BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 151 of 311 1 2 149 150 151 152 153 310 311
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Anyone have a grasp for how often on age freshman make varsity on MIAA teams?

Is it routine? An totally anomaly?

My kid is in middle school and am just wondering.
MM will chime in soon and let you know that all of his 91 players make V freshman year. Other than them, I would say not many out of all the freshman players out there.

On age? More of an anomaly in the MIAA. Especially at the top 5. I know of just a handful. And they were on bottom-half MIAA teams. No knock. But it makes sense, obviously as there more opportunities at those schools.

Want to know your chances? Look at the overall program numbers. Most of the schools like CH, Loyola, BL, have 100+ kids in their lax programs.

25 Fresh/Soph, 25 JV, 40+ Varsity. 10+ underclass wannabes/cuts. You have better chances at smaller or developing schools like StM, StP, JC, MSJ, Severn.

A better, more telling stat- see how many kids are in the freshman class across ALL teams. And then how many seniors the varsity has rostered.

My son is a '22 and was looking at one of the larger, all-male high schools. At the time, he would have been one of 14 incoming ATTACKMEN in his freshman class. There are currently only 11 kids from the ENTIRE class of 22 who made it through to senior year. He settled on one of the schools above, and has been varsity since Soph year. Gotten a lot of game tape against the best in the nation, and committed to Navy. Been a great experience.

Your son is a 22 Attackmen going to a navy?

His son should have stuck with UMBC. He won’t see the field at Navy. He wouldn’t have seen the field at “one of the larger all male schools” Like all 2022 Dbacks, he peaked in 6th grade. But hey congrats on free college though

What a garbage comment (Okay the dbacks trolling was good). 75% of the BOTC dads won't see their kids ever take the field at D1-D3 and you need to start mentally preparing for that, rather than pissing on the kid for getting lesser level HS playing time and getting a USNA commission...and on the lax roster. Seriously.

I smell a USNA dropout in our midst.......who didn't get rostered for lax whatsoever at USNA and finished his education at Towson as a non athlete. You are like the Uncle Rico of BOTC. I bet you can BTB a shot over that next mountain. If coach woulda put you in, you woulda won state!

Thanks Sally. Like I said, CONGRATS on free school. Mine didn't get a fool ride to play in college from the original school the 22 attackman left because he couldn't play. Save my post and shove it back in my face when he regularly sees the field at Navy.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have a grasp for how often on age freshman make varsity on MIAA teams?

Is it routine? An totally anomaly?

My kid is in middle school and am just wondering.
MM will chime in soon and let you know that all of his 91 players make V freshman year. Other than them, I would say not many out of all the freshman players out there.

On age? More of an anomaly in the MIAA. Especially at the top 5. I know of just a handful. And they were on bottom-half MIAA teams. No knock. But it makes sense, obviously as there more opportunities at those schools.

Want to know your chances? Look at the overall program numbers. Most of the schools like CH, Loyola, BL, have 100+ kids in their lax programs.

25 Fresh/Soph, 25 JV, 40+ Varsity. 10+ underclass wannabes/cuts. You have better chances at smaller or developing schools like StM, StP, JC, MSJ, Severn.

A better, more telling stat- see how many kids are in the freshman class across ALL teams. And then how many seniors the varsity has rostered.

My son is a '22 and was looking at one of the larger, all-male high schools. At the time, he would have been one of 14 incoming ATTACKMEN in his freshman class. There are currently only 11 kids from the ENTIRE class of 22 who made it through to senior year. He settled on one of the schools above, and has been varsity since Soph year. Gotten a lot of game tape against the best in the nation, and committed to Navy. Been a great experience.

Your son is a 22 Attackmen going to a navy?

His son should have stuck with UMBC. He won’t see the field at Navy. He wouldn’t have seen the field at “one of the larger all male schools” Like all 2022 Dbacks, he peaked in 6th grade. But hey congrats on free college though

What a garbage comment (Okay the dbacks trolling was good). 75% of the BOTC dads won't see their kids ever take the field at D1-D3 and you need to start mentally preparing for that, rather than pissing on the kid for getting lesser level HS playing time and getting a USNA commission...and on the lax roster. Seriously.

I smell a USNA dropout in our midst.......who didn't get rostered for lax whatsoever at USNA and finished his education at Towson as a non athlete. You are like the Uncle Rico of BOTC. I bet you can BTB a shot over that next mountain. If coach woulda put you in, you woulda won state

Thanks Sally. Like I said, CONGRATS on free school. Mine didn't get a fool ride to play in college from the original school the 22 attackman left because he couldn't play. Save my post and shove it back in my face when he regularly sees the field at Navy.

What are you mumbling about? You logic and envy are confusing?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's also worth noting that Spencer MADE the BL Varsity as a soph; he just wouldn't have gotten much tick, hence the suggestion to play JV
It's also worth noting that Spencer MADE the BL Varsity as a soph; he just wouldn't have gotten much tick, hence the suggestion to play JV

Also worth noting that he played Fresh/Soph in his first freshman year at SM.

And that he had a huge growth spurt. Nothing like growing 5 inches or so to change things.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone else think these high profile 2023s from celebrity dads are going to spend a lot of time on the bench?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard that Spaulding was being eliminated from playoffs in 2022 due to tampering. Any truth to this?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard that Spaulding was being eliminated from playoffs in 2022 due to tampering. Any truth to this?

Of course not, but the Spalding non believers will salivate over this. Spalding is on their way up to top of the MIAA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, still upset your son wasnt invited to go to Spalding. Give it a rest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Saw some talk about high school program numbers in different threads.
It's still an Interesting look at the roster numbers in A schools as posted on their own websites. Not responsible for any errors. All Info appears to be accurate as of the '21 season.
And this doesn't take into account kids who are cut.

121 Calvert Hall
31 F/S
37 JV
53 V

111 Loyola
21 F/S
37 JV
53 V

97 St Mary's
25 F/S
29 JV
43 V

86 Spalding
18 F
31 JV
37 V

84 Boys Latin
20 F/S
29 JV
35 V

64 John Carroll
0 F/S
29 JV
35 V

55 Severn
0 F/S
26 JV
29 V

No numbers reported, but website indicates:
StP has a JV and V team
McD has a JV and V team
MSJ has a F/S, JV and V team
Gilman has a Club, F/S, JV and V team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enrollment added:

121 Calvert Hall (1200 Boys Enrollment)
31 F/S
37 JV
53 V

111 Loyola (1000 Boys Enrollment)
21 F/S
37 JV
53 V

97 St Mary's (500 Total Enrollment- 250 Boys Enrollment)
25 F/S
29 JV
43 V

86 Spalding (1250 Total Enrollment- 625 Boys Enrollment)
18 F
31 JV
37 V

84 Boys Latin (600 Boys Enrollment)
20 F/S
29 JV
35 V

64 John Carroll (700 Total Enrollment- 350 Boys Enrollment)
0 F/S
29 JV
35 V

55 Severn (850 Total Enrollment- 425 Boys Enrollment)
0 F/S
26 JV
29 V

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For all the folks talking about "committing" to Navy, keep in mind such a commitment depends on the kid getting in. And unlike other schools, coaches at the Academy are strictly prohibited from contacting admissions or otherwise attempting to influence the process. So while admissions takes into account sports achievements (especially things like being a captain), that doesn't mean a kid is getting admitted with poor grades and test scores just because he "committed". The most likely outcome in those cases is that the kid will be encouraged to attend the Navy prep school up in RI for a year. Assuming the kid is willing take that year, then he has a very good chance of admission.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enrollment added:

31 F/S
37 JV
53 V

21 F/S
37 JV
53 V

25 F/S
29 JV
43 V

18 F
31 JV
37 V

20 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
26 JV
29 V

Where are you getting these numbers. Inaccurate. Severn has 450 in the upper school - altogether.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone else think these high profile 2023s from celebrity dads are going to spend a lot of time on the bench?

Yeah - there are a lot of '22 and '23 high profile kids with influential dads that will either spend time on the bench or be thoroughly embarrassed once they get on the field in college. The dad coaches of these '22 & '23 D1 commits will not longer be able to set all the plays to run through their kids or work the refs for preferential treatment. I'm very surprised the head coaches at 'Cuse, UNC, Duke, Navy, MD etc. bought into all of this - they are opening themselves up to a ton of headaches dealing with these helicopter dad coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For all the folks talking about "committing" to Navy, keep in mind such a commitment depends on the kid getting in. And unlike other schools, coaches at the Academy are strictly prohibited from contacting admissions or otherwise attempting to influence the process. So while admissions takes into account sports achievements (especially things like being a captain), that doesn't mean a kid is getting admitted with poor grades and test scores just because he "committed". The most likely outcome in those cases is that the kid will be encouraged to attend the Navy prep school up in RI for a year. Assuming the kid is willing take that year, then he has a very good chance of admission.

What if he beats up a Navy swim commit? Better or worse chances of getting playing time?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah - there are a lot of '22 and '23 high profile kids with influential dads that will either spend time on the bench or be thoroughly embarrassed once they get on the field in college. The dad coaches of these '22 & '23 D1 commits will not longer be able to set all the plays to run through their kids or work the refs for preferential treatment. I'm very surprised the head coaches at 'Cuse, UNC, Duke, Navy, MD etc. bought into all of this - they are opening themselves up to a ton of headaches dealing with these helicopter dad coaches.

I do find it interesting of the recruits and schools, But most are very good players and better than majority . Several area coaches sons have been recruited/gone to very good D1 schools, Most will not see field or are sitting on bench now. But they will be assets during practice and will have HS coach thinking highly of college program for future recruits .

The funnel of players gets smaller and smaller as you go to college at top D1 schools. Better be more than smart Lax IQ and have great stickwork which many 5-8 to 5-11 MIAA players have.

Recent example is the ECD head cam video of shutdown of top recruit going to a big D1 school. Clear the D owns him. That will not get you playing time at D1 if you cant beat your man in practice. He still has time to get better, but he is supposedly the best player at this time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I do find it interesting of the recruits and schools, But most are very good players and better than majority . Several area coaches sons have been recruited/gone to very good D1 schools, Most will not see field or are sitting on bench now. But they will be assets during practice and will have HS coach thinking highly of college program for future recruits .

The funnel of players gets smaller and smaller as you go to college at top D1 schools. Better be more than smart Lax IQ and have great stickwork which many 5-8 to 5-11 MIAA players have.

Recent example is the ECD head cam video of shutdown of top recruit going to a big D1 school. Clear the D owns him. That will not get you playing time at D1 if you cant beat your man in practice. He still has time to get better, but he is supposedly the best player at this time.

Sorry your kid hasn’t gotten any looks/offers. Keep working on those stick skills. 😂

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parent of a '22 recruit (happy with results of his recruiting so this isn't sour grapes) - the 2022 class was so chock full of high profile 'coaches kids' it was a clown show sometimes trying to separate the talent from the hype. Off the top of my head there were at least 10 kids (primarily offense but there were a couple poles) who constantly appeared in podcast and IL media coverage. You want to hear a coincidence? The dads were also coaching at all these events, determining the lineups and playing time and also making sure that the best defensemen were put on their kids teams so that they didn't get shut down playing against them. Yes, most of them got 'highly recruited' to top D1 teams but I agree with the assessment above that "Most will not see field or are sitting on bench now. But they will be assets during practice and will have HS coach thinking highly of college program for future recruits ." The ordinary non-coach's kids who managed to get five star ratings are impressive IMO.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry your kid hasn’t gotten any looks/offers. Keep working on those stick skills. 😂

Will do ! So that is what you got out of that? LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Will do ! So that is what you got out of that? LOL

Pretty apparent you’re bitter over your kid not getting any attention so you bash those that did. Again tell him to keep grinding; D3 is there for him!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So sick of these high profile girl athletes as well. We got em over here too. They’re annoying and I hope it’s not just us in the player side that sees it. Do you think coaches can ID these annoyances as well? Tourney-“junkies”

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enrollment added:

31 F/S
37 JV
53 V

21 F/S
37 JV
53 V

25 F/S
29 JV
43 V

18 F
31 JV
37 V

20 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
26 JV
29 V

Good stuff. The program numbers are interesting. Some schools really do recruit a ton of kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does St Mary’s have so many lax players? Do they only admit lacrosse playing males?

Calvert Hall and Loyola numbers are crazy. You better make a good impression as a freshman, or have a transfer plan in place.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does St Mary’s have so many lax players? Do they only admit lacrosse playing males?

Calvert Hall and Loyola numbers are crazy. You better make a good impression as a freshman, or have a transfer plan in place.

I hear Spalding's JV was good last year. This might be their year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enrollment added:

31 F/S
37 JV
53 V

21 F/S
37 JV
53 V

25 F/S
29 JV
43 V

18 F
31 JV
37 V

20 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
26 JV
29 V

Good stuff. The program numbers are interesting. Some schools really do recruit a ton of kids.

Is there any overlap in these numbers? I know that sometimes players are double rostered on JV and V.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enrollment added:

31 F/S
37 JV
53 V

21 F/S
37 JV
53 V

25 F/S
29 JV
43 V

18 F
31 JV
37 V

20 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
29 JV
35 V

0 F/S
26 JV
29 V

Is there any overlap in these numbers? I know that sometimes players are double rostered on JV and V.

Not that I can tell. From a quick scan, I'd say almost none, if any.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Severn School has 850 total enrolled from PK-12 In the Upper School there is 420 total. So, total boys enrollment in the Upper School is about 210 give or take, not 425

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola numbers off, upper school enrollment 700-725

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spalding Varsity did well last year too. Looking good for this year . Ship coming soon

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enrollment numbers are a little high for each, but Roster numbers are what was posted on the website for 2021 season.
Makes the ratio of lax players at each school even higher.
Like many colleges these days, these private schools are riding lax players as enrollment builders. No wonder the MIAA leadership is toothless and told to stand down by the member institutions - Lacrosse is a main enrollment driver.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

STM JV won it all last year I believe

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Impossible. There is NO way that inaccurate info was shared in BOTC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spalding Varsity did well last year too. Looking good for this year . Ship coming soon

Spalding will be good this year but maybe 3rd or 4th behind CH, McD and maybe even BL.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Scrimmage and JV wins don’t translate into winning a varsity championship. Coaching hurt them last year. Don’t think they fixed that.

CH is coming.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Scrimmage and JV wins don’t translate into winning a varsity championship. Coaching hurt them last year. Don’t think they fixed that.

CH is coming.

CH fell apart when they lost one player last year. That doesn't smack of great coaching either. Especially when you have 110 kids in the program behind him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CH didn’t fall apart. They were a goal short of playing in the finals.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They were a 6 seed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They were a 6 seed.

BL was a 5 seed. Did they fall apart too?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They were a 6 seed.

Sorry Boys, Say what you want, Spalding takes the title this year .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They were a 6 seed.

Sorry Boys, Say what you want, Spalding takes the title this year .

They lost 5 starters. And replaced with what bunch of D3 guys maybe. Mighty Mouse going to carry the whole team if they can win a FO and make Defensive stop

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They were a 6 seed.

Overachieving and underachieving are real things.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Impossible. There is NO way that inaccurate info was shared in BOTC.[/quote]

Roster size numbers are correct though.