Get it on Google Play
Get it on Google Play
Less Than 1 Month Away from the Girls LI Showcase & Boys UnD1sputed Showcase! | Mid Atlantic Elite Showcase & New England Elite Showcase Just Released!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
CHAMINADE Lacrosse. Stories and news.
by Anonymous - 05/12/21 09:27 PM
Boys 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 05/12/21 09:10 PM
Boys 2028 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 05/12/21 08:44 PM
Westchester NY Youth Lacrosse
by Anonymous - 05/12/21 08:38 PM
Girls High School
by Anonymous - 05/12/21 08:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics2,364
Posts290,926
Members2,285
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 862 of 862 1 2 860 861 862
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #327753 04/22/21 12:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
A question for parents with college experience. If you’re daughter is a top recruit (top 20 ranked) has excellent grades. What type of scholarship should be expected? Ivy is also an option and we would probably qualify for about half tuition. Wondering if it the scholarship money would be be better at a non Ivy but top academic and lax school like NW, Stanford, Duke. Would appreciate any insight!


35% is a great offer unless you are a goalie,where you may get up to 50 or 60%.

For quick math, teams get 12 schollies, which average out to 3 per class.

Most top teams bring in 10 players, 6 or 7 of which get some $$. Assuming the goalie get 50%, then 7 players are dividing up 2.5 schollies.

Most of this ranking of players is a joke, so you seriously can’t go by these ranking lists you always see. Some kids belong on there, and some do not. Having a name on the rank list does not get you offers, although it may open doors to get seen. But coaches will evaluate players and find what they deem as top prospects. A true top prospect player will get 50% - 75% offers from at least half of the major top 10 programs and may get a full offer from one or two of these schools. This is for the first year with room to go to full based on performance. The next wave of schools are the ones that drift in and out of the top 20, say from ranked between 11-30, you will get more full offers, probably close to 1/3 to 1/2 of these schools. And even higher ratio from schools below that. But be realistic, only a small handful of kids fit this description. Think about the top travel team in the nation, and you may get 2-3 kids with these offers. The rest of the players on that same team will see about half that.

Here we go again.... "Ranking of players is a joke" ... Bla bla bla... While I would agree that some lists created by local outlets are questionable The Inside Lacrosse Senior Rankings (Top 30, 40) have proven to be pretty accurate. Not the actual order but for the most part the players ranked in the top 30 or 40 do in fact go on to many of the Top 10 - 15 programs and they do very well.

I would add that the amount of $$ a player is offered also depends on where the player ranks on a particular schools list. Not every top tier recruit is a schools #1 recruit. The player could be BC's #1 and UNC's #2 and Northwesterns # 4. The Schools #1 will get more than their #4.

The fact is that the majority of those Top 30, 40 players do go to the Top 10 - 15 programs and that is why the same schools always seem to be the same. There are maybe 10 - 15 programs that finish the season in the Top 20 every year (some in the Top 10 every year) then there are another 10 or so teams that bounce in and out from time to time.

It is not 100% accurate but there is a definite correlation between the number of "IL top 30,40" recruits a program gets and how that program performs over time. The Top Programs bring in the "Top Recruits" and the cycle repeats itself.

I think the lists are for the most part a good indicator. What you have to remember is that it's not the end all be all. If there is a top 100 list and each top 20 school takes 10 recruits as stated above that means there are 100 top 20 recruits who were not on the top 100 list.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #327759 04/22/21 01:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
A question for parents with college experience. If you’re daughter is a top recruit (top 20 ranked) has excellent grades. What type of scholarship should be expected? Ivy is also an option and we would probably qualify for about half tuition. Wondering if it the scholarship money would be be better at a non Ivy but top academic and lax school like NW, Stanford, Duke. Would appreciate any insight!


35% is a great offer unless you are a goalie,where you may get up to 50 or 60%.

For quick math, teams get 12 schollies, which average out to 3 per class.

Most top teams bring in 10 players, 6 or 7 of which get some $$. Assuming the goalie get 50%, then 7 players are dividing up 2.5 schollies.

Most of this ranking of players is a joke, so you seriously can’t go by these ranking lists you always see. Some kids belong on there, and some do not. Having a name on the rank list does not get you offers, although it may open doors to get seen. But coaches will evaluate players and find what they deem as top prospects. A true top prospect player will get 50% - 75% offers from at least half of the major top 10 programs and may get a full offer from one or two of these schools. This is for the first year with room to go to full based on performance. The next wave of schools are the ones that drift in and out of the top 20, say from ranked between 11-30, you will get more full offers, probably close to 1/3 to 1/2 of these schools. And even higher ratio from schools below that. But be realistic, only a small handful of kids fit this description. Think about the top travel team in the nation, and you may get 2-3 kids with these offers. The rest of the players on that same team will see about half that.

Here we go again.... "Ranking of players is a joke" ... Bla bla bla... While I would agree that some lists created by local outlets are questionable The Inside Lacrosse Senior Rankings (Top 30, 40) have proven to be pretty accurate. Not the actual order but for the most part the players ranked in the top 30 or 40 do in fact go on to many of the Top 10 - 15 programs and they do very well.

I would add that the amount of $$ a player is offered also depends on where the player ranks on a particular schools list. Not every top tier recruit is a schools #1 recruit. The player could be BC's #1 and UNC's #2 and Northwesterns # 4. The Schools #1 will get more than their #4.

The fact is that the majority of those Top 30, 40 players do go to the Top 10 - 15 programs and that is why the same schools always seem to be the same. There are maybe 10 - 15 programs that finish the season in the Top 20 every year (some in the Top 10 every year) then there are another 10 or so teams that bounce in and out from time to time.

It is not 100% accurate but there is a definite correlation between the number of "IL top 30,40" recruits a program gets and how that program performs over time. The Top Programs bring in the "Top Recruits" and the cycle repeats itself.

I think the lists are for the most part a good indicator. What you have to remember is that it's not the end all be all. If there is a top 100 list and each top 20 school takes 10 recruits as stated above that means there are 100 top 20 recruits who were not on the top 100 list.

Oh boy.... you are confusing the topic.... By “Top 20” recruit the original poster was indicating that the player was “Ranked in the Top 20 recruits” for her graduation year. I will assume “Inside Lacrosse Ranking”. Going to a Top 20 type program does not make the player a “Top 20” recruit.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #327760 04/22/21 01:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
A question for parents with college experience. If you’re daughter is a top recruit (top 20 ranked) has excellent grades. What type of scholarship should be expected? Ivy is also an option and we would probably qualify for about half tuition. Wondering if it the scholarship money would be be better at a non Ivy but top academic and lax school like NW, Stanford, Duke. Would appreciate any insight!


35% is a great offer unless you are a goalie,where you may get up to 50 or 60%.

For quick math, teams get 12 schollies, which average out to 3 per class.

Most top teams bring in 10 players, 6 or 7 of which get some $$. Assuming the goalie get 50%, then 7 players are dividing up 2.5 schollies.

Most of this ranking of players is a joke, so you seriously can’t go by these ranking lists you always see. Some kids belong on there, and some do not. Having a name on the rank list does not get you offers, although it may open doors to get seen. But coaches will evaluate players and find what they deem as top prospects. A true top prospect player will get 50% - 75% offers from at least half of the major top 10 programs and may get a full offer from one or two of these schools. This is for the first year with room to go to full based on performance. The next wave of schools are the ones that drift in and out of the top 20, say from ranked between 11-30, you will get more full offers, probably close to 1/3 to 1/2 of these schools. And even higher ratio from schools below that. But be realistic, only a small handful of kids fit this description. Think about the top travel team in the nation, and you may get 2-3 kids with these offers. The rest of the players on that same team will see about half that.

Here we go again.... "Ranking of players is a joke" ... Bla bla bla... While I would agree that some lists created by local outlets are questionable The Inside Lacrosse Senior Rankings (Top 30, 40) have proven to be pretty accurate. Not the actual order but for the most part the players ranked in the top 30 or 40 do in fact go on to many of the Top 10 - 15 programs and they do very well.

I would add that the amount of $$ a player is offered also depends on where the player ranks on a particular schools list. Not every top tier recruit is a schools #1 recruit. The player could be BC's #1 and UNC's #2 and Northwesterns # 4. The Schools #1 will get more than their #4.

The fact is that the majority of those Top 30, 40 players do go to the Top 10 - 15 programs and that is why the same schools always seem to be the same. There are maybe 10 - 15 programs that finish the season in the Top 20 every year (some in the Top 10 every year) then there are another 10 or so teams that bounce in and out from time to time.

It is not 100% accurate but there is a definite correlation between the number of "IL top 30,40" recruits a program gets and how that program performs over time. The Top Programs bring in the "Top Recruits" and the cycle repeats itself.

I think the lists are for the most part a good indicator. What you have to remember is that it's not the end all be all. If there is a top 100 list and each top 20 school takes 10 recruits as stated above that means there are 100 top 20 recruits who were not on the top 100 list.

Oh boy.... you are confusing the topic.... By “Top 20” recruit the original poster was indicating that the player was “Ranked in the Top 20 recruits” for her graduation year. I will assume “Inside Lacrosse Ranking”. Going to a Top 20 type program does not make the player a “Top 20” recruit.

I get that. I was referring to the rankings are a joke comment. sorry for the confusion.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
BoardLord #327771 04/22/21 03:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You do have to remember that not all programs are fully funded and those that are fully funded usually hold some money back for a rainy day or that close to full ride very special kid. With my daughter i would say only 5 kids got partials and the other 7 kids got a roster spot but no cash.

teams get UP TO 12 scholarships, which average out to 3 per class.
goalies can get up to 50- 90%. So one is gone
Most top teams bring in 12 players, 5 or 6 are dividing up 2 scholarships.
Coach needs to hold some money in case one of the 7 players a year who isn't getting any money earns some
On most teams there are more girls not getting money then those that are.

KEEP YOUR GRADES UP! Academic money is way easier to get and there is more of it

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #327777 04/22/21 06:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You do have to remember that not all programs are fully funded and those that are fully funded usually hold some money back for a rainy day or that close to full ride very special kid. With my daughter i would say only 5 kids got partials and the other 7 kids got a roster spot but no cash.

teams get UP TO 12 scholarships, which average out to 3 per class.
goalies can get up to 50- 90%. So one is gone
Most top teams bring in 12 players, 5 or 6 are dividing up 2 scholarships.
Coach needs to hold some money in case one of the 7 players a year who isn't getting any money earns some
On most teams there are more girls not getting money then those that are.

KEEP YOUR GRADES UP! Academic money is way easier to get and there is more of it

More nonsense, it never ends on here, people just post whatever they want with no basis on reality.

Here are the actual numbers of players that Teams brought in from 2017 - 2020. I looked at UNC, BC, Northwestern, Maryland, Princeton and Penn as they are "Top Teams" in Three of the best conferences ACC, Big Ten and Ivy. And yes, I know the Ivy's don't give scholarships, I just wanted to see how many recruits they brought in.

Number of recruits per year:

UNC 2017: 9
UNC 2018: 8
UNC 2019: 8 + 1 walk-on
UNC 2020: 8

BC 2019: 6
BC 2018: 7
BC 2019: 7
BC 2020: 11

MD 2017: 9
MD 2018: 9
MD 2019: 9
MD 2020: 11

Northwestern 2017: 8
Northwestern 2018: 11
Northwestern 2019: 7
Northwestern 2020: 12

Princeton 2017: 7
Princeton 2018: 7
Princeton 2019: 9
Princeton 2020: 9

Penn 2017: 10
Penn 2018: 11
Penn 2019: 11
Penn 2020: 11

Looks like teams on average bring in 8-9 recruits per year.

As far as goalies go... Not every goalie is a Top Tier Goalie and teams do not prioritize goalies in every class. No coach wants to tie up scholarship dollars on players who are sitting on the bench (only one goalie plays at a time).

Your "7 players a year who aren't getting money" is also nonsense. Every team and every year is different so your numbers do not hold water.

The reality is that you have no idea who is getting money or how much they are getting on any team.

It doesn't look like you even have a clue.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
BoardLord #327818 04/23/21 09:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how do the numbers shake out outside the top 15 because that's where most of the players end up?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #327826 04/23/21 09:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
how do the numbers shake out outside the top 15 because that's where most of the players end up?

Thats a pretty broad question, you are talking about 100 plus teams.

The discussion was started by the parent of a player who is ranked in the "Top 20" of recruits. Players of that caliber choose to go to Top 10 - 20 caliber programs every time.

Just looked at some schools for 2018 or 2019

Mercer 2019: 7

Columbia 2019: 7

Drexel 2018: 4

Bucknell 2018: 10

Elon 2018: 8

Colorado 2018: 10

From what I have seen, The average number of recruits at any given program is 8 - 9. Most schools keep a roster 30 - 35. 2021 may be different due to pandemic, time will tell what teams do going forward.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #327845 04/23/21 10:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
A question for parents with college experience. If you’re daughter is a top recruit (top 20 ranked) has excellent grades. What type of scholarship should be expected? Ivy is also an option and we would probably qualify for about half tuition. Wondering if it the scholarship money would be be better at a non Ivy but top academic and lax school like NW, Stanford, Duke. Would appreciate any insight!

Did you plug your numbers in to any Ivy financial aid calculators? Ivy aid varies from school to school.

Yes

Your point on "half tuition" doesn't seem accurate considering every Ivy operates off of different financial aid calculations. That said, I have heard that some of Ivy's will match a better "Ivy financial aid offer" if the recruit can prove that they actually have an offer from another Ivy coach / school.

Top 20 Recruits can usually choose whatever school they want. The scholarship offer will depend on where your daughter is ranked on the coaches list. Every situation is different so you really have to go through the process to see just where your daughter stands. The good news is that if your daughter is ranked in the Top 20 she will have some awesome opportunities at some amazing schools. Lacrosse will open many doors and it will help to make college affordable.

Some of the comments on here about Goalies getting the lions share of $$ are not entirely accurate. Coaches prioritize what they need in each recruiting class and they do not always need a goalie. The type of player that your daughter is will dictate how a coach views her and where she falls on the coaches "priority" list. It's not just about how good the player is, it's about what the coach needs in that recruiting class.

There is no hard rule as to how much $$ a recruit will be offered, every situation is different.

Good luck to you and your daughter it sounds like your daughter has very bright future.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
BoardLord #328420 04/29/21 09:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Moving to the area. When does this team usually run tryouts? Assuming my daughter is offered a spot on a team, which ones are worthwhile and which should be avoided?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #328440 04/29/21 11:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Moving to the area. When does this team usually run tryouts? Assuming my daughter is offered a spot on a team, which ones are worthwhile and which should be avoided?
What age group is your daughters. This league runs tryouts in August. You're offered a spot on a team, you don't get to choose which one (not sure what "which ones should be avoided" means)

Are you asking which leagues should be avoided?

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #328517 04/30/21 01:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Moving to the area. When does this team usually run tryouts? Assuming my daughter is offered a spot on a team, which ones are worthwhile and which should be avoided?
What age group is your daughters. This league runs tryouts in August. You're offered a spot on a team, you don't get to choose which one (not sure what "which ones should be avoided" means)

Are you asking which leagues should be avoided?

Not the original poster but where did you read "league"?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Anonymous #328533 04/30/21 03:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Moving to the area. When does this team usually run tryouts? Assuming my daughter is offered a spot on a team, which ones are worthwhile and which should be avoided?
What age group is your daughters. This league runs tryouts in August. You're offered a spot on a team, you don't get to choose which one (not sure what "which ones should be avoided" means)

Are you asking which leagues should be avoided?

Not the original poster but where did you read "league"?

It works if you substitute "Team" for "League"

Like Reply Quote
Page 862 of 862 1 2 860 861 862
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4