BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 37 of 45 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 44 45
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You guys are really uninformed . Full athletic rides do happen , I can tell you UNC , USC , BC , all have players w 100 % cost of attendance scholarships and there are many other programs that have the same . How because these schools have many players that the school was an academic reach and have parents w money so they are willing to be happy with the help getting in .

The reality is that people (in the lacrosse world) never want to believe any player is better or more deserving than their daughter. So, if their daughter was offered 20% they do not want to believe that anyone is offered more than that. If a player is told that their daughter needs to have a 31 or better ACT to go to HYP they will never believe that another player might only need a 28 ACT. There is one joker that was posting on the boys side that actually believes that the boys going to The Academy's and The Ivy's all had the grades, he does not want to believe that the coaches can help all that much. Why? Because his kid probably had very good grades (not good enough to get into a top academic school on his own) but was not a high caliber lacrosse player (which the parent can't understand) so the coaches were not willing to help with admissions. Same goes for scholarships, every situation is different, not every player / recruit is equal, not everyone gets a trophy. I would never say never, "rare" is more likely. From what I have seen, most coaches will not decrease a scholarship but they will increase if they feel the player deserves it. The above poster is correct, for many in the lacrosse world the prize is getting their daughter into a prestigious school that she would not be able to get into on her own, It's not just The Ivy's, Obviously Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, ND, Boston College... and don't forget about Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Penn State, Maryland.... It is not easy to get accepted to these State Schools from out of state. Not every kid has 95+ GPA, 30 SAT or 1300 SAT.... For many just getting in is great.

The real question is why do people care so much about what others are offered?

Agree. Also, there's a lack of appreciation in the comments for real financial need. It's not as if every lacrosse player has a wealthy family, despite the image of lacrosse. I know a number of players who have turned down spots at high rank schools because they were not the most coveted and therefore funded, and move onto a lower level team for more money. They end up being stars at their lower ranked schools too, where they were probably bench on top team.

Also, for those with a GAI of 150-180k. It can be better to take the financial aid than the scholarship. You can wind up getting 50% or more at Duke, Northwestern, Stanford. Coach will also throw in about 7% more

This is happening in the SEC too. Hoping that full amount that was referred to by Florida is beyond football! I think to give football players full amount, they will need to counterbalance with female athletes.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...with-significant-fallout-soon-to-follow/

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Football SEC huge revenue sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are really uninformed . Full athletic rides do happen , I can tell you UNC , USC , BC , all have players w 100 % cost of attendance scholarships and there are many other programs that have the same . How because these schools have many players that the school was an academic reach and have parents w money so they are willing to be happy with the help getting in .

The reality is that people (in the lacrosse world) never want to believe any player is better or more deserving than their daughter. So, if their daughter was offered 20% they do not want to believe that anyone is offered more than that. If a player is told that their daughter needs to have a 31 or better ACT to go to HYP they will never believe that another player might only need a 28 ACT. There is one joker that was posting on the boys side that actually believes that the boys going to The Academy's and The Ivy's all had the grades, he does not want to believe that the coaches can help all that much. Why? Because his kid probably had very good grades (not good enough to get into a top academic school on his own) but was not a high caliber lacrosse player (which the parent can't understand) so the coaches were not willing to help with admissions. Same goes for scholarships, every situation is different, not every player / recruit is equal, not everyone gets a trophy. I would never say never, "rare" is more likely. From what I have seen, most coaches will not decrease a scholarship but they will increase if they feel the player deserves it. The above poster is correct, for many in the lacrosse world the prize is getting their daughter into a prestigious school that she would not be able to get into on her own, It's not just The Ivy's, Obviously Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, ND, Boston College... and don't forget about Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Penn State, Maryland.... It is not easy to get accepted to these State Schools from out of state. Not every kid has 95+ GPA, 30 SAT or 1300 SAT.... For many just getting in is great.

Agree. Also, there's a lack of appreciation in the comments for real financial need. It's not as if every lacrosse player has a wealthy family, despite the image of lacrosse. I know a number of players who have turned down spots at high rank schools because they were not the most coveted and therefore funded, and move onto a lower level team for more money. They end up being stars at their lower ranked schools too, where they were probably bench on top team.

Also, for those with a GAI of 150-180k. It can be better to take the financial aid than the scholarship. You can wind up getting 50% or more at Duke, Northwestern, Stanford. Coach will also throw in about 7% more

This is happening in the SEC too. Hoping that full amount that was referred to by Florida is beyond football! I think to give football players full amount, they will need to counterbalance with female athletes.

Sorry but that's sooo discrimanatory - there are indegenous and poor, underprivileged kids that play lacrosse too. I don't see the woke crowd debating that ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Football… BCS 1A allows for something like 86 “Full” athletic scholarships that are Total Cost to attend, FCS 1AA allows approximately 66 Full - total cost to attend athletic scholarships. Pretty sure BCS can only offer Full scholarships, FCS may be able to offer partial.

The money they are talking about is in addition to the Full Athletic Scholarships.

The thought that Big Time Football needs to be counterbalanced with female spots is laughable, it’s almost insane. What would make you think such a thought?

At the Big Time Football schools (Florida, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC etc…) these programs generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the universities…, everyone is making money off the players…

Most other spots cost the school money, there is no comparison to Football or Men’s Basketball…. Nothing needs to be counterbalanced.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry but that's sooo discrimanatory - there are indegenous and poor, underprivileged kids that play lacrosse too. I don't see the woke crowd debating that ?

What in the world are you talking about? What is discriminatory ? Why are you bringing up Indegenous, poor, underprivileged kids?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are you actually comparing lacrosse to SEC football? There is zero comparison. Lacrosse is not a revenue sport for a college. In fact, usually the opposite. SEC football is a huge revenue maker for their colleges and frankly, for their towns. 90K+ attendees at most games. Top head coaches earn multi-millions. Many SEC schools have NFL level facilities and players travel by private plane. Many SEC football players enter the NFL draft and go on to play professionally. There isn’t anything remotely close in lacrosse. Professional lacrosse for both men and women’s teams can’t even make a profit and struggle for spectators. College lacrosse although growing will never rival college football…especially in the SEC!

quote=Anonymous]

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...with-significant-fallout-soon-to-follow/[/quote]

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Are you actually comparing lacrosse to SEC football? There is zero comparison. Lacrosse is not a revenue sport for a college. In fact, usually the opposite. SEC football is a huge revenue maker for their colleges and frankly, for their towns. 90K+ attendees at most games. Top head coaches earn multi-millions. Many SEC schools have NFL level facilities and players travel by private plane. Many SEC football players enter the NFL draft and go on to play professionally. There isn’t anything remotely close in lacrosse. Professional lacrosse for both men and women’s teams can’t even make a profit and struggle for spectators. College lacrosse although growing will never rival college football…especially in the SEC!

Not comparing them at all. This information about the new SEC benefits was provided by the coaches to a player with an offer at Florida. Title 9 equal access an opportunity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Happy to see Clemson picking up some commits.... Good for them, great for the sport. More great opportunities for the young women.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Happy to see Clemson picking up some commits.... Good for them, great for the sport. More great opportunities for the young women.

We all know the teams that finish in the Top 20 every year and the teams if they do not end in the Top 20 are right there....

What programs are on the rise? What program has the best chance to become a perennial Top 20 Team? Can Clemson get there quickly?

IMHO, Denver, Arizona State, Colorado, Dartmouth, Michigan, Rutgers and possibly Clemson have the best chance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hopefully the performance of their football team doesn't hut the recruiting. Can't imagine going on an official visit there and watching them loose when that is the biggest draw of the school!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This year is interesting but mostly more of the same. UNC will clearly be the best team again (yes I realize they lost to BC in the semis) followed more closely this season by BC . Cuse will round out the top 3 and then there is a bit of a gap in which you can insert multiple teams in no particular order such as NW, Duke, Princeton, MD, UVA, Loyolla, ND . The ACC will be the dominant conference again The interesting thing is I think UNC takes a small step back to the pack ,more so on the defensive side while I think BC may be a little better than they were last year overall. I think Stanford could take a step forward but they need to play some better out of conference games . I think SBU takes a big step backwards even with the best coach in the NCAA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This year is interesting but mostly more of the same. UNC will clearly be the best team again (yes I realize they lost to BC in the semis) followed more closely this season by BC . Cuse will round out the top 3 and then there is a bit of a gap in which you can insert multiple teams in no particular order such as NW, Duke, Princeton, MD, UVA, Loyolla, ND . The ACC will be the dominant conference again The interesting thing is I think UNC takes a small step back to the pack ,more so on the defensive side while I think BC may be a little better than they were last year overall. I think Stanford could take a step forward but they need to play some better out of conference games . I think SBU takes a big step backwards even with the best coach in the NCAA.

Don’t think Syracuse is a lock to be top 3 or in the Final Four. Loyola a notch below the other teams mentioned. Agree Northwestern, Princeton, Virginia, Maryland Duke, ND will fight it out to get in the Final Four along with Syracuse. Tournament Seeding will be critical, don’t want to have to play BC or UNC before The Final Four. Any other contenders or teams that can surprise? Michigan? Denver? USC? Rutgers?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hopefully the performance of their football team doesn't hut the recruiting. Can't imagine going on an official visit there and watching them loose when that is the biggest draw of the school!

Hopefully you don't pass you nasty attitude down to your kids. Can't imagine going through life as you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don’t think Syracuse is a lock to be top 3 or in the Final Four. Loyola a notch below the other teams mentioned. Agree Northwestern, Princeton, Virginia, Maryland Duke, ND will fight it out to get in the Final Four along with Syracuse. Tournament Seeding will be critical, don’t want to have to play BC or UNC before The Final Four. Any other contenders or teams that can surprise? Michigan? Denver? USC? Rutgers?

Florida?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?
Duke, Virginia, Rutgers, Michigan,Rutgers, USC, Denver, Princeton are NOT getting into the final four! No chance!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?
Duke, Virginia, Rutgers, Michigan,Rutgers, USC, Denver, Princeton are NOT getting into the final four! No chance!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?

Jacksonville may be the new top contender out of Florida!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?

I bet that you would have given JMU no chance back in 2018. Only time will tel, that's why they play the games... Pretty sure I read on here last year that no one was going to beat Carolina...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?

Duke , Virginia & Princeton all have legitimate chance to get to the Final Four. As good of a chance as Syracuse, Maryland Northwestern and ND.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?
Florida will not make it to the final 4. There is something about that program that they will not get over the hump. maybe its the coach or the culture of the program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?

Duke , Virginia & Princeton all have legitimate chance to get to the Final Four. As good of a chance as Syracuse, Maryland Northwestern and ND.

Totally disagree. They would be lucky to finish 5-10. Not in same league, but don
t take my my word for it, see what happens when they play the games. Big drop off after UNC,NW,BC,Cuse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?

Wow, way off.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?

Totally disagree. They would be lucky to finish 5-10. Not in same league, but don
t take my my word for it, see what happens when they play the games. Big drop off after UNC,NW,BC,Cuse

Pretty much hear the same song every year.... Big drop off after the top 4 (Pick 4 traditional powers) it is generally stated by a parent who has a daughter at one of the schools that they pick.

The reality tells a different story. Just looking at the past 5 years (minus 2020)

2021 BC won the Championship, they were ranked 12th in the pre-season poll.

2019 MD won the Championship, they were ranked 2nd in the pre-season poll.

2018 JMU won the Championship, they were ranked 16th in the preseason poll.

2017 MD won the Championship, they were ranked 2nd in the preseason poll.

2017, one of the pre-season Top 4 made it to the Final Four.

2018, two of the pre-season Top 4 made it two the Final Four.

2019, three of the pre-season Top 4 made it to the Final Four.

2021, two of the pre-season Top 4 made it to the Final Four.

on average 50% of the pre-season Top 4 actually make it to the Final Four.

During that time period there have been several close competitive games decided by 2 or less goals in the Quarter Finals which also indicates the drop is not so significant. It could be argued that in many cases a 3, 4 or even a 5 goal game is competitive and there is not that big of a difference between the teams.

Although I would agree there is not a lot of parity across the board in women's lacrosse, there does seem to be a bit of parity among the perennial top 10 - 15 programs from year to year. What is the saying? "Any given day..." I guess that is why they play the games.

Only time will tell, looking forward to watching some great games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All Lax101 interesting connection between two.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All Lax101 interesting connection between two.

Is there a point to this post?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Drexel looked very good last week in their fall ball play. Led by Hillier don't underestimate them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Drexel looked very good last week in their fall ball play. Led by Hillier don't underestimate them.

Fear The Dragons!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

The Dragons looked okay last year but they really didn't have a very difficult schedule. They didn't beat any Top 20 Teams, what is their schedule like for this year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

The Dragons looked okay last year but they really didn't have a very difficult schedule. They didn't beat any Top 20 Teams, what is their schedule like for this year?

Who did they play last week?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

I would expect Drexel to look really good against Binghamton, Lasalle and Marist - assuming that's who they played, going off Inside Lacrosse fall ball article. Drexel was a good team last year with several players returning this year. Last season they beat Towson 3x, Hofstra and Temple, who all finished ranked in coaches poll and ranked/RV in media poll. They also almost beat JMU who ended the season easily beating a ranked Hopkins team in Round 1 and hung with UNC in Round 2 as well or better than majority of most ACC teams did last season. I have no ties to Drexel or new coaching staff, but would definitely not underestimate them this season. Their ranking in the polls is earned.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

The beat Temple who finished top 20.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

I would expect Drexel to look really good against Binghamton, Lasalle and Marist - assuming that's who they played, going off Inside Lacrosse fall ball article. Drexel was a good team last year with several players returning this year. Last season they beat Towson 3x, Hofstra and Temple, who all finished ranked in coaches poll and ranked/RV in media poll. They also almost beat JMU who ended the season easily beating a ranked Hopkins team in Round 1 and hung with UNC in Round 2 as well or better than majority of most ACC teams did last season. I have no ties to Drexel or new coaching staff, but would definitely not underestimate them this season. Their ranking in the polls is earned.

Not knocking Drexel but they beat 1 Top 20 team (Temple #19) in an odd season that for all intents and purpose did not have Maryland, Northwestern, Hopkins, Penn State, Princeton or Penn playing .... All of which are usually Top 10 - 20.
We will see how they do this year with things back to normal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

Not knocking Drexel but they beat 1 Top 20 team (Temple #19) in an odd season that for all intents and purpose did not have Maryland, Northwestern, Hopkins, Penn State, Princeton or Penn playing .... All of which are usually Top 10 - 20.

Huh? Obviously ivies did not play, but NU made the final four. Sorry but Maryland and Penn State just weren't all that in 2020 and 2021, with or without covid. No one was saying Drexel would be top ten, just acknowledging they were a good team last season and well could be again this season. The only ranked teams Florida beat last season are Temple, Jacksonville and Louisville. The only ranked teams Loyola beat are Drexel and Hofstra. Were they also only ranked because things weren't normal? Don't know how Drexel will do this year, but you're implying they were only successful because it wasn't a normal year which seems unfair. Give teams credit when it's due, even if it's not an ACC or Big Ten team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Drexel coaching staff left and is now at Villanova

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

Huh? Obviously ivies did not play, but NU made the final four. Sorry but Maryland and Penn State just weren't all that in 2020 and 2021, with or without covid. No one was saying Drexel would be top ten, just acknowledging they were a good team last season and well could be again this season. The only ranked teams Florida beat last season are Temple, Jacksonville and Louisville. The only ranked teams Loyola beat are Drexel and Hofstra. Were they also only ranked because things weren't normal? Don't know how Drexel will do this year, but you're implying they were only successful because it wasn't a normal year which seems unfair. Give teams credit when it's due, even if it's not an ACC or Big Ten team.

Maryland finished the season ranked 9 and Penn State beat Maryland 2x… The point is there were six teams who are in the top 20 just about every year (Hopkins if not in just outside) throw in Dartmouth as well not playing any crossover games so it was not a normal year. If they were playing crossover games pretty sure the Top 20 would have looked a little different.
In a normal year you have to have quality wins in order to get an at large bid and SOS counts as well. I watched Drexel 3x they looked good but at the end of the day you have to beat good teams….

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

BC wasn’t all that in 2020 …. Can’t look at a season that was canceled and draw any conclusions because you don’t know how things would have turned out. Your reference is simply dopey.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Drexel had a great year last but what is with the change in coaches this year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

Why did Drexel hire a new coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Florida?

Wow, way off.

Such an ignorant post , everyone keeps hyping NW who would be middle of the road in the ACC . Tell us the teams who have a better chance at making the final four other than those named if it is so far off

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear The Dragons!

Can people just stop with the “ they played them closer than another team so they must be better “. Not picking on JMU but playing UNC closer than most ACC teams does not make them better than most ACC teams .

Like Reply Quote
Page 37 of 45 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 44 45
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard