BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,175
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23
Re: Girls 2023-10th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Look at the 23/24 roster from last summer UA team, a big majority of this girls are all productive HS players, some very productive. Those 3 girls are all producing in the power conf. reason they are 2-7 is because they only play the top 10 teams in Nassau; not playing a schedule that includes easy games. If they only played the A schools they would be 7-2......just the facts

Absolutely! Being a very productive 23 player in the Power Conference of Nassau is reason enough to be an UA selection.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not everyone can play a weak schedule like Northport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Northport just has too much depth. Wouldn't say they have the best players, just enough good ones, where most of the other schools they play all have a couple really good players but are also lacking at certain positions which Northport can expose. Plenty of 23s and 24s on other teams staring and making big contributions in both Nassau and Suffolk.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Northport just has too much depth. Wouldn't say they have the best players, just enough good ones, where most of the other schools they play all have a couple really good players but are also lacking at certain positions which Northport can expose. Plenty of 23s and 24s on other teams staring and making big contributions in both Nassau and Suffolk.

Didn't NP almost lose to Huntington?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Northort a very good team. Everyone else in Div 1 not very strong. Can be the weakest its been in 10 years.
Div 2 has at least 8 teams that would finish no lower than 2 in Div 1.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
180 girls tried out last year.

Out of that 180, how many parents do we think have a reasonable gripe? They select 24 players, how many other "deserving" as they say players attended the tryout? There will always be a small number of players who are capable / deserving who do not make it due to the inherent limitations ie "position" and "roster size". They only take 2 goalies, it is reasonable to say that there are a few additional goalies who are on par with the 2 that make it. Most years they most likely take 5/6 defenders, 6/7 attackers and the balance of the team is made up of versatile athletic midfielders who can play multiple positions. I am sure the coaches want at least two left handed attackers so if your daughter is a right handed attacker she is probably fighting it out for 1 of 4 spots not an easy task. I get it, they never should let parents of players who are trying out be involved but from what i have seen over the years UA has done a very good job at selecting the teams.

Realistically there are 20 - 30 players (probably 25) in each grad year from Long Island who are legitimate Top Tier Recruits. These are the players who receive offers and for the most part choose to go too the traditional Top 5-10-15 College Programs. We all know the schools: Maryland, North Carolina, Northwestern, Syracuse, Virginia, Penn, Princeton, Florida, Boston College, Stony Brook (although SBU skews the numbers) Notre Dame, Penn State. These teams finish the season in the Top 20 if not the Top 10 - 15 just about every year. Then throw in some of others like USC, Loyola etc... and these are the schools that consistently bring in the best players. Long Island does not send 50 or 60 girls per year to the Top Programs, the number is in the 20's just about every year.

There are probably 10 - 15, maybe 20 players who do not make the team that are as deserving as a number of the players who do get selected . It does not always come down to politics, and I have yet to see a player selected who is totally out of place on the team. Maybe I missed it but I have also not seen a truly Top Tier player like Sam Apuzzo, Kylie Ohlmiller, Jamie Ortega, Ally Kennedy, etc... not make it.

They can't take everyone so there will be some excellent players who get snubbed (but not many) the reason players do not make it is not always nefarious or political.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Out of that 180, how many parents do we think have a reasonable gripe? They select 24 players, how many other "deserving" as they say players attended the tryout? There will always be a small number of players who are capable / deserving who do not make it due to the inherent limitations ie "position" and "roster size". They only take 2 goalies, it is reasonable to say that there are a few additional goalies who are on par with the 2 that make it. Most years they most likely take 5/6 defenders, 6/7 attackers and the balance of the team is made up of versatile athletic midfielders who can play multiple positions. I am sure the coaches want at least two left handed attackers so if your daughter is a right handed attacker she is probably fighting it out for 1 of 4 spots not an easy task. I get it, they never should let parents of players who are trying out be involved but from what i have seen over the years UA has done a very good job at selecting the teams.

Realistically there are 20 - 30 players (probably 25) in each grad year from Long Island who are legitimate Top Tier Recruits. These are the players who receive offers and for the most part choose to go too the traditional Top 5-10-15 College Programs. We all know the schools: Maryland, North Carolina, Northwestern, Syracuse, Virginia, Penn, Princeton, Florida, Boston College, Stony Brook (although SBU skews the numbers) Notre Dame, Penn State. These teams finish the season in the Top 20 if not the Top 10 - 15 just about every year. Then throw in some of others like USC, Loyola etc... and these are the schools that consistently bring in the best players. Long Island does not send 50 or 60 girls per year to the Top Programs, the number is in the 20's just about every year.

There are probably 10 - 15, maybe 20 players who do not make the team that are as deserving as a number of the players who do get selected . It does not always come down to politics, and I have yet to see a player selected who is totally out of place on the team. Maybe I missed it but I have also not seen a truly Top Tier player like Sam Apuzzo, Kylie Ohlmiller, Jamie Ortega, Ally Kennedy, etc... not make it.

They can't take everyone so there will be some excellent players who get snubbed (but not many) the reason players do not make it is not always nefarious or political.

It totally needs to be run much better than it was. It Does not make people feel like it was a very fair chance. I think that’s why it’s getting more complaints! The way LI tryout was run last year was terrible. Coach’s for the most part know the girls before going there. So, very best so usually move forward. People just want their daughters to have a fair chance at tryouts to prove themselves

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It totally needs to be run much better than it was. It Does not make people feel like it was a very fair chance. I think that’s why it’s getting more complaints! The way LI tryout was run last year was terrible. Coach’s for the most part know the girls before going there. So, very best so usually move forward. People just want their daughters to have a fair chance at tryouts to prove themselves

A few years ago when there was only UA underclass team the tryouts were a 2 day event. Day 1 was a lot of 1v1 2v2 and small sided stuff, they did draw and ground ball drills etc. day 2 was all scrimmages with cuts at the halfway point.
Now they go straight to games, if your kid is a goalie or defender who ends up on a strong offensive team the ball may never get down to her end.
Would be helpful if they shuffled the players around a bit to different teams after awhile.
Also this year the tryout is about a week before the tournament.. barely time for a practice or two..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It will never be totally fair. If your daughter is a top player on her HS team, she will make it even if she has a so-so tryout. I don't necessarily disagree with that. Body of work plays a role, as it should.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like all the kids that played middle school lacrosse that made the team. Great body of work.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On point !

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few years ago when there was only UA underclass team the tryouts were a 2 day event. Day 1 was a lot of 1v1 2v2 and small sided stuff, they did draw and ground ball drills etc. day 2 was all scrimmages with cuts at the halfway point.
Now they go straight to games, if your kid is a goalie or defender who ends up on a strong offensive team the ball may never get down to her end.
Would be helpful if they shuffled the players around a bit to different teams after awhile.
Also this year the tryout is about a week before the tournament.. barely time for a practice or two..
Totally agree regarding how they do the tryout - that's why is shows that the tryout is not "legit". How can anyone be seen with that layout. They know who they are taking (minus maybe 2-3 girls) before the tryouts start - it's been admitted by evaluators. If your daughter is lucky enough to play for the "it" club team and/or "it" HS - then great and congrats. But if your daughter doesn't and never makes the team, it DOES NOT mean she's not the BEST. Making or not making UA in NO WAY defines you as a player. Period.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Totally agree regarding how they do the tryout - that's why is shows that the tryout is not "legit". How can anyone be seen with that layout. They know who they are taking (minus maybe 2-3 girls) before the tryouts start - it's been admitted by evaluators. If your daughter is lucky enough to play for the "it" club team and/or "it" HS - then great and congrats. But if your daughter doesn't and never makes the team, it DOES NOT mean she's not the BEST. Making or not making UA in NO WAY defines you as a player. Period.

So now it's "luck" and the team that you play for? Nothing to do with ability, athleticism, effort etc...? I am in agreement that parents of players who are trying out should have nothing to do with UA coaching or evaluating but these same complaints come about every year. Many of the parents of players who do not make the team are bitter so they try to knock the selection process and or diminish the accomplishment of making the team. I have been around this sport for a long time and I have had my children tryout for UA many times, only one was fortunate enough or strong enough to earn a spot on the team but I never complained when they didn't make it. September 1st is always a very telling time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So now it's "luck" and the team that you play for? Nothing to do with ability, athleticism, effort etc...? I am in agreement that parents of players who are trying out should have nothing to do with UA coaching or evaluating but these same complaints come about every year. Many of the parents of players who do not make the team are bitter so they try to knock the selection process and or diminish the accomplishment of making the team. I have been around this sport for a long time and I have had my children tryout for UA many times, only one was fortunate enough or strong enough to earn a spot on the team but I never complained when they didn't make it. September 1st is always a very telling time.
& you will see that A LOT of girls get recruited to TOP D1 schools that have NEVER played in the UA. As stated above, UA in NO WAY defines you as a player.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

& you will see that A LOT of girls get recruited to TOP D1 schools that have NEVER played in the UA. As stated above, UA in NO WAY defines you as a player.

Define a lot and define Top D1 schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Define a lot and define Top D1 schools.
Top 10 ranked D1 schools!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you think your daughter HAS to make UA to be recruited to a top 10 D1 school, then your delusional & I feel sorry for your daughter. UA is not the end all in any way shape or form.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you think your daughter HAS to make UA to be recruited to a top 10 D1 school, then your delusional & I feel sorry for your daughter. UA is not the end all in any way shape or form.

That one is out of left field... where did you see anyone say that they believe a player has to make UA to be recruited to a Top D1 school? That said I am curious to know how many LI players who have not made UA actually received offers from Top D1 schools over the past 5 years?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Summer Tournament Season is upon us.

Featured games for the Top 3 teams on Long Island are:

Live Love Lax
Legacy vs NXT and Skywalkers
YJ vs Heros
TG vs Grizzlies

Summer Genesis
YJ vs M&D and Skywalkers
Legacy vs M&D and Skywalkers
TG vs Monster and Heros

Lax for the Cure
YJ vs MD United and Skywalkers
TG vs Heros, Grizzlies, M&D and Monster

Lots of coaches will be in attendance its an exciting time for the 2023's.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Taylor Cummings @tcummings_21

Young attackers & midfielders, take note of this @CuseWLAX offense right now. Sharing the ball, heads up 100% of the time, making the defense spin and shift. This is what team offense is supposed to look like. No one cares who scores as long as the ball is in the back of the net.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, we will not see “a lot” of girls who do not make UA Underclass get recruited by Top D1 schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Young attackers & midfielders, take note of this @CuseWLAX offense right now. Sharing the ball, heads up 100% of the time, making the defense spin and shift. This is what team offense is supposed to look like. No one cares who scores as long as the ball is in the back of the net.

Wait, you mean your not supposed to run with head down through a triple team and turn the ball over 2/3 of the time when another girl is wide open? Asking for a dad on my daughters team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for this sound nonbiased comment. Good synopsis.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess we'll have to see if the college coaches agree with the Jesters coach and Thorn in September.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wait, you mean your not supposed to run with head down through a triple team and turn the ball over 2/3 of the time when another girl is wide open? Asking for a dad on my daughters team.

Ha... good luck trying to get the overbearing know nothing parents to understand the game. We all know the type “go to goal” “keep shooting”... I have seen posts on here actually applauding selfish play. You know the type, the parents who are unhappy if their daughter doesn’t score a goal even if the team wins. The same parents are happy when their daughter scores a few but the team losses.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous] It totally needs to be run much better than it was. It Does not make people feel like it was a very fair chance. I think that’s why it’s getting more complaints! The way LI tryout was run last year was terrible. Coach’s for the most part know the girls before going there. So, very best so usually move forward. People just want their daughters to have a fair chance at tryouts to prove themselves

Lucky?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Taylor Cummings @tcummings_21

Small price to pay to get your name in Newsday.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess we'll have to see if the college coaches agree with the Jesters coach and Thorn in September.

I should have been more clear, not knocking kids that don’t / didn’t make the Underclass team and not hyping the kids that did / do make it.

The reality is that a very limited number of players from Long Island will receive offers from the traditional / perennial Top 10 College Programs. Most likely 20 or fewer players truly get recruited / receive an offer from Top 10 caliber programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ha... good luck trying to get the overbearing know nothing parents to understand the game. We all know the type “go to goal” “keep shooting”... I have seen posts on here actually applauding selfish play. You know the type, the parents who are unhappy if their daughter doesn’t score a goal even if the team wins. The same parents are happy when their daughter scores a few but the team losses.

Unfortunately the media makes it all about the stats, and selfish girls get the big awards. Very sad that many "between the lines " workhorses are never recognized.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yet TC let’s one player on her team try and run through everyone and shoot. Pretty ironic

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Doesn’t matter where you try out. Conny upstate or md will whip your butts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For what it is worth, UA should probably support two teams from long Island (Nassau & Suffolk) as there are approximately 20 - 30 Top Tier recruits per year from Long Island. By having two teams they would most likely be able to get more of the top kids on the rosters. Both teams could be competitive. IMHO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Head down, through triple team, ball hogging, selective passing and ends up getting stuffed by the goalie 8/10 shots. They do realize the whole sideline cant stand them, right ?!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For what it is worth, UA should probably support two teams from long Island (Nassau & Suffolk) as there are approximately 20 - 30 Top Tier recruits per year from Long Island. By having two teams they would most likely be able to get more of the top kids on the rosters. Both teams could be competitive. IMHO

Worthless take. Maryland and Pa could take 2 teams as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately the media makes it all about the stats, and selfish girls get the big awards. Very sad that many "between the lines " workhorses are never recognized.

If you watched the Championship game, #28 for Boston College was the IMHO the reason BC won the game. 5 ground balls, 8 draw controls and 2 caused turnovers (one of which was a beautiful pick off into a clear). BC does not win the game without her performance. BC’s play between the lines was a key difference in the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Worthless take. Maryland and Pa could take 2 teams as well.

Maryland yes, Pennsylvania no.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To put things in perspective... Someone defined Top DI schools as "Top 10 Ranked schools". If we look at the past 5 full seasons of play, 2015 - 2019 and look at the Final Rankings there were a total of 20 teams that were ranked in the Top 10. Below is the list of teams that finished in the Top 10 (also listed How many year the team finished in the top 20)

Maryland - 5x Top 10
North Carolina - 5X Top 10

Boston College - 4X Top 10 (5X Top 20)
Princeton - 4X Top 10 (5X Top 20)
Syracuse - 4X Top 10 (5X Top 20)

Northwestern - 3X Top 10 (5X Top 20)
Florida - 3X Top 10 (5X Top 20)
Stony Brook - 3X Top 10 (5X Top 20)
Virginia - 2X Top 10 (5X Top 20)
Penn - 1X Top 10 (5X Top 20)

I would say the above are Top 10 Programs as they have finished in the Top 10 and are also finish in the Top 20 every year.

The teams listed below have also finished in the Top 10 but seem to be less consistent as they do not always finish in the Top 20.

Penn State - 3X Top 10 (4X Top 20)
Notre Dame - 2X Top 10 (4X Top 20)

Loyola - 2X Top 10 (3X Top 20)
USC - 2X Top 10 (3X Top 20)
Navy - 2X Top 10 (3X Top 20)

Stanford - 1X Top 10 (3X Top 20)
JMU - 1X Top 10 "National Champion" (3X Top 20)
Duke - 1X Top 10 (2X Top 20)
Towson - 1X Top 10 (2X Top 20)
Denver - 1X Top 10 (2X Top 20)

Just looked at the 2020 Newsday College Commitment list for Class of 2020. There were approximately 20 Girls committed to the schools listed (Excluding Stony Brook).

When looking at that top group which the number drops to around 12 girls from Long Island.

This years Top 10 - 20 will look much the same as it usually does minus any Ivy's.

I do not know how many 2023 girls will go to these schools who do not make UA but from what I can see looking at past years we will probably see less than 20 girls go to the Top DI Programs.

Every year there will be some players who get snubbed from UA for one reason or another but after looking at the numbers, most of the complaints are just sour grapes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some 2023 girls have had very nice years statistically in both Suffolk and Nassau. Letting their play on the field speak for themselves.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some 2023 girls have had very nice years statistically in both Suffolk and Nassau. Letting their play on the field speak for themselves.

Yes, some putting up big points against awful teams!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Except when you have to point it out on a public forum, then it's not speaking for itself anymore.

Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard