BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Evaluation Tip #8
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Try to give an evaluation right after tryouts. This way when you give one at the end of the season, the players can compare them.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Evaluation Tip #8
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You would think one would be entitled to some type of feedback after a tryout. If no feedback, let it be known at the tryouts that the fools trying out are just making a donation to the club and the teams are already picked. Give a receipt for a tax deductible donation at least we can write it off as a charitable donation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You would think one would be entitled to some type of feedback after a tryout. If no feedback, let it be known at the tryouts that the fools trying out are just making a donation to the club and the teams are already picked. Give a receipt for a tax deductible donation at least we can write it off as a charitable donation.

It's getting a litttle old on so many of these threads people crying about try outs being donations to the club. The only ones who have a gripe would be current players, especially the better ones who are in no danger of being replaced.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
your feedback is what team you made or didn't make

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
It's getting a litttle old on so many of these threads people crying about try outs being donations to the club. The only ones who have a gripe would be current players, especially the better ones who are in no danger of being replaced.
BOTC asks this question seriously : why do you feel this way?

Lacrosse has developed this incredibly strange tradition that just to tryout for a team, you have to pay a fee in most situations. This is not a college application process we are talking about here. This is about joining a youth sports team.

So, let us turn around the question on you if we may : Exactly why is it "OK" for teams to charge players to tryout for their ranks?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
That's true. My kids have played other sports and never had a tryout fee. You paid league fees once you joined a team. This tryout fee stuff is nuts! Unless you feel like spreading your wealth around, it's like you are encouraged to limit your tryouts. They've got you before hello.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they charge a fee, because you will pay it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
some of the tryouts are held at indoor facilities that I would assume charge the club a fee. I can see the justification in that case as well as if there are other expenses that I'm not thinking about. Otherwise, I suppose it is pretty crappy that there is a fee.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
some of the tryouts are held at indoor facilities that I would assume charge the club a fee. I can see the justification in that case as well as if there are other expenses that I'm not thinking about. Otherwise, I suppose it is pretty crappy that there is a fee.
In the situation where an indoor facility is used to offer tryouts, isn't that a cost of being "in business" for the lacrosse organization? The question is why these costs are not factored into the full year costs for the accepted players? Shouldn't the accepted players be the cost bearers?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some programs of not for profit, and the cost of "renting" a field needs to be covered.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem of course is that everyone would have to revolt and hold back their fee. That of course...won't happen because little Jimmy may lose his spot on the team. LOL

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Some programs of not for profit, and the cost of "renting" a field needs to be covered.
What in goodness sakes does "not for profit" corporate status have to do with properly budgeting costs needed for a full fiscal year? "Not for profit" does NOT mean that employees are not making money on the process and it similarly does NOT mean that operating capital cannot be retained at a reasonable level between IRS tax seasons.

Your argument is "we are not-for-profit, we have no money in the bank, we cannot afford to rent a field to run a tryout, so we need those interested to kick-in to help support our business".

We would argue that if you do not have the funds in the bank to maintain operations, let's let free market prevail and have those players go to a sustainable club. Get the point? Tryouts should not be fund raisers, scholarship pool-building vehicles, or revenue boosters - they are tryouts, nothing more.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Lacrosse has developed this incredibly strange tradition that just to tryout for a team, you have to pay a fee in most situations. This is not a college application process we are talking about here. This is about joining a youth sports team.

So, let us turn around the question on you if we may : Exactly why is it "OK" for teams to charge players to tryout for their ranks?

So there are obviously some costs involved in holding try-outs, from fields, paying coaches/evaluators, insurances to cover...whatever needs to get paid for. Does it all add up? I don't know. Why should the cost of the tryout be included in the players fees as a team member? (as someone suggested earlier in this thread) Why should current team members have to pay for new kids who may show up in masses to replace them get stuck covering these expenses? I see nothing wrong with any of these clubs charging a try-out fee to cover costs. The only argument I can support is "they charge too much". I have never been involved in the process, but I do know that, like everything else in life, costs add up quickly and usually to amounts much bigger than the numbers laymen add up quickly in thier heads.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the situation where an indoor facility is used to offer tryouts, isn't that a cost of being "in business" for the lacrosse organization? The question is why these costs are not factored into the full year costs for the accepted players? Shouldn't the accepted players be the cost bearers?

No, I don't think so. From a business perspective, it's what the market will allow. From a justification perspective, everyone attending gets some benefit from the tryout ans should thus share in its cost. When my daughter was younger I had her try out for clubs that we had no intention of being involved with becuase it was basically a cheap clinic and good practive for trying out at the club that did matter

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So there are obviously some costs involved in holding try-outs, from fields, paying coaches/evaluators, insurances to cover...whatever needs to get paid for. Does it all add up? I don't know. Why should the cost of the tryout be included in the players fees as a team member? (as someone suggested earlier in this thread) Why should current team members have to pay for new kids who may show up in masses to replace them get stuck covering these expenses? I see nothing wrong with any of these clubs charging a try-out fee to cover costs. The only argument I can support is "they charge too much". I have never been involved in the process, but I do know that, like everything else in life, costs add up quickly and usually to amounts much bigger than the numbers laymen add up quickly in thier heads.

well said

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

No, I don't think so. From a business perspective, it's what the market will allow. From a justification perspective, everyone attending gets some benefit from the tryout ans should thus share in its cost. When my daughter was younger I had her try out for clubs that we had no intention of being involved with becuase it was basically a cheap clinic and good practive for trying out at the club that did matter

I disagree about the clinic aspect you cite. Tryouts are drills and scrimmages, no one is working with any tryer-outers to help them or correct them or even encourage them. It's purely "show your stuff," as far as I have seen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I asked about tryout fees and was told that if the tryout was free, the club would be forced to evaluate dozens of kids that have no intention of joining their team, but instead saw a chance for a free clinic. True or not that was the explanation I was given...why that fee is raised every year brings that explaination into question.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son plays for LI Lightning, AAU travel basketball league. They hold yearly tryouts, they have to rent the facilities, pay evaluators, insurance costs etc. It was $10 yes just TEN dollars, and he got a t-shirt out of it.

The organization has instructional clinics thru out the year, developmental leagues, with paid HS and college coaches for 3 months at a time. I believe it was 125 for 12 ninety minute clinics.

LAcrosse' business model hmmm something to think about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First let me say that not all programs are created equal or share the same philosophies.
The reason there needs to be a fee for the tryouts is that there are cost associated with running tryouts. Take for instance if a club post tryouts for free and gets an overwhelming response. They then hire more evaluators, purchase more pinnies and book more field time. When the day of the tryout comes, 90% of the people who signed up do not show because they are attending the tryouts of the club that they paid the $50 fee to. Now the organizers of the first tryout are stuck with the cost they have laid out.
The main problem with the culture surrounding these clubs is the perception that MONEY = VALUE.
A club that tries to keep it's fees reasonable and does not make you pay for what you do not need is percieved to be of less value of a club that charges your $1500, plus tournament fees, but "give you" a new helmate and gloves. The club that gives the option to purchse these things at cost and charges you charges you $1000 which includes your tournament fees is percieved less valuable than the club that charges you more but actually delivers less. Meanwhile the cost of the helmate and gloves is $250 so they just got you for an additional $250 plus tournament fees.
A word of advice. When looking for a club for your child, forget about the wins and losses. They are just what most parents feel are indicators of success and helps their egos. Look for a program that offers a lot of practice time, as that is where the kids will do their learning and the coaching will be done. The team you choose should treat every player, regardless of if they are a blue chip prospect or a player that is developing, with respect.
There are programs out there where the people running it are in it for the right reasons. Call or write these programs and ask about their philosophies. If you can not get a director or coach on the phone or a return e-mail to speak about their program to you, then chances are, they do not have the answers that you are looking for.
Remember MONEY DOES NOT ALWAYS EQUAL VALUE. Chose the right program for your son and the wins and losses will take care of themselves. The most important thing is that they learn, develope their skillls and are treated with respect.

Like Reply Quote
Re:INFORMATION
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello

I am looking for some information on the EXCEL lacrosse program? I have two sons who are interested in travel , and a friend of theres is currently in program , but i rather get some outside input not from just one person. Is it true that all his coaches are stonybrook players ?, and LI lizards staff?
or is it to good to be true?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First let me say that not all programs are created equal or share the same philosophies.
The reason there needs to be a fee for the tryouts is that there are cost associated with running tryouts. Take for instance if a club post tryouts for free and gets an overwhelming response. They then hire more evaluators, purchase more pinnies and book more field time. When the day of the tryout comes, 90% of the people who signed up do not show because they are attending the tryouts of the club that they paid the $50 fee to. Now the organizers of the first tryout are stuck with the cost they have laid out.
The main problem with the culture surrounding these clubs is the perception that MONEY = VALUE.
A club that tries to keep it's fees reasonable and does not make you pay for what you do not need is percieved to be of less value of a club that charges your $1500, plus tournament fees, but "give you" a new helmate and gloves. The club that gives the option to purchse these things at cost and charges you charges you $1000 which includes your tournament fees is percieved less valuable than the club that charges you more but actually delivers less. Meanwhile the cost of the helmate and gloves is $250 so they just got you for an additional $250 plus tournament fees.
A word of advice. When looking for a club for your child, forget about the wins and losses. They are just what most parents feel are indicators of success and helps their egos. Look for a program that offers a lot of practice time, as that is where the kids will do their learning and the coaching will be done. The team you choose should treat every player, regardless of if they are a blue chip prospect or a player that is developing, with respect.
There are programs out there where the people running it are in it for the right reasons. Call or write these programs and ask about their philosophies. If you can not get a director or coach on the phone or a return e-mail to speak about their program to you, then chances are, they do not have the answers that you are looking for.
Remember MONEY DOES NOT ALWAYS EQUAL VALUE. Chose the right program for your son and the wins and losses will take care of themselves. The most important thing is that they learn, develope their skillls and are treated with respect.

Treated with respect? Now theres a wacky idea

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

they might say not for profit but are they truly a taxed not-for-profite club and if non-for-profit why are there fees close so some of the profit clubs? We all see the costs of these tournements and know how many kids on a team. There are thousands of dollars per team left over to cover more then enough - insurance, fields, reduced equipement costs at volume buying..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

they might say not for profit but are they truly a taxed not-for-profite club and if non-for-profit why are there fees close so some of the profit clubs? We all see the costs of these tournements and know how many kids on a team. There are thousands of dollars per team left over to cover more then enough - insurance, fields, reduced equipement costs at volume buying..

wow just wow

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not an accountant nor do I play one on TV but a few thoughts, Corporations are set up as a Not-For Profit (not non-profits) and it is a tax status. They can make money, they need to basically spend what they take in, not distribute profits to shareholders at the end of the year and I think that they also have a public benefit. People can and do make a lot of money working for not-for profit organizations. I am not sure what a non-profit is but I think my company is a non-profit because we lose money every year, if we ever made money we would pay taxes on earnings.

I also don't think that all of these organizations are Not for Profits 501(c) so too many people are making too many broad statements about why non-profits charge X, ect. does anybody know who is and is not a 501c, I think fl$ is but I am not sure about the others.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard