Watch TDSports Live Stream Today: Comsewogue vs ESM Girls' Lacrosse at 2:00pm & St Anthony's vs Sacred Heart at 6:00pm! Go-to Forums-BOTC Main Forum-HS Games Live Stream | TDSports. Enjoy!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 07:02 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 07:00 PM
Boys 2028-6th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 06:02 PM
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 05:06 PM
Boys 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 05:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,071
Posts334,726
Members2,434
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 595 of 632 1 2 593 594 595 596 597 631 632
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #356666 11/15/21 10:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.

Sounds like a great idea. Get him a tutor to raise the GPA and ACT, it’s a much greater advantage.

No, it isn't. A recruited athlete with the above stats (good enough grades and 95+ percentile SAT/ACT) will have better odds of getting in to any Ivy than a valedictorian double legacy with a 1600 SAT.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

If your son did play at an Ivy, you of all people should know that he was an exception and is not really representative of most of his teammates (and other Ivy recruits/prospects). Heck, a school like Harvard (usually highest AI) probably has more players with 1600s than any who score in the 1200s.

The "cutoff" for most going through the Ivy process is higher than 1250, and the vast majority of your competition will score better than that. The Ivy (and NESCAC) lacrosse recruiting world is pretty darn small -- you run across the same kids and families from the usual schools (NE prep schools, Baltimore and Philly privates, Long Island and CT publics/CHSAA, etc), so it's easy for both parents and kids to get a general idea of what you're they're against.

Why enter NESCAC into the discussion?

Because except for the absolute top recruits who choose Ivy over ACC, players looking at Harvard and Dartmouth and Brown are also considering Williams and Amherst. It's the same group of players.

smart kids = smart schools

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #356674 11/15/21 10:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.

Sounds like a great idea. Get him a tutor to raise the GPA and ACT, it’s a much greater advantage.

No, it isn't. A recruited athlete with the above stats (good enough grades and 95+ percentile SAT/ACT) will have better odds of getting in to any Ivy than a valedictorian double legacy with a 1600 SAT.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

If your son did play at an Ivy, you of all people should know that he was an exception and is not really representative of most of his teammates (and other Ivy recruits/prospects). Heck, a school like Harvard (usually highest AI) probably has more players with 1600s than any who score in the 1200s.

The "cutoff" for most going through the Ivy process is higher than 1250, and the vast majority of your competition will score better than that. The Ivy (and NESCAC) lacrosse recruiting world is pretty darn small -- you run across the same kids and families from the usual schools (NE prep schools, Baltimore and Philly privates, Long Island and CT publics/CHSAA, etc), so it's easy for both parents and kids to get a general idea of what you're they're against.

Why enter NESCAC into the discussion?

Because except for the absolute top recruits who choose Ivy over ACC, players looking at Harvard and Dartmouth and Brown are also considering Williams and Amherst. It's the same group of players.

Not accurate at all.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #356960 11/16/21 03:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know whose playing the Igloo HS Big 16 this weekend?

Like Reply Quote
B_O_T_C #357437 11/19/21 08:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for top notch attack instruction. Real top shelf instruction. Not a high school or college kid. Any suggestions?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357448 11/19/21 11:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for top notch attack instruction. Real top shelf instruction. Not a high school or college kid. Any suggestions?

Can’t vouch for it but see them on Instagram. 2 wolves performance. Look like they know their stuff.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #357449 11/19/21 11:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is that the one at cantiague on Sunday? Cold spring harbor, south side, farm, manhasset that I know of.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357462 11/20/21 08:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where do you live? How old is your son?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357471 11/20/21 10:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Live in Suffolk. My son is a varsity starter on a very good team. Needs work on his dodging. Only looking for elite level instruction.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357472 11/20/21 10:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can’t vouch for it but see them on Instagram. 2 wolves performance. Look like they know their stuff.

Thank you.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357474 11/20/21 11:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Live in Suffolk. My son is a varsity starter on a very good team. Needs work on his dodging. Only looking for elite level instruction.

Not sure if they do it but I would approach SBU asst , and see if they will do it. I would pay to have them evaluate his game , determine what “type” of player he is and what “style” of play suits his athletic abilities and what style suits his physical as well as mentality / IQ.

There are many types of great attackman , Bernhardt , Sowers, O’Keefe, Ament, Thompson etc… they are all different.

One of the worst things an athlete can do is try to be something he is not. It’s ok to strengthen your weaknesses but the best players find a style of play that takes advantage of their strengths.

IMHO

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #357517 11/20/21 09:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure if they do it but I would approach SBU asst , and see if they will do it. I would pay to have them evaluate his game , determine what “type” of player he is and what “style” of play suits his athletic abilities and what style suits his physical as well as mentality / IQ.

There are many types of great attackman , Bernhardt , Sowers, O’Keefe, Ament, Thompson etc… they are all different.

One of the worst things an athlete can do is try to be something he is not. It’s ok to strengthen your weaknesses but the best players find a style of play that takes advantage of their strengths.

IMHO

Interesting analogy, and some good advice. Thank you. I’m going to try it. However I’d say that Thompson, Sowrs and Ament are all very close as far as what they do and how they do it, on the field. O’keefe is obviously a shooter, I’ll give you that one. Haven’t seen Bernhardt play. How do you think sowers and Ament are different? Look exactly the same to me.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357577 11/21/21 01:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

IMHO

Interesting analogy, and some good advice. Thank you. I’m going to try it. However I’d say that Thompson, Sowrs and Ament are all very close as far as what they do and how they do it, on the field. O’keefe is obviously a shooter, I’ll give you that one. Haven’t seen Bernhardt play. How do you think sowers and Ament are different? Look exactly the same to me.

Thompson is not anything like Sowers or Ament. Different type of athletes, different style of play. Sowers and Ament are similar. Bernhardt is a different animal all together. Different type of athlete different style of play.

Having your son sit with a high level coach and watch his film can help a lot. Also, identify a high level attackman with similar athletic traits to your son and have your son study his film as well. Understanding defensive schemes goes a long way also, knowing how the defense will slide, rotate, recover etc… will allow him to make quicker and better decisions both with and without the ball more consistently. Improving his off ball game is very important as well. Obviously you can never spend too much time on stick skills and shooting.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357706 11/22/21 09:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thoughts on this weekends Igloo run Big 16. We didn't get the invite even though we knocked off several the the Big 16. Coach said he's not part of the network. Does this give those teams playing a clear advantage over others? Are they even allowed to play and be coached out of season?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357719 11/22/21 10:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thoughts on this weekends Igloo run Big 16. We didn't get the invite even though we knocked off several the the Big 16. Coach said he's not part of the network. Does this give those teams playing a clear advantage over others? Are they even allowed to play and be coached out of season?

It was anything special. I feel like the scout list was bogus. A lot of teams missing kids. He probably invited who he wanted to invite. No special formula to it. It was an igloo thing so that’s all you need to know right? Some kids showed up, others didn’t. fill in dads coached.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #357734 11/22/21 11:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where are the bases out of?

Like Reply Quote
Page 595 of 632 1 2 593 594 595 596 597 631 632
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard