Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 11:31 AM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 10:24 AM
Girls 2024-10th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 09:56 AM
Girls 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 08:47 AM
Girls 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 06/26/22 08:26 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,147
Posts340,421
Members2,460
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 41 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 40 41
Re: holdbacks
Anonymous #356872 11/16/21 10:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Lol exactly. The curriculum at many of these private schools are NOT more academically challenging that your standard public AP classes.

Got it, so the very highest public school curriculum is the same as the average at a private school.

Good to know.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

TM@BOTC #356873 11/16/21 10:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah like private school is gonna give your kid a better chance when applying for a job! The employer just knows you babied him!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #356880 11/16/21 10:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are holding back just to play lacrosse, you are a fool. Academics is another story. If going from a public school to a private school, you will need the extra year to catch up unless you are a very high achiever in the classroom. Look at all the rockstars from the class of 2018 and 2019, most of them are no longer. The holdback arbitrage is complete. Stopped growing, stopped caring, girlfriends, realizing that there is very little lacrosse life after college, etc. I say play up, if you can compete you will probably play in college. I know about the getting hurt issue, size matters, and if you are within the middle of the bell curve, I would let my son play. He also played football and which is more dangerous playing up in lacrosse or on grade in football?

My kids both attend MIAA schools and........you can blame it on covid if you want but..........the kids coming in from (AACO and BCoPS) public school this year are a disaster, behavior wise and academically. 2019 did not seem as bad and Fall 2020 was impossible to track. They will get better as they understand what the expectations are (at least the expectations for the non-standouts, let's be realistic that there are 2+ sets of rules). We have seen one girl and one boy already leave school, both going back to public school. Both were athletes with "expectations."

I don't want to go on record defending holdbacks, but the average lax kid cannot seamlessly bounce from Annapolis MS to St. Mary's, from MoCo PS to Georgetown Prep, or from Balt City / County schools to Gilman, LB etc. Those kids need (and deserve) a fair amount of support to make the transition. That could mean picking a school with a lot of academic support for athletes (BL, McD), providing your kid a ton of extra resources in 9th grade, or............sigh............holding them back.

There's a reason why the prep school alumni generally say that college was easier than HS........it's because HS is made as difficult as possible.

Get over yourself. Find me one person who can say that BL is more challenging than a Baltimore Co public school AP curriculum. I’ll wait. Lol.
j

^^^^ How to say "I already lost this argument" without saying "I already lost this argument." Who said anything - at all about "AP curriculum" least of all in the BOTC holdbacks Forum. How many County students are fully enrolled (>50% course load) in the "AP Curriculum" every semester? 5%? 7%?

Wonder why you didn't decide to go after Loyola's AP course load instead of BL's.

Hit me with those "Eastern Tech AP > Loyola AP" facts! (we all know Carver is a reservoir of disappointment, even compared to Eastern)

The point being made was that the MIAA schools have resources to support average and below average students in a way that BCPS is not going to , in school trailers with 36 kids per class and kids fighting in the hallways every day.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #356899 11/16/21 11:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are holding back just to play lacrosse, you are a fool. Academics is another story. If going from a public school to a private school, you will need the extra year to catch up unless you are a very high achiever in the classroom. Look at all the rockstars from the class of 2018 and 2019, most of them are no longer. The holdback arbitrage is complete. Stopped growing, stopped caring, girlfriends, realizing that there is very little lacrosse life after college, etc. I say play up, if you can compete you will probably play in college. I know about the getting hurt issue, size matters, and if you are within the middle of the bell curve, I would let my son play. He also played football and which is more dangerous playing up in lacrosse or on grade in football?

My kids both attend MIAA schools and........you can blame it on covid if you want but..........the kids coming in from (AACO and BCoPS) public school this year are a disaster, behavior wise and academically. 2019 did not seem as bad and Fall 2020 was impossible to track. They will get better as they understand what the expectations are (at least the expectations for the non-standouts, let's be realistic that there are 2+ sets of rules). We have seen one girl and one boy already leave school, both going back to public school. Both were athletes with "expectations."

I don't want to go on record defending holdbacks, but the average lax kid cannot seamlessly bounce from Annapolis MS to St. Mary's, from MoCo PS to Georgetown Prep, or from Balt City / County schools to Gilman, LB etc. Those kids need (and deserve) a fair amount of support to make the transition. That could mean picking a school with a lot of academic support for athletes (BL, McD), providing your kid a ton of extra resources in 9th grade, or............sigh............holding them back.

There's a reason why the prep school alumni generally say that college was easier than HS........it's because HS is made as difficult as possible.

Get over yourself. Find me one person who can say that BL is more challenging than a Baltimore Co public school AP curriculum. I’ll wait. Lol.
j

^^^^ How to say "I already lost this argument" without saying "I already lost this argument." Who said anything - at all about "AP curriculum" least of all in the BOTC holdbacks Forum. How many County students are fully enrolled (>50% course load) in the "AP Curriculum" every semester? 5%? 7%?

Wonder why you didn't decide to go after Loyola's AP course load instead of BL's.

Hit me with those "Eastern Tech AP > Loyola AP" facts! (we all know Carver is a reservoir of disappointment, even compared to Eastern)

The point being made was that the MIAA schools have resources to support average and below average students in a way that BCPS is not going to , in school trailers with 36 kids per class and kids fighting in the hallways every day.

As the parent of a high school senior who transitioned from public middle school to private high school this is very true. First year grades reflect it too. Had a uCum GPA end of freshmen year of 3.03 and ended junior year w a uCum of 3.77. Freshman year was a huge transition and has taken 3 years to adjust the GPA as well. Lesson learned. Best decision we ever made though!

Like Reply Quote
TM@BOTC #356917 11/16/21 12:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going through this now.
Kid was an honors straight A public kid through elementary and middle school.
Now at a Private Catholic high school. He worked his tail off and still missed second honors by .01%.
Definitely the best decision he’s ever made.
Finally challenged academically and athletically.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #356927 11/16/21 12:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lol exactly. The curriculum at many of these private schools are NOT more academically challenging that your standard public AP classes.

100% accurate. The basic curriculum at most of these private schools is on par with the AP curriculum at public schools.

What about the AP curriculum at the private schools?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #356928 11/16/21 12:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going through this now.
Now at a Private Catholic high school. He worked his tail off and still missed second honors by .01%.

My son had *never* had a B. School prep just had not been an issue. Were led by public school admins to believe he was uniquely smart etc etc

Q1 MIAA freshman: 3 Bs.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #356935 11/16/21 01:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going through this now.

My son had *never* had a B. School prep just had not been an issue. Were led by public school admins to believe he was uniquely smart etc etc

Q1 MIAA freshman: 3 Bs.

Most MIAA schools with the exception of CHC follow a harder grading scale
92-100 A
85-91 B
78-84 C

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #356939 11/16/21 01:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

100% accurate. The basic curriculum at most of these private schools is on par with the AP curriculum at public schools.

AP classes in public school are the equivalent of regular classes in private schools.
The Honors and AP courses at private school are far beyond anything offered at public schools. And it's not even close.
My kid also NEVER got a B in public school. Our fridge was covered in those notIntelligent honors magnets.
Now at a local private MIAA school, he's working harder than ever and is a B student.
Colleges know this.
And I see it with our company's own recruiters. They know that private school students = deeper, critical thinkers.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #356943 11/16/21 01:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

AP classes in public school are the equivalent of regular classes in private schools.
The Honors and AP courses at private school are far beyond anything offered at public schools. And it's not even close.
My kid also NEVER got a B in public school. Our fridge was covered in those notIntelligent honors magnets.
Now at a local private MIAA school, he's working harder than ever and is a B student.
Colleges know this.
And I see it with our company's own recruiters. They know that private school students = deeper, critical thinkers.

^^^^^Facts^^^^^

The curriculum is more rigorous at schools that have to sell parents (and students) on why they should spend $30k a year.

College counselor workloads are different as well. Public school college counselors have hundreds of students in their caseload. Private school counselors have far less, which means more attention, deeper relationships with college admissions folks, etc.

YGWYPF.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
TM@BOTC #357324 11/18/21 08:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If it makes you feel better for your 30k a year, tell yourself YGWYPF. As far as being a better critical thinker bc you go to private school?! Hard to be a good critical thinker in a homogenous pool of similar minded people.
And for the record, the AP curriculum is the same at every school. It’s to prepare for the AP exam, which is the same regardless of public or private school. Get your facts straight. And finally, before you go bashing Eastern Tech or Carver, look at where their graduates go to college. Sorry if it hurts when you go to write that tuition check.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357334 11/18/21 10:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If it makes you feel better for your 30k a year, tell yourself YGWYPF. As far as being a better critical thinker bc you go to private school?! Hard to be a good critical thinker in a homogenous pool of similar minded people.
And for the record, the AP curriculum is the same at every school. It’s to prepare for the AP exam, which is the same regardless of public or private school. Get your facts straight. And finally, before you go bashing Eastern Tech or Carver, look at where their graduates go to college. Sorry if it hurts when you go to write that tuition check.

You’re correct my kid has never had to critically think his way out of an active shooter situation.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357343 11/19/21 04:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

AP is AP - this is for any school that offers courses. This curriculum is created by the colloge board, not the private schools: https://aphighered.collegeboard.org/about-ap/course-exam-development. The real test of an AP course is the actual AP pass rate.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357348 11/19/21 08:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

AP is AP - this is for any school that offers courses. This curriculum is created by the colloge board, not the private schools: https://aphighered.collegeboard.org/about-ap/course-exam-development. The real test of an AP course is the actual AP pass rate.

Close. 1) pass rate. 2) rate of students who even took the exam. In the case of public schools vs private schools both these #s are very school by school, making a generalization is childish. Loyola/St Marys/GP/Gilman/St Pauls and plain old Centennial HS are closer than many here would like. That's because - shocker - the number one driver of educational attainment is the parents' educational attainment.

But don't pretend you're getting the same education or AP exposure at some public HS in Harford County that you would at Severn School or Gilman. C'mon now.

Like Reply Quote
TM@BOTC #357350 11/19/21 09:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Critical Thinking is based on using real data to form opinions. Average SAT and ACT Scores from Niche.com

Eastern Technical High School

George Carver

Gilman

McDonogh

St. Pauls

Boy's Latin

Loyola Blakefield

Calvert Hall

Like Reply Quote
Page 19 of 41 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 40 41
Quick Reply

Options