Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Stephen Markowski from Harborfields High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #30 ranked senior on Long Island and from Harborfields High School, Stephen Markowski for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Stephen Markowski was the focal point of the Harborfields offense after scoring 16 goals as a sophomore and having the experience this young team needed. He led the team with 33 goals and 15 assists for 48 total points average 3 points per game after consistently seeing double teams but Stephen helped the team to the quarter finals, losing to the eventual Suffolk County Champions, Comsewogue High School. After a great 4 year career, the All-County honoree has signed his National Letter of Intent to play the next 4 years at Providence College. Let's see what the future Friar had to say when we sat down with him during the season.

Q&A w/ Stephen Markowski

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Stephen Markowski(SM):: It was one of the toughest moments in my athletic career. We had high hopes for the 2020 season we all knew it just by the first and only week of practicing. It would have been our best year and who knows how long. Almost everyone on the team knew that we could have made it very far if the season wasn’t cancelled. Definitely one of the toughest moments. Even after the cancellation a group of us we go shoot a couple times a week and it was just tough.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Glenn?  
SM:: There’s a lot to choose from, but my favorite is probably ‘It’s the biggest practice of the season” he says this every single practice including the summer workouts. He walks around while we stretch yelling it and it kind of gets us ready for the practice.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
SM:: It definitely pushed us because we all felt like we had something to prove. We went out there every game and gave it everything we could. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the ending we were looking for but I couldn’t be prouder of the team especially with the circumstances between game practice game all season.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
SM:: Last season taught me to never take anything for granted because it can be taken from you in an instant. That's what our whole team did this year we went out there and just had fun and played our hearts out.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Providence College, and what other colleges were you considering?
SM:: As soon as I stepped on campus I loved it. It was the perfect size for me. The facilities were awesome. The academics are great and they give you a lot of help if you are having trouble. Most importantly Coach Gabrielli and Coach Francis made me feel at home and it was just the perfect place for me.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
SM:: I like to eat the same pre-game meal banana and a protein bar.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
SM:: Kanye for sure.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Steak
  • Favorite Movie? Goodfellas
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Giants
  • Favorite Athletes? Michael Jordan

See some of Stephen's career athletic accomplishments below: All-County, 4 Year Varsity Starter, 2021 Team Point Leader, Ranked Top 50 by BOTC 2 years in a row

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Morgan Zimmerman from Sachem East High School.