BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Brine National Lacrosse Classic - Baltimore, Maryland
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Recap: 2013 Brine National Lacrosse Classic

Baltimore, MD, July 5, 2013-- The East region rose to the top at the 2013 Brine National Lacrosse Classic with Long Island and New Jersey reaching the Championship rounds for both high school boys and girls. Long Island captured the 2013 Brine National Championship for high school girls while New Jersey high school boys emerged victorious edging an emotionally charged Long Island squad to win their first national title.

An estimated 3,700 people attended the 6th annual Brine National Lacrosse Classic over 3 days at the Maryland Soccerplex in Boyds, Maryland including NCAA lacrosse coaches from every division.

In total, 56 regional teams from different parts of the nation, 1,300 athletes and 96 coaches from the United States and Canada participated in the event.

NCAA lacrosse coaches from top colleges and university programs coached the Academy players during the 3 day event - Duke University, Virginia, Yale, Penn, Maryland, Towson, Villanova, UMBC, Georgetown, High Point, Hofstra, Air Force, Bellarmine, USC, Colorado, Monmouth and the University of Florida.

Long Island North swept through the Academy division to win their first national title. The squad was the most talented group of players in the nation and by far the most impressive grouping of players to have competed in the Brine National All Star Lacrosse Academy in 3 years.

Academy boys regional teams from Long Island North, Long Island South, Alabama, New Jersey, Georgia, Texas, Rochester (2012 Brine National Champions) and New England North reached the Elite 8 playoff round.

New Jersey won the Academy girls division by a one goal margin and score of 7-6 over Long Island in an exciting and well-played national championship game.

Academy girls regional teams from New Jersey, Long Island, Pennsylvania and Syracuse advanced to the Final 4 playoff round.

Long Island high school girls won the 2013 Brine National Championship defeating New Jersey 9-3 in the title game.
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and Long Island advanced to the Final Four playoff rounds after competitive pool play.

The Final Four games were decided by only one goal.

In the high school boys division, New Jersey North advanced through the Elite 8 and Final Four rounds to become the 2013 Brine National Champion and qualify to play Canada for the 2014 Brogden Cup in Canada.

Regional teams were placed into different brackets for pool play. Teams experienced competition from various parts of the country.
• In high school boys pool A, Rochester (3-0-1), New Jersey South (2-0-2), Michigan (1-1-2), Florida (1-3) and Virginia (0-3-1) combined for a total of 7 wins, 7 losses and 6 ties, proving that the Brine National Lacrosse Classic is a most balanced and competitive tournament.
• High school boys pool B, New Jersey North (3-0-1), Syracuse (3-1)m Washington DC (2-1), Tennessee (0-3-1) and the West (0-3-1).
• High school boys pool C, Long Island North (4-0), Illinois (2-1-1), New England North (1-2-1), Carolina (1-3) and Pennsylvania (1-3)
• High school boys pool D, Maryland (3-0-1), Ohio (2-1-1) Long Island South (2-1-1), Georgia (1-2-1) and New England South (0-4-0).
• In high school girls pool A, defending National Champion Maryland (4-1), New Jersey (4-1), Syracuse (3-1-1) Carolina (2-2-1), Illinois (1-4) and Kentucky (0-5).
• High school girls pool B, Pennsylvania (5-0), Long Island (3-1), Washington DC (3-2), Florida (2-3), New England (1-3) and West (0-5).
• In the Academy boys division, pool A, New Jersey (3-0), Rochester (2-1), Carolina (1-2), and Washington DC (0-3).
• Academy boys pool B, Long Island North (3-0) proved unstoppable to capture the 2013 Brine National Championship with a total goal differential of +40, Texas posted a second place finish (2-1), New England South (1-2) and Florida (0-3).
• Academy boys pool C, New England North (3-0), Georgia (2-1), Illinois (1-2) and Maryland (0-3).
• Academy boys pool D, Long Island South (3-0), Alabama claimed second (2-1), Pennsylvania (1-2) and Ohio (0-3).
• In the Academy girls division, pool A featured Pennsylvania in first (3-0), Syracuse (2-1), Maryland (1-2) and Florida (0-3).
• Academy girls pool B, New Jersey (2-0-1), Long Island (2-0), Washington DC (1-2) and Alabama (0-3).

Re: Brine National Lacrosse Classic - Baltimore, Maryland
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yikes. Poor showing by Maryland. Hope we get
a better turnout at tryouts next year

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
repost from 2017 LI Forum---

Brine National Lacrosse Classic – parent observations on Middle School Boys Academy division

Of the 400 players over 300 were 2017s, about 80 were 2018s and less than 20 were 2019s

The athleticism at the event was phenomenal. The game was played very fast. All regions had great athletes. I do not think any one team stood out athletically.

The Long Island teams stood out the tournament for two reasons

Coaching – it is painfully obvious that the boys from LI are receiving better coaching day in and day out when back at home. For example, on other teams, basic slide packages failed regularly. One of my son’s teammates repeatedly claimed to be the “hot” slide regardless of where he and/or the ball were on the field. Middies dodged through heavy traffic while wide open teammates were stuck watching the turnover.

Team Play – with two teams for LI at the very least each club represented by multiple players should have had their club rosters split in half. The LI North team did not fully utilize their allotted field practice time on Monday. Why would they? Two games to play in the heat later that day, and these boys have been practicing together for years. Another 45 minutes wouldn’t make a difference. It was clear from the execution of plays that these boys were running plays beyond what was coached on July 1st.

This is very disappointing and a lost opportunity. All Star weeks are all about meeting new friends and passing to someone who is wearing a different helmet than you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Brine National Lacrosse Classic – parent observations on Middle School Boys Academy division

Of the 400 players over 300 were 2017s, about 80 were 2018s and less than 20 were 2019s

The athleticism at the event was phenomenal. The game was played very fast. All regions had great athletes. I do not think any one team stood out athletically.

Coaching – it is painfully obvious that the boys from LI are receiving better coaching day in and day out when back at home. For example, on other teams, basic slide packages failed regularly. One of my son’s teammates repeatedly claimed to be the “hot” slide regardless of where he and/or the ball were on the field. Middies dodged through heavy traffic while wide open teammates were stuck watching the turnover.

Team Play – with two teams for LI at the very least each club represented by multiple players should have had their club rosters split in half. The LI North team did not fully utilize their allotted field practice time on Monday. Why would they? Two games to play in the heat later that day, and these boys have been practicing together for years. Another 45 minutes wouldn’t make a difference. It was clear from the execution of plays that these boys were running plays beyond what was coached on July 1st.

This is very disappointing and a lost opportunity. All Star weeks are all about meeting new friends and passing to someone who is wearing a different helmet than you.

I'd have to disagree with the last statement, the object is to get the best in the region to play the best in other regions, the LI North team was definitely the dominant team, and yes, some of them play together on a regular basis. The opportunity was the fact that they were selected and was able to play against other regions.
So they ran away with the title, it is obvious that this year, LI had a strong showing, let's see how the 2017 players do next year when trying out for varsity and we will also see how our 2018, 2019, and 2020 fair next year. This event is attracting a lot more attention and I can guarantee that there will be probably 500+ who try out for the MS (Academy) group this coming fall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Both Long Island teams were talented. I think the point is if the Breakers or Crabs sent 8-10 boys to Brine and they could run multile offenses, the results would be different. Maryland needs to do a better job raising awareness of this event. I am not discounting the talent of the Long Island teams, but they did have an unfair advantage over teams that met for the first time when gettng the uniforms.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to admit the 2019 group is impressive on Long Island. Alot of very good teams and talent. But actually how many of them would make this team? Obviously puberty plays a role in this because of that two year age difference. But when they get to 8th grade they will be a great group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is this MS academy you speak of? Spread the word now, how when do you sign up?

I'd have to disagree with the last statement, the object is to get the best in the region to play the best in other regions, the LI North team was definitely the dominant team, and yes, some of them play together on a regular basis. The opportunity was the fact that they were selected and was able to play against other regions.
So they ran away with the title, it is obvious that this year, LI had a strong showing, let's see how the 2017 players do next year when trying out for varsity and we will also see how our 2018, 2019, and 2020 fair next year. This event is attracting a lot more attention and I can guarantee that there will be probably 500+ who try out for the MS (Academy) group this coming fall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is an all star event. It is not a team showcase. The plays being run by LI North created an uneven playing field. This is fact, not opinion and not whining. All the other teams were quite evenly matched with each other. Rochester did this at the HS level a few years ago. The team practiced together regularly before the event.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is an all star event. It is not a team showcase. The plays being run by LI North created an uneven playing field. This is fact, not opinion and not whining. All the other teams were quite evenly matched with each other. Rochester did this at the HS level a few years ago. The team practiced together regularly before the event.

The LI team had ZERO practices before the event.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The LI team could not work out plays ahead of time. Yes, 7 of the 25 play on one club team, but the rest were all from different teams and they could not play together or their club teams would freak out.

Long Island is a hot bed. Lots of programs, starting at an early age, all year round with top coaches, lots of competition and lacrosse has been a mainstream HS sport on LI for a long time.. maybe that's whey the LI team was so strong. Nah.. probably not...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ahhh Excuses excuses. and LI could've done better advertising tryouts to 91 Extreme and Express Orange... come on... each region sends who they send... stop. ok?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't worry you do NOT sound like 'sour grapes' Keep practicing, we'll see you again next year!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The LI team could not work out plays ahead of time. Yes, 7 of the 25 play on one club team, but the rest were all from different teams and they could not play together or their club teams would freak out.

Long Island is a hot bed. Lots of programs, starting at an early age, all year round with top coaches, lots of competition and lacrosse has been a mainstream HS sport on LI for a long time.. maybe that's whey the LI team was so strong. Nah.. probably not...

Sorry to correct you but you have it backwards. 7 of the 25 kids from the North team were NOT from the Turtles. The rest of the roster was made up of kids from the Turtles. Thats a fact. I do agree with you though, Long Island lacrosse is as strong as its ever been and the 2017 age group is absolutely stacked with talent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard there were a few kids from the Long Island South team that were unhappy about the amount of playing time their kids got. At least one kid left the tournament over it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, that is true and I hope every college recruiting coach has that players name because if you recruit this player, the father will be a raving lunatic in your face coach! This parent epitomizes EVERYTHING that the keynote speaker Greg Dale, coached parents and players NOT to do... Guess the player was not interested in playing for Duke.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard there were a few kids from the Long Island South team that were unhappy about the amount of playing time their kids got. At least one kid left the tournament over it.

I was looking at the overall roster and one of the boy on that team ( LI South ) is named Jake Caputo a 2019 boy from Apex, NC . The dads name is Ron so I am assuming its the event coordinator. Assuming that this is truer and the boy was placed on a roster to bolster is young lacrosse resume what does this say about the integrity of this event. No wonder why a kid left for lack of playing time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was looking at the overall roster and one of the boy on that team ( LI South ) is named Jake Caputo a 2019 boy from Apex, NC . The dads name is Ron so I am assuming its the event coordinator. Assuming that this is truer and the boy was placed on a roster to bolster is young lacrosse resume what does this say about the integrity of this event. No wonder why a kid left for lack of playing time.

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family on LI...what's the big deal

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches at Duke University and according to roster lives in Apex, NC . Another son made the NC team and is a year older so it does seem a bit odd. Did these boys attend the regional try outs is the real question.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family on LI...what's the big deal

And what can you say about his (Caputo) Syosset friend whose two sons played for Team Ohio, I guess he coaches or lives there too. Awful how these guys play with peoples minds just plain awful and deplorable.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's wrong is posting a 12 year old kids names regarless of what you may believe to be true about their parents!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed shouldn't include specifics but the previous posts are a bit alarming if true !

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
What's wrong is posting a 12 year old kids names regarless of what you may believe to be true about their parents!!
Nothing in these posts have violated the BOTC Board Rules which is why to this point the posts have remained uneditted.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
What is the big deal? Did he deserve to play? Could this kid play on the DD's, or 91 2019 and be a stud? If not, he didn't deserve it!!!!

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family kon LI...what's the big deal

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question is did the kid even tryout and if the dad is the event coordinator what influence was exerted on the evaluators. There is enough favoritism / nepotism on club teams are there any events not contaminated with such practices.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LaxDad#14
What is the big deal? Did he deserve to play? Could this kid play on the DD's, or 91 2019 and be a stud? If not, he didn't deserve it!!!!

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family kon LI...what's the big deal

There is no integrity of this event with the Long Island tryouts. Can speak of other areas. Look at the girls side with the region coordinator owns Team elevate. 11 girls at least made the LI girls team out of over 120 girls. Odds are impossible they are the best of the best. That was in addition to personal connections he had with other players on the team. Unfortunately, there are politics in everything!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry to correct you but you have it backwards. 7 of the 25 kids from the North team were NOT from the Turtles. The rest of the roster was made up of kids from the Turtles. Thats a fact. I do agree with you though, Long Island lacrosse is as strong as its ever been and the 2017 age group is absolutely stacked with talent.

Not a FACT. Your numbers are a bit off, More like 12 of the 25 are Turtles & are in FACT spectacular, as were the other 13 LI players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The kid left because his father is an idiot (hopefully the child will not learn better sportsmanship than his father showed). All the kids played, some more than others, some not in their normal positions but the idea was to win not get even playing times.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the kid was rock solid, scored at least 3 goals in one of the games, he also played for 2019 91 xTreme, someone want to complain about that.

Originally Posted by LaxDad#14

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Nothing in these posts have violated the BOTC Board Rules which is why to this point the posts have remained uneditted.

So you are willing to post a 12 year olds first and last name while an adult talks about them??

WOW!

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by CageSage

So you are willing to post a 12 year olds first and last name while an adult talks about them??

WOW!
I thought we already established this. Next question.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fair enough! You have established. If that's your site and I will no longer visit!

You wouldn't appreciate if it was your child.
Thanks

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Fair enough! You have established. If that's your site and I will no longer visit!

You wouldn't appreciate if it was your child.
Thanks
There is nothing that has been said negative about the player and certainly nothing appears to be in violation of the BOTC Board Rules.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Either way it is doubtful this boy tried out and if you live in a different state . It appears odd that you would not represent your home state.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tired of hearing about this so I searched the Brine Classic site and under Middle School Long Island Boys Roster announced the previously mentioned boy is not listed .See link below. So there is merit to question the lack of integrity in this showcase. The event coordinator should be removed , not only because he allowed this but he also is benefitting by his position. It's hard to imagine another 2017 Long Island boy would not benefit in stature or confidence by being named to the team.
http://www.nationallacrosseclassic.com/news/long-island-middle-school-bo1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tired of hearing about this so I searched the Brine Classic site and under Middle School Long Island Boys Roster announced the previously mentioned boy is not listed .See link below. So there is merit to question the lack of integrity in this showcase. The event coordinator should be removed , not only because he allowed this but he also is benefitting by his position. It's hard to imagine another 2017 Long Island boy would not benefit in stature or confidence by being named to the team.

somebody must be monitoring this site very closely (NSA?) because I just looked at your link and the boy is clearly registered on the main page with all the kids from all the teams, can't wait for Oliver Stone to explain all this http://www.nationallacrosseclassic.com/2013-academy-boys/

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct but not on the original announced rosters so how did he get placed on a team he did not try out for. It seems as though you are vehemently trying to defend these actions as though you have a vested interest. Facts are facts this boy should never have received the same accolades of a boy who worked hard and tried out for this showcase. If you continue to look at the main page roster there are a lot of question marks that can be placed alongside a boy who lives far away from the state he played for.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

somebody must be monitoring this site very closely (NSA?) because I just looked at your link and the boy is clearly registered on the main page with all the kids from all the teams, can't wait for Oliver Stone to explain all this http://www.nationallacrosseclassic.com/2013-academy-boys/
BOTC cannot document when these updates took place but we do know that something changed between the original posting and your follow-up.

If members of the Brine National Lacrosse Classic are following us here on BOTC (after all, why wouldn't you? smirk ), they should contact us directly and we can then get an official view on the tryouts process. While we cannot change anything that has taken place in the past year, we can certainly increase the transparency for everyone going forward. Transparency instills trust.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct but not on the original announced rosters so how did he get placed on a team he did not try out for. It seems as though you are vehemently trying to defend these actions as though you have a vested interest. Facts are facts this boy should never have received the same accolades of a boy who worked hard and tried out for this showcase. If you continue to look at the main page roster there are a lot of question marks that can be placed alongside a boy who lives far away from the state he played for.

I do not have a vested interest, my kid played in the tournament 2 years ago and I have no life so I read BOTC 24/7 and like to stir the pot when I read obsessive compulsive anonymous postings on lax sites, it rocks my world, and FYI the father/director you have a beef with has an e-mail and phone number posted on his teams web site, give him a call and hash it out with him, I am sure that will go well!! http://www.goduke.com/StaffDirectory.dbml

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I do not have a vested interest, my kid played in the tournament 2 years ago and I have no life so I read BOTC 24/7 and like to stir the pot when I read obsessive compulsive anonymous postings on lax sites, it rocks my world, and FYI the father/director you have a beef with has an e-mail and phone number posted on his teams web site, give him a call and hash it out with him, I am sure that will go well!! http://www.goduke.com/StaffDirectory.dbml

Who cares? Is this a surprise to everyone? He knew someone and got on a team. Anyone think this is only kid that got on that way? Think that's any different than any HS or travel tryout? Welcome to life. All about who you know and how you can position yourself. Everyone is all about integrity today while they are leaving kids back in school and play on teams they are not on! Move on!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i don't think people want to believe how corrupt these showcases really are because if your child makes the team legit it negates the value of the accomplishment. However it does seem like something is wrong with the overall selection process.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard