BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 223 of 264 1 2 221 222 223 224 225 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah just got to St. Ants or Chaminade. Walk on and be a star. [ChillLaxin]-Hum

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yeah just got to St. Ants or Chaminade. Walk on and be a star. [ChillLaxin]-Hum

Why do you even post?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If looking at Suffolk, I would go with a top academic school over lacrosse. Smithtown, Cold Spring Harbor, Northport, Harborfields, Half Hollow Hills, Islip, Connetquote, Sayville, Mt Sinai, and many others are good choices. Pick the school based on academics, and use Lax as a tie breaker. I picked a school based off of academics, and I'm very happy with how both my kids ended up in college. My son is playing in college and my daughter didn't play lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hills should be more relevant this season with the combined East/West lacrosse team.

Curious as to why they are combining schools?

Demographics are changing, and Lacrosse and football rosters are way down. West had 3 8th graders starting last year. I'm sure COVID had something to do with it, but Hills went from having 2 or 3 teams in the youth program to 1.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If looking at Suffolk, I would go with a top academic school over lacrosse. Smithtown, Cold Spring Harbor, Northport, Harborfields, Half Hollow Hills, Islip, Connetquote, Sayville, Mt Sinai, and many others are good choices. Pick the school based on academics, and use Lax as a tie breaker. I picked a school based off of academics, and I'm very happy with how both my kids ended up in college. My son is playing in college and my daughter didn't play lax.

I would think most of the better lacrosse schools have strong academics as well.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All hail Suffolk! Kings of Lacrosse.

This is new. I was unaware.

I guess we will have to expand our home search to include Mt. Sinai, SWR, The Tri-Villages and Centerport to be amongst the lax elite. (Sorry WI and Smithtown runner up will not do for my brood).

Where’s he getting Mt Sinai from?? Must be from Manhasset. Lol. If you were from Suffolk, you would know that MS has always been an average team at best, prior to JS. Will be there in short order once JS heads upstate. Prob sooner actually. They lost a ton of top players to graduation. Doubt JS will be enough this year.

Your right, other than JS they only have a defenseman going to
Hopkins, an LSM going to cuse, a fomid going to cuse in the younger JS, one of the best 24 lefty attackmen in the class. A pretty darn good but undersized attackman that plays for the warriors, a middie going to providence… but other than JS, the cupboard is bare. Lol

All good LI teams have a minimum of three D1 commits, and real good ones have far more than that. Fact is they lost a ton to graduation, and have a lot of holes to fill with subpar players. Wouldn’t count them out, with JS, but definitely a big step down from last year. Once JS graduates, they are right back to mediocrity. Bank on it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

My son has two offers on the table, but still cant decide what to do. Both schools were in his top 5 but not sure if he should commit. Does he play out the fall and spring season and see what happens or commit to one of the two offers he has?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

My son has two offers on the table, but still cant decide what to do. Both schools were in his top 5 but not sure if he should commit. Does he play out the fall and spring season and see what happens or commit to one of the two offers he has?

Seriously asking that here

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

It comes down to what he is interested in studying, and then which school is better for that subject. Don't go to school for lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

It comes down to what he is interested in studying, and then which school is better for that subject. Don't go to school for lacrosse.

Honestly, you will not find an answer here. Only your son can decide. my 2 older kids knew the right choice when they visited their school. My Son knew the moment he met with the coach and did a tour of the school it was for him. My daughter had a similar experience. If there are doubts then maybe its not the right fit. Only he can decide and only he will know.. Use the broken leg test, if he was unable to play would he still want to attend the school.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

Roll the dice. Never known living until you let those beautiful dice give you the answer. Only way to live. No regrets!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

Roll the dice. Never known living until you let those beautiful dice give you the answer. Only way to live. No regrets!

Glad to see someone else can't get enough of those pearly little cubes. Dice fa life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crazy to wait....those days are gone especially with the Covid backlog. 23's are sitting pretty. Pick one before they move on to someone else. This is a business to colleges. Don't think it's anything different. Best of luck. Sounds like your son is in a good spot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Losers hit bids. If neither are the school he really wants and he has confidence in his abilities and grades put him squarely in the mix than why settle. Kids are young and usually have more confidence and want to attain their goals, its the parents that sell their own kid short and tell him to hit the bid so he can throw a sticker on his car. Perhaps $ is a consideration and he needs to take that offer, if so makes sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

Glad to see someone else can't get enough of those pearly little cubes. Dice fa life.

The dice guy seems to have the most compelling argument.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honest question here.

The process is really strange in my humble opinion. 2 offers of schools in his top 5 sounds pretty good. If he likes the coaches and likes schools it seems like you are in a good spot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Offers are not open ended (unless you are a phenom). If he doesn't accept an offer within a reasonable period of time, they will start moving down their list, and he may not have a spot anymore. Schools want kids that want them, and his silence speaks volumes.
Honest question here.

The process is really strange in my humble opinion. 2 offers of schools in his top 5 sounds pretty good. If he likes the coaches and likes schools it seems like you are in a good spot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question along the same line. My son has been to showcases etc. some prospect days. Emailing with some coaches. He’s gotten a couple emails from multiple schools saying essentially “we think you can play and hope it’s at our school”. So is that basically them saying let’s get down to details? Apply now, talk to admissions etc? These are D3 schools. If my son would consider them what’s the next step? Thanks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question along the same line. My son has been to showcases etc. some prospect days. Emailing with some coaches. He’s gotten a couple emails from multiple schools saying essentially “we think you can play and hope it’s at our school”. So is that basically them saying let’s get down to details? Apply now, talk to admissions etc? These are D3 schools. If my son would consider them what’s the next step? Thanks

Is your son a 22’ or a 23’? If he’s a 23 it’s still VERY early for D3 coaches to be recruiting him. No need to rush the process, keep in contact with them, and ask them what their timeline looks like.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they seriously want your son they will ask for his transcript and/or SAT/ACT( if he took them), for a pre-read. They have admissions look at it to see if he can make it into the school. If it's close and he needs help, the coach will ask them to push it through. If they haven't asked for his transcript there may be other boys ahead of him. Don't be afraid to ask and be direct, otherwise they will string your son along, which happens more often than not if he's not one of the top players. good luck. The process isn't the greatest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is your son a 22’ or a 23’? If he’s a 23 it’s still VERY early for D3 coaches to be recruiting him. No need to rush the process, keep in contact with them, and ask them what their timeline looks like.

Email back and ask to set up a phone call. Ask to set up a visit and ask the coach straight out if there is a spot for him on the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He’s a 2023. Just wasn’t sure what this meant or how to respond. Right after this we started getting emails from admissions and other basic school emails. I figured it was early still. I appreciate the feedback.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Life

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
coin

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.

Sounds like a great idea. Get him a tutor to raise the GPA and ACT, it’s a much greater advantage.

No, it isn't. A recruited athlete with the above stats (good enough grades and 95+ percentile SAT/ACT) will have better odds of getting in to any Ivy than a valedictorian double legacy with a 1600 SAT.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

If your son did play at an Ivy, you of all people should know that he was an exception and is not really representative of most of his teammates (and other Ivy recruits/prospects). Heck, a school like Harvard (usually highest AI) probably has more players with 1600s than any who score in the 1200s.

The "cutoff" for most going through the Ivy process is higher than 1250, and the vast majority of your competition will score better than that. The Ivy (and NESCAC) lacrosse recruiting world is pretty darn small -- you run across the same kids and families from the usual schools (NE prep schools, Baltimore and Philly privates, Long Island and CT publics/CHSAA, etc), so it's easy for both parents and kids to get a general idea of what you're they're against.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.

Sounds like a great idea. Get him a tutor to raise the GPA and ACT, it’s a much greater advantage.

No, it isn't. A recruited athlete with the above stats (good enough grades and 95+ percentile SAT/ACT) will have better odds of getting in to any Ivy than a valedictorian double legacy with a 1600 SAT.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

If your son did play at an Ivy, you of all people should know that he was an exception and is not really representative of most of his teammates (and other Ivy recruits/prospects). Heck, a school like Harvard (usually highest AI) probably has more players with 1600s than any who score in the 1200s.

The "cutoff" for most going through the Ivy process is higher than 1250, and the vast majority of your competition will score better than that. The Ivy (and NESCAC) lacrosse recruiting world is pretty darn small -- you run across the same kids and families from the usual schools (NE prep schools, Baltimore and Philly privates, Long Island and CT publics/CHSAA, etc), so it's easy for both parents and kids to get a general idea of what you're they're against.

Why enter NESCAC into the discussion?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are we really still discussing this? It’s very simple, high end athletes with good (not great) academic credentials can gain acceptance into an Ivy as a recruited athlete. To say otherwise is foolish. Ivy coaches recruit both great athletes and great students sometimes they can be the same person but most of the time they are not. The majority of the recruits with grades that are higher than the average student at a particular school know that they will most likely never see the field. These are student athletes who are being recruited in order to bring the average AI up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NESCAC's require 1400 SAT much easier to get in than scoring 1600 SAT.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because except for the absolute top recruits who choose Ivy over ACC, players looking at Harvard and Dartmouth and Brown are also considering Williams and Amherst. It's the same group of players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because except for the absolute top recruits who choose Ivy over ACC, players looking at Harvard and Dartmouth and Brown are also considering Williams and Amherst. It's the same group of players.

No. Very few Legit DI recruits consider Williams or Amherst. Maybe very average Lacrosse players with exceptional grades and test scores who get a look from some Ivy’s because of their academic credentials will consider a NESCAC but the vast majority will not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

smart kids = smart schools

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not accurate at all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know whose playing the Igloo HS Big 16 this weekend?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for top notch attack instruction. Real top shelf instruction. Not a high school or college kid. Any suggestions?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for top notch attack instruction. Real top shelf instruction. Not a high school or college kid. Any suggestions?

Can’t vouch for it but see them on Instagram. 2 wolves performance. Look like they know their stuff.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know whose playing the Igloo HS Big 16 this weekend?

Is that the one at cantiague on Sunday? Cold spring harbor, south side, farm, manhasset that I know of.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where do you live? How old is your son?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Live in Suffolk. My son is a varsity starter on a very good team. Needs work on his dodging. Only looking for elite level instruction.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can’t vouch for it but see them on Instagram. 2 wolves performance. Look like they know their stuff.

Thank you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Live in Suffolk. My son is a varsity starter on a very good team. Needs work on his dodging. Only looking for elite level instruction.

Not sure if they do it but I would approach SBU asst , and see if they will do it. I would pay to have them evaluate his game , determine what “type” of player he is and what “style” of play suits his athletic abilities and what style suits his physical as well as mentality / IQ.

There are many types of great attackman , Bernhardt , Sowers, O’Keefe, Ament, Thompson etc… they are all different.

One of the worst things an athlete can do is try to be something he is not. It’s ok to strengthen your weaknesses but the best players find a style of play that takes advantage of their strengths.

IMHO

Like Reply Quote
Page 223 of 264 1 2 221 222 223 224 225 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard