BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 181 of 214 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 213 214
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'll never get the parents of juniors and seniors obsessed with winning a championship or who beat whom. Is your daughter getting exposure to her target list of schools? Is she enjoying the game?

Some choose to tryout for UA and AS for opportunities for exposure to often a large population of coaches and should know politics will be involved. Open your eyes, jockeying for a better position I.e politics is just human nature and happens everywhere in life not just lax.

Find the right club for your daughter that fits her aspirations, challenges her, and affords her the opportunity to be seen. Successful college coaches don't care about your daughters team wins and loses they care about do they fill a need for their program, will she fit with the current team dynamics, can she meet academic standards. Do you really think they care about the score on the flip board? Successful programs are evaluating whether your daughter is a team player, continues to play at 100% when the game is clearly already decided and is she an impact player on the field.

Amen!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Grizzlies lost to NJ and as I was told by NJ parents at the UA semi final game vs NJ (the best 22's and 23's did UA; mostly 22's) Long Island beat NJ's best 7-3 in a well played semi finals despite the pouring rain. Grizzlies got beat basically by 12 Steps Blue girls. Baltimore was upset by one goal to Philly. Yes Long Island beat them by 7 goals, but it was first game of tourney at 8am; we all knew it was going to be a tougher Philly team in the finals. The bench got tightened because it has too in the playoffs. Espo and Dave did a great job running 3 middie lines and 6 attackman during pool play, but with 12 min running quarters during the playoffs there are certain girls that need to be on the field more.. Philly I am sure did the same.
Everyone can say what they want but, nothing compares to UA underclass event when it comes to girls HS lacrosse; and the college coaches all agree

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not for nothing long island won the championship at UA. Dave did something right. All I hear is sour grapes over the one girl going to Duke who didn't make it. Get over it. Maybe she had a so so tryout and other girls played better that day it happens. So that tells me politics wasn't in it as much as everyone is making it out to be. Sorry folks I know alot of people don't like dave but he has a good heart and not out to hurt anyone. He is a very good coach. All these year Carol rose took her almost entire team so give me a break. Guess what Dave coached a championship team so kudos to him. I guess he picked the right girls!

Agreed! He did a great job, and my daughter played on AS. Hope he coaches gain next year! Will definitely be trying out!

The UA girls teams were on fire! So happy for the highlight team to being the ship home. This was the place to be !

Nope! Not the place. Where was the real comp. at? LI did not even have to play the top competition. Barely eeeked a win against Philly! Grizzlies would have chewed that LI team up and spit them out!!

someone sounds sour that they lost at AS / didnt even make a playoff game. go do your breathing exercises. you will be the first in line next year to register for UA and you know

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it just me but is the same girls on all these teams. I know it's about exposure. Maybe the time has come to limit the number of appearances each girl can make to allow for some diversity, Before you all start with the participation trophies comments can we have a real discussion.

“Limit number of appearances”? That’s not how it works. Who? Would limit it? There are obviously some girls who train and work harder than others. Do you limit the amount of medals you can win in an Olympics? No!!! You train hard and you can win as many medals as races you can win. That’s the way competition works. Now, opportunity/exposure is another topic. But, definitely limit is not the answer. There will always be a few athletes who stand out and are at everything. Prob. Means they worked/work hard to be doing the top events.

Maybe the time has come to limit the number of good players a college program can bring in. It always seems to be th
Is it just me but is the same girls on all these teams. I know it's about exposure. Maybe the time has come to limit the number of appearances each girl can make to allow for some diversity, Before you all start with the participation trophies comments can we have a real discussion.

Nonsense. How can you have a real discussion if you try to limit what can be discussed? A "participation trophy" is exactly what you are calling for. You are entitled to your opinion but so are others. Diversity has no place in competition.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not for nothing long island won the championship at UA. Dave did something right. All I hear is sour grapes over the one girl going to Duke who didn't make it. Get over it. Maybe she had a so so tryout and other girls played better that day it happens. So that tells me politics wasn't in it as much as everyone is making it out to be. Sorry folks I know alot of people don't like dave but he has a good heart and not out to hurt anyone. He is a very good coach. All these year Carol rose took her almost entire team so give me a break. Guess what Dave coached a championship team so kudos to him. I guess he picked the right girls!

Agreed! He did a great job, and my daughter played on AS. Hope he coaches gain next year! Will definitely be trying out!

The UA girls teams were on fire! So happy for the highlight team to being the ship home. This was the place to be !

Nope! Not the place. Where was the real comp. at? LI did not even have to play the top competition. Barely eeeked a win against Philly! Grizzlies would have chewed that LI team up and spit them out!!

someone sounds sour that they lost at AS / didnt even make a playoff game. go do your breathing exercises. you will be the first in line next year to register for UA and you know

Who didn’t make a playoff game?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Grizzlies lost to NJ and as I was told by NJ parents at the UA semi final game vs NJ (the best 22's and 23's did UA; mostly 22's) Long Island beat NJ's best 7-3 in a well played semi finals despite the pouring rain. Grizzlies got beat basically by 12 Steps Blue girls. Baltimore was upset by one goal to Philly. Yes Long Island beat them by 7 goals, but it was first game of tourney at 8am; we all knew it was going to be a tougher Philly team in the finals. The bench got tightened because it has too in the playoffs. Espo and Dave did a great job running 3 middie lines and 6 attackman during pool play, but with 12 min running quarters during the playoffs there are certain girls that need to be on the field more.. Philly I am sure did the same.
Everyone can say what they want but, nothing compares to UA underclass event when it comes to girls HS lacrosse; and the college coaches all agree

Traditionally, Under Armour Underclass has been the most competitive HS tournament. There have always been complaints about the selection process but most were sour grapes. It seems that last year some of the complaints were legit. Now that club directors have created their own event UA needs to do a better job with the evaluation and selection process. When my oldest first tried out there was no CR /YJ involvement and I think 17 or 18 of the players were Yellow Jackets.

I hope they figure it out because it is a great event!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't ever let facts get the way of a good rant.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those who have gone through the recruiting process, my daughter who is a ‘23 has received a few personal text messages from coaches the past couple days asking her to fill out a questionnaire. Some of these same coaches have also contact our club director to express interest. Since there are no more recruiting events this summer would you say this is a strong indication that she will receive offers? Has this happen to anyone else and not receive communication on September 1?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

“Limit number of appearances”? That’s not how it works. Who? Would limit it? There are obviously some girls who train and work harder than others. Do you limit the amount of medals you can win in an Olympics? No!!! You train hard and you can win as many medals as races you can win. That’s the way competition works. Now, opportunity/exposure is another topic. But, definitely limit is not the answer. There will always be a few athletes who stand out and are at everything. Prob. Means they worked/work hard to be doing the top events.

Maybe the time has come to limit the number of good players a college program can bring in. It always seems to be th

Nonsense. How can you have a real discussion if you try to limit what can be discussed? A "participation trophy" is exactly what you are calling for. You are entitled to your opinion but so are others. Diversity has no place in competition.

I know exactly what you mean but it will never happen.
There are players (mainly just the parents) who will fly all over the country chasing accolades. It gets annoying seeing the same sports family at all of the top competitions, trolling for highlights. They even have their own professional video production crews.
Consider it flattering that there are not enough lax bros in Colorado and they all want to come here to play. East Coast lettuce can never be trumped by Co or Tx lettuce!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are players (mainly just the parents) who will fly all over the country chasing accolades. It gets annoying seeing the same sports family at all of the top competitions, trolling for highlights. They even have their own professional video production crews.
Consider it flattering that there are not enough lax bros in Colorado and they all want to come here to play. East Coast lettuce can never be trumped by Co or Tx lettuce!

None of these events should be based on talent, everybody should get a chance.... Good grief.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No but you can't qualify for the same event more then 1 time.

No a participation trophy is not what is being called for. Take the recent UA and AS tryouts. Slots were already awarded by AS prior to UA. Why should a person then tryout for UA if the tournament is at the same time. Not saying let everyone get in. Once selected accept or don't tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey I got an Idea have only 1 so called All American Tournament . That way only the best players go . Instead of having all these money grab events.

Problem solved

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those who have gone through the recruiting process, my daughter who is a ‘23 has received a few personal text messages from coaches the past couple days asking her to fill out a questionnaire. Some of these same coaches have also contact our club director to express interest. Since there are no more recruiting events this summer would you say this is a strong indication that she will receive offers? Has this happen to anyone else and not receive communication on September 1?

For sure it’s a positive sign. The 9/1 contacts will not be offers ( for 99% of the girls) but a text saying hey we saw you, we like your game, let’s talk more.. maybe schedule a campus visit or a zoom so they can tell her more about the school the coaches etc, and they will want to know you and her also.
Don’t expect to be wrapped up by the end of the week…

Of course there will be some early movement.. I doubt The Grizzly 2023 will be around very long. And some LI girls will go quick too But for 99% of you it’s gonna be a little process. It will be stressful etc but your D gets to do it once… slow it down and soak it in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn’t realize that D1’s were allowed to personally text a 2023 student. I think colleges contacting clubs expressing interest is a positive sign but the personal text might be a violation of NCAA rules. My 2023 DD only communicates one on one at this point with d2 and d3. Hopeful for contact on Sept 1 from D1’s, but we are waiting to have our recruiting director put the effort forward with the best matches and expect to have a better idea come September.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn’t realize that D1’s were allowed to personally text a 2023 student. I think colleges contacting clubs expressing interest is a positive sign but the personal text might be a violation of NCAA rules. My 2023 DD only communicates one on one at this point with d2 and d3. Hopeful for contact on Sept 1 from D1’s, but we are waiting to have our recruiting director put the effort forward with the best matches and expect to have a better idea come September.
It’s a general txt w/ a questionnaire-there is no communication so it is not a violation. My daughter (a 22) had many through out last summer from 2 specific schools that sent her a txt w/ questions to answer. Those schools contacted her at midnight on Sept 1st.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For sure it’s a positive sign. The 9/1 contacts will not be offers ( for 99% of the girls) but a text saying hey we saw you, we like your game, let’s talk more.. maybe schedule a campus visit or a zoom so they can tell her more about the school the coaches etc, and they will want to know you and her also.

Of course there will be some early movement.. I doubt The Grizzly 2023 will be around very long. And some LI girls will go quick too But for 99% of you it’s gonna be a little process. It will be stressful etc but your D gets to do it once… slow it down and soak it in.

Yes. Duke coach sent out a letter to clubs stating interest today. But it will be a tough decision if their are multiple offers involved. Good luck to all the girls and hoping they all find a home they love! My question is…how fast do you need to move? Would love for my daughter to go on a few official visits before deciding.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats Duke parent! That’s incredibly exciting.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes. Duke coach sent out a letter to clubs stating interest today. But it will be a tough decision if their are multiple offers involved. Good luck to all the girls and hoping they all find a home they love! My question is…how fast do you need to move? Would love for my daughter to go on a few official visits before deciding.

The pace of it all is up to you! You are in charge of the process.. talk, be honest, visit, communicate. If a coach has real interest they want to get it right too.
I doubt it will be a sprint..a small group of kids will get the early offer to the big school but most won’t.. it will be a series of conversations first leading towards reaching mutual interest, then an offer and finally a verbal commitment. Visit the schools, meet the coaches, see the facility, the dorms & classrooms.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s a general txt w/ a questionnaire-there is no communication so it is not a violation. My daughter (a 22) had many through out last summer from 2 specific schools that sent her a txt w/ questions to answer. Those schools contacted her at midnight on Sept 1st.

Yes My 22 had this happen too via email When she got them she reached out to her HS coach who reached out to the college coach on her behalf to get the conversation started. It worked out well. Good luck to you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats Duke parent! That’s incredibly exciting.

Interest isn’t an offer… that letter while encouraging doesn’t mean your full ride is coming 9/1
Will they reach out? Probably but it’s just the beginning.. lots of conversations to follow.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes My 22 had this happen too via email When she got them she reached out to her HS coach who reached out to the college coach on her behalf to get the conversation started. It worked out well. Good luck to you.

Ok, got it. My 23 got these but via her sports recruits account. A text sounds a lot more direct/personally directed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have gotten many responses from schools referring us to their camps or prospect days and recruit questionnaires. I thought this was just a formality correct? I’m not getting hopes up for these schools?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have gotten many responses from schools referring us to their camps or prospect days and recruit questionnaires. I thought this was just a formality correct? I’m not getting hopes up for these schools?

The schools that are asking for questionnaires to be filled out probably have real interest, make sure you have your daughter fill those out right away. As for camps, personally I would wait until after September 1. That way if you fo go you will know if the coach is really recruiting your daughter. Many schools are trying for August money grabs I see

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot of them are just general emails, but my daughter received direct texts (not emails) from schools asking her questions to get to know her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes those are just formalities. If additional questionnaires come (not just the recruit questionnaire on the team web site) then you are most likely on a list of interest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If DI coaches are texting your daughter questions prior to September 1st, that is illegal. Questionnaires are one thing...texting to 'get to know your daughter' is not permitted prior to 9/1.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 22 daughter was asked to fill out questionnaires prior to 9/1. Some reached out, some didn't after 9/1. Even some of the ones that reached out after 9/1 didn't wind up making an offer. Good luck to all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If DI coaches are texting your daughter questions prior to September 1st, that is illegal. Questionnaires are one thing...texting to 'get to know your daughter' is not permitted prior to 9/1.

100% and if sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The schools that are asking for questionnaires to be filled out probably have real interest, make sure you have your daughter fill those out right away. As for camps, personally I would wait until after September 1. That way if you fo go you will know if the coach is really recruiting your daughter. Many schools are trying for August money grabs I see

My impression of the questionnaires was that it was just a standard response. Some seemed personally directed but others were very obviously auto-send. The ‘text’ seems far more of a direct contact, but maybe my kid just isn’t that much of a stud. She has received zero personal texts from D1. Holding off for camps and prospect days until after Sept 1. Those who have been through this process before obviously know more about how the process tends to play out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is not "illegal". It is a text being sent asking questions (what's your favorite hobby? What's your favorite food?). They do not respond after you reply with your answers - therefore there is no communication - therefore NOT illegal. These are top D1 schools, I think they know what they are doing, just saying!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is absolutely illegal to send 'one off' texts to kids before Sept 1st. It has to be a legitimate questionnaire. You can text a link to one--that is fine. And, just because people are at 'Top D1 schools' doesn't mean that they don't try to work around the rules or cheat.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As we approach September 1st it is important for those who have not been through the recruiting process put things in perspective and learn to read between the lines.

The coaches will make offers to the top recruits, coaches don’t waste time dancing around with the players that they really want. They may not discuss the financial component right away but they will tell the recruit that they want them and that they have a spot. Coaches want to know that the player truly wants to go to their school, once they know that there is genuine interest they will get into the details of the offer.

If a coach is talking to a player but not offering a spot it is likely that the coach believes they may get a player that they have ranked higher on their list.

If a coach goes dark or will not talk to the player it is very likely that the coach has no interest.

The recruiting process is very fluid, and where a player is on a coaches list can change quickly.

Remember, the player is not going through the process in a vacuum, the decisions other players make can affect your daughter.

There will be several “rounds” of players committing, each time a bunch of players commit the coaches reevaluate who is left and adjust their lists.

Many coaches will hold spots until next June in order to see what college players enter the portal after the college season ends.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As we approach September 1st it is important for those who have not been through the recruiting process put things in perspective and learn to read between the lines.

The coaches will make offers to the top recruits, coaches don’t waste time dancing around with the players that they really want. They may not discuss the financial component right away but they will tell the recruit that they want them and that they have a spot. Coaches want to know that the player truly wants to go to their school, once they know that there is genuine interest they will get into the details of the offer.

If a coach is talking to a player but not offering a spot it is likely that the coach believes they may get a player that they have ranked higher on their list.

If a coach goes dark or will not talk to the player it is very likely that the coach has no interest.

The recruiting process is very fluid, and where a player is on a coaches list can change quickly.

Remember, the player is not going through the process in a vacuum, the decisions other players make can affect your daughter.

There will be several “rounds” of players committing, each time a bunch of players commit the coaches reevaluate who is left and adjust their lists.

Many coaches will hold spots until next June in order to see what college players enter the portal after the college season ends.

Great information. Thank you. I believe my daughter will be getting offers from a few schools that are top on her list. She doesn’t really have a favorite (more like a few favorites) and would really like to see these schools and meet the coaches before deciding. If she visits a school and really likes it, she may want to commit, which is fine, but I wonder if she may like another school that she didn’t see better and not get the chance. I also am under the impression that if an offer is made and you don’t decide within a few days, that offer may be gone. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great information. Thank you. I believe my daughter will be getting offers from a few schools that are top on her list. She doesn’t really have a favorite (more like a few favorites) and would really like to see these schools and meet the coaches before deciding. If she visits a school and really likes it, she may want to commit, which is fine, but I wonder if she may like another school that she didn’t see better and not get the chance. I also am under the impression that if an offer is made and you don’t decide within a few days, that offer may be gone. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Not all coaches put a clock on the offer but they may want to know that your daughter has true interest and that the school is one of your daughters top 2 or 3 choices. As the post above says, coaches want to know that the player really wants to go to the school. Coaches know that players have to visit multiple schools before making a decision.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you for some great information for us parents going through this process for the first time. Appreciate your post. Nice to see BOTC being used for helpful and informative purposes! smile

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[
100% agree!! The reason coaches are texting questionnaires is because they equate responses and the kids who fill out the questionnaire as interested!
You need to realize that coaches recruit an ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ list or ( or tier 1, 2,3 or whatever they call it). A lot of schools have the same list of girls in their A group so once those girls verbal, the ball really starts rolling which is what happened with the 22s and they went fast.
My daughters received over 50 texts, emails, phone calls between the two of them, 2 coaches come in person to offer and were offered on calls as well on September 1. They took 4 of the 5 official visits(paid for by the school) in 3 weeks and had to walk away from offers bc a few coaches didn’t want to wait.
My advice is to take your time. If a coach really wants your kid, they will wait -well most will. Go where your child is really wanted—not only will it likely translate into a good offer but also likely into playing time as long as your child works hard and arrives in top shape ready to go!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[
100% agree!! The reason coaches are texting questionnaires is because they equate responses and the kids who fill out the questionnaire as interested!
You need to realize that coaches recruit an ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ list or ( or tier 1, 2,3 or whatever they call it). A lot of schools have the same list of girls in their A group so once those girls verbal, the ball really starts rolling which is what happened with the 22s and they went fast.
My daughters received over 50 texts, emails, phone calls between the two of them, 2 coaches come in person to offer and were offered on calls as well on September 1. They took 4 of the 5 official visits(paid for by the school) in 3 weeks and had to walk away from offers bc a few coaches didn’t want to wait.
My advice is to take your time. If a coach really wants your kid, they will wait -well most will. Go where your child is really wanted—not only will it likely translate into a good offer but also likely into playing time as long as your child works hard and arrives in top shape ready to go!

That’s some more really great information. Thank you so much!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if your kid is not that player...meaning that she is a great player but doesn't have any hype. We are hearing that there is contact between coaches (club and college ) for many of her teammates but nothing for her. Starting to feel that this might not happen for her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if your kid is not that player...meaning that she is a great player but doesn't have any hype. We are hearing that there is contact between coaches (club and college ) for many of her teammates but nothing for her. Starting to feel that this might not happen for her.

I think all you can really do is hold off until Sept 1 and see what happens. Has she reached out to coaches with film, etc?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think all you can really do is hold off until Sept 1 and see what happens. Has she reached out to coaches with film, etc?
But is what being told to you really true? One advise I received (& think is great advise) is you don’t talk about who is contacting your daughter. It’s no ones business.

Like Reply Quote
Page 181 of 214 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard