BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 81 of 251 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 250 251
Re: Boys 2028 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I also heard something. I don't know if it's true, but I'm going to stir the pot and disparage the target of the thing I heard (or misheard) by posting it on here.

Has Madlax ever forfeited games in HoCo?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
NL kid is a holdback 29 playing up. Stop. At least be honest about it. -BLC daf

What's a "holdback playing up"? If you're a 2028 grad year, but you're held back, you're now a 2029 grad year, but if after you're held back you're then "playing up", you're playing as a...2028? Is that a thing?

Aaah, the old, "I'm a 28" when it's convenient."

Like to dominate as a '29 and "challenge themselves"...on age as a '28.

AKA: Athletically deficient.
they have a 29 number 3 on the 29 team who is a 2 year holdback Kindergarten 3 times

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not to beat a dead horse but there is a simple solution, age based play. Plain and simple.

Great idea. It's never been proposed before. What is your cutoff or start date of birth?

I would go with World Series rules - 9/1/09

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not to beat a dead horse but there is a simple solution, age based play. Plain and simple.

Great idea. It's never been proposed before. What is your cutoff or start date of birth?

I would go with World Series rules - 9/1/09

From the USA Lacrosse website:

We all want the same thing when our players are on the field – a safe playing experience and a fun and sportsmanlike environment.
Grouping players of similar age helps to create a “level playing field” and goes a long way to accomplishing our goals. An athlete's physical and cognitive maturity and development has a significant impact on overall player safety. When players are grouped on teams without consideration of the significant differences in the physical and emotional maturity of players competing with and against each other, safety and quality of play may be jeopardized. USA Lacrosse’s recommended segmentation policy was developed based on significant scientific study and consideration.

NOTABLE ITEMS IN USA LACROSSE'S PLAYER SEGMENTATION POLICY:

An emphasis on grouping players by single-age years (12-month span).
Age is based on player’s age as of Sept 1 in an attempt to align with the majority of school systems nationwide to allow players to play with people in their own grade level.
Firmly defined playing season that begins its 12-month cycle on September 1.
Standardized nomenclature that lists age first (i.e., 12U, not U12).

Seems to work for them so why not everyone else?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Shouldnt you be saying it makes on age better going against your holdback. We all know its Sept 1 and has been for many years, holdback apologist

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Shouldnt you be saying it makes on age better going against your holdback. We all know its Sept 1 and has been for many years, holdback apologist

NY goes by 1/1. How about 8/1 like football or 4/1 like baseball. How about up to a 3 year difference like football based on weight and age. What about soccer and hockey with 1/1. Why go with the toothless tiger that is USL?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why should clubs be different than what schools do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY goes by 1/1. How about 8/1 like football or 4/1 like baseball. How about up to a 3 year difference like football based on weight and age. What about soccer and hockey with 1/1. Why go with the toothless tiger that is USL?

You do understand the difference between USL and USA Lacrosse right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because several lacrosse orgs have already weighed in and all say 9/1/2009? And this is lacrosse right? Who cares about soccer, hockey and football for this discussion.

Seems like you are desperate to keep holdbacks alive but using the “we can’t agree on a date” argument is lame.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's only lame to younger kids in the class or age group. It's proven time after time that age-based anything favors those born closest to the cutoff date. The only date that satisfies is the actual birth date. When you turn 13, you go into 13U and have aged out of 12U. Or is your kid a September birthday and you just can't stand you've lost the advantage.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’ve never seen a team try it in HoCO (play above grade kids with younger grades).

I’ve heard Madlax pulled some shenanigans a while ago but I don’t know the particulars or if it’s even true.[/quote

Posted earlier

I guess in all your years you didn't hear about how almost an entire Madlax team was playing in the class division below. The opposing team protested in the playoffs where the first 3 kids asked by the refs told them their actual grade. The Madlax coach and ML parents blew a gasket because they had been doing it all year and thought it was okay.[quote]

When haven't they been caught at some point year over year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a dense and tired debate. It's simple. The club programs use grade based because that's how colleges recruit. US lacrosse is an organization that focuses on development and growing the game, not recruiting. And if you didn't care about getting Jr. into that big D1 program you wouldn't be reading this thread incessantly. And remember Jr. will be playing against kids 4-5 years older when he gets to college, so quit whining about it and teach him to man up and play the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also heard something. I don't know if it's true, but I'm going to stir the pot and disparage the target of the thing I heard (or misheard) by posting it on here.

So have I, but in my example the player said they dropped down but hadn’t (yet?). The team isn’t even aware.

Totally plausible, my kids have never been asked for proof of grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks holdback dad. We know where you stand. How is johnny like playing against younger players instead of competing against his age group?

Sept 1 is the easiest and everyone knows it. Majority of country goes by it. Come on holdback apologist,,give us some more dates to act like you are confused.LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a dense and tired debate. It's simple. The club programs use grade based because that's how colleges recruit. US lacrosse is an organization that focuses on development and growing the game, not recruiting. And if you didn't care about getting Jr. into that big D1 program you wouldn't be reading this thread incessantly. And remember Jr. will be playing against kids 4-5 years older when he gets to college, so quit whining about it and teach him to man up and play the game.

Everyone man up except your little holdback who cant compete against his on age. LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why didn’t you tell your Jr to just man up?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Signed Madlax holdback Dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Until you get to college no one is checking with schools. Both do it. MadLax has even more private school kids I believe which often do a pre-1st grade.

The problem here is that if you’re actually in 7th but playing in 6th you are breaking the rules.

That’s beyond just being weak and holding back. That shouldn’t happen ever.

Exactly. That is a problem. And they should be embarrassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Until you get to college no one is checking with schools. Both do it. MadLax has even more private school kids I believe which often do a pre-1st grade.

The problem here is that if you’re actually in 7th but playing in 6th you are breaking the rules.

That’s beyond just being weak and holding back. That shouldn’t happen ever.

Guys. I've never seen this happen in 9 years of driving kids to club lacrosse. There's a rumor that express north did this last summer in the 26 division at NLF, but it's just that...a rumor. This is classic gaslighting gentlemen. Move on.

NOT a rumor, admitted by parents on this board a few days ago. The 2028 Express North team brought 2027 kids down to play in the 2028 division at NAL in November. Their excuse? “Yeah, but while they’re in 7th grade, there the same age as a lot of the kids playing in the 2028 division.” ABSURD

That’s terrible. Cheating!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everyone man up except your little holdback who cant compete against his on age. LOL

Yes! I think he’s missing the point lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Worst thing about holdbacks is the taint it gives lacrosse. All Sports have them to some extent, but lacrosse the amount is really over the the top, and with many top players holdbacks, the chatter wont end soon.

Common sense says youth should have never been about grade, get your advantage in HS and college.

Oh well, doubt it changes due to private schools increasing the amount of holdbacks every year. MIAA is so loaded with holdbacks now even compared to 10 years ago. And it sure isnt getting less soon.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Worst thing about holdbacks is the taint it gives lacrosse. All Sports have them to some extent, but lacrosse the amount is really over the the top, and with many top players holdbacks, the chatter wont end soon.

Common sense says youth should have never been about grade, get your advantage in HS and college.

Oh well, doubt it changes due to private schools increasing the amount of holdbacks every year. MIAA is so loaded with holdbacks now even compared to 10 years ago. And it sure isnt getting less soon.

It’s unfortunate to the level this is happening in lacrosse now. The parents are feeling the pressure even more now to do this, in order to give their kid the same opportunity to compete on a fair level and have a chance for their kid to play high level D1 college lacrosse. They will prob have to holdback and get that extra 1 or 2 years of extra development, like a big amount of the kids getting recruited did. It’s a clear advantage! Unfortunately, you will need lots of $s to do it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rumor has it Blue Claws are playing AAA. Anyone heard similar?

I guess that puts KP in elite?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sincerely,
Dad of a Defective.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He said taint.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rumor has it Blue Claws are playing AAA. Anyone heard similar?

I guess that puts KP in elite?

The KP players have at least been telling other kids in school that they are playing elite.

Not sure that I would trust a 6th grader's hot intel on any of this though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
EN absolutely did that at fall NAL and asked to do it at the US Club event in FL. They were told no prior to the event and went shopping for the usual Laxtitutes and picked up some kids from other clubs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All the more reason that ranking national teams and regional teams alongside actual real teams is pointless.

It’s of zero value.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
EN absolutely did that at fall NAL and asked to do it at the US Club event in FL. They were told no prior to the event and went shopping for the usual Laxtitutes and picked up some kids from other clubs.

Laxtitutes? Man, that’s a new one. Also— awful. Don’t say that garbage about kids man

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They should have recruited better, they got smoked in Orlando went 2-3 in their games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College coaches are lined up at every 2028 tourney scouting players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who is playing AAA and AA in HoCo?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The FCA stunad 12 year olds have entered the forum. Thanks to their overweight coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The FCA stunad 12 year olds have entered the forum. Thanks to their overweight coach.

What’s that mean?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What’s that mean?

I think I saw this guy recently, he is loud. Must be more to it than that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just shut up no more hold back talk this gets boring every now and then but almost every AAA team has 1 holdback who cares it dose not matter anymore come on and talk about lacrosse not holdback talks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any insight on the Nationals team fees? It looks like their try-out fee is $200. Do they charge per tournament or if you make the team is there a yearly fee. Seems like it would interfere with your regular club team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What’s that mean?

I think I saw this guy recently, he is loud. Must be more to it than that.

The guy is actually a super nice guy. Definitely loud, but not a bad guy at all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From an article I read you may find interesting.

Typically, some 17 percent of children old enough to start kindergarten are “redshirted.” The belief, on the part of parents, is that the child may lag behind in terms of social skills or may be “too young” in their estimation. The problem is, delaying school is rarely the right approach because the absolutely highest use of energy in the human brain occurs around the age of four (right before kindergarten). It is impossible to put the brain’s development on “hold” while you wait for the child’s body and social skills to catch up. You have six years to maximize early development and wasting one full year because a child is undersized is not a wise decision.

What people do not realize is, large-scale studies reveal children who are “young” actually make considerably more progress in reading and math than children who were “old” for their first year of school. Perhaps more startling is the evidence suggests that children who skip a grade, actually progress at an even higher rate than “young” starters! These students produce achievement results at a level twice as large as programs designed for “gifted” children.

Is it “wrong” to hold a child back then? No. But the point to recognize is any achievement of older children that is greater than younger children’s academic success occurs in the primary grades, but those differences disappear over time.

Here is what I know: no studies have ever shown its exact impact. While there may be numerous anecdotal success stories, my perspective on the practice is a three-fold viewpoint:

The numbers argue against the practice: Just 3.3 percent of high school seniors playing men’s basketball will have roster positions on NCAA teams as freshmen—with or without scholarships, according to NCAA data. For women, the figure is 3.7 percent. The odds are almost as slim in men’s soccer, football, and baseball. The chance of getting an athletic scholarship is even smaller, even for students whose parents can devote the hundreds of hours–and thousands of dollars–that high-level youth sports often require. Finally, only two percent of high school athletes win sports scholarships every year at NCAA colleges and universities.
If the trend continues, and more and more parents holdback their kids for athletic reasons, don’t you lose your advantage? After all, this trend only works if you are the outlier. Once everyone jumps on the trend, all the kids are back with their peer group except instead of being in ninth grade, they’re in the eighth grade again.
The impact on the brain. First, repeating a grade academically, for most children, is a form of social embarrassment. Even if the choice is made solely for athletic reasons, it is awkward to sit in a classroom with learners you know are a grade behind you, and can be especially humiliating if you then find them outperforming you academically. On the other hand, how rewarding would it be to outperform classmates knowing you have already been through the classes once before? Even if you were the “top performer” academically, none of the other competing students would attribute that to intellect. They would see it as unfair.
Most critically, the brain is a social organ. It grows best through its connection to other social organs (via friendship and playmates). In fact, one of the most powerful psychological needs of every human being is the need to belong. The need to love and be loved, to be part of a community, to be part of a peer group, drives everything we do and will become. To willingly cut your child off from a community he/she may have been part of for more than eight years, for the sole purpose of sports, is a risky choice. Everything a middle school child is, is wound into and bound by their peer group. Eviscerating that may produce serious negative effects and buried resentment. After all, it is typically the parent making the choice – not the child.

It is not “wrong” to consider holding a child back. There are definitely situations that warrant it (typically these are limited to kindergarten). What is “wrong” is to fail to look at all the factors involved in this gamble. Yes, it is a gamble. You are betting that your child’s chances of a scholarship outweigh the chances they will suffer from being cut-off from their “graduating class.” Quite frankly, it’s a gamble I would avoid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From an article I read you may find interesting.

Typically, some 17 percent of children old enough to start kindergarten are “redshirted.” The belief, on the part of parents, is that the child may lag behind in terms of social skills or may be “too young” in their estimation. The problem is, delaying school is rarely the right approach because the absolutely highest use of energy in the human brain occurs around the age of four (right before kindergarten). It is impossible to put the brain’s development on “hold” while you wait for the child’s body and social skills to catch up. You have six years to maximize early development and wasting one full year because a child is undersized is not a wise decision.

What people do not realize is, large-scale studies reveal children who are “young” actually make considerably more progress in reading and math than children who were “old” for their first year of school. Perhaps more startling is the evidence suggests that children who skip a grade, actually progress at an even higher rate than “young” starters! These students produce achievement results at a level twice as large as programs designed for “gifted” children.

Is it “wrong” to hold a child back then? No. But the point to recognize is any achievement of older children that is greater than younger children’s academic success occurs in the primary grades, but those differences disappear over time.

Here is what I know: no studies have ever shown its exact impact. While there may be numerous anecdotal success stories, my perspective on the practice is a three-fold viewpoint:

The numbers argue against the practice: Just 3.3 percent of high school seniors playing men’s basketball will have roster positions on NCAA teams as freshmen—with or without scholarships, according to NCAA data. For women, the figure is 3.7 percent. The odds are almost as slim in men’s soccer, football, and baseball. The chance of getting an athletic scholarship is even smaller, even for students whose parents can devote the hundreds of hours–and thousands of dollars–that high-level youth sports often require. Finally, only two percent of high school athletes win sports scholarships every year at NCAA colleges and universities.
If the trend continues, and more and more parents holdback their kids for athletic reasons, don’t you lose your advantage? After all, this trend only works if you are the outlier. Once everyone jumps on the trend, all the kids are back with their peer group except instead of being in ninth grade, they’re in the eighth grade again.
The impact on the brain. First, repeating a grade academically, for most children, is a form of social embarrassment. Even if the choice is made solely for athletic reasons, it is awkward to sit in a classroom with learners you know are a grade behind you, and can be especially humiliating if you then find them outperforming you academically. On the other hand, how rewarding would it be to outperform classmates knowing you have already been through the classes once before? Even if you were the “top performer” academically, none of the other competing students would attribute that to intellect. They would see it as unfair.
Most critically, the brain is a social organ. It grows best through its connection to other social organs (via friendship and playmates). In fact, one of the most powerful psychological needs of every human being is the need to belong. The need to love and be loved, to be part of a community, to be part of a peer group, drives everything we do and will become. To willingly cut your child off from a community he/she may have been part of for more than eight years, for the sole purpose of sports, is a risky choice. Everything a middle school child is, is wound into and bound by their peer group. Eviscerating that may produce serious negative effects and buried resentment. After all, it is typically the parent making the choice – not the child.

It is not “wrong” to consider holding a child back. There are definitely situations that warrant it (typically these are limited to kindergarten). What is “wrong” is to fail to look at all the factors involved in this gamble. Yes, it is a gamble. You are betting that your child’s chances of a scholarship outweigh the chances they will suffer from being cut-off from their “graduating class.” Quite frankly, it’s a gamble I would avoid.

I think this applies if you are assuming the child is not going to start kindergarten on age and is just sitting home? Many will be in a learning Pre-K program that are sometimes better than most kindergartens. They have moved past the coloring. I guess, That could be a problem as well ? Then they will be bored in Kindergarten and not as stimulated. Then maybe parents Will have to supplement with an after school program! It gets complicated. However, they will prob. Be bigger and stronger physically earlier than the others. This can be remedied by youth lacrosse rules being changed to age based. Then parents would not do this as much, and would go the traditional route.

Like Reply Quote
Page 81 of 251 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 250 251
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard