BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous - 12/07/21 08:26 AM
Girls 2024-10th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 12/07/21 08:25 AM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 12/07/21 08:22 AM
Girls 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 12/07/21 08:19 AM
Boys 2028 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 12/07/21 08:01 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics2,831
Posts318,088
Members2,353
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 586 of 598 1 2 584 585 586 587 588 597 598
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #353539 10/19/21 05:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son went to a showcase in Maryland recently. Beforehand we did some research on some me schools to see who had his intended major and what seemed a good lacrosse fit. He reached out ahead of time to contact coaches saying he’d be there, sent tape, etc. pretty quick afterwards 2 of them reached out and basically said you’d be a good fit, come visit, etc. we then started getting emails from the school about the admissions process, open houses, after we expressed possible interest back. It’s still very early in the school search process, how should we handle those schools that reached out? Are they possible? Maybe but at this point just dipping our toe in. Are the expecting us to get heavily involved in some way? He’s a junior middie (really the faceoff part is what they want). D3 schools. Thanks in advance.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353554 10/19/21 10:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is no shame in not getting accepted into a top 10 academic school. So many applicants have extraordinary credentials and don't get selected. It's amazing that their average GPA is 4+ and SAT score is over 1500. If you remove their special populations: recruited athlete, donor, legacy, faculty children, under-represented minority, first generation college student (all of whom potentially account more than 1/2 of the admitted class), how much higher would those averages as well as those extracurricular standards get? It really is an impossible academic standard.

I can't speak for lacrosse because I have a son who is not of a recruiting age yet but I do have a son that swims in the Ivy League and he had a 93 average and 1180 on his SAT. There was a ZERO percent chance that he was getting in without swimming. He was an All America in HS and now is doing well academically and athletically but I will reiterate he was not going Ivy without swimming. For athletes the standards are less but that is because they have excelled in other areas and colleges (including the Ivies) want students who bring other things to the school.


That’s a great story even if it isn’t lacrosse related. Congratulations to your som for both his academic and athletic success in college.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353567 10/20/21 07:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
One thing yall are missing here is the high academic student who is maybe not a top prospect that will be offered a spot on the team and a good financial package because he/she will bring up that AI score for a better prospect with worse grades. A student at mywife's HS got into Yale and a full ride, Girls Soccer, because she was 1500+ sat and 4.0+ Academically, she was fine. Her athletics was borderline, but her grades got her the D1 ride.. For every recruit with marginal grades, there needs to be one on the other end..

What exactly is a yall?
It’s a youse

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353579 10/20/21 08:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is no shame in not getting accepted into a top 10 academic school. So many applicants have extraordinary credentials and don't get selected. It's amazing that their average GPA is 4+ and SAT score is over 1500. If you remove their special populations: recruited athlete, donor, legacy, faculty children, under-represented minority, first generation college student (all of whom potentially account more than 1/2 of the admitted class), how much higher would those averages as well as those extracurricular standards get? It really is an impossible academic standard.

I can't speak for lacrosse because I have a son who is not of a recruiting age yet but I do have a son that swims in the Ivy League and he had a 93 average and 1180 on his SAT. There was a ZERO percent chance that he was getting in without swimming. He was an All America in HS and now is doing well academically and athletically but I will reiterate he was not going Ivy without swimming. For athletes the standards are less but that is because they have excelled in other areas and colleges (including the Ivies) want students who bring other things to the school.

That is not possible. I read on hear that only football and basketball players receive “significant” assistance with admissions. Ivy Lacrosse players are all incredible students, attended elite private schools and come from families of means. No way a Lacrosse player from one of those dreadful Long Island Public Schools could get into an Ivy with grades like that.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353582 10/20/21 08:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son went to a showcase in Maryland recently. Beforehand we did some research on some me schools to see who had his intended major and what seemed a good lacrosse fit. He reached out ahead of time to contact coaches saying he’d be there, sent tape, etc. pretty quick afterwards 2 of them reached out and basically said you’d be a good fit, come visit, etc. we then started getting emails from the school about the admissions process, open houses, after we expressed possible interest back. It’s still very early in the school search process, how should we handle those schools that reached out? Are they possible? Maybe but at this point just dipping our toe in. Are the expecting us to get heavily involved in some way? He’s a junior middie (really the faceoff part is what they want). D3 schools. Thanks in advance.

Unless your son has zero interest in attending the school I would have him engage and start the process, see where it goes. If he has a genuine interest in a particular school, make sure all of the coaches at the school know he is legitimately interested. Even if his interest is only moderate he should engage, it’s good experience and when other coaches ask who else he is talking to he will have some schools. Coaches know what they like but they also like validation.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #353626 10/20/21 12:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Without lax maybe he would have studied and had the grade for the schools that didn't call. just sayin. Average grades, average schools, average job offers.......

I wasn't the original poster about this, but to be clear unless you go to an IVY or ND, Duke, Virginia etc... you will only receive average job offers. Got it so gentlemen get ready 99% of the boys on here are going to ONLY get average jobs, they will never amount to anything in life.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353649 10/20/21 02:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Above post raises interesting issue about coaches asking who else a kid is talking to. My son is at a D1 school now and my position during his recruitment was essentially “none of your business.” I prepped him to keep it more polite but still very general:“some Big East schools, Patriot League, schools, etc.”. Don’t mention other schools specifically by name. Others may disagree, but that was our approach and the coaches we spoke to never balked.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353660 10/20/21 04:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is no shame in not getting accepted into a top 10 academic school. So many applicants have extraordinary credentials and don't get selected. It's amazing that their average GPA is 4+ and SAT score is over 1500. If you remove their special populations: recruited athlete, donor, legacy, faculty children, under-represented minority, first generation college student (all of whom potentially account more than 1/2 of the admitted class), how much higher would those averages as well as those extracurricular standards get? It really is an impossible academic standard.

I can't speak for lacrosse because I have a son who is not of a recruiting age yet but I do have a son that swims in the Ivy League and he had a 93 average and 1180 on his SAT. There was a ZERO percent chance that he was getting in without swimming. He was an All America in HS and now is doing well academically and athletically but I will reiterate he was not going Ivy without swimming. For athletes the standards are less but that is because they have excelled in other areas and colleges (including the Ivies) want students who bring other things to the school.

That is not possible. I read on hear that only football and basketball players receive “significant” assistance with admissions. Ivy Lacrosse players are all incredible students, attended elite private schools and come from families of means. No way a Lacrosse player from one of those dreadful Long Island Public Schools could get into an Ivy with grades like that.

You read it right!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353666 10/20/21 04:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Above post raises interesting issue about coaches asking who else a kid is talking to. My son is at a D1 school now and my position during his recruitment was essentially “none of your business.” I prepped him to keep it more polite but still very general:“some Big East schools, Patriot League, schools, etc.”. Don’t mention other schools specifically by name. Others may disagree, but that was our approach and the coaches we spoke to never balked.

If you are talking to schools that are at the same level or better (lacrosse) than the school that is asking, definitely name the schools. If they are lower tier than the school that is asking be vague.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #353674 10/20/21 08:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353686 10/21/21 06:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

In the past (pre-Covid) the minimum Academic Index score in order to be accepted was 171.

Ivy’s do not offer athletic scholarships.

Ivy’s offer extremely generous need based financial aid and there are many from Long Island who qualify especially if they have multiple kids in college.

IMHO, if your kid gets recruited by Ivy League schools he should at the very least explore the opportunities.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353699 10/21/21 07:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353704 10/21/21 08:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

And if your HS age student enters college when your older son is still in college the cost of 28k will go down to 14K…. For many families, Ivy need based aid is better than an athletic scholarship.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353709 10/21/21 08:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #353722 10/21/21 10:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the minimum gpa/sat that an ivy will consider? And are there any scholarship $’s available for lacrosse players? Being from LI, I’m sure that absolutely no one qualifies for any financial aid. Not looking to pay a 70k sticker price for an ivy.

My son got into an Ivy as a lax player with a 1250 SAT. We pay $28k for an $80k school. Family income is $200k and have one other child in HS. This is a better scholarship than he would have received at a non Ivy as it is the equivalent of about 65%

Sounds like top tier recruits can get into Ivy League Schools with somewhere around 1200 or equivalent ACT and approximately 90 GPA….


Where's the guy(s) who said that playing sports (specifically lacrosse) only SLIGHTLY improves your chance of getting admitted to an Ivy?

Like Reply Quote
Page 586 of 598 1 2 584 585 586 587 588 597 598
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard






Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4