BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted!! PWant FILLED REGISTRATIONS, REAL SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS for you? Contact us! | Be Part of Our Intriguing Newsletter List and Our Elite Community: Influence & Network with U.S. based Laxers!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 220 of 263 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 262 263
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really don't understand how anyone can argue with a straight face that getting recruited for lacrosse was NOT a significant, if not the only reason, how these kids got admitted to a top school.

Facts:
1. Recruited athletes have significantly lower academic profiles compared to non-recruited applicants who matriculate at the same school.
2. Recruited Harvard athlete has an 86% acceptance rate when the overall acceptance rate was 5%. Recruited athletes were 1000 times more likely in getting admitted compared to non-athletes.
These odds were significantly better than other favored categories including donor, single legacy, double legacy, or children of Harvard faculty. The paper actually concluded that being a recruited athlete was by far the best way to get accepted by Harvard.
3. Most recruited athletes score a 3 or lower in Harvard's admissions academic score, which effectively means they have 0 chance of getting in as a regular applicant. Only 1s and 2s make it to the Admissions Committee phase for the acceptance vote.

The only argument that's been made is that lacrosse players weren't specifically looked at. Somehow lacrosse players are different compared to recruited athletes of the other 30-40 non-revenue sports teams?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1500+ SAT and 4.0+ GPA are stellar credentials, but Yale is still a reach for everyone. There's no way of knowing whether she would have been accepted to Yale if she wasn't recruited to play soccer.
I don't know if AI scores are applicable anymore, since SAT subject tests are no longer offered and the schools are now test optional- even for athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I really don't understand how anyone can argue with a straight face that getting recruited for lacrosse was NOT a significant, if not the only reason, how these kids got admitted to a top school.

Facts:
1. Recruited athletes have significantly lower academic profiles compared to non-recruited applicants who matriculate at the same school.
2. Recruited Harvard athlete has an 86% acceptance rate when the overall acceptance rate was 5%. Recruited athletes were 1000 times more likely in getting admitted compared to non-athletes.
These odds were significantly better than other favored categories including donor, single legacy, double legacy, or children of Harvard faculty. The paper actually concluded that being a recruited athlete was by far the best way to get accepted by Harvard.
3. Most recruited athletes score a 3 or lower in Harvard's admissions academic score, which effectively means they have 0 chance of getting in as a regular applicant. Only 1s and 2s make it to the Admissions Committee phase for the acceptance vote.

The only argument that's been made is that lacrosse players weren't specifically looked at. Somehow lacrosse players are different compared to recruited athletes of the other 30-40 non-revenue sports teams?

Because it's not significant. it's slight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, football is quite different from lacrosse. I would challenge anyone on here to go the Ivy rosters and see where all those kids went to HS. A whole lot of privates, very few publics.

Only real difference at an Ivy is the amount of players. They still need to average out the Team AI.

Not sure what your point is regarding public or private. My oldest went to a public HS and I believe there were 9 athletes from the same graduation class that went on to compete at Ivy League schools .

I think most college lacrosse rosters are filled with kids from private schools (not just the Ivy’s)

The point is, the ridiculous argument that lacrosse “significantly “ improves an athlete’s chances for admissions. The vast majority of players at Ivy League schools are excellent students from elite private HS programs and families of means. They are not 85 GPA 1200 SAT students from a LI public as some here would have you believe. This is also true for those athletes going to elite programs and schools ie UVA, UNC and ND.

Lacrosse most certainly does "significantly" improve an athletes chances for admission to Ivy League schools. As for the "public" school kids from Long Island or anywhere for that matter you should be very thankful that they choose to attend Ivy League schools because over the years Ivy League Teams would be very pedestrian without them.

Based on what factual evidence?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have no chance of getting admitted because you are a 3 or 4 on their academic scale, it’s a lot more than a “slight.”

Going from 0% (no sports) to100% probability (recruited athlete) of getting accepted by a top school- it’s not mathematically possible to find a bigger difference in outcome.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Harvard is letting anyone in based on lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, football is quite different from lacrosse. I would challenge anyone on here to go the Ivy rosters and see where all those kids went to HS. A whole lot of privates, very few publics.

Only real difference at an Ivy is the amount of players. They still need to average out the Team AI.

Not sure what your point is regarding public or private. My oldest went to a public HS and I believe there were 9 athletes from the same graduation class that went on to compete at Ivy League schools .

I think most college lacrosse rosters are filled with kids from private schools (not just the Ivy’s)

The point is, the ridiculous argument that lacrosse “significantly “ improves an athlete’s chances for admissions. The vast majority of players at Ivy League schools are excellent students from elite private HS programs and families of means. They are not 85 GPA 1200 SAT students from a LI public as some here would have you believe. This is also true for those athletes going to elite programs and schools ie UVA, UNC and ND.

Lacrosse most certainly does "significantly" improve an athletes chances for admission to Ivy League schools. As for the "public" school kids from Long Island or anywhere for that matter you should be very thankful that they choose to attend Ivy League schools because over the years Ivy League Teams would be very pedestrian without them.

Factual evidence of what? The fact that Lacrosse players get significant help with admissions or the fact that over the years Ivy Lacrosse Teams would be very pedestrian without their Public School kids?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Isn't that the same for any school?
If the lacrosse coach wants you and you meet the minimum academic standards established by the admissions office (meaning you got a pre-read green light), you are in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Such an ignorant statement. What happened, Harvard commit some kids with lower grades than your kid?

The kids that commit to Harvard all have good grades, they may have zero chance of getting in on their own but they all have very good grades.

Green is not a very attractive color.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is no shame in not getting accepted into a top 10 academic school. So many applicants have extraordinary credentials and don't get selected. It's amazing that their average GPA is 4+ and SAT score is over 1500. If you remove their special populations: recruited athlete, donor, legacy, faculty children, under-represented minority, first generation college student (all of whom potentially account more than 1/2 of the admitted class), how much higher would those averages as well as those extracurricular standards get? It really is an impossible academic standard.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is no shame in not getting accepted into a top 10 academic school. So many applicants have extraordinary credentials and don't get selected. It's amazing that their average GPA is 4+ and SAT score is over 1500. If you remove their special populations: recruited athlete, donor, legacy, faculty children, under-represented minority, first generation college student (all of whom potentially account more than 1/2 of the admitted class), how much higher would those averages as well as those extracurricular standards get? It really is an impossible academic standard.

I can't speak for lacrosse because I have a son who is not of a recruiting age yet but I do have a son that swims in the Ivy League and he had a 93 average and 1180 on his SAT. There was a ZERO percent chance that he was getting in without swimming. He was an All America in HS and now is doing well academically and athletically but I will reiterate he was not going Ivy without swimming. For athletes the standards are less but that is because they have excelled in other areas and colleges (including the Ivies) want students who bring other things to the school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Isn't that the same for any school?
If the lacrosse coach wants you and you meet the minimum academic standards established by the admissions office (meaning you got a pre-read green light), you are in.

Harder for lacrosse kid to to get into a “Little Ivy” NESCAC school like Williams or Amherst than Harvard or Yale. Much smaller schools (+/- 1600 students) and coaches have far less pull…..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Factual evidence of what? The fact that Lacrosse players get significant help with admissions or the fact that over the years Ivy Lacrosse Teams would be very pedestrian without their Public School kids?

What exactly is significant? What are you basing this on?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have no chance of getting admitted because you are a 3 or 4 on their academic scale, it’s a lot more than a “slight.”

Going from 0% (no sports) to100% probability (recruited athlete) of getting accepted by a top school- it’s not mathematically possible to find a bigger difference in outcome.

No it’s slight

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One thing yall are missing here is the high academic student who is maybe not a top prospect that will be offered a spot on the team and a good financial package because he/she will bring up that AI score for a better prospect with worse grades. A student at mywife's HS got into Yale and a full ride, Girls Soccer, because she was 1500+ sat and 4.0+ Academically, she was fine. Her athletics was borderline, but her grades got her the D1 ride.. For every recruit with marginal grades, there needs to be one on the other end..

What exactly is a yall?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son went to a showcase in Maryland recently. Beforehand we did some research on some me schools to see who had his intended major and what seemed a good lacrosse fit. He reached out ahead of time to contact coaches saying he’d be there, sent tape, etc. pretty quick afterwards 2 of them reached out and basically said you’d be a good fit, come visit, etc. we then started getting emails from the school about the admissions process, open houses, after we expressed possible interest back. It’s still very early in the school search process, how should we handle those schools that reached out? Are they possible? Maybe but at this point just dipping our toe in. Are the expecting us to get heavily involved in some way? He’s a junior middie (really the faceoff part is what they want). D3 schools. Thanks in advance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can't speak for lacrosse because I have a son who is not of a recruiting age yet but I do have a son that swims in the Ivy League and he had a 93 average and 1180 on his SAT. There was a ZERO percent chance that he was getting in without swimming. He was an All America in HS and now is doing well academically and athletically but I will reiterate he was not going Ivy without swimming. For athletes the standards are less but that is because they have excelled in other areas and colleges (including the Ivies) want students who bring other things to the school.

That’s a great story even if it isn’t lacrosse related. Congratulations to your som for both his academic and athletic success in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One thing yall are missing here is the high academic student who is maybe not a top prospect that will be offered a spot on the team and a good financial package because he/she will bring up that AI score for a better prospect with worse grades. A student at mywife's HS got into Yale and a full ride, Girls Soccer, because she was 1500+ sat and 4.0+ Academically, she was fine. Her athletics was borderline, but her grades got her the D1 ride.. For every recruit with marginal grades, there needs to be one on the other end..

What exactly is a yall?
It’s a youse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is not possible. I read on hear that only football and basketball players receive “significant” assistance with admissions. Ivy Lacrosse players are all incredible students, attended elite private schools and come from families of means. No way a Lacrosse player from one of those dreadful Long Island Public Schools could get into an Ivy with grades like that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son went to a showcase in Maryland recently. Beforehand we did some research on some me schools to see who had his intended major and what seemed a good lacrosse fit. He reached out ahead of time to contact coaches saying he’d be there, sent tape, etc. pretty quick afterwards 2 of them reached out and basically said you’d be a good fit, come visit, etc. we then started getting emails from the school about the admissions process, open houses, after we expressed possible interest back. It’s still very early in the school search process, how should we handle those schools that reached out? Are they possible? Maybe but at this point just dipping our toe in. Are the expecting us to get heavily involved in some way? He’s a junior middie (really the faceoff part is what they want). D3 schools. Thanks in advance.

Unless your son has zero interest in attending the school I would have him engage and start the process, see where it goes. If he has a genuine interest in a particular school, make sure all of the coaches at the school know he is legitimately interested. Even if his interest is only moderate he should engage, it’s good experience and when other coaches ask who else he is talking to he will have some schools. Coaches know what they like but they also like validation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Without lax maybe he would have studied and had the grade for the schools that didn't call. just sayin. Average grades, average schools, average job offers.......

I wasn't the original poster about this, but to be clear unless you go to an IVY or ND, Duke, Virginia etc... you will only receive average job offers. Got it so gentlemen get ready 99% of the boys on here are going to ONLY get average jobs, they will never amount to anything in life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Above post raises interesting issue about coaches asking who else a kid is talking to. My son is at a D1 school now and my position during his recruitment was essentially “none of your business.” I prepped him to keep it more polite but still very general:“some Big East schools, Patriot League, schools, etc.”. Don’t mention other schools specifically by name. Others may disagree, but that was our approach and the coaches we spoke to never balked.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is not possible. I read on hear that only football and basketball players receive “significant” assistance with admissions. Ivy Lacrosse players are all incredible students, attended elite private schools and come from families of means. No way a Lacrosse player from one of those dreadful Long Island Public Schools could get into an Ivy with grades like that.

You read it right!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Above post raises interesting issue about coaches asking who else a kid is talking to. My son is at a D1 school now and my position during his recruitment was essentially “none of your business.” I prepped him to keep it more polite but still very general:“some Big East schools, Patriot League, schools, etc.”. Don’t mention other schools specifically by name. Others may disagree, but that was our approach and the coaches we spoke to never balked.

If you are talking to schools that are at the same level or better (lacrosse) than the school that is asking, definitely name the schools. If they are lower tier than the school that is asking be vague.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

In the past (pre-Covid) the minimum Academic Index score in order to be accepted was 171.

Ivy’s do not offer athletic scholarships.

Ivy’s offer extremely generous need based financial aid and there are many from Long Island who qualify especially if they have multiple kids in college.

IMHO, if your kid gets recruited by Ivy League schools he should at the very least explore the opportunities.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

And if your HS age student enters college when your older son is still in college the cost of 28k will go down to 14K…. For many families, Ivy need based aid is better than an athletic scholarship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….

Where's the guy(s) who said that playing sports (specifically lacrosse) only SLIGHTLY improves your chance of getting admitted to an Ivy?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Must have missed the 90 GPA......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m telling my 2024 son that since he already has a 93 average and is on track to score a 33 on his ACT, he doesn’t have to play lacrosse anymore because the slight advantage it is giving him to help him get into a top school is no longer necessary.[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea. Get him a tutor to raise the GPA and ACT, it’s a much greater advantage.

Last edited by JesLax1; . Reason: Duplicate quote
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thought the standard was considerably higher. Can anyone else confirm that? That pretty much sums up my kid. My family income is 200k with no one else in college. Already had a kid go through college, and I never qualified for a dime of financial aid. There was no recruiting involved and the schools we looked at certainly were no where near ivy, but thought all financial aid award/criteria was pretty much the same. Apparently ivys are different?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is definitely not the norm for an Ivy and I would venture is an exception to the rule. Also all Ivy Schools are need based financial aid and require FAFSA forms to be submitted

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thought the standard was considerably higher. Can anyone else confirm that? That pretty much sums up my kid. My family income is 200k with no one else in college. Already had a kid go through college, and I never qualified for a dime of financial aid. There was no recruiting involved and the schools we looked at certainly were no where near ivy, but thought all financial aid award/criteria was pretty much the same. Apparently ivys are different?

You are correct. The standards are higher and aid for Ivys is need based. Most aid from other schools is Merit Based Scholarships so grades will matter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also depends on how much revenue a sport brings into a college. Rules for football recruiting are drastically different than other sports .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are correct. The standards are higher and aid for Ivys is need based. Most aid from other schools is Merit Based Scholarships so grades will matter.

The stronger the school is academically the less (if any at all) merit based aid will be available.

Ivy admissions for recruited athletes can be for some much different than the requirements for regular students. The requirements can and do vary significantly for recruited athletes within the same recruiting class. The average AI (or whatever they are using now) for the class must be close to the average AI for the entire student body. To simplify, if they were only looking at SAT at Princeton is 1450 than the team average must be close to that (they used to say team average had to be within one standard deviation of the campus average).

The studs can get in with much lower grades than the regular students. Some recruits will need to have grades similar to the average and some recruits will need to have grades that are better (perfect or near perfect) than the campus average.

Go to each schools Financial Aid Calculator and punch in you info, you will get an approximate net cost.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also depends on how much revenue a sport brings into a college. Rules for football recruiting are drastically different than other sports .

Not really.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The stronger the school is academically the less (if any at all) merit based aid will be available.

Ivy admissions for recruited athletes can be for some much different than the requirements for regular students. The requirements can and do vary significantly for recruited athletes within the same recruiting class. The average AI (or whatever they are using now) for the class must be close to the average AI for the entire student body. To simplify, if they were only looking at SAT at Princeton is 1450 than the team average must be close to that (they used to say team average had to be within one standard deviation of the campus average).

The studs can get in with much lower grades than the regular students. Some recruits will need to have grades similar to the average and some recruits will need to have grades that are better (perfect or near perfect) than the campus average.

Go to each schools Financial Aid Calculator and punch in you info, you will get an approximate net cost.

I’ve heard that some ivys are more lenient than others when it comes to athletes. I know of a kid that was accepted to Cornel with very low 90’s GPA (not sure of SAT) and he was basically paying SUNY instate tuition. Think I heard that Yale also was easier to get into for athletes. The Cornel info came directly from the dad. Not sure about rest of schools. Know anything about that?

Like Reply Quote
Page 220 of 263 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 262 263
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard