BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 221 of 264 1 2 219 220 221 222 223 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….

Thought the standard was considerably higher. Can anyone else confirm that? That pretty much sums up my kid. My family income is 200k with no one else in college. Already had a kid go through college, and I never qualified for a dime of financial aid. There was no recruiting involved and the schools we looked at certainly were no where near ivy, but thought all financial aid award/criteria was pretty much the same. Apparently ivys are different?

You are correct. The standards are higher and aid for Ivys is need based. Most aid from other schools is Merit Based Scholarships so grades will matter.

The stronger the school is academically the less (if any at all) merit based aid will be available.

Ivy admissions for recruited athletes can be for some much different than the requirements for regular students. The requirements can and do vary significantly for recruited athletes within the same recruiting class. The average AI (or whatever they are using now) for the class must be close to the average AI for the entire student body. To simplify, if they were only looking at SAT at Princeton is 1450 than the team average must be close to that (they used to say team average had to be within one standard deviation of the campus average).

The studs can get in with much lower grades than the regular students. Some recruits will need to have grades similar to the average and some recruits will need to have grades that are better (perfect or near perfect) than the campus average.

Go to each schools Financial Aid Calculator and punch in you info, you will get an approximate net cost.
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….

Thought the standard was considerably higher. Can anyone else confirm that? That pretty much sums up my kid. My family income is 200k with no one else in college. Already had a kid go through college, and I never qualified for a dime of financial aid. There was no recruiting involved and the schools we looked at certainly were no where near ivy, but thought all financial aid award/criteria was pretty much the same. Apparently ivys are different?

You are correct. The standards are higher and aid for Ivys is need based. Most aid from other schools is Merit Based Scholarships so grades will matter.

The stronger the school is academically the less (if any at all) merit based aid will be available.

Ivy admissions for recruited athletes can be for some much different than the requirements for regular students. The requirements can and do vary significantly for recruited athletes within the same recruiting class. The average AI (or whatever they are using now) for the class must be close to the average AI for the entire student body. To simplify, if they were only looking at SAT at Princeton is 1450 than the team average must be close to that (they used to say team average had to be within one standard deviation of the campus average).

The studs can get in with much lower grades than the regular students. Some recruits will need to have grades similar to the average and some recruits will need to have grades that are better (perfect or near perfect) than the campus average.

Go to each schools Financial Aid Calculator and punch in you info, you will get an approximate net cost.

What do these schools do when Sept 1st rolls around and these kids have not yet taken the SAT or ACT?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cornell has a land grant program in which certain schools within the University pay lower tuition … whether an athlete or not. And they get exact same diploma as kids who pay full freight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know a kid who’s dad’s second cousins uncle Fred told my neighbors neighbor that he got into Harvard with a 2.0 GPA and a 4 on the SAT. True story!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, true and he is widely considered the densest janitor there. Right behind you. Did you guys have this discussion in the break room?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cornell has a land grant program in which certain schools within the University pay lower tuition … whether an athlete or not. And they get exact same diploma as kids who pay full freight.

Same diploma maybe, but people who know are aware that the state version of Cornell is not real Cornell. I’m sure it works on the surface to say you went there, but when the question is asked, the house of cards comes tumbling down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Same diploma maybe, but people who know are aware that the state version of Cornell is not real Cornell. I’m sure it works on the surface to say you went there, but when the question is asked, the house of cards comes tumbling down.

Such a worthless post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You have issues! I hope the black hole that is your life turns around for you soon.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, true and he is widely considered the densest janitor there. Right behind you. Did you guys have this discussion in the break room?

Ahhhh, the Wall Street snob is back!! What’s wrong, kid won’t talk to you again? Ex-wife didn’t like the fact that you were always coked up and with hookers? What a laughable caricature you are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Such a worthless post.

We all know where you went!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How was the IL ID event today? Which teams stood out?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Such a worthless post.

We all know where you went!

No, you do not. The post is as worthless and as void of character as you are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First off, a Diploma is earned by graduating from high school and a Degree is awarded from institutions of higher learning, colleges or universities. The state vs. private colleges at Cornell are all highly regarded. The "which school" snobbery is far more prevalent amongst Cornellians than non Cornell educated people. There are an outsized number of Cornell grads in finance from the private side and the state side (where the business major actually resides). Go Big Red!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First off, a Diploma is earned by graduating from high school and a Degree is awarded from institutions of higher learning, colleges or universities. The state vs. private colleges at Cornell are all highly regarded. The "which school" snobbery is far more prevalent amongst Cornellians than non Cornell educated people. There are an outsized number of Cornell grads in finance from the private side and the state side (where the business major actually resides). Go Big Red!

Which school? ….. I thought so.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Arts & Sciences...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Same diploma maybe, but people who know are aware that the state version of Cornell is not real Cornell. I’m sure it works on the surface to say you went there, but when the question is asked, the house of cards comes tumbling down."

LOL. Clearly written by someone that did not attend Cornell or likely ever even stepped foot on the campus given their lack of knowledge of the intertwined nature of the various colleges, requirements and student interactions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Same diploma maybe, but people who know are aware that the state version of Cornell is not real Cornell. I’m sure it works on the surface to say you went there, but when the question is asked, the house of cards comes tumbling down."

LOL. Clearly written by someone that did not attend Cornell or likely ever even stepped foot on the campus given their lack of knowledge of the intertwined nature of the various colleges, requirements and student interactions.

I would be happy for my son to have state version of the Cornell diploma!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One of these things is not like the others,
one of these things is not the same!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"One of these things is not like the others,
one of these things is not the same!"

Thank you for your value added post...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One of these things is not like the others,
one of these things is not the same!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Couple of facts for you. Most D1 college lax players flame out. If you play for the right travel team and really push hard, you can get into a D1 lax program. Let's face it, the lax parent is recruiting the school more than the school is recruiting the player in many cases. Staying and playing is a whole different ball game. There are countless stories of kids that stop playing lax when they get to college, they transfer, etc. "I don't like it here in the middle of nowhere where I have to take 2 plane trips and the coach yells at me and I'm riding the bench". Using lax to get into a school you normally couldn't get into is usually a good thing. However, there are cases where Johnny is not a bright bulb and he will just not fit in at a top academic institution. Especially if he is struggling to stay on the lax team. It is extremely difficult for a white male from LI with perfect grades to get into an Ivy. If lax can help that kid, or the kid that's in the mid to high 90's GPA, that is great.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by laxlurker
Couple of facts for you. Most D1 college lax players flame out. If you play for the right travel team and really push hard, you can get into a D1 lax program. Let's face it, the lax parent is recruiting the school more than the school is recruiting the player in many cases. Staying and playing is a whole different ball game. There are countless stories of kids that stop playing lax when they get to college, they transfer, etc. "I don't like it here in the middle of nowhere where I have to take 2 plane trips and the coach yells at me and I'm riding the bench". Using lax to get into a school you normally couldn't get into is usually a good thing. However, there are cases where Johnny is not a bright bulb and he will just not fit in at a top academic institution. Especially if he is struggling to stay on the lax team. It is extremely difficult for a white male from LI with perfect grades to get into an Ivy. If lax can help that kid, or the kid that's in the mid to high 90's GPA, that is great.

Not facts at all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not facts at all.

What’s the facts then?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not facts at all.

What’s the facts then?

I would say it's a partially accurate statement, the "most" part is inaccurate. Some flame out, but hardly most. Most kids will ride the bench, that's just the numbers. The coach of your kid's team is looking for his replacement every single year, that's a fact.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not facts at all.

What’s the facts then?

I would say it's a partially accurate statement, the "most" part is inaccurate. Some flame out, but hardly most. Most kids will ride the bench, that's just the numbers. The coach of your kid's team is looking for his replacement every single year, that's a fact.

Yes, that’s better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of kids drop out. Many transfer. That’s all true. But that’s because playing D1 lacrosse anywhere is really, really hard. Like crazy hard and most kids (and their parents) don’t have a clue how hard until they’re on campus and knee deep in it. Go to a Top 10 lax school and you can ramp it up even more: long hours, grad transfers constantly coming in…. And on and on it goes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most DI Lacrosse players do not flame out. If you play for the “right” club team you are most likely a very good player that works very hard, that is why you may get the opportunity to to play DI Lacrosse. Let’s face it, the coach recruits the player, they don’t listen to overbearing parents. Staying and playing is not really a whole different ballgame, many more stay than leave. There are countless stories of players who continue playing and do not transfer. Using Lacrosse to get into a school that you wouldn’t get into is a good thing and most players do just fine even at top academic institutions. Most do not struggle to stay on the team, most if not all have to work hard and compete every day in order to earn playing time. Congratulations to any kid who gets into an Ivy or any school for that matter if lacrosse helps them get in , stay in, compete, make friends for life and enjoy the ride.

Some kids quit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were 24 "recruits" in my freshman class. Not all were offered admissions help or received any lacrosse related benefits, but that is how many were in the room and in the program my freshman year. D1 school. Played in the National Championship (and lost) that same year. There were seven of us on the roster as seniors. It is a grind and competitive but fun for those whose passion it was. Many that did not play four years were great players, but it was not their passion and they found other passions while in college when left to make their own independent choices.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
24 players is.a lot for a single recruiting year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were 24 "recruits" in my freshman class. Not all were offered admissions help or received any lacrosse related benefits, but that is how many were in the room and in the program my freshman year. D1 school. Played in the National Championship (and lost) that same year. There were seven of us on the roster as seniors. It is a grind and competitive but fun for those whose passion it was. Many that did not play four years were great players, but it was not their passion and they found other passions while in college when left to make their own independent choices.

Navy?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’m relocating my family on Long Island. Any suggestions of a nice town with a good lacrosse program for a freshman? Not interested in private schools.
Thank you in advance for help.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"One of these things is not like the others,
one of these things is not the same!"

Thank you for your value added post...

You are welcome

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’m relocating my family on Long Island. Any suggestions of a nice town with a good lacrosse program for a freshman? Not interested in private schools.
Please stay where you are. The last thing LI needs is another lax nut relocating here. I seriously hope this was somebody trolling.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jericho, Roslyn, or Great Neck are superior lacrosse towns with low taxes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You failed to mention they are also the top performing academic districts on LI, and their graduates go on to the top universities at almost 100% graduate rate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"24 players is.a lot for a single recruiting year."

Agreed. That is why I put "recruits" the way I did. Walk-ons, transfers, and kids who were ok'd to tryout. not a service academy.

My point was a lot of washout, even if the actual number of kids that received some sort of benefit as a priority recruit was only 12 or so +/-

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You failed to mention they are also the top performing academic districts on LI, and their graduates go on to the top universities at almost 100% graduate rate.

Manhasset & GC are nice towns.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info. How many of the 24 freshman actually got a roster spot on the team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info. How many of the 24 freshman actually got a roster spot on the team?

Manhasset & GC are nice towns.

If you can aford it , Manhasset (tough to get on varsity team and play) ColdSpring Harbor (nice, prob easier to Get on varsity and play) ! Then there is Northport! Way more affordable and down to earth… and, a great lacrosse school!! Depends on level of play your daughter is and lifestyle you want? Manhasset and Coldspring Harbor is Name brands, country club memberships, etc… Northports yacht club is more like a local nice elks club feel. Way more down to earth. You should visit the towns , all three are on the Northshore. There are also plenty of other really nice towns on Southshore (nicer beaches) with great lacrosse! Great lacrosse all over on LI! Depends on your families lifestyle and budget!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most schools in Nassau are good. Does not matter where your kid plays lacrosse in high school. Club is more important. All those towns mentioned are nice but not all have good lacrosse. Pick location, academics and if it is reasonably affordable.

Like Reply Quote
Page 221 of 264 1 2 219 220 221 222 223 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard