BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 7 of 220 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
2015 tryouts a joke. 5 coaches standing around watching 1 group. Others doing basically nothing.
The 2015 group was the 1:30pm tryout (evacuations along the south shore aside). While the weather was not horrific, how many players turned out for this age group?

There was a large turnout. I heard about 80 girls. I heard a lot of fooling around, joking and laughing by current TG players. A big turnoff for not TG players.

Yeah that's what incoming girls want to see...miserable, sad players having no fun at all from the current team, that will really want them to be a part of the team..???

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
2015 tryouts a joke. 5 coaches standing around watching 1 group. Others doing basically nothing.
The 2015 group was the 1:30pm tryout (evacuations along the south shore aside). While the weather was not horrific, how many players turned out for this age group?

There was a large turnout. I heard about 80 girls. I heard a lot of fooling around, joking and laughing by current TG players. A big turnoff for not TG players.

About what I heard: 70 or so girls. My daughter was there. Good reviews from her and my spouse.

As for rescheduling, yes, I'm surprised they didn't, but at the same time nothing is happening and we did our prep Thurs and Fri but I understand not everyone had that opportunity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
actually more like close to 90 players trying out and yes they were laughing and joking around because guess what they really like each other and enjoy playing together! If that doesn't appeal to you then that is not the team you should play for. Our girls actually do like to play lacrosse and have fun.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I admittedly am clueless with tryouts with already established teams, but what is the overall purpose holding tryouts if they have more than adequate roster size. Especially in the oldest groups 2013 and 2014. If the organization has no intention of making more teams, seems pointless, again I'm not experienced with how lacrosse works, know well on the baseball side so I know pretty pointless in the baseball world.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Yeah that's what incoming girls want to see...miserable, sad players having no fun at all from the current team, that will really want them to be a part of the team..???

That wasn't my daughter's take on it at all. My daughter had a good tryout experience.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter takes tryouts very seriously. Shouldn't they all?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think they all do but they are all friends and happy to see one another. Some real friendships have formed and that is what it is all about. Enjoying yourself and enjoying your team. At least that is what our team is about. Our girls get along very well and while they are there to play lacrosse they have a strong bond as well.Nothing to be upset over but yet wouldn't your daughter love to be a part of that.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
That wasn't my daughter's take on it at all. My daughter had a good tryout experience.
Thanks for the first hand report, Powderfinger. Despite the weather, the tryouts were surprisingly well attended based on the numbers we are hearing. If there are additional details from Saturday's pre-hurricane events, please feel free to share the details.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think they all do but they are all friends and happy to see one another. Some real friendships have formed and that is what it is all about. Enjoying yourself and enjoying your team. At least that is what our team is about. Our girls get along very well and while they are there to play lacrosse they have a strong bond as well.Nothing to be upset over but yet wouldn't your daughter love to be a part of that.

My daughter didn't mention the laughing and joking but said the girls were not friendly...at least no to the girls they didnt know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well they are 13/14 after all thats teenagers

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter didn't mention the laughing and joking but said the girls were not friendly...at least no to the girls they didnt know.

Any new group or situation your daughters walks into will be a similar situation, wether it's a new school, new town, new class or new team. It takes time to gel and make new friends with strangers. This was the exact situation my daughter was in last year when she first tried out for top guns. After a practice or two they get to know a couple girls, after a few tournaments, on the road and in the hotels with the team, they make freinds with tons of girls, even from the other teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah that's a good excuse!! Top gun is supposed to be better than all that, than all those other clubs. Shouldn't the kids they already have on the team be better than that too?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
yeah that's a good excuse!! Top gun is supposed to be better than all that, than all those other clubs. Shouldn't the kids they already have on the team be better than that too?

Are you kidding? Have you spent much time with young teens? I can guarantee the situation is the same across all clubs for that age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girl's are like that, cliquish. However the tryouts seemed more like a fund raiser for the organization, not a try out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I see it differently. I see the laughing and fooling around as complacency, as if they knew they were on the team and didn't really have to try. Actually as a bystander it looked that way too and having never seen them play before I was disappointed with the level I saw. Just an observation and opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The tryout was great. We are from another club and the parents of the current players were talking to all the "newbies" and gave us some insight to the club. We sure didn't see any of the negative stuff some have posted on here. Hope it works out for us cause my daughter loved it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girl's are like that, cliquish. However the tryouts seemed more like a fund raiser for the organization, not a try out.

Perfectly said! I was there and that is a great way to describe it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the results out yet?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Then again my answer to those is I guess this club isn't for you and you just don't belong. We all get along and have fun if that isn't for you or your daughter.... well don't quite know what else to say

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm sure that there are plenty of other teams that you could tryout for then

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

I see it differently. I see the laughing and fooling around as complacency, as if they knew they were on the team and didn't really have to try. Actually as a bystander it looked that way too and having never seen them play before I was disappointed with the level I saw. Just an observation and opinion.

Shoot, I hope you're wrong because the last thing we want is a team where girls are grandfathered in from the prior year. <frowning>

And to the other poster, no results yet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On the flip of that opinion, I witnessed a level of play that was extremely high, from the existing girls on the team and was very impressed with many of the new girls trying-out. Just an amazing amount of talent looking to get on board. Don't know how the politics of moving existing players around and/or bringing in new players will go, but we shall soon see. All I can say is that some of the teams were already very strong and all the new talent looking to join puts this club in a great position. Crossing my fingers my daughter makes it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On the flip of that opinion, I witnessed a level of play that was extremely high, from the existing girls on the team and was very impressed with many of the new girls trying-out. Just an amazing amount of talent looking to get on board. Don't know how the politics of moving existing players around and/or bringing in new players will go, but we shall soon see. All I can say is that some of the teams were already very strong and all the new talent looking to join puts this club in a great position. Crossing my fingers my daughter makes it.

I prefer to judge the talent of last year's team by last year's results. My opinion, the talent there was not so great. Not the bottom, but not the top.That said, I believe those who made it were to be contacted by Friday.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Results are out. Mine was in my spam bucket even though previous TG communications came to my inbox.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do not like that they told the kids if you don't hear from us you didn't make it. Not even thanks for trying or put results online.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Results are out. Mine was in my spam bucket even though previous TG communications came to my inbox.

Results may be out for some age groups, certainly not all as try outs are still underway.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I do not like that they told the kids if you don't hear from us you didn't make it. Not even thanks for trying or put results online.
This seems most unusual. Are you sure that tryout results were not mailed to everyone?

When a $35.00 tryout fee is assessed, shouldn't you expect at least an e-mail with the detailed feedback on your tryout?

Seriously, for the fees being charged, one might even expect a paragraph with some constructive suggestions for the player should they choose to tryout again.

BOTC believes that the entire lacrosse community, not just in this Top Guns thread, can provide a great value-add service in the tryout phase by offering such constructive feedback. If for nothing else, it might help the payer catch on with another program.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Results may be out for some age groups, certainly not all as try outs are still underway.
BOTC was led to believe that additional tryout sessions were still being considered into September.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BOTC was led to believe that additional tryout sessions were still being considered into September.

my daughter tried out in a tropical sirm. She was clearly told that if she does not receive an email by Friday she did nit make the team. She was put on a tryout team and then at scrimmage time they were told to sub themselves in and left on one side of the field with no one. Needless to say the girls that started played and the subs got on the field for 5 minutes. I don't want to hear that this us an exaggeration. I have nothing to gain by lying just stating facts for others to learn from. My daughter plays fir another club but having heard good thongs about TG we thought we would give it a try. This was our experience.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
my daughter tried out in a tropical sirm. She was clearly told that if she does not receive an email by Friday she did nit make the team. She was put on a tryout team and then at scrimmage time they were told to sub themselves in and left on one side of the field with no one. Needless to say the girls that started played and the subs got on the field for 5 minutes. I don't want to hear that this us an exaggeration. I have nothing to gain by lying just stating facts for others to learn from. My daughter plays fir another club but having heard good thongs about TG we thought we would give it a try. This was our experience.
Extremely interesting feedback. Certainly, our readers who can confirm of provide alternate observations are welcomed to do so.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Extremely interesting feedback. Certainly, our readers who can confirm of provide alternate observations are welcomed to do so.

Well, that's crappy. My daughter's group was not handled that way, and that's all she can verify.

I'm pretty sure the results that went out were just for the ages that tried out on Saturday. I mean, that'd have to be all they could do since no other tryouts have yet happened.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our observations, having two boys that played over the years and having experience with tryouts, I knew when we were there, the teams are established, and unless a girl is better than the top performing girl, and I do mean significantly beTter than 80 percent of the current team it was a fund raiser for the organization. After leaving I felt maybe one girl made it out of what I saw. We were also told there would be no email/feedback unless you made the team. Also asked would there be another tryout because of the weather situation, and was told no there would not be any other dates.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Daughter tried out last year and was sent an e mail that she did not make the team. The email did contain positive feedback about how competetive the try outs were and that every one who did not make should continue to play and work hard. she now plays for a small club that was competetive at all tournaments and is having a great time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Were there any spots open on the black team? Do you actually think they cut anyone from either team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
curious if any cuts were made on either team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Were there any spots open on the black team? Do you actually think they cut anyone from either team?

This is why people have called it a fund raiser. They took your money and had no intention on taking YOU

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are you referring to the 2015 black and purple?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
curious if any cuts were made on either team

If your not winning tournaments and you dont make cuts your just plain dumb or a bad business person. If you dont care about attracting new players and building a business then that is another story.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
paying $1200 and keeping weak players, call me stupdi

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed for those going forward, and this is from YEARS of travel team sports. If the organizations have no intention of forming new teams, tryouts are just a formality for those already on the teams. The girls/boys/parents are just wasting their time/money.

To be fair, (and of course travel teams would not have the benefit of the quick cash flow tryouts garner them, so I SERIOUSLY doubt any travel organization would do this), be upfront and honest with the kids and parents, tell them we have one/two/three positional spots for such and such position that is potentially available. Especially for the kids above the age of 13/14, time matters, and if the organization only is looking for a goalie or an attack etc, well then just advertise for such. In a perfect world.

Like Reply Quote
Page 7 of 220 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard