BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 58 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 57 58
Re: Girls 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It is a good point Hoco has obviously gotten better. Would you not want to be on an improving team? Which team would you go join where you would be in a better situation? It is good for all the teams, parents and players to have more good programs in the area not less. I am sure the coaching has played a role in them getting better. You can always walk away, tryout elsewhere etc. I would think people should consider clubs like Hoco, especially if you are "trapped" on a power B team or a bench player on one of the power clubs. Also Coppermine, Md United, 3d Frederick, and NEMS etc. The grass is not always greener but the opportunity is there to be a big part of a rising club rather than a role player on a big club or a star on their B team. Very few girls move from B to A on the big clubs. Getting meaningful minutes in close games on a "lesser" improving club> being bench player/ only playing in blowouts/ star of the b team on the big clubs. It does sound like someone has an axe to grind against Hoco.

As a family that left another club to come to HoCo, and since left for another club, we thought the families great on the team, however, we felt the coaching staff, their methods and their philosophy to be sub par for what we wanted for our daughters. So we we tried out for other teams when we could.

In our opinion, it was not just one coach (as someone else mentioned), but rather their entire staff to be subpar as compared to current team we are on. Almost like they were just checking the box for practices or games.

The style of play that was coached was more for recreation level than what you would expect from a club team.

We had to bite our tongue on a lot of issues while there but when we had the opportunity for some better coaching, we took it and are quite happy with our decision. No team is perfect, but our goal was to get best coaching possible.

Would say that HoCo does serve its purpose of a landing spot for decent players from other teams, but the coaching staff’s philosophy leaves something to be desired.

Hopefully they will improve given feedback and make the area more competitive!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Except HoCo has not gotten better if you look at results over the years. They've lost players to Hero's Green and M&D Black in the past few years. One big result over Skywalkers does not necessarily mean too much until they back it up this summer.

They also do not have an established track record with recruiting, which does play a role.

Clearly parents are unhappy with the organization. Wouldn't you rather they leave than have the constant negativity?

I think it’s hard if not impossible to leave and find another club mid year at most ages never mind going into HS. I am sure come next month, folks dissatisfied with 2025 Hoco coaching staff efforts, ability, knowledge, and attitude will be trying out elsewhere. I hope they find a place that is a better fit.

Exactly my point. Families will stick it out this summer then move elsewhere.

It is a shame because there is potential for HoCo in the market. But they still operate more like a rec program than a true club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HoCo is a great program if you are not going to play in college. They have a steady history of producing competitive teams in lower brackets, but no recruiting history. If you want to play in college, HoCo is not where you want to spend your high school club years. I’m not trying to offend, just trying to be realistic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That’s too bad, why do you think that it? They looked like there are some great athletes on their team from seeing a couple games during NGLL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They do have great athletes. But to be elite, and consistent, you need to factor in great coaching.

DD has a few friends on the team that have said they will likely be leaving after this summer. Where to they do not know yet. Sure it is fun to work on trick shots, but you also need to spend time on the basic elements of the game like the draw and non-dominant hands. Something that does not happen.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They do have great athletes. But to be elite, and consistent, you need to factor in great coaching.

DD has a few friends on the team that have said they will likely be leaving after this summer. Where to they do not know yet. Sure it is fun to work on trick shots, but you also need to spend time on the basic elements of the game like the draw and non-dominant hands. Something that does not happen.

Agreed. Per my previous post, the level of coaching and the commensurate style of play that was coached at HoCo was pitched for the prototypical recreation level versus what you would expect from a club team. The realization came to us when we watched some of the other teams HoCo played against multiple times, where we observed how these opposing teams matured in their game...e.g. they went from small ball, best athlete game, to a more advanced variation of the game akin to high level high school. These are the same girls in school with our players, so really removes variables as to what issue is in my opinion.

To each their own...

Good luck in tourneys this weekend everyone!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a parent on the HoCo 25 team. Is the coaching perfect? Of course not. Have they been on a positive arc for the past year? Absolutely. The vast majority of these attacks on the HoCo 25 Coach and team come from two malcontent parents on the team. One of them simply has a personality disorder it would seem and the other is the father of a girl that doesn’t get much playing time, which leaves him in a state of constant complaint. Wonderful girls, shame about the dads. It’s been a very good season to this point, great girls and great parents. The coaching is steadily improving and is responsible for their recent run of strong play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a parent on the HoCo 25 team. Is the coaching perfect? Of course not. Have they been on a positive arc for the past year? Absolutely. The vast majority of these attacks on the HoCo 25 Coach and team come from two malcontent parents on the team. One of them simply has a personality disorder it would seem and the other is the father of a girl that doesn’t get much playing time, which leaves him in a state of constant complaint. Wonderful girls, shame about the dads. It’s been a very good season to this point, great girls and great parents. The coaching is steadily improving and is responsible for their recent run of strong play.

Wow.

Having also been involved for a few years, I would question your narrative that just ‘two dads’ are upset with situation.

Hopefully the situation resolves itself but I would advocate that you tone down the personal attacks otherwise your message that the parents & players are great is lost…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow.

Having also been involved for a few years, I would question your narrative that just ‘two dads’ are upset with situation.

Hopefully the situation resolves itself but I would advocate that you tone down the personal attacks otherwise your message that the parents & players are great is lost…

How did HOCO do at Lax for the Cure?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not what I said - I said there are two fathers pathologically attacking the team online in this forum. I’m assuming you are one of them. Maybe time to stop the incessant and pathetic attacks. Btw - great weekend for HoCo 2025 Black in New Jersey. Beat two more top ten teams. Sure looks like a quality team to me.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow.

How did HOCO do at Lax for the Cure?

Looks like 3-2 per site. Looks like they did ok vs some teams but then a bit more lopsided when playing higher level teams?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not what I said - I said there are two fathers pathologically attacking the team online in this forum. I’m assuming you are one of them. Maybe time to stop the incessant and pathetic attacks. Btw - great weekend for HoCo 2025 Black in New Jersey. Beat two more top ten teams. Sure looks like a quality team to me.

Lady, you are barking up the wrong tree. Get yourself some help.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great games this weekend. Tough loss for Hero's Green to NY by one in quarter finals and even tougher for M&D black to lose by one in the championship to NY. Get them next time girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great games this weekend. Tough loss for Hero's Green to NY by one in quarter finals and even tougher for M&D black to lose by one in the championship to NY. Get them next time girls.

Tough for some teams to have to play 3 back to back games and then play a team that had a bye. Have to say M&D looked impressive. Watched them play Sky walkers while waiting for our game. Can't believe they lost the way I saw them playing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems our Maryland teams do not do as well against the backer defense that NY teams use. I bet they will learn........

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hoco 25 Black was 3-1 for the Tournament. Loosing to Skiywalkers Blue and beating Nems and Big 4 HHH who are 17th and 16th in the US club rankings (They also be MD United last weekend who is 13). On Sunday they agreed to help out out and play an extra game against Prime Time because they had no one to play on Sunday due to Yellowjackets withdrawl. Skywalkers had been asked to play them initially but refused.
They did loose to Prime Time but wouldn’t consider it a fair assessment because the game didn’t count and Hoco walked straight off the field from Nems and started playing PT. I believe they play PT next weekend again so that may give a more realistic assessment of that matchup.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure how much stock you can put into these mini playoff games. YJ played the style they needed to in order to win though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure how much stock you can put into these mini playoff games. YJ played the style they needed to in order to win though.

As a Maryland lacrosse parent I’m concerned. That was a B team that beat both Heros & M&D. One win could be a fluke, but to beat both?

That was probably only the 5th or 6th best team on Long Island.

Last edited by JesLax1; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, those teams play a tough backer defense that we do not. Our teams need to learn how to play against them. Also, one has to wonder if they had any guest players from the NY Spallina team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a Maryland lacrosse parent I’m concerned. That was a B team that beat both Heros & M&D. One win could be a fluke, but to beat both?

That was probably only the 5th or 6th best team on Long Island.

My D is not on either of those teams, but what are you concerned about. Who cares.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were a lot of comments that the other 25 YJ lamingello also had an unusually strong showing in their bracket.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, those teams play a tough backer defense that we do not. Our teams need to learn how to play against them. Also, one has to wonder if they had any guest players from the NY Spallina team.

its an interesting question where you have a team who has always struggled against other b teams from top programs and seemed overmatched from a talent and coaching perspective but is now dominating a bracket and beating the best of the best

kudos to those kids if its legit and those girls/coaches just worked harder over the covid year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, I agree it's concerning for us plus we have the refs trying their best to help us but we need to score more. Our D played well the O needs to step it up. We were really looking forward to playing Spinlies team but he canceled to watch his boyz team. He only had 21 players. I wish we knew sooner.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were a lot of comments that the other 25 YJ lamingello also had an unusually strong showing in their bracket.

and thats there c team

something is up

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes something is up, we don't know how to score against their backer defense! It is not rocket science. We looked like deer in the headlights against
their defense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team looked unusually large - as in number of girls on roster. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the Spallina team played with them. Some probably had hotels already booked, etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seriously are you complaining about the makeup of the roster of the YJ team? If you can't beat the B team with some of the A team players joining them how do you think you would have done if Spallina's whole team was there? Get better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Larger rosters help when playing back-to-back-to-backs (and another - to back for M&D).

YJ team had at least 27 players based on the picture alone. They could sub the full field and then some. In the heat it plays a huge role.

I don't even have a dog in the fight but you cannot ignore that fact.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Larger rosters help when playing back-to-back-to-backs (and another - to back for M&D).

YJ team had at least 27 players based on the picture alone. They could sub the full field and then some. In the heat it plays a huge role.

I don't even have a dog in the fight but you cannot ignore that fact.

27 b level players

someone should give that guy the syracuse job

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were 0 Spallina players on that team. Same girls as last year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

dont believe that was the same team that was down here pre corona

they werent disciplined or even that talented back then

not saying they were borrowed a players but something changed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hats off to YJ Janelli - Playing and beating both Hero's and M&D in the playoffs is a big accomplishment. I guess you play the style to win the game, but holding the ball and killing the clock is a boring style of lacrosse. Let the girls play!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hats off to YJ Janelli - Playing and beating both Hero's and M&D in the playoffs is a big accomplishment. I guess you play the style to win the game, but holding the ball and killing the clock is a boring style of lacrosse. Let the girls play!!

YJ at all ages is known to stall even when it's 1-0 in first half of short playoff games. It's pretty ridiculous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WOW, maybe training and practice creates more discipline, skills and IQ ? Hmmm … simple enough concept! Yes, they trained hard all last year! And, now it’s showing. Hard work pays off and kudos to them. Would love to see a Janelli/Spallina game. No longer a “B” team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? You don’t think Hero’s and M&D would hold the ball if winning? Really??? It’s a strategy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ at all ages is known to stall even when it's 1-0 in first half of short playoff games. It's pretty ridiculous.

i only saw the m&d game and would say they easily won the time of possession over yj so im not sure its accurate to say they stalled in that one. i don’t believe yj even had possession in their end again after they scored to go up 1. m and d was very patient maybe too patient on offense

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? You don’t think Hero’s and M&D would hold the ball if winning? Really??? It’s a strategy

Not taking anything away from YJ for winning, but winning these shortened games doesn't prove much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WOW, maybe training and practice creates more discipline, skills and IQ ? Hmmm … simple enough concept! Yes, they trained hard all last year! And, now it’s showing. Hard work pays off and kudos to them. Would love to see a Janelli/Spallina game. No longer a “B” team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not taking anything away from YJ for winning, but winning these shortened games doesn't prove much.

Please stop, when M&D or Heroes beat YJ you are not saying that.......it is what it is, YJ has 2 LEGIT teams at this age. Congrats to the B team!

Like Reply Quote
Page 24 of 58 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard