams in the Country and high Quality section xi teams all throughout.Don’t know if any summer tournaments or even nationals that have that much talent pooled together.If your kid hasn’t played varsity(not made the team and watched)then you simply don’t know what your talking about.

Not all LI HS Varsity teams are made up of top level players. You are delusional. The top summer tournaments like LAX For The Cure, G8 , etc …does have the top talent playing there on elite teams! That’s where the college coaches are more likely scouting and recruiting! Not at HS games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds a daddy is upset !! Nobody ever said anything about the talent of school ball. There might be a few teams that don’t pull up , but everyone knows if the kid is good, they are not wasting her talent. So yes 90 percent of the varsity teams will pull up if the kid has talent, regardless of the talent level on the team. Stop making excuses !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Talent rich Long Island? HS Rankings? Long Island will send fewer than 30 players to Top 20 caliber teams each year and probably fewer than 15 kids to Top 10 caliber teams each year and those players are spread out across many HS teams. When the top two of three club teams at any age group from Long Island compete against the top club teams from other areas, that is where the best competition is. YJ does not fill their top team with all girls from the same HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What do you mean spread out.Try playing top teams week in and week out.
.Sayville,BBP,WB,ESM,Mt.Sinai,Swr,Comsewogue,Smithtown,Westhampton.Just a few players spread out?Varsity isn’t a pay to play competition.Any kid would rather have a county or state title for there school than any medal for a recruiting tournament that you will be overcharged for.Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.This isn’t JV and your kid starts on their travel club

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
.Sayville,BBP,WB,ESM,Mt.Sinai,Swr,Comsewogue,Smithtown,Westhampton.Just a few players spread out?Varsity isn’t a pay to play competition.Any kid would rather have a county or state title for there school than any medal for a recruiting tournament that you will be overcharged for.Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.This isn’t JV and your kid starts on their travel club

General theme on here appears to be to change the subject or move the goal posts... Nobody said anything about winning a championship with HS Team was not something special.

The Talent is absolutely spread out as well as being broken down by grad year, 8th 9th and 10th graders all over the place. The stronger teams in suffolk usually have 1 or 2 kids maybe 3 per grad year that could be considered legit top tier players. Some grad years may have none. Compare that to a one of M&D's Top Teams, compare it to a YJ top team. The top talent is spread out all the top players are not on one team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Long Island people are funny. They tend to think that the lacrosse world revolves around Long Island and that all of the best players come from Long Island (which they do not). Just look at the recruiting classes every year at the most competitive universities, the vast majority of players come from someplace other than Long Island (probably 90% come from other areas). That is what made UA Underclass so good it brought in the majority of the best players from around the country to compete. When the best club teams play it's the same thing, many of the girls competing will be heading to the very best college programs. As an earlier post indicated it's done in every sport the best kids have to find a venue to compete against the best competition and that is where the college coaches go to recruit. The UNC coach wants to see prospects compete against players that will be heading to BC, Northwestern, Md etc...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s comical how people who’s kids probably never made or played varsity YET say travel is way better competition.It’s not even a close comparison.Next we’ll hear how high level travel is more competitive than college.When you stop paying for the travel circuit some may come to their senses trying to justify getting ripped off to wear a certain uniform.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s comical how people who’s kids probably never made or played varsity YET say travel is way better competition.It’s not even a close comparison.Next we’ll hear how high level travel is more competitive than college.When you stop paying for the travel circuit some may come to their senses trying to justify getting ripped off to wear a certain uniform.

Regarding “ Making” Varsity and playing varsity at LI HIghschools. It absolutely matters the HS. Just because someone on Varsity at one school, it does not make them better than a girl on JV at a better lacrosse school. I know of many, where that is the case. Just depends on the lacrosse level at the HS. My daughters club team is much better and more competitive than her HS varsity team! Just matters what HS girl is in. That is exactly why she plays club. The highschool team is not great. That may not be the case for girls in hotbed HS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry, It does not appear that you have a firm grasp on reality. I just looked quickly at the college commitment list for the Yellow Jackets 2022 class. Here is a quick breakdown.

18 Soffolk County HS Represented.
37 total commits from suffolk

4 Top Tier commits ( Top 20 type programs) from Suffolk County
also, 4 suffolk kids committed to SBU.

the balance of players going to to a variety of schools acrosse DI, DII and DIII.
Sorry but I do not believe that there is a HS in Suffolk that has 7 or more seniors on the roster heading to Top 20 DI schools. More like 1 or 2.
The Top Club teams do have several more top notch players.

Obviously the Long Island / Suffolk County talent is spread out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Regarding “ Making” Varsity and playing varsity at LI HIghschools. It absolutely matters the HS. Just because someone on Varsity at one school, it does not make them better than a girl on JV at a better lacrosse school. I know of many, where that is the case. Just depends on the lacrosse level at the HS. My daughters club team is much better and more competitive than her HS varsity team! Just matters what HS girl is in. That is exactly why she plays club. The highschool team is not great. That may not be the case for girls in hotbed HS

Not a knock but way to many kids sit on JV or on varsity bench till Senior year at prestigious stacked lacrosse high schools. Many even as juniors play very little and get pushed back to bench as senior by rising powerhouse fr / soph / jr. While it may be great to make playoffs or win county titles eventually kid needs to play. Kid needs to lead in games and get it done not just watch powerhouse ( insert HS ) steamroll teams while they clap. Otherwise sadly they’ll still be clapping at the college they attend from same spot they were on HS team. Being a backup or 3rd string QB on the best team is worse than starter on weaker team. Team sports are meant to be played.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not a knock but way to many kids sit on JV or on varsity bench till Senior year at prestigious stacked lacrosse high schools. Many even as juniors play very little and get pushed back to bench as senior by rising powerhouse fr / soph / jr. While it may be great to make playoffs or win county titles eventually kid needs to play. Kid needs to lead in games and get it done not just watch powerhouse ( insert HS ) steamroll teams while they clap. Otherwise sadly they’ll still be clapping at the college they attend from same spot they were on HS team. Being a backup or 3rd string QB on the best team is worse than starter on weaker team. Team sports are meant to be played.

There are backups on every team. If you only value playing time you really don’t understand team sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No offense says the backup for a career. Backups aren’t starters. Odds are they’ll never be cause playing is the best practice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No offense says the backup for a career. Backups aren’t starters. Odds are they’ll never be cause playing is the best practice.

FYI, Lacrosse isn’t a career either. Some girls just want to be part of a team and hoping lacrosse will help open some doors for them and they enjoy being part of a team. Those girls May even just play for the club team in college, and put school first. Wow, go figure. Every girls goals are different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FYI, Lacrosse isn’t a career either. Some girls just want to be part of a team and hoping lacrosse will help open some doors for them and they enjoy being part of a team. Those girls May even just play for the club team in college, and put school first. Wow, go figure. Every girls goals are different.

Can’t have it both ways. Are we extolling the dominant team that’s why I’m a backup cause I’m actually great or there’s no future in lax so being a backup on best team gets me better school? The point was playing. There are no backups in D1 or competitive D2/3 lacrosse. Just players who haven’t taken your job yet cause you are playing better.
I guess my point was you gotta play now if you want to have a chance to play later. I always thought we played sports in HS to play not be on a better team. Never advocated to be the best on the worst team but not playing any meaningful minutes won’t help getting on any programs including the better academic ones.
Sitting on the bench is far from ideal for any goals kid wants other than t-shirt they won division or counties.
In my experience top travel gets you minutes of quality but that’s not a HS goal, they win.
I guess I take it different that sitting on the bench and winning a t shirt is better than fun and sweat of playing on a team YOU make good. Better college being end goal but enjoying the race there should as well.

Like Reply Quote
Page 187 of 214 1 2 185 186 187 188 189 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard