BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 52 of 116 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 115 116
Re: Girls High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Club lax was built on parent and HS coaches doing the coaching. The college coaches usually are doing it for a few dollars and are not invested. This was such an ignorant comment.

What in the world are you talking about? I don’t know of one college coach who is also a head coach of a club team. Only see college players as assistant coaches during the summer. A HS coach should never be involved as a head coach/recruiting director/owner for any club team. Huge conflict of interest. Any reputable coach would cut ties with either the club or high school and not continue to be involved with both. There are several examples where coaches have done the right thing but unfortunately too many examples where they haven’t. The high school players who are not affiliated with the coach’s club are the ones who pay the price.

Yes!!! I see this happening in the IAAM now! The conference shouldn’t allow this to occur. A coach shouldn’t be able to use their influence in the IAAM/MIAA/varsity lacrosse roster and private school admissions to benefit financially in their club. Parents will have their kids play for a particular club for the sole purpose of gaining admission and a varsity roster spot at a certain high school.

No need to look any further then SPSG to see the hypocrisy.

What hypocrisy are you referring to? Did the coach, school, or the club ever say or do anything that is counter to IAAM policy? If so, I am not aware of it.

If you just don't like the coach having club kids on her HS team, then complain about that, but don't call it hypocrisy.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club lax was built on parent and HS coaches doing the coaching. The college coaches usually are doing it for a few dollars and are not invested. This was such an ignorant comment.

What in the world are you talking about? I don’t know of one college coach who is also a head coach of a club team. Only see college players as assistant coaches during the summer. A HS coach should never be involved as a head coach/recruiting director/owner for any club team. Huge conflict of interest. Any reputable coach would cut ties with either the club or high school and not continue to be involved with both. There are several examples where coaches have done the right thing but unfortunately too many examples where they haven’t. The high school players who are not affiliated with the coach’s club are the ones who pay the price.

Yes!!! I see this happening in the IAAM now! The conference shouldn’t allow this to occur. A coach shouldn’t be able to use their influence in the IAAM/MIAA/varsity lacrosse roster and private school admissions to benefit financially in their club. Parents will have their kids play for a particular club for the sole purpose of gaining admission and a varsity roster spot at a certain high school.

Hypocrisy? Share your facts on the hypocrisy of MG coaching the 2026 M&D team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris Robinson (M&D) recruited from his club for years at McD. And, McD, SPSG and NDP (top 10 teams in the nation) are full of talented players who don’t get much playing time or only make varsity their senior year but still get recruited to play in college . The IAAM is also full of other schools where the competition is less and playing opportunities more. Families need to make that decision themselves and consider the consequences.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let’s not forget back in the day many kids went free to McD for girls lacrosse hence muliple Championships. Isn’t that the reason CR decided it was time to go. Money was taken away by new Head master?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris Robinson (M&D) recruited from his club for years at McD. And, McD, SPSG and NDP (top 10 teams in the nation) are full of talented players who don’t get much playing time or only make varsity their senior year but still get recruited to play in college . The IAAM is also full of other schools where the competition is less and playing opportunities more. Families need to make that decision themselves and consider the consequences.
🙌🏻

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess it’s a coincidence that MG dropped back to the 26s in what just happened to be next years incoming freshman?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess it’s a coincidence that MG dropped back to the 26s in what just happened to be next years incoming freshman?

Of course not. Seems smart to me. Still wondering what the hypocrisy is. Doesn't it make sense for a HS coach to get a view of the best 8th graders?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hypocrisy could be the wrong term. MG would have to claim to have moral standards or beliefs to which her behavior doesn’t conform.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The bigger question is why do you care so much what she does? She is a great (GREAT!) coach. She is liked and respected by her players, the other students at her school, and her peers. She coached the No 1 HS girls lacrosse team in the country last year. How does which grade level club team she coaches matter?

She could volunteer to teach five year olds for free and some people on this platform would find fault. Get a life.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
[quote=Anonymous]

The bigger question is why do you care so much what she does? She is a great (GREAT!) coach. She is liked and respected by her players, the other students at her school, and her peers. She coached the No 1 HS girls lacrosse team in the country last year. How does which grade level club team she coaches matter?

She could volunteer to teach five year olds for free and some people on this platform would find fault. Get a life.

The issue becomes when girls feel like there is an overt or implicit requirement to play for a certain club program in order to have a fair chance to make their HS team. That is where the conflict of interest arises.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]I guess it’s a coincidence that MG dropped back to the 26s in what just happened to be next years incoming freshman?[/quote]

She could volunteer to teach five year olds for free and some people on this platform would find fault. Get a life.[/quote]

The issue becomes when girls feel like there is an overt or implicit requirement to play for a certain club program in order to have a fair chance to make their HS team. That is where the conflict of interest arises.[/quote]

I don't disagree that there may be some level of expectation that an athlete play for a particular club team. I don't think it is a problem in the independent/private schools. Families and students have a choice as to where they go to school and for which club team they play. Go to a particular school? Expect to feel pressure to play for the club team that school's head coach is connected with.

It is a bigger problem in the public schools, where a student has no choice as to which HS she/he attends (or a very narrow choice).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also works in reverse. Marginal players getting plenty of time in club games in perpetration for HS bc the school they will attend has coach affiliated with club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As my daughter approaches HS, this is what I am keeping in mind. There are some very talented players who are in the grade above hers at her position (goalie) on multiple schools on our list. Ive been told to cross off a school because player X is a freshman. We've decided to not chose the HS based on the depth chart. If she rides the bench behind a stud for 3 years, so be it. Thankfully she has club to get her recruited and plenty of film. Also, you never know what will happen, kids transfer in and out all the time.

I also believe playing along side talented players can make you a better player in long run.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I cant imagine why there aren't more non parent, qualified people lining up to coach HS lacrosse. Dealing with parents like the ones on this board, seems too good to be true.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is a bigger problem in the public schools, where a student has no choice as to which HS she/he attends (or a very narrow choice).[/quote]

Coaches want players to be at their schools to help them win. Not sure they care what club they come from. If a coach only gets players from a local average club I can see that coach looking to get them trained better.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
It is a bigger problem in the public schools, where a student has no choice as to which HS she/he attends (or a very narrow choice).

Coaches want players to be at their schools to help them win. Not sure they care what club they come from. If a coach only gets players from a local average club I can see that coach looking to get them trained better.[/quote]

You'd hope that was the case. In our instance, the player went to a better club with better coaching and was punished for leaving the HS coach's club. Not the first time it happened, either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by cltlax

Coaches want players to be at their schools to help them win. Not sure they care what club they come from. If a coach only gets players from a local average club I can see that coach looking to get them trained better.

You'd hope that was the case. In our instance, the player went to a better club with better coaching and was punished for leaving the HS coach's club. Not the first time it happened, either.[/quote]

Our IAAM coach will give varsity roster spots to younger players from her club over tenured and talented players who are not from her club. She gives significant playing time to these players as well. If you don’t play for her club you have a significant road block to varsity playing time. It’s very obvious and openly discussed within her club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You'd hope that was the case. In our instance, the player went to a better club with better coaching and was punished for leaving the HS coach's club. Not the first time it happened, either.

Our IAAM coach will give varsity roster spots to younger players from her club over tenured and talented players who are not from her club. She gives significant playing time to these players as well. If you don’t play for her club you have a significant road block to varsity playing time. It’s very obvious and openly discussed within her club.[/quote]

The only female IAAM coach that coaches club is MG and if you are talking about her you are completely wrong. If your daughter isn't playing for SPSG it's because she isn't good enough.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Our IAAM coach will give varsity roster spots to younger players from her club over tenured and talented players who are not from her club. She gives significant playing time to these players as well. If you don’t play for her club you have a significant road block to varsity playing time. It’s very obvious and openly discussed within her club.

The only female IAAM coach that coaches club is MG and if you are talking about her you are completely wrong. If your daughter isn't playing for SPSG it's because she isn't good enough.[/quote]

Incorrect. There is an IAAM school whose head coach is heavily intertwined with Integrity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only female IAAM coach that coaches club is MG and if you are talking about her you are completely wrong. If your daughter isn't playing for SPSG it's because she isn't good enough.[/quote]

I think they are talking about Spalding.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only female IAAM coach that coaches club is MG and if you are talking about her you are completely wrong. If your daughter isn't playing for SPSG it's because she isn't good enough.

I think they are talking about Spalding.[/quote]

Couldn't be Spalding, the JV didn't have any kids that could have played Varsity. As for your "tenured" child, she knows who's better than her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I haven’t noticed MG giving undeserved playtime to the girls that pay her for training but all of them make varsity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think this is looking for facts that fit a narrative and not the other way around . MG has plenty of girls on jv that also train with her. She is a very good coach and great with fundamentals. That’s why she has a lot of girls wanting to train with her with both jv and varsity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SPSG is the new McDonogh. Everyone is going to detest on MG just like they hated on CR when he was at the top. It’s just the way it is. She can handle it. Keep hating. Happy Thanksgiving.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SPSG is the new McDonogh. Everyone is going to detest on MG just like they hated on CR when he was at the top. It’s just the way it is. She can handle it. Keep hating. Happy Thanksgiving.

I love MG but she has a loooooonggggg way to go to be close to what CR did. Not sure why the detest for SPSG after one year. McD is probably the favorite this season anyway. McD, SPSG and GCS should probably be the top 3. Maybe Maryvale close as well. SPSG lost most of their starters from last year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love MG but she has a loooooonggggg way to go to be close to what CR did. Not sure why the detest for SPSG after one year. McD is probably the favorite this season anyway. McD, SPSG and GCS should probably be the top 3. Maybe Maryvale close as well. SPSG lost most of their starters from last year.

I agree with the top three, but I think GCS may be the team to beat this year. I believe they have over 20 D1 commits on the roster.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with the top three, but I think GCS may be the team to beat this year. I believe they have over 20 D1 commits on the roster.

Wishful thinking. The best thing about GCS is now at Maryvale. Unless GCS hires a game changing coach, the program has seen it's best days behind them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't think anyone can repeat or beat what CR did at McD. It was a dynasty. They invested lots of money into having a dominant team. Things have changed there since. Kind of like the Gilman football program when it was giving kids from out of state a full ride to get them to play football. The Head finally put a stop to that practice, and the coach left. Seems like the same clampdown may be happening at McD.

While a top recruit may get a bit of merit aid as an incentive at most schools, McD has been giving significantly more in merit aid to athletes, often to families with the ability to pay full price.

Parents play schools against each other - "we got $n from such and such, what can you do for us?" has become the norm.

At some point, schools need to ask themselves - what is their mission? Is it having winning athletic teams? Is it education?

Some schools have a clear mission, and would rather offer aid to qualified students who lack the means to pay rather than throw money at an athlete from a wealthy family just to win games.

Others not so much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wishful thinking. The best thing about GCS is now at Maryvale. Unless GCS hires a game changing coach, the program has seen it's best days behind them.
the coach they have is very good and will get more out of the girls than BR could. GCS wins it all this year but will be back in the B division within 3 years

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They did bring in another coach. GCS is the team to beat this year, only lost 1 starter from last years team. And they will be in the B conference in less than 3 years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MY daughter is in middle school and just starting to get some interest from some of the private HS in the area.

Not from the area, are there any HS teams on the incline or decline? Any issues non Lax related that make a certain school more or less appealing?

I would assume SPSG NDP McDonough appear to always be the cream of the crop?

Do you find some schools more than other help with financials, a few are really out of our wheel house from that respect.

Is it better to be the big fish in small pond? Do you even take depth charts into account or is that silly?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John Webster to be an asst Coach at Bryn Mawr. That is a good hire By Bryn Mawr and Molly. He will help them a great deal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MY daughter is in middle school and just starting to get some interest from some of the private HS in the area.

Not from the area, are there any HS teams on the incline or decline? Any issues non Lax related that make a certain school more or less appealing?

Do you find some schools more than other help with financials, a few are really out of our wheel house from that respect.

Is it better to be the big fish in small pond? Do you even take depth charts into account or is that silly?

If you want the odds to be more in your favor, (given that you're not from the area and haven't had 5+ years of local club "experience" and politicking) look at the rosters and speak with the coaches. It is cutthroat. My personal belief is that it really is better to be the big fish in a small pond, unless you just want to be ON a team or win a championship. Have your daughter play for a bottom half team, help them have a record year or break through, and you'll get more good film against the top teams you mentioned.

If you're a college coach, would you rather see:

A) the girl who is second sting for a VERY good team, playing against little sisters of the poor in mop-up duty?
or
B) a girl who is a starter on a good team in the best league in America, who is competing THE BEST on a regular basis?

I used to coach for a local D3 college. I can tell you directly - If I'm looking for a kid to recruit, I'm not taking my chances on a kid who is a non-starter, or who might rely on her teammates at (#1 ranked school) to have already beaten down the moral of an inferior team. I'm looking for the kid who plays significant time for a good team, but keeps chugging away and doing good things in the face of great competition.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really doesn’t matter what high school you go to, it’s all about club ball. That’s where the college coaches will see you play. Look to the academics of the private schools. How do they stack up against the others or the local public high school. Base your selection off that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really doesn’t matter what high school you go to, it’s all about club ball. That’s where the college coaches will see you play. Look to the academics of the private schools. How do they stack up against the others or the local public high school. Base your selection off that.
Good luck getting on a top club team late. They will have 21 of 25 girls returning and another 20 at tryouts. So usually < 4 spots available...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is true, there are D1 commited players on some private school teams that have not started a varsity game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the goal is playing in college, high school ball is irrelevant. Outside of the state final weekend, not sure I can ever remember a non-local college coach at a game.

Focus on the best educational fit for your daughter and development. If she is good enough to start on varsity as a freshman as a bottom tier IAAM team, it will develop her more than sitting on the bench or playing JV at a top program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck getting on a top club team late. They will have 21 of 25 girls returning and another 20 at tryouts. So usually < 4 spots available...

I'm guessing his daughter is already on a club team if she's getting interest from private HS coaches already.

There's no right answer. McD and NDP have been the only constants over the last 10 years. SPSG changed when MG got there and she was able to bring in so many good 2021s. Talk to the coaches and see how you like them. Have your daughter shadow and see which she likes best.

In terms of money, for the most part it's all need based unless your daughter can get a named scholarship. NDP/Maryvale give less but they cost less to begin with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Recruiting question. Should I pay for a recruiting service? I would think they would take my money and give me only good reports regardless of if it’s true. Any good ones out there ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All the big privates are now north of 30k. If you want to ask for assistance be ready to roll out your financials.
The Catholic schools are not as expensive, but it’s still a car-payment every month.

Like Reply Quote
Page 52 of 116 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 115 116
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard