Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 10:23 PM
Girls 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 10:12 PM
Boys 2028-6th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 09:49 PM
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 09:47 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 09:31 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,146
Posts340,506
Members2,460
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 44 of 59 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 58 59
Re: Team 91 MD
Anonymous #358656 11/29/21 11:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
McD required McCabe to stay back due to his age. He entered public school system a year early so now he’s actually on age. He was the youngest in his class at McD before reclassifying. BTW he is one of the top 5 students academically at McD.

He may be one of the youngest at McD, but only if the rest are also holdbacks. SP would not allow him to re-class because he was doing well in school and athletically. McD was happy to allow it, might even have encouraged it, but it's not because he was too young. March 2004 birthday. He started public school on age, but even then he was too good to attend the public school for which we was zoned - they bussed him outside of his school zone.

Most boys at McD born after March are holdbacks, and that is in the 75-90 % range. They only have 45-70 boys per grade. Generally from the two grades my sons are involved with. I would say over 50% are holdbacks.

MM was against holdbacks the first few years his kid played. Talked trash about holdbacks. Then he quickly got on with the program as it is written in the MIAA, hold im back or suffer.
Of course a school charging $40K is going to love having kids spend an extra year under their roof. Not surprised that they encourage it.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #358660 11/30/21 08:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
McD required McCabe to stay back due to his age. He entered public school system a year early so now he’s actually on age. He was the youngest in his class at McD before reclassifying. BTW he is one of the top 5 students academically at McD.

He may be one of the youngest at McD, but only if the rest are also holdbacks. SP would not allow him to re-class because he was doing well in school and athletically. McD was happy to allow it, might even have encouraged it, but it's not because he was too young. March 2004 birthday. He started public school on age, but even then he was too good to attend the public school for which we was zoned - they bussed him outside of his school zone.

Most boys at McD born after March are holdbacks, and that is in the 75-90 % range. They only have 45-70 boys per grade. Generally from the two grades my sons are involved with. I would say over 50% are holdbacks.

MM was against holdbacks the first few years his kid played. Talked trash about holdbacks. Then he quickly got on with the program as it is written in the MIAA, hold im back or suffer.
Of course a school charging $40K is going to love having kids spend an extra year under their roof. Not surprised that they encourage it.

Please, All the private schools promote Character Education of Students and Staff , they are on the side of justice for all.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358682 11/30/21 10:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one repeats 8th grade because education is important. Either they flunked because nobody at home placed any value on education or sports is their #1 priority and education is secondary. Of course they'll claim the fact that they pay an extra $40K proves they "value" education.

Show me you're a stunad without telling me you are a stunad.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358688 11/30/21 11:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one repeats 8th grade because education is important. Either they flunked because nobody at home placed any value on education or sports is their #1 priority and education is secondary. Of course they'll claim the fact that they pay an extra $40K proves they "value" education.

Spoken like an apologist to the holdback world, who wants to justify his reasoning ,..He is right when it comes to the majority of boys who want to play lacrosse. they hold them back for sports. There are a lot of students who are held back for education, most dont have anything to do with lacrosse.

And the bottom line is,,,do what you want with your child, but that gives you no right to play down against other children in youth sports. I bet you think that is ok too? LOL

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358709 11/30/21 01:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spoken like an apologist to the holdback world, who wants to justify his reasoning ,..He is right when it comes to the majority of boys who want to play lacrosse. they hold them back for sports. There are a lot of students who are held back for education, most dont have anything to do with lacrosse.

And the bottom line is,,,do what you want with your child, but that gives you no right to play down against other children in youth sports. I bet you think that is ok too? LOL
I don't have a dog in this fight, but rules are technically not being broken when the spring youth leagues and tournaments are based on grade year. In my opinion, US Lax should just settle on the full birth year, not a 9/1 cut off.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
TLaxOne #358719 11/30/21 01:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lax should just settle on the full birth year, not a 9/1 cut off.[quote][/quote]

What does that mean? The full birth year? Are you saying 1/1? It's been discussed a million times and the January - March parents love it and the October, November, December parents detest it. The only date which will satisfy the age argument is the actual birth date where a kid moves up the day of their birthday. The kid is the youngest and progresses to the oldest. Then the January parents detest it because little Tommy goes from probably the biggest and fastest to probably on the slower and smaller side. It's never ending.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358721 11/30/21 02:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lax should just settle on the full birth year, not a 9/1 cut off.

What does that mean? The full birth year? Are you saying 1/1? It's been discussed a million times and the January - March parents love it and the October, November, December parents detest it. The only date which will satisfy the age argument is the actual birth date where a kid moves up the day of their birthday. The kid is the youngest and progresses to the oldest. Then the January parents detest it because little Tommy goes from probably the biggest and fastest to probably on the slower and smaller side. It's never ending.

Travel/Club soccer is by birth year. So, if you were born in 2009, you play on a 2009 team.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358722 11/30/21 02:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sure the Jan kids have and advantage. But that advantage is limited to a 1-year age difference. Instead of the (2 year+) difference we are currently seeing in club lacrosse when it is split by grade.

Like Reply Quote
TLaxOne #358771 11/30/21 09:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay on the 1 year difference but I want it to be June 1. Why should your arbitrary day on a calendar be better than mine?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358785 12/01/21 06:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay on the 1 year difference but I want it to be June 1. Why should your arbitrary day on a calendar be better than mine?

The argument is for birth year. That’s not arbitrary. It’s the calendar year…literally the start of a new year. This is how every other sport aside from lacrosse handles it.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #358786 12/01/21 07:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You got in playground fights a lot when you were little didn’t you?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358788 12/01/21 08:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The argument is for birth year. That’s not arbitrary. It’s the calendar year…literally the start of a new year. This is how every other sport aside from lacrosse handles it.

Not true. "The Age Determination Date for a Little League Baseball player is the actual age of a child on August 31 of the current year. " The January 1st start date of the calendar year is the ultimate example of arbitrary. What is the argument against using the actual birth date of the player? The kid has a birthday - they move up to the next age level. The only minor argument is the practice schedule might change. Tough, practices change all the time.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358800 12/01/21 10:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

USA football uses 8/1 and I think basketball does to. There goes the birth year argument.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358819 12/01/21 11:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

USA football uses 8/1 and I think basketball does to. There goes the birth year argument.
Soccer uses 1/1 - 12/31, as all of society does.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #358824 12/01/21 11:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Soccer uses 1/1 - 12/31, as all of society does.

USA Soccer is based on the European model of soccer development. You also are usually required to not play any other sport in their top clubs and academy teams. USA soccer is over the top in their quest to compete against the European countries with 10 times less people.

Going by a 9/1 Birthday or maybe 8/1 is close to the start of majority of schools in this country and keeps all kids in their proper age grade. Common sense says that is best solution.

Like Reply Quote
Page 44 of 59 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 58 59
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard