Senior Spotlight Q&A w/Erin Schaefer from Sayville High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #7 ranked senior on Long Island. Erin Schaefer for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Erin Schaefer has shown great dedication to lacrosse since as a Midfielder woman. She has decided to attend Stanford University because of it being one of the Top Academic Schools in the country, its location & campus are appealing, Coach Spencer's vision for the future of the lacrosse program, and belief in her empowering mindset. Let's see how much more she'll showcase during her college years.

Read below to get a closer look at the Midfielder:

Q&A w/ Erin Schaefer

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Erin Schaefer (ES): I was very disappointed that the season was canceled and all of our hard work in the preseason was wasted. I felt for my senior captains who I would never play with again. To keep spirits up, we would occasionally have team zoom calls to persevere our team chemistry. Personally, I started working out more during the lockdown, even though I was limited to a few dumbbells and an elliptical in my basement. I was still determined to stay in shape and keep my stick skills sharp with wall ball. I also probably rewatched every game from my sophomore year on Hudl at least 5 times out of boredom and desperation to play again.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Rose?  
JB: I would tell you, but it would have to be censored! 🤣

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
ES: Losing last season has made me realized that every day isn’t promised and every game could be your last. The break had me itching to get back on the field with my team and realized I cannot take our time together for granted. My teammates and I are even more motivated and disciplined through this condensed season since we have been waiting two years to play with each other and worked very hard to get to where we are now.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
ES: As a senior captain who has been on this team for 6 years, it is hard to realize that there will be a day where I’m no longer playing on this team. Since the 7th grade, I’ve grown so close to my coaches and my teammates I could consider them family. This year I am cherishing every game, practice, and memory that we have created. It will hurt to say goodbye, but I’m excited about new beginnings.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Stanford University, and what other colleges were you considering?
ES: I was drawn to Stanford University as soon as I stepped foot on campus for numerous reasons. For starters, it is one of the top academic schools in the country and the location and campus could not be more appealing. I love Coach Spencer’s vision for the future of the lacrosse program and believe in her empowering mindset.
I was extremely thankful for the overwhelming number of coaches who expressed interest in me. The select colleges that made my final list included Duke, Yale, Syracuse & Stony Brook.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
ES: I wouldn’t consider myself superstitious, but before the game my teammate, Natasha, braids half the team’s hair until her fingers get numb.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
ES: Pop Smoke

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Pasta
  • Favorite Movie? Can’t choose one.. Iron Man, Dark Knight Rises, or Shawshank Redemption
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Jets (unfortunately)
  • Favorite Athletes? Tyreek Hill

See some of Erin's career athletic accomplishments below: 2020 Under Armour All America LI Highlight team. 2019 U.S. National Team Development Program US Lacrosse National Combine for the U17 US National Team. 2019 WPPL Future LI team Championship winner. 2019 All County Award in Section 11 Suffolk County. 2019 U.S. National Schoolgirls, Long Island Metro team. 2019 Led varsity team with 63 regular-season points and was second in all of Suffolk County with 42 assists and led the team to the Suffolk county playoffs. 2018 All Division Award in Section 11 Suffolk County. 2018 Under Armour All American, playing for team Long Island Command and was an Inside Lacrosse featured stand-out performer.
2018 U.S. National Schoolgirls, Long Island Metro team. 2018 Nike elite 120. 2017 Attended multiple Division 1 college Camp winning multiple All-Star, MVP, and Tournament Champion Awards in the high school divisions. 2017 US Lacrosse Club Championship U14-Won National Championship with YJ 2021 team. 2017 Nike Elite 120 Featured highlighted performer. 2017 Under Armour All American, Team LI Command. Won the 2017 UA championship.
2017 Named to Suffolk County Varsity All-Division. 2017 Started every varsity game as an 8th grader. 2016 US Lacrosse Club Championship U13-Won National Championship with YJ 2021 team. 2016 Nassau/Suffolk All American game and won for the Suffolk team. 2016 Suffolk County Section 11 Varsity All-Rookie Team. 2016 Sayville Varsity Rookie of the year. 2016 Starter in every game on varsity as 7th grader.

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Tyler Schwarz from Shoreham Wading River High School.