BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34
Re: Girls 2023-11th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You should honor your commitment.

That is a very myopic statement.

No wonder there is so many problems in the world nowadays if people think this is a very myopic statement....

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is thought of committing as soon as one of your top 10-15 choices comes through with an offer, playing super spectacular The last two years of high school and then committing at a higher choice on your list the spring or summer before college?
These 23’s are getting the short end of the stick with all of the Covid redshirting, grads, reclassifying, and transfers coming through. There three more years of this waiting game.

My answer is based off the following… What would you say about a coach that makes you an offer now, but is able to get a better player two years from now, pulls your offer and gives it to the other player?

Doesn't ever happen. Coaches honor their commitment, except in very rare circumstances which are usually the kid's fault.

Do coaches change jobs?

If a coach leaves and the new coach wants another girl, can they just pull your commitment?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NLI are signed fall senior year, so you can’t sign before your senior hs season, maybe after summer club tourneys, but you’ll also likely be wearing an armband, so not necessarily getting the eyes you might otherwise get off uncommitted.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Self edit: can’t sign AFTER senior hs season, unless you decline to sign your NLI in November of senior year

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is thought of committing as soon as one of your top 10-15 choices comes through with an offer, playing super spectacular The last two years of high school and then committing at a higher choice on your list the spring or summer before college?
These 23’s are getting the short end of the stick with all of the Covid redshirting, grads, reclassifying, and transfers coming through. There three more years of this waiting game.

That's a great question. You see this happen a lot on the boys side. If a better offer came along, I would take it. And you are 100% right, the grads are taking 2-3 spots away form our girls, especially at the better schools.

2020s will be seniors when 2023s are college freshman. The only class with the extra covid year by that time will be 2019s. Could be some redshirt 20s-22s, I suppose, but not many based on how many 2020s got playing time this past season instead of redshirting. Do you really think coaches are going to pass on 2023s they really like because for one year they might have a few 5th years or grad transfers? It is what it is and older classes are actually getting the short end of the stick more than 2023s. There's always a chance a program will pick up a commit or two late, but I wouldn't count on many players having the opportunity to trade up unless they improve significantly or didn't get much recruiting exposure before junior year.

All the 2020 Ivies will get an extra year because they didn't play last year.

Correct, this is well known so did not think it necessary to clarify. Vast majority of commits each year are not to ivies so won’t impact most of your daughters.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No wonder there is so many problems in the world nowadays if people think this is a very myopic statement....

Yes, 17 year old girls re-evaluating and possibly revising their decisions based on circumstances changing is definitely causing problems in the world…. Good grief, get over yourself….

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, 17 year old girls re-evaluating and possibly revising their decisions based on circumstances changing is definitely causing problems in the world…. Good grief, get over yourself….

Not undermining the need to adjust your plan but the poster was criticizing someone saying one should honor her commitment as "VERY myopic statement" as if commitment doesn't mean anything. I was trying to say one should not take commitment lightly, things can come back and bite you...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I will restate “you should honor your commitment” teach your daughter to say what she means and mean what she says. Taking others into account should be your priority. The world does not revolve around any one person. Your commitment today takes a spot away from another deserving student athlete. There are rare exceptions such as I rethought my major and this first school does not offer it. I can also understand if you don’t get admitted into the specific program in the university that you desired which would not allow you to pursue your career goals. Very few exceptions to this rule. Don’t commit if you are not all in.
Lastly I bet she really isn’t even that good.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I will restate “you should honor your commitment” teach your daughter to say what she means and mean what she says. Taking others into account should be your priority. The world does not revolve around any one person. Your commitment today takes a spot away from another deserving student athlete. There are rare exceptions such as I rethought my major and this first school does not offer it. I can also understand if you don’t get admitted into the specific program in the university that you desired which would not allow you to pursue your career goals. Very few exceptions to this rule. Don’t commit if you are not all in.

Thanks for the insight… I will be sure to check with you for for the acceptable reasons for changing your commitment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed. Keeping this principle will benefit one in the long term.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You can not be serious.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not undermining the need to adjust your plan but the poster was criticizing someone saying one should honor her commitment as "VERY myopic statement" as if commitment doesn't mean anything. I was trying to say one should not take commitment lightly, things can come back and bite you...

notIntelligent people tend to only see things one way, theirs. They fail to grasp the larger picture.

Simply put, so the small minded can grasp the concept, if enough recruits fail to honor their commitments, then college coaches will see no need to honor their commitments. Agreements of any sort go both ways. How’s that for being myopic?

A commitment is a commitment. A person is only as good as their word.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Incredible how the concept of commitment has to be explained to you over and over. Again, there is a process built on commitment. You have no ethics to even pose this question. Unfortunately you are probably passing your value system along to your daughter.

If you think there is nothing wrong with your thinking, share it with each coach during your initial discussion. Let’s us know how it works out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ to Yale! Here we go!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ to Yale! Here we go!

She’s the first Long Island D1 girl commit for the 23s right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Incredible how the concept of commitment has to be explained to you over and over. Again, there is a process built on commitment. You have no ethics to even pose this question. Unfortunately you are probably passing your value system along to your daughter.

If you think there is nothing wrong with your thinking, share it with each coach during your initial discussion. Let’s us know how it works out.

Are you responding to a particular post?

Why do you feel that you have to explain to anyone on here “the concept of commitment “? Pretty sure everyone understands.

Your post reads like gibberish.

The post which stated “you should honor your commitment” is in fact myopic. It is narrow minded, shortsighted and doesn’t look at the big picture or consider possibilities or future considerations.

The statement was simple, “you should honor your commitment “. Then we had a few posters chime in with their self righteous thoughts and opinions on the topic. Then we had the usual personal attacks and parenting advice.

The statement “you should honor your commitment “ leaves little room for interpretation. IMHO it is simple and even foolish. Some of the additional comments are idiotic.

The large majority of girls and parents who have made it this far know all about commitment. Players will make a verbal commitment based on current information, circumstances and opportunities with the intention of honoring that commitment. However, the reality is that information, circumstances and opportunities change and there is nothing wrong with reevaluating your situation and revising you decision / commitment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ to Yale! Here we go!

Besides to an academy yes. I think she is an exception and knew that it was her top choice and may not have had as much interest due to injury. I don’t think we will see too many more until girls get to make a few visits. End of September/ beginning of October is when we will see the majority of top recruits commit. Big decision weighing the positives and negatives of each school. That being said, Yale is a spectacular school with a lacrosse program that could be greatly improved with a strong recruiting class who would probably start on day one, and having her as the first commit may attract other top girls.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is myopic, only if you are self-centered and untrustworthy. Perhaps you don't understand because you live your entire life in this manner. Is this comprehensible to you now, or should I explain it otherwise?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ to Yale! Here we go!

Besides to an academy yes. I think she is an exception and knew that it was her top choice and may not have had as much interest due to injury. I don’t think we will see too many more until girls get to make a few visits. End of September/ beginning of October is when we will see the majority of top recruits commit. Big decision weighing the positives and negatives of each school. That being said, Yale is a spectacular school with a lacrosse program that could be greatly improved with a strong recruiting class who would probably start on day one, and having her as the first commit may attract other top girls.
I’m just happy we have the Ivy League to keep recruiting and red shirting old school

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you responding to a particular post?

Why do you feel that you have to explain to anyone on here “the concept of commitment “? Pretty sure everyone understands.

Your post reads like gibberish.

The post which stated “you should honor your commitment” is in fact myopic. It is narrow minded, shortsighted and doesn’t look at the big picture or consider possibilities or future considerations.

The statement was simple, “you should honor your commitment “. Then we had a few posters chime in with their self righteous thoughts and opinions on the topic. Then we had the usual personal attacks and parenting advice.

The statement “you should honor your commitment “ leaves little room for interpretation. IMHO it is simple and even foolish. Some of the additional comments are idiotic.

The large majority of girls and parents who have made it this far know all about commitment. Players will make a verbal commitment based on current information, circumstances and opportunities with the intention of honoring that commitment. However, the reality is that information, circumstances and opportunities change and there is nothing wrong with reevaluating your situation and revising you decision / commitment.

Very well said! Thank you. Every single situation will be different. Many different circumstances. Good luck to all the girls in finding schools that they will be truly happy at.
Some girls get to schools, and are miserable there. They shouldn’t stay, life is way too short! Best of luck to all of them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ to Yale! Here we go!

Yale actually got some very strong commits in the 2022 class. The 2023 commits won’t be starting on day 1. Especially with the extra year. The 2022’s were told after the fact to take a gap semester since the backup of players are already so long.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year a few yellow jackets also went to Yale on first day. Good for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The strong 23s are getting recruited. Let’s not make excuses.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ to Yale! Here we go!

Yale actually got some very strong commits in the 2022 class. The 2023 commits won’t be starting on day 1. Especially with the extra year. The 2022’s were told after the fact to take a gap semester since the backup of players are already so long.

Yale can hardly catch and throw. Amazing school, but a lacrosse wasteland. One or two strong commits do not make a program. If they get top 2023 they would start, and vastly improve the program. In fact the better 2023 club teams would beat the current Yale roster.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you go Ivy, It's Princeton, then Penn. Otherwise it's not competitive lacrosse. I get that many could care less about the lax, and are just lax just to get into the school, but it's not fun loosing most games. Yale is very weak and any top 2023 would absolutely start! But it is Yale and that is a win in itself!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look at the commitments over the last 4-5 years, you will see a trend of more and more kids choosing Yale, Harvard, UPenn, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, etc…. People starting to recognize the rest of these kids lives is much more important than the 4 years they spend playing lacrosse!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop trying to diminish it as though Yale could be greatly improved. The girl got into yale, one of the top schools in the world, she’ll be set for life, and she’ll be able to play lacrosse too, that’s amazing, good for her! Best of luck. Parents need to stop worrying about the lacrosse team, and start realizing the academics, that’s all that really matters. No one cares if you win a national championship, however every job you apply for Will care if you graduated from Yale. This site is so toxic and ridiculous…

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop trying to diminish it as though Yale could be greatly improved. The girl got into yale, one of the top schools in the world, she’ll be set for life, and she’ll be able to play lacrosse too, that’s amazing, good for her! Best of luck. Parents need to stop worrying about the lacrosse team, and start realizing the academics, that’s all that really matters. No one cares if you win a national championship, however every job you apply for Will care if you graduated from Yale. This site is so toxic and ridiculous…

Right on!!!! If any of their kids had a chance to go to YALE, they would jump on that. If not, they would be dense! Hmmm 🤔 That’s amazing and good luck to the commit. Lacrosse is not getting you a great job, it gets you opportunity to maybe get into a school like YALE, that maybe you may have not gotten into otherwise.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is myopic, only if you are self-centered and untrustworthy. Perhaps you don't understand because you live your entire life in this manner. Is this comprehensible to you now, or should I explain it otherwise?

Fool. Get over yourself and your self righteous nonsense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mostly agree, but you can actually have all of that and a good lacrosse team if you choose Penn, Princeton or Stanford (too far) or NW (far, but a real shot at a championship). The other schools that have chances at championships are definitely not even close academically. It’s a shame that Yale, Harvard and Columbia can’t get their lax teams straightened out!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ to Yale! Here we go!

YJ to Yale! Here we go!

The Yale commit was “set for life” day 1. Any speculation on the amount of the endowment her parents made as “insurance”.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clearly there is jealousy in these posts…a 23 got into Yale, that’s awesome! How about not trying to stomp on it to make yourself feel better. People are way too focused on the lax aspect of it & going to the “best” lax school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mostly agree, but you can actually have all of that and a good lacrosse team if you choose Penn, Princeton or Stanford (too far) or NW (far, but a real shot at a championship). The other schools that have chances at championships are definitely not even close academically. It’s a shame that Yale, Harvard and Columbia can’t get their lax teams straightened out!

“If you choose Penn, Princeton or Stanford or Northwestern “ …. Pretty sure those programs have to choose the player. Relatively very few players receive offers from the schools that you mentioned, it’s not as simple as “choosing “ …. The school has to offer you a spot.

As far as Yale, Harvard and Columbia getting their lax teams “straightened out” it will not happen anytime soon. There is not enough talent to go around, that is why we see the same 10 - 15 teams always at the top. It’s not just the three schools that you mentioned, a lot of very good schools have a hard time bringing in top tier talent.

Congratulations to the young woman and her parents and best of luck to all who are going through the process. Be thankful for all of the opportunities that this sport provides.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clearly there is jealousy in these posts…a 23 got into Yale, that’s awesome! How about not trying to stomp on it to make yourself feel better. People are way too focused on the lax aspect of it & going to the “best” lax school.

Who is jealous? And remember she did not “get in” she committed to the process. Other posters only suggested that there are other schools that are better or the same academically that have better lacrosse programs. As of now. Things do and will change, but historically Yale does not have a strong lacrosse program, and this girl, assuming she gets in, would start and could also attract other high end recruits. Good for her and Yale!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look at the commitments over the last 4-5 years, you will see a trend of more and more kids choosing Yale, Harvard, UPenn, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, etc…. People starting to recognize the rest of these kids lives is much more important than the 4 years they spend playing lacrosse!

Were you borne yesterday? Do you really think that kids and parents have only started to realize the benefits of attending one of those schools over the last 4 or 5 years? There are no more kids going to those schools now than there were in the past.

By the way, the schools that you listed are not for everyone, not every student athlete has the grades to get into those schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just out of curiosity. How does schools like Yale Princeton Havard UPenn etc do with financial packages. I know they are need based but how do they make it affordable for recruits?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bingo! There are always the jealous parents who try to elevate their kids status/situation by trying to tear down or diminish the status/situation of others. It not just done with kids that commit to better academic schools, it’s done to kids who commit to top lacrosse schools as well. There are a lot of delusional parents out there and when they realize that the college coaches rank other players higher than their daughter they go on the attack and spout their nonsense and make excuses. The parents will then try to justify and explain why their daughters situation is “the best” I.e.
She didn’t go to Maryland because she wanted to focus on academics … she didn’t go to Princeton because Princeton took a girl who’s father was connecting or her club coach pushed another player…
Bla bla bla…. After you have been through the process multiple times you here the same nonsense over and over…

The reality is that there will be maybe 10 - 12 players from Long Island who truly get to choose whatever school they want. Maybe another 10 who are at the same level athletically but maybe do not have the grades for the top academic schools.

So, when you see players committing to programs that are not traditionally Top 10-20 programs it is usually because the offers were not there from the top programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just wish the girls well and move on. The lacrosse world will be so much better off after the 23 parents are off the sidelines and off this site. Disproportionate amounts of you folks live through your kids. Get a life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

“If you choose Penn, Princeton or Stanford or Northwestern “ …. Pretty sure those programs have to choose the player. Relatively very few players receive offers from the schools that you mentioned, it’s not as simple as “choosing “ …. The school has to offer you a spot.

As far as Yale, Harvard and Columbia getting their lax teams “straightened out” it will not happen anytime soon. There is not enough talent to go around, that is why we see the same 10 - 15 teams always at the top. It’s not just the three schools that you mentioned, a lot of very good schools have a hard time bringing in top tier talent.

Congratulations to the young woman and her parents and best of luck to all who are going through the process. Be thankful for all of the opportunities that this sport provides.

Yes, all valid points. However Penn and Princeton have strong lax and top academics, Yale, Harvard and Columbia should be able to also. I guess it is harder than it seems. NW is really the only top 10 school that has the whole package, despite not being in a traditional east coast setting. Wonder how they do it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just out of curiosity. How does schools like Yale Princeton Havard UPenn etc do with financial packages. I know they are need based but how do they make it affordable for recruits?

Many factors involved… go to each schools website and plug you information into their financial aid calculator, they are fairly accurate from what I have seen.

They do make it affordable even if you have decent income (having multiple kids in college) really helps… wealthy individuals and high income earners will likely get little or no help.

Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard