BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 60 of 251 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 250 251
Re: Boys 2028 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the true issue with teams having holdbacks? Is it that the opposing teams are unable to compete? Are people concerned their child loses time in the spotlight?

If your child is good, playing against/with holdbacks seems to facilitate the younger players development at a faster rate.
If your kid cannot compete with the holdbacks, he won’t compete in high school. Maybe when he’s a senior, otherwise he is riding the Pine.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The oldest kid on Hawks is 11/09 birthday. I highly highly doubt that. Give me a break.
The Hawks team is probably, on average, 2 inches taller than the Madlax team. Maybe it’s all that Wawa, or maybe it’s age. Madlax has some holdbacks for sure, but not a bunch. They’re small and scrappy, with one big bruiser who is clearly a holdback. The Hawks goalie hits his head on the crossbar. NL has two six footers at FO and goalie. So what.

Small scrappy and completely ok with an abusive coach, shady use of much older and out of town players. Stay on the high horse Madlax parents, whatever keeps you going.

Holder and out of town players? Every one of our kids is from the immediate Bethesda McLean and DC pocket. There’s one kid that comes from Richmond area. That is it. Team has not changed one iota in three years with the exception of a new kid from Fairfax Virginia.Unlike the Hawks who pull from about 100 mile radius. But whatever, we smoked you last time out and that’s all we have to go on at this point. Untill next time Amigo!

“We” - I guess the 13yr old is posting now. Happy thanksgiving little man.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The oldest kid on Hawks is 11/09 birthday. I highly highly doubt that. Give me a break.
The Hawks team is probably, on average, 2 inches taller than the Madlax team. Maybe it’s all that Wawa, or maybe it’s age. Madlax has some holdbacks for sure, but not a bunch. They’re small and scrappy, with one big bruiser who is clearly a holdback. The Hawks goalie hits his head on the crossbar. NL has two six footers at FO and goalie. So what.

Small scrappy and completely ok with an abusive coach, shady use of much older and out of town players. Stay on the high horse Madlax parents, whatever keeps you going.

Holder and out of town players? Every one of our kids is from the immediate Bethesda McLean and DC pocket. There’s one kid that comes from Richmond area. That is it. Team has not changed one iota in three years with the exception of a new kid from Fairfax Virginia.Unlike the Hawks who pull from about 100 mile radius. But whatever, we smoked you last time out and that’s all we have to go on at this point. Untill next time Amigo!

He might be bigger than you, Amigo

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Man. I’ve really missed this thread. Y’all are seriously not normal humans. So glad I moved my kid down to his actual graduation class. 🤣

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Man. I’ve really missed this thread. Y’all are seriously not normal humans. So glad I moved my kid down to his actual graduation class. 🤣

Thanks hold back daddy we missed you !

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm an Express North parent...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YES!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the true issue with teams having holdbacks? Is it that the opposing teams are unable to compete? Are people concerned their child loses time in the spotlight?

If your child is good, playing against/with holdbacks seems to facilitate the younger players development at a faster rate.
If your kid cannot compete with the holdbacks, he won’t compete in high school. Maybe when he’s a senior, otherwise he is riding the Pine.

Uhhh… my kid already competes with older kids because he’s on age! Your kid can’t so you held him back. So who won’t be able to compete in HS? What are you going to do when he’s on the 3rd team as a junior? Hold him back again?

Your logic is the worst.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks hold back daddy we missed you !

You know you’ll miss us!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sixes was a lot of fun. Very little defense and lots of scoring. Well run for the first year and the 28s had a great turnout. A big positive was the kids just got to play, no club uniforms, mostly mixed rosters. Also limited coaching, no set offense and it looked at times like a neighborhood pickup game. With 4 fast games and getting home to catch most of the nfl games, what’s not to like? This format is a joke for the Olympics but for 6th graders and younger, it is a breath of fresh air.

Agreed, total joke for the Olympics. No place for defensive players because when you have teams that are just attack and middies the defenders can really contribute. They will get better by being there, but if you’re trying to win you wouldn’t pick many. My son is a middie had fun etc, but he scored more goals in a day than he did last season (I didn’t count but that’s probably true). The goals mean almost nothing, it’s like the nba on grass.

Field and Box are both better formats IMO.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think the whole point is that "actual graduation class" and "actual age" can be pretty different things.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Uhhh… my kid already competes with older kids because he’s on age! Your kid can’t so you held him back. So who won’t be able to compete in HS? What are you going to do when he’s on the 3rd team as a junior? Hold him back again?

Your logic is the worst.

Agreed this posters logic is way off!

In HS it’s understood that your child plays vs different ages and grades and ages. Grade based / aged based play especially at the youth level is totally different. Better luck next time!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your kid literally could not compete with kids his own age!
Try again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well he’s older than me too so there’s that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Try again.

LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Try again.

Correct

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your logic is the worst.

Didn’t assume a Hawks dad could calculate through the logic, so here it goes:

Your wunderkind who is playing on-age, and getting run over by the holdbacks (otherwise you wouldn’t be complaining), will never sniff the turf in HS until he’s a Senior, when he’s playing kids ranging from only one year older to 2 years younger. His first 3 years he’s playing against these God-forsaken holdbacks that are 4, 3, 2 years older than your little Johnny. Best of luck with that. But keep complaining, maybe you’ll find lots of sympathy from the other dads whose kids are on age (guess what— mine is not only on-age, but a very young on-age kid, not because I’m some virtuoso against the holdback thing, I just planned poorly, I suppose).

Get over the holdback thing— it’s not changing, it’s the way it is. If your kid is on age and playing competitively in Elite 2028, congratulations, he has beaten the odds and might see the field by his Junior year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your logic is the worst.

In HS it’s understood that your child plays vs different ages and grades and ages. Grade based / aged based play especially at the youth level is totally different. Better luck next time!

Your logic is the worst.

Your wunderkind who is playing on-age, and getting run over by the holdbacks (otherwise you wouldn’t be complaining), will never sniff the turf in HS until he’s a Senior, when he’s playing kids ranging from only one year older to 2 years younger. His first 3 years he’s playing against these God-forsaken holdbacks that are 4, 3, 2 years older than your little Johnny. Best of luck with that. But keep complaining, maybe you’ll find lots of sympathy from the other dads whose kids are on age (guess what— mine is not only on-age, but a very young on-age kid, not because I’m some virtuoso against the holdback thing, I just planned poorly, I suppose).

Get over the holdback thing— it’s not changing, it’s the way it is. If your kid is on age and playing competitively in Elite 2028, congratulations, he has beaten the odds and might see the field by his Junior year.

Or when the on age kid catches up on the maturity scale they will actually be in a better position to succeed given they have had to play vs older kids their entire life. Meanwhile, holdback boy won’t be the bigger kid anymore and struggle.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

Or when the on age kid catches up on the maturity scale they will actually be in a better position to succeed given they have had to play vs older kids their entire life. Meanwhile, holdback boy won’t be the bigger kid anymore and struggle.

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

So the big kid who is held back will struggle because he’s been playing against inferior competition all his life? That is your logic? Good luck with that pal. I hope you’re right because my kid is not only on age, but young. Nothing I can do about it at this point, he loves the kid + his team and I’m not holding him back. He just has to work a little harder.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn’t somebody start a new forum for the holdback conversation? It is so tired.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax down to #3 in the latest US Club Lax rankings. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enough about the Madlax double holdback. He may be a teenager playing against 11 year olds, but he’s still a kid.
I’m sure his parents didn’t set out to hold him back two classes and are doing their best.
The Obnoxious Madlax Dad (OMD) who constantly pops off, on the other hand, deserves scorn. He says a lot of fact-free, insecure garbage.
But have some empathy for OMD (and his kid too). A happy, well-adjusted parent wouldn’t post the twisted word vomit that OMD constantly spews.
I’ll admit the petty insults on here can be entertaining. But this thread has lost its way. Let's all try to be more like Bored Dad and less OMD.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Happy Thanksgiving Cabel!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

So the big kid who is held back will struggle because he’s been playing against inferior competition all his life? That is your logic? Good luck with that pal. I hope you’re right because my kid is not only on age, but young. Nothing I can do about it at this point, he loves the kid + his team and I’m not holding him back. He just has to work a little harder.

Honestly (not trolling) I think the general assessment from the last 5 years of MIAA kids is that double-holdback kids tend to peak at about age 17, which is ideal for recruiting obviously, but then settle into obscurity at their top-10 college roster where everyone else is as good as they are, or better. This is still a pretty fabulous outcome for a young man (scholarships, part of an elite lax unit at college, probably getting a great education and network) but no, in fact, the 24 year olds don't *usually* shine so bright in college.

Has COVID aging (thinking of the 26 year old at UNC) upended that? Maybe. With more and more blue chip athletes going to "free" community college or prep school before using their 1st year of D1 eligibility these days, maybe this pattern gets disrupted and the older kids do come out on top again. But not yet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cabel is the REAL Turkey in the lacrosse world

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

Your logic is the worst.

Never said anything about any one kid. It was a general reference, fact of the matter is holdbacks have a huge advantage earlier in sports. When the younger kids mature that spread narrows.
As for me, my child was born in early 2010, plays for a team well within the top 7 of the bored Maryland lax dads top 7. (Btw can’t tell if he is a total psycho or a genius, I’m leaning towards genius. Anyway, playing vs 2009 hasn’t bothered me one bit, actually I enjoy it, only makes my guy try harder. With that being said, any club or parent who has a 2008 no matter the month in the 2028 division is really weak.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ML dad. Changing the subject because the hold back talk needs to be on another thread. I said after summer NAL and then NLF that Express North was legit and got laughed at. That team is very good. While we were short handed at Fall NAL (not sure it would have mattered tho) they are, IMO, the best 2028 team. Big, well coached and athletic. It's an entirely different team from summer. Excited to play them in FL in Jan.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your logic is the worst.

Honestly (not trolling) I think the general assessment from the last 5 years of MIAA kids is that double-holdback kids tend to peak at about age 17, which is ideal for recruiting obviously, but then settle into obscurity at their top-10 college roster where everyone else is as good as they are, or better. This is still a pretty fabulous outcome for a young man (scholarships, part of an elite lax unit at college, probably getting a great education and network) but no, in fact, the 24 year olds don't *usually* shine so bright in college.

Has COVID aging (thinking of the 26 year old at UNC) upended that? Maybe. With more and more blue chip athletes going to "free" community college or prep school before using their 1st year of D1 eligibility these days, maybe this pattern gets disrupted and the older kids do come out on top again. But not yet.

There are more and more... First holdback , then PG , then College Red Shirt, then finally a Freshman ... It is starting to work.. Look at UNC and Look at UMD Lefty from BL,what is he 30 now? I know , he is only 25. College sports has lost its way in many ways.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Were the Apex Youth games worth it this summer? Seemed like a lot of money for a weekend?

Any feedback from parents whose kids went?

Briefly, we know 3 kids who went. They had a great time, event was well run. Good skills tuneup and great competition. My son has been "invited" both times and what I struggle with is that 1) he plays good competition all year round, 2) he can get a good skills tuneup for a $40-50 small group session at any number of "clinics" in AA, HOCO, Harford Counties (or from FCL @ $100/hour ish) and 3) he's not leaving his current school until 9th grade so the idea of "getting seen" is kind of a joke.

Also, it's the last weekend of July which probably means tryouts for all but the top 5-6 clubs. How that will affect attendance, I don't know. Maybe it's designed to reduce local DMV attendance.

FCL flagship events are run really well and are about $200/day compared to $350/day for Apex. On the one hand I'm leaning against it on the value side, on the other hand we may do it just so I know if it's worth doing or avoiding in the future.

Other opinions welcome......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ML dad. Changing the subject because the hold back talk needs to be on another thread. I said after summer NAL and then NLF that Express North was legit and got laughed at. That team is very good. While we were short handed at Fall NAL (not sure it would have mattered tho) they are, IMO, the best 2028 team. Big, well coached and athletic. It's an entirely different team from summer. Excited to play them in FL in Jan.

Hawks will roll that team, also Express North is FULL of holdbacks. First clue— BIG and a athletic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hawks will roll that team, also Express North is FULL of holdbacks. First clue— BIG and a athletic.

Hawks dad here - this is not a Hawks dad who posted above. I’m sure Express North will be tough given their scores. Hope our boys play them and it’s a good game. Everyone have a safe winter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hawks dad here - this is not a Hawks dad who posted above. I’m sure Express North will be tough given their scores. Hope our boys play them and it’s a good game. Everyone have a safe winter.

Stop acting Hawkward and get with the rest of Hawks parents. Hawks Roll !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't care if they are holdbacks. That's how the system works. Gotta deal with it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop acting Hawkward and get with the rest of Hawks parents. Hawks Roll !

Yeah, we don’t say, “Hawks Roll” or any other nonsense. Have a nice day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not a ML parent, but the fact that you posted here on Thanksgiving day tells me that Cabel is living rent-free deep, deep in your head.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not a ML parent, but the fact that you posted here on Thanksgiving day tells me that Cabel is living rent-free deep, deep in your head.

Yes you are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes you are.

I'm not, but you can choose to believe it or not. Either way, it doesn't chance the fact that someone logged on to check an anonymous 6th grade lax forum on Thanksgiving, which is pathetic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express North is just as old if not older than Madlax. Not that it matters at all. I know, I know within the rules.

But there is this fairy tail that up north teams don’t have holdbacks which used to be true for sure. But not anymore.

Nonetheless, they are a great team and deserving of all their recent praise.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes you are.

I'm not, but you can choose to believe it or not. Either way, it doesn't chance the fact that someone logged on to check an anonymous 6th grade lax forum on Thanksgiving, which is pathetic.

Yet here you are…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the rule re: age for club lacrosse?

Is it simply what grade you are in regardless of age?

From this forum it seems like madlax has a 13 year old 6th grader while I know a number of 12 year old 7th graders. Is the 13 year old “eligible” while the 12 year old is not? I can’t think of a sport that does it purely by grad year - it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Like Reply Quote
Page 60 of 251 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 250 251
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard