Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….

Must have missed the 90 GPA......

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353799 10/21/21 08:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….

I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353851 10/22/21 10:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea. Get him a tutor to raise the GPA and ACT, it’s a much greater advantage.

Last edited by JesLax1; 10/22/21 10:58 AM. Reason: Duplicate quote
Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353859 10/22/21 11:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thought the standard was considerably higher. Can anyone else confirm that? That pretty much sums up my kid. My family income is 200k with no one else in college. Already had a kid go through college, and I never qualified for a dime of financial aid. There was no recruiting involved and the schools we looked at certainly were no where near ivy, but thought all financial aid award/criteria was pretty much the same. Apparently ivys are different?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353862 10/22/21 11:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is definitely not the norm for an Ivy and I would venture is an exception to the rule. Also all Ivy Schools are need based financial aid and require FAFSA forms to be submitted

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #353863 10/22/21 11:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thought the standard was considerably higher. Can anyone else confirm that? That pretty much sums up my kid. My family income is 200k with no one else in college. Already had a kid go through college, and I never qualified for a dime of financial aid. There was no recruiting involved and the schools we looked at certainly were no where near ivy, but thought all financial aid award/criteria was pretty much the same. Apparently ivys are different?

You are correct. The standards are higher and aid for Ivys is need based. Most aid from other schools is Merit Based Scholarships so grades will matter.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353865 10/22/21 11:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also depends on how much revenue a sport brings into a college. Rules for football recruiting are drastically different than other sports .

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353885 10/22/21 02:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are correct. The standards are higher and aid for Ivys is need based. Most aid from other schools is Merit Based Scholarships so grades will matter.

The stronger the school is academically the less (if any at all) merit based aid will be available.

Ivy admissions for recruited athletes can be for some much different than the requirements for regular students. The requirements can and do vary significantly for recruited athletes within the same recruiting class. The average AI (or whatever they are using now) for the class must be close to the average AI for the entire student body. To simplify, if they were only looking at SAT at Princeton is 1450 than the team average must be close to that (they used to say team average had to be within one standard deviation of the campus average).

The studs can get in with much lower grades than the regular students. Some recruits will need to have grades similar to the average and some recruits will need to have grades that are better (perfect or near perfect) than the campus average.

Go to each schools Financial Aid Calculator and punch in you info, you will get an approximate net cost.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353886 10/22/21 02:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also depends on how much revenue a sport brings into a college. Rules for football recruiting are drastically different than other sports .

Not really.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353892 10/22/21 04:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The stronger the school is academically the less (if any at all) merit based aid will be available.

Ivy admissions for recruited athletes can be for some much different than the requirements for regular students. The requirements can and do vary significantly for recruited athletes within the same recruiting class. The average AI (or whatever they are using now) for the class must be close to the average AI for the entire student body. To simplify, if they were only looking at SAT at Princeton is 1450 than the team average must be close to that (they used to say team average had to be within one standard deviation of the campus average).

The studs can get in with much lower grades than the regular students. Some recruits will need to have grades similar to the average and some recruits will need to have grades that are better (perfect or near perfect) than the campus average.

Go to each schools Financial Aid Calculator and punch in you info, you will get an approximate net cost.

I’ve heard that some ivys are more lenient than others when it comes to athletes. I know of a kid that was accepted to Cornel with very low 90’s GPA (not sure of SAT) and he was basically paying SUNY instate tuition. Think I heard that Yale also was easier to get into for athletes. The Cornel info came directly from the dad. Not sure about rest of schools. Know anything about that?

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #353894 10/22/21 04:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do these schools do when Sept 1st rolls around and these kids have not yet taken the SAT or ACT?

Like Reply Quote
B_O_T_C #353895 10/22/21 04:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353897 10/22/21 05:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cornell has a land grant program in which certain schools within the University pay lower tuition … whether an athlete or not. And they get exact same diploma as kids who pay full freight.

Like Reply Quote
B_O_T_C #353907 10/22/21 11:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know a kid who’s dad’s second cousins uncle Fred told my neighbors neighbor that he got into Harvard with a 2.0 GPA and a 4 on the SAT. True story!!

Like Reply Quote
B_O_T_C #353908 10/23/21 06:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, true and he is widely considered the densest janitor there. Right behind you. Did you guys have this discussion in the break room?

Like Reply Quote
Page 587 of 598 1 2 585 586 587 588 589 597 598
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard