BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 45 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 44 45
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
We had a coach give a week timeline. My daughter asked for more time and was told no bc the coach was worried about the next tier starting commit if they waited. A respectable reason but the next class there weren’t as harsh timelines.
You don’t want to lose offers but there’s enough interest your daughter should be fine with a coach rescinding. However if the school you’re worried about is one of your daughters top 3, then she needs to have a good conversation with that coach.
Early recruiting had it’s flaws but not one coach pressured my kid. She was also too young to know what she wanted in 9th grade and ended up having to wait until September 1 as a 2020
IMHO if a coach really wants your daughter—they will wait.

Why would a coach wait?

Coaches want players who want to go to the school and play for them.

Unless your daughter is a real phenom there are hundreds of similar players the coach talk to.

Don’t commit to a school that you are not comfortable with but don’t expect the coach to wait around so that you can look for a better opportunity.

I disagree. Many top rated recruits are on the radar for many of the same schools. These girls are visiting their top choices and will decide after they see 4-5 schools. The coaches know this and will wait. Why don’t you think anyone has committed to Duke, Stanford, Princeton, Penn, Syracuse, Northwestern, Maryland, etc.? We will see the majority of these girls commit late September/early October. My daughter is one of them and the schools she’s interested in have given offers but want her to see the other schools to make sure she makes the right choice.

Yes, top rated… that’s why I said phenom…
Every situation is different and there are only so many of those “top rated” recruits. The process really does sort it all out in terms of where players actually stack up vs other players.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been through this process a number of times. If you have been contacted on September 1st ( congratulations) your daughter is considered to be a top prospect. Coaches know top prospects will receive numerous offers, be honest with your timeline and visits and you will be surprised at how understanding the coaches will be. Some coaches may not make an offer until you indicate they are your top choice others will be up front and lay it all on the table ( always confused me , how can you make comparisons if the coach hasn’t indicated your financial package ) Once again congratulations and enjoy this experience with your daughter. Oh one other thing it’s really nice when you are all finished and signed. Safe travels !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info. My daughter landed right about where I expected, but is it really ‘top prospect’ to be approached on Sept 1? I feel like a lot of kids probably got calls. Maybe not? Ours were from programs in the 10-20 range and then lots of others beneath that but with appealing discussions regarding role and scholarship money. Anyway, mine is happy to be in the mix and looking forward to figuring out where she’ll be spending her college years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats up with Stanford recruiting?? Missing out on top recruits because they drag their feat, while getting second and third tier recruits. Bad plan

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats up with Stanford recruiting?? Missing out on top recruits because they drag their feat, while getting second and third tier recruits. Bad plan

Where'd your daughter land?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Their ranking also fell by 2 in US News. Wonder why? Scandals?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, the troll on there who keeps trying to knock Stanford - you're so relentless with your negativity it strikes me that 1 of 2 things is happening here. Either:
1) your daughter wanted to go to Stanford but didn't have the academics and got dropped (which makes sense because you can't spell or use correct grammar)
or 2) Stanford coaches ignored your kid and it's hurting your ego

I'm a HS coach (different sport) and this kind of toxic stuff is rampant among jealous parents. Believe me, it trickles down to kids' behavior as well, so do your daughter a favor and focus on something else! Stop embarassing yourself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, the troll on there who keeps trying to knock Stanford - you're so relentless with your negativity it strikes me that 1 of 2 things is happening here. Either:
1) your daughter wanted to go to Stanford but didn't have the academics and got dropped (which makes sense because you can't spell or use correct grammar)

I'm a HS coach (different sport) and this kind of toxic stuff is rampant among jealous parents. Believe me, it trickles down to kids' behavior as well, so do your daughter a favor and focus on something else! Stop embarassing yourself.
THIS^^^

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lol, love when people change the subject without answering the question! Stanford is still a better academic school than most, but dropping out of the top 5 was surprising. Just as surprising as them not actively recruiting the best players if they want to improve their program. Many top players that I know cancelled their visits because they were offered elsewhere first. Poor recruiting tactics, and they're not the only school guilty.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lol, love when people change the subject without answering the question! Stanford is still a better academic school than most, but dropping out of the top 5 was surprising. Just as surprising as them not actively recruiting the best players if they want to improve their program. Many top players that I know cancelled their visits because they were offered elsewhere first. Poor recruiting tactics, and they're not the only school guilty.

Maybe, just maybe, said Top Players do not have the grades or their parents do not have or want to spend the $$ flying out west to see their daughter play. Maybe the player or the parents just want to be closer to home. Who knows but please stop with trying to diminish Stanford or their Lacrosse Program, If you spouted your nonsense publicly you would be laughed out of the room. No dog in the fight but does being ranked 5 or 6 or 10 really matter that much? Stanford is an elite university with a very competitive lacrosse program, I'm sure they will not miss the players who cancelled their visits.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe, just maybe, said Top Players do not have the grades or their parents do not have or want to spend the $$ flying out west to see their daughter play. Maybe the player or the parents just want to be closer to home. Who knows but please stop with trying to diminish Stanford or their Lacrosse Program, If you spouted your nonsense publicly you would be laughed out of the room. No dog in the fight but does being ranked 5 or 6 or 10 really matter that much? Stanford is an elite university with a very competitive lacrosse program, I'm sure they will not miss the players who cancelled their visits.

Who knows why they did not get many top recruits this year as some have pointed out many top recruits are automatically a bad fit just due to academic and distance .The funny thing is if you include red shirt freshman their freshman class will be one of the top ranked in the country. The difficulty they will have is the same as USC ,lack of competition does not prepare them for a difficult NCAA tournament and the Inside lax over hyping machine will continue to try but until high school lacrosse spreads west it will be an uphill battle.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who knows why they did not get many top recruits this year as some have pointed out many top recruits are automatically a bad fit just due to academic and distance .The funny thing is if you include red shirt freshman their freshman class will be one of the top ranked in the country. The difficulty they will have is the same as USC ,lack of competition does not prepare them for a difficult NCAA tournament and the Inside lax over hyping machine will continue to try but until high school lacrosse spreads west it will be an uphill battle.

Considering Stanford is rated as one of the hardest university’s to get into in the US and has great lacrosse, no one should ever be diminishing it. Huge Congrats to any girl who has offers from here! Certainly cream of the crop student:/ athlete!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It should also be pointed out that they had one of the best recruiting classes last year... a tough act to follow for this next class. Maybe girls are looking for a better place for playing time, instead of potentially waiting 3 (or more) years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Considering Stanford is rated as one of the hardest university’s to get into in the US and has great lacrosse, no one should ever be diminishing it. Huge Congrats to any girl who has offers from here! Certainly cream of the crop student:/ athlete!

Haters gonna detest.... they can't help themselves. Simply put it's a character flaw.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree that it is an elite school, but they do not get the "cream of the crop" The best girls in the grade have already, or about to commit elsewhere. They did not even accept official visit invites. Not sure why, probably because it's too far.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the Stanford haters, do you realize how foolish you sound? Stanford is a great school with a very good lacrosse program why do you feel the need to knock the school or the program? I will not hold my breath waiting for the answer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree that it is an elite school, but they do not get the "cream of the crop" The best girls in the grade have already, or about to commit elsewhere. They did not even accept official visit invites. Not sure why, probably because it's too far.

Standford does not start classes till late September. Hard to show athletes campus with no students on it.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
[quote=Anonymous]

Standford does not start classes till late September. Hard to show athletes campus with no students on it.

The freshmen just moved in this past weekend. The 2021 class is pretty impressive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Depending on your definition of “cream of the crop”!? Mine is highest academics and good athletics! Academics first, athletics second. The academics part of the equation is what’s going to get them some of the best job opportunities in the country. A Stanford education will speak louder than most!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Easy BBP dad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early Top 25 is out:

1 - Boston College - Until they lose.

2 - North Carolina - # 2 about right, certainly Top 5.

3 - Syracuse - Top 10 but #3 ? Don't think they get to the Final Four.

4 - Northwestern - They will likely be back to the Final Four.

5 - Notre Dame - Too high at # 5, might not be Top 10 at seasons end.

6 - Stony Brook - As usual over hyped, will not finish Top 10.

7 - Maryland - Better than # 7, will challenge to get back to Final Four.

8 - Loyola - Solid Program, should be decent year but will finish outside the Top 10.

9 - Duke - #9 is about right.

10 - Florida - Will finish between 5 - 10.

11 - Virginia - Will also be in the mix to finish Top 10.

12 - James Madison - No problem with them at #12.

13 - Stanford - #13 might be a bit high, probably 15 - 20 range.

14 - Princeton - Ivy's back to normal, Princeton Top 10.

15 - Denver - Denver has been very good, could be Top 10.

16 - Rutgers - Looked good last year. Can they remain in the Top 20?

17 - Jacksonville - a little high but OK. Will be in the mix to finish Top 20.

18 - Drexel - Great year for Dragons last year. Can they build on it. Did they lose their Coach?

19 - Penn - Again, Ivy's back to normal #19 too low. 10 - 15 range.

20 - Hopkins - Very solid program, # 20 a bit low, think they will finish higher.

21 - Louisville - OK at 21

22 - Richmond - Too high. Don't think they will finish Top 25.

23 - Penn State - Whats up in Happy Vally? Too low at 23 more like 10 - 15 even with the transfers.

24 - Michigan - Way too low at 24. Not sure Top 10 but definitely 10 - 20

25 - UConn - Ok

Others? USC, Towson, Hofstra, Navy, Arizona St, Colorado, Dartmouth?

It is tough to repeat, Carolina will be on the warpath, a lot of changes at Syracuse, Northwester will be tough

Final Four: Boston College, North Carolina, Northwestern, ????

Fight it out..... : Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Princeton, Duke, Denver. Notre Dame?

Michigan is way too @ 24 Stony Brook way too high @ 6. Curious to see what happens at PSU, Drexel, Syracuse and Rutgers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early Top 25 is out:

8 - Loyola - Solid Program, should be decent year but will finish outside the Top 10.

18 - Drexel - Great year for Dragons last year. Can they build on it. Did they lose their Coach?

20 - Hopkins - Very solid program, # 20 a bit low, think they will finish higher.

23 - Penn State - Whats up in Happy Vally? Too low at 23 more like 10 - 15 even with the transfers.

25 - UConn - Ok

It is tough to repeat, Carolina will be on the warpath, a lot of changes at Syracuse, Northwester will be tough

Fight it out..... : Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Princeton, Duke, Denver. Notre Dame?

Michigan is way too @ 24 Stony Brook way too high @ 6. Curious to see what happens at PSU, Drexel, Syracuse and Rutgers.

It's become pretty obvious that nobody really cares about girls/woman's lacrosse much at all besides he parents of the players. The boys/men get all the attention and articles written about them in IL and LM, while girls are completely ignored. Very sad but true. The "professional" woman's lax is such a joke as well. Lacrosse can get your daughter into a great school. That's about it. Very sad!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early Top 25 is out:

25 - UConn - Ok

It's become pretty obvious that nobody really cares about girls/woman's lacrosse much at all besides he parents of the players. The boys/men get all the attention and articles written about them in IL and LM, while girls are completely ignored. Very sad but true. The "professional" woman's lax is such a joke as well. Lacrosse can get your daughter into a great school. That's about it. Very sad!

Nothing Sad about it. What are the rest of the Long Island High School Athletes looking forward to?

Sorry, I have never understood you or people who think like you.

Girls/women’s lacrosse offers our daughters more opportunities than anything else.

What is your point? Do you not want your daughter to go to a good / great university and possibly get some financial help?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early Top 25 is out:

25 - UConn - Ok

Great run down on the upcoming year! Very well spelled out. Let’s see how it all turns out? But, It sounds that poster certainly seems to know what they are talking about!

To the “sad” poster…. Getting into a great school with perhaps a boost from Lacrosse is nothing to be “SAD” about. It Will make for great opportunities and great futures for many girls who play the sport! It’s a GREAT sport!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early Top 25 is out:

25 - UConn - Ok

So…. Do you think the same regarding men/womens college-track, soccer, swimming, golf, rowing, volleyball, tennis, waterpolo, fencing, rifle, skiing. Your statement is foolish and in your words “a joke”. College sports is about the athlete and competing. Your lack of knowledge regarding college athletics is astounding.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What would be considered a good Athletic scholarship at a top 10 school? 25%? Are some girls getting 40-50 or more?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What would be considered a good Athletic scholarship at a top 10 school? 25%? Are some girls getting 40-50 or more?

50% is not unrealistic for the right player

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every situation is different. What they offer does tell you where you stand on their list.

The coaches # 1 will be offered more than the others, some will be offered a “spot” and nothing more.

Again, every situation is different, some would consider 30% at Northwestern as a low or not great offer . Others would jump at no $$ but a spot at Northwestern.

At Top 10 Programs which is really Top 8 because Princeton and Penn are two of the Top 10 Programs and they do not give athletic scholarships.

Only the top 2 or 3 incoming players at Top 10 programs get significant athletic $$. We are talking about maybe 15 - 20 players from the entire country.

Remember, Transfers are getting $$ as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25-30% is the norm. They have to divide 12.5 tuitions over 40 + players. The top tier players that have committed so far are getting 50% min and higher. But that is only for the very few.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

50% is common for at least a couple/few players in each incoming class. Couple years ago daughter had a few teams in top 10 offer. Several were 50% of full cost and one was 100%. Then the lower lax rank the team, and the lower academic rank the team, the more they seem to offer if the are trying to land top tier kids. When you get offers, make sure they are talking % of total cost and not % of tuition. Some coaches will offer 100% tuition (or some % of tuition) because it sounds amazing, but when you convert it to total cost it becomes a much less percentage of the total cost.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know it’s not Top 10 but if money is a concern, don’t forget that a recruit can get both athletic and academic money playing D2. I know several players who are playing at Top D2 programs and have almost the entire cost to attend covered by both an academic and athletic combined scholarship. And they are the super star of their teams which has made the experience a lot of fun for them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know it’s not Top 10 but if money is a concern, don’t forget that a recruit can get both athletic and academic money playing D2. I know several players who are playing at Top D2 programs and have almost the entire cost to attend covered by both an academic and athletic combined scholarship. And they are the super star of their teams which has made the experience a lot of fun for them.
Stacking athletic and academic can be done at the D1 level also

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

50% is common for at least a couple/few players in each incoming class. Couple years ago daughter had a few teams in top 10 offer. Several were 50% of full cost and one was 100%. Then the lower lax rank the team, and the lower academic rank the team, the more they seem to offer if the are trying to land top tier kids. When you get offers, make sure they are talking % of total cost and not % of tuition. Some coaches will offer 100% tuition (or some % of tuition) because it sounds amazing, but when you convert it to total cost it becomes a much less percentage of the total cost.

Also, at well endowed schools, if you make less than 200k, you're probably looking at half the school cost covered by grants, and then non-ivies can give little more on top of that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With regard to scholarship % I think the above advice does not take into account the fact that very good D1 programs are balancing 5 years of athletes into the scholarship pool this year and going forward for at least 2 more years. I think 50% is unrealistic unless you are a top goalie or lefty attacker with a million stats. Had a top 10 rated kid last year get 35% and the recruiting director said that was high for 'the new normal'.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Disagree. Of the group that have committed so far all of these girls are getting offered 50% minimum or greater. Fact.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Disagree. Of the group that have committed so far all of these girls are getting offered 50% minimum or greater. Fact.

Lol, definitely not all of them! FACT!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And you know this how?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And at least 3 from LI full rides.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And at least 3 from LI full rides.

Are you connected to a club? How do you know this?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

is your daughter one of them ? if not how do you know for a fact ?

Like Reply Quote
Page 35 of 45 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 44 45
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard