BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 55 of 116 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 115 116
Re: Girls High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What people are missing is that this kid tried out made her team AS A DEFENDER. No smart coach is ever going to switch a kid out of their normal position on their whim, to try something new. Try that experiment on another's team's time. Or work on it in the offseason and try out for your team at the new position. Rosters made with a plan in mind, so moving a player, particularly a top player like this girl apparently is, changes a lot. Not necessarily for the better.

She also plays defense for her high school team as well. She also doesn't take draws for her school either so not sure how she broke the draw control record. This hole article is contrived. Maybe a bit of self publicity arranged by the parents.

NEWS FLASH: You don't have to take draws to control them. I just watched Griffin's 2021 highlights and there were dozens of draw controls.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let’s have change of topic…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/comments?storyUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fsports%2F2022%2F01%2F11%2Fone-nations-best-young-lacrosse-players-confronts-lack-diversity-her-sport%2F

As a POC and former lacrosse player I have a lot of concerns about this article. I have been in the locker room and experienced similar conversations. But I feel like there is a lot of spin going on. Just not sure if it's coming from the mom or the writer of the article. Since when is having in-earnest conversations with teammates/friends racist? So many people are scared to talk and get to know eachother for fear of offending. Being friends/teammates means those conversations CAN happen. If it's a conversation, not being cornered. If the friend or teammate offends you and is overtly malicious with their comments/conversation, they aren't a friend. If its a bad time to have those conversations, Tell your teammate, "maybe some other time." The way this is scenario is portrayed for the point of the article seems questionable to me. That may or may not be the case. The teammate could also just be young and notIntelligent.

The rest of this story sounds like the same complaints EVERY lacrosse parent has:
"My kid is REALLY good. Why cant she play a different position?"
EVERY kid wants to play a different position. Especially defenders.

What people are missing is that this kid tried out made her team AS A DEFENDER. No smart coach is ever going to switch a kid out of their normal position on their whim, to try something new. Try that experiment on another's team's time. Or work on it in the offseason and try out for your team at the new position. Rosters made with a plan in mind, so moving a player, particularly a top player like this girl apparently is, changes a lot. Not necessarily for the better.
yeah, this whole article comes across as blaming race for her position played on the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She also plays defense for her high school team as well. She also doesn't take draws for her school either so not sure how she broke the draw control record. This hole article is contrived. Maybe a bit of self publicity arranged by the parents.

NEWS FLASH: You don't have to take draws to control them. I just watched Griffin's 2021 highlights and there were dozens of draw controls.

Maybe the other Midfielder's on the A team are simply just better? Hmmm

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe the other Midfielder's on the A team are simply just better? Hmmm

I know US Club Lax isn't the be all end all, but M&D 2024 Black is ranked #1...guessing they've got a pretty good midfield unit as is... Take race out of the article and this sounds like every other lax parent who thinks their DD/DS is God's Gift to the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are you talking about? You have the wrong player, team, and high school. The player in the article plays for Severn

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are you talking about? You have the wrong player, team, and high school. The player in the article plays for Severn

Everyone knows that - she also plays for M&D Red

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the Coach of the A team wanted her to play defense but she went to the B team to play mid. Then basically calls out the A coach as a racist for not allowing her to be a mid. Hopping this is the mom and not the player.
Well he is from Westminster

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't get this article? She played defense for the US team, so why is their argument that playing Defense for her Club team racist? When did playing defense become racist? When did getting a red card become racist? Am i missing something?
This was from the Washington Post so you know the article is configured to fit their narrative on race…even though race has nothing to do with this girls ability to play defense or midfield.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am referring to the person that said she plays for the #1 team in the country. Last I saw, Severn is not that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't get this article? She played defense for the US team, so why is their argument that playing Defense for her Club team racist? When did playing defense become racist? When did getting a red card become racist? Am i missing something?
This was from the Washington Post so you know the article is configured to fit their narrative on race…even though race has nothing to do with this girls ability to play defense or midfield.
Sounds like the parents pushed the narrative as the story reads. If she is succeeding as a midi (which i am sure she is great at), why did she play defense for US team? If they found it to be so offensive to be a defender, why didn't she push to play mid for them? The story just doesn't make sense IMO.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am referring to the person that said she plays for the #1 team in the country. Last I saw, Severn is not that team.
That was about the IL article that mentions at SPSG standout that hadn’t played yet

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m sure her fellow defenders are going to love playing with her now that they know she thinks she’s better than them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the Coach of the A team wanted her to play defense but she went to the B team to play mid. Then basically calls out the A coach as a racist for not allowing her to be a mid. Hopping this is the mom and not the player.

Not anymore

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is so confusing? She played on the #1 high school team in the country last year behind a highly talented senior class and is now getting an opportunity to shine (and, she did in this tournament). Good for her and all players like her who will get more opportunities this spring and beyond. I don't think it is unusual for younger players to step up when given the chance particularly on deep talented teams like NDP, SPSG and MCD.

It happens every year and I enjoy seeing the next one step up. The seniors graduate and the underclassmen get to their opportunity. Same thing happens at the college level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why did she leave Uproat and Integrity ? I’ll wait for answers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think we have talked about this enough. Sounds like there are a lot of instigators that want to keep this going. Let’s move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think we have talked about this enough. Sounds like there are a lot of instigators that want to keep this going. Let’s move on.
Theres no one instigating anything. The article doesn’t makes sense, plain & simple. Big guestion is, if she’s good enough to make the US team, WHY is she on red? She’ll be on black this fall, I’m sure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Theres no one instigating anything. The article doesn’t makes sense, plain & simple. Big guestion is, if she’s good enough to make the US team, WHY is she on red? She’ll be on black this fall, I’m sure.
Most the top talent doesn’t try out for the USA development program. Has no relation to actually playing on the USA team later. Brogden cup is like a 3rd rate tournament.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think 24 teams will stay the same. She loves her team She will likely finish on red to stay a midfielder

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’ll wait too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not disagreeing with you. All was said and some folks on here are prodding for more conversation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably because M&D was a better learning club where she could develop.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some in the lax community believe that AA players lack the skill to be attackers or midfielders, therefore, should be defenders. Getting a red card for saying something as common as “I got ball” is outrageous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is racism (overt or covert), discrimination based upon race (or other factors) and racial bias. The head coach of M&D Black 2024 has not displayed any of them in all of our interactions with him. No man is without sin but a racist is not something you should call him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most the top talent doesn’t try out for the USA development program. Has no relation to actually playing on the USA team later. Brogden cup is like a 3rd rate tournament.
You are fooling yourself if you think top talent is not trying out for the US team-of course the girls want to make the team!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]There is racism (overt or covert), discrimination based upon race (or other factors) and racial bias.

Same goes for all her previous coaches. Her former integrity coach is AA. All future coaches should be scared.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]There is racism (overt or covert), discrimination based upon race (or other factors) and racial bias.

Same goes for all her previous coaches. Her former integrity coach is AA. All future coaches should be scared.

What I find odd is, the number of lacrosse figures sharing this article and giving support. It’s a huge black eye to lacrosse if some of these things are true.

The “we could take over” statement at the end was what did it for me.

I don’t know how this doesn’t hurt her recruiting.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are fooling yourself if you think top talent is not trying out for the US team-of course the girls want to make the team!

Ok I just googled her. She has sooo much good PR coming her way.
Great job Mom and Dad!
Kinda reminds me of a few other high schoolers not from the east coast on the circuit right now…
Anyways- these tournaments she entered and made are not cheap! Money grab city! Her parent must make a lot of it.
The USNTDP is expensive to try out, and to make the team. Maybe it’s a little seasoning on my part but you do not need these tournaments to get noticed by coaches- sure it helps, but if your kid has the right stuff, just keep on swimming!
I am just imagining the number of POC of a righteous playing ability, that can’t and don’t enter these tourneys because of cost.

Something about me wishes I had never read the article because all I can think of now is how big that chip is and all of the players anxiously awaiting an opportunity to knock it off- especially the true happy defenders who “just aren’t that good enough” and are waiting at the back to the perfect opportunity to knock down, slide, deflect, charge, pick six, yellowcard, BRING IT ON.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What I find odd is, the number of lacrosse figures sharing this article and giving support. It’s a huge black eye to lacrosse if some of these things are true.

The “we could take over” statement at the end was what did it for me.

I don’t know how this doesn’t hurt her recruiting.

SO AGGRESSIVE. Who wants to play with such an out attitude.
“There’s another thing about this world”. Sometimes you have to bite your tongue and play with grace to get ahead.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some in the lax community believe that AA players lack the skill to be attackers or midfielders, therefore, should be defenders. Getting a red card for saying something as common as “I got ball” is outrageous.

You saw this happen ? Kids didn’t pass her the ball cause she couldn’t catch. Happens to lots of players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AGAIN, the article doesn't make sense! If her parents are the one pushing this narrative, I feel bad for her because is this really going to help her? Or hurt her? Obviously she's a good player so why was the article needed? She clearly isn't missing out on any opportunities, so what was the purpose/objective of this article?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I think we have talked about this enough. Sounds like there are a lot of instigators that want to keep this going. Let’s move on.

Great job Mom and Dad!
Kinda reminds me of a few other high schoolers not from the east coast on the circuit right now…
Anyways- these tournaments she entered and made are not cheap! Money grab city! Her parent must make a lot of it.
The USNTDP is expensive to try out, and to make the team. Maybe it’s a little seasoning on my part but you do not need these tournaments to get noticed by coaches- sure it helps, but if your kid has the right stuff, just keep on swimming!
I am just imagining the number of POC of a righteous playing ability, that can’t and don’t enter these tourneys because of cost.

Not hard now a days to find out just about every thing about everybody. Lives in a 1.3mill home. The struggle is real!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You saw this happen ? Kids didn’t pass her the ball cause she couldn’t catch. Happens to lots of players.

The girl dd not start playing until she was in 7th grade. By that age most of her peers have been playing for 8-9 years. So that alone puts her at a disadvantage if she wanted to play mid or attack. So yes she naturally has lower skills and IQ than her peers that have been playing since they were 4 and 5. Add to that she is from PG County which like most counties and states is not a lacrosse hotbed. Her parents probably didn't play lacrosse, so again she did not get exposed to it early. Race had nothing to do with those factors. If you watch her play (Her hudl is probably blowing up) she is fast and can play d but has average skills as a middie. Add to that, she is playing against B level teams. Not hating but this was very strategic by her parents right before recruiting season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The girl dd not start playing until she was in 7th grade. By that age most of her peers have been playing for 8-9 years. So that alone puts her at a disadvantage if she wanted to play mid or attack. So yes she naturally has lower skills and IQ than her peers that have been playing since they were 4 and 5. Add to that she is from PG County which like most counties and states is not a lacrosse hotbed. Her parents probably didn't play lacrosse, so again she did not get exposed to it early. Race had nothing to do with those factors. If you watch her play (Her hudl is probably blowing up) she is fast and can play d but has average skills as a middie. Add to that, she is playing against B level teams. Not hating but this was very strategic by her parents right before recruiting season.

I think certainly getting the attention they were seeking, for sure. Plenty of girls in the same boat. Started playing the game later, other girls havevbetter IQ/Skills. Let’s move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think certainly getting the attention they were seeking, for sure. Plenty of girls in the same boat. Started playing the game later, other girls havevbetter IQ/Skills. Let’s move on.

YES!! Please.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AGAIN, the article doesn't make sense! If her parents are the one pushing this narrative, I feel bad for her because is this really going to help her? Or hurt her? Obviously she's a good player so why was the article needed? She clearly isn't missing out on any opportunities, so what was the purpose/objective of this article?

It is the parents and US Lacrosse pushing the agenda.

The mom (who may or may not have any lacrosse experience) is presenting on "diversity in lacrosse" at the US Lax Con.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The mom (who may or may not have any lacrosse experience) is presenting on "diversity in lacrosse" at the US Lax Con.
sounds like a very self serving person and not really interested in "diversity" just wants to get her kid recruited

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 15 year old would have respectfully let me know that this is not something she would have wanted to be a part of and for that reason I do not feel bad. Teenagers have their own thoughts and opinions and unless the family dynamic resembles a dictatorship, those thoughts and opinions are shared and considered.

Also, when the article was first published the young lady was quoted at the end saying like “we can take over”. That is an extremely unsettling quote with an uncomfortable tone. I looked again today and that quote has been changed to say something along the lines of being a “trailblazer”.

I do not feel bad as this is the narrative that the entire family has chosen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

sounds like a very self serving person and not really interested in "diversity" just wants to get her kid recruited

Wow, pot meet kettle! Check your virtue signaling at the door. Lacrosse is one of, if not the most blatant, of all college sports to provide systematic back door affirmative action for rich suburban wasps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I think we have talked about this enough. Sounds like there are a lot of instigators that want to keep this going. Let’s move on.

Great job Mom and Dad!

Not hard now a days to find out just about every thing about everybody. Lives in a 1.3mill home. The struggle is real!

…and what does the value of their home have to do with the subject? Sounds like they worked hard to afford it…like so many of us. Also sounds like envy and jealousy. Let’s move on from the subject. This is a circular conversation with rehash after rehash.

Like Reply Quote
Page 55 of 116 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 115 116
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard