BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted!! PWant FILLED REGISTRATIONS, REAL SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS for you? Contact us! | Be Part of Our Intriguing Newsletter List and Our Elite Community: Influence & Network with U.S. based Laxers!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 191 of 263 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 262 263
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Qusetion for FOGO players/parents: I am assuming everyone will be playing with college rules. After watching college Lax, I am concerned especially with the officiating and the cheating I see. This rule change has destroyed the position and made it more about who can cheat and get away with it. So many kids going early and not being called. In the games I watch you can see kids going against each other twice in conference play with totally different outcomes. There are also Good fogos who play no competition like Lehigh and Hofstra who look like superstars where kids in the BIG ten who would probably be ahead are mostly tied except for Rutgers who stink at face offs. ACC is up and down as well, looking to see what happens Thursday with Duke /ND after the lopsided result last week. Think it will be different this time. It's vey hard to figure out. Any advice?

Have your kid switch over to golf.....

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Qusetion for FOGO players/parents: I am assuming everyone will be playing with college rules. After watching college Lax, I am concerned especially with the officiating and the cheating I see. This rule change has destroyed the position and made it more about who can cheat and get away with it. So many kids going early and not being called. In the games I watch you can see kids going against each other twice in conference play with totally different outcomes. There are also Good fogos who play no competition like Lehigh and Hofstra who look like superstars where kids in the BIG ten who would probably be ahead are mostly tied except for Rutgers who stink at face offs. ACC is up and down as well, looking to see what happens Thursday with Duke /ND after the lopsided result last week. Think it will be different this time. It's vey hard to figure out. Any advice?

Have your kid switch over to golf.....

Underrated

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is exactly what u want, minus the cheating of course. On any given day, the result will be different. More ground balls, less tie ups, etc ... This is what they wanted and for the most part succeeding. I was against the change but it has grown on me. As for the good kids at smaller schools. This is in any sport and I am not sure what u are saying. In the NCAA basketball there are studs averaging 20 plus points a game where if the played for UNC or Duke would average 10 or 12 or less.
Also unless I am mistaken, one of the reasons for the leaning (or cheating as u put it) as it is presently constructed is because of COVID. Before anyone thinks I am nuts, what I mean is, they ball is placed down first and the refs spend less time adjusting the heads of the sticks. I believe this is a temporary issue and will be fixed moving forward because the sticks will be down AND then the ball is placed. I believe the refs were told to do this to get out of the space bc of COVID concerns. The bottom line is I love the faceoff and hope it stays a part of the game forever. BTW, I am not the parent of a faceoff kid but a long stick defender and the ground balls has made the game more fun. As for advice - train more, get faster and stronger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is exactly what u want, minus the cheating of course. On any given day, the result will be different. More ground balls, less tie ups, etc ... This is what they wanted and for the most part succeeding. I was against the change but it has grown on me. As for the good kids at smaller schools. This is in any sport and I am not sure what u are saying. In the NCAA basketball there are studs averaging 20 plus points a game where if the played for UNC or Duke would average 10 or 12 or less.
Also unless I am mistaken, one of the reasons for the leaning (or cheating as u put it) as it is presently constructed is because of COVID. Before anyone thinks I am nuts, what I mean is, they ball is placed down first and the refs spend less time adjusting the heads of the sticks. I believe this is a temporary issue and will be fixed moving forward because the sticks will be down AND then the ball is placed. I believe the refs were told to do this to get out of the space bc of COVID concerns. The bottom line is I love the faceoff and hope it stays a part of the game forever. BTW, I am not the parent of a faceoff kid but a long stick defender and the ground balls has made the game more fun. As for advice - train more, get faster and stronger.

Interesting. Yes the leaning you see when the camera zooms in. Some refs call a violation before they even blow the whistle, others ignore it. Could be that they don't see it cause they're too far back. Lots of kids going early (timing whistle) and not being called as well. Ground balls seem to be the same as they were before the rule change for the better fogos. Guess we'll see. Hopefully the refs do a good job and stay consistent. And for the *** with the snide comment about golf, go have a catch with your son, mine is committed to a top school and wants to stay proactive on the changes to the position, sorry you felt the need to be rude.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the MIAA there are a TON of kids leaning and getting away with the refs calling the set and whistle from 2-5 yards away. You simply can't see the leans from that angle.
I've seen more faceoff violations before the set is even called. That's just another dense side effect of COVID.
I agree all will be fine post COVID when refs can set and adjust the players/sticks.
Having to call a kid on a violation because a shooting string or sidewall hits the ball on approach is ticky-tack and bs.
Kids will be able to touch the ball on approach by accident, and let the refs readjust before the set call. That's part of the reason why the "Set" call was originally implemented- to allow both players to get fairly and equally adjusted. Aside fromt he COVID rules, the other new (old) faceoff rules are fantastic.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They have been changing the face-off rules every year or so since around 1979 - 80..... deal with it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They have been changing the face-off rules every year or so since around 1979 - 80..... deal with it.

Yes, obviously it will be dealt with. Do you have anything constructive to add, or do you just enjoy trolling?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, obviously it will be dealt with. Do you have anything constructive to add, or do you just enjoy trolling?

As the father of a FOGO, most every FOGO will push the limits of what is allowed. They will figure out quickly what the refs will allow. The ref will do his best to enforce his interpretation of the rules. The committee wanted a faster game. They got it, the shot clock, the new FO rules.. The new rules hurt my son, he is adapting and lucklily, he is behind a D1 commit and has this year to keep getting better..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is no doubt wealthier districts / families have a distinct competitive advantage. A lot of money is spent on shooting, camps, agility, strength, private lessons that the majority of families simply can not allocate in their budgets. This is fact, but also life. No asterisk should be applied to any individual, parent or community that chooses to support that pursuit though.
What is your point? Shooting camps, etc., will only improve a player so much. Old fashion dedication and hard work and, in many cases, natural ability is still the best way towards success.

My district is one of the lower income districts. We have had multiple D2 commits and a couple D1 in the past few years.. Hard work and athletic ability will outpace money every time..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As the father of a FOGO, most every FOGO will push the limits of what is allowed. They will figure out quickly what the refs will allow. The ref will do his best to enforce his interpretation of the rules. The committee wanted a faster game. They got it, the shot clock, the new FO rules.. The new rules hurt my son, he is adapting and lucklily, he is behind a D1 commit and has this year to keep getting better..

The face off will eventually be eliminated. Very few college coaches on the rules committees support the face off. They prefer to a speed game with lots of points and parity. Envision something like basketball eliminating most jump balls.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That was constructive... the rules are thee same for everyone. What is the point of your post? What is your question? You give your observations and opinions and then you ask for advice. The advice was to "deal with it" and you somehow take offense to that.

The point is that "rule changes" impacting the face-off have been going on for the past 40 years (maybe longer). It is nothing new and the rules will be changed again in the next year or two. My advice is to deal with it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"My district is one of the lower income districts. We have had multiple D2 commits and a couple D1 in the past few years.. Hard work and athletic ability will outpace money every time.."

I agree with the above statement, but when a player has has athletic ability and works hard AND has the access to additional trainers/training, well that is an additional advantage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That was constructive... the rules are thee same for everyone. What is the point of your post? What is your question? You give your observations and opinions and then you ask for advice. The advice was to "deal with it" and you somehow take offense to that.

The point is that "rule changes" impacting the face-off have been going on for the past 40 years (maybe longer). It is nothing new and the rules will be changed again in the next year or two. My advice is to deal with it.

Below is a quote from Dom Starsia (former Virginia & Brown Coach)

- “We’ve won championships when we’ve been very good facing off,” Starsia said. “We’ve won championships when we’ve been only OK facing off. You do the best with what you’ve got.”

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"My district is one of the lower income districts. We have had multiple D2 commits and a couple D1 in the past few years.. Hard work and athletic ability will outpace money every time.."

I agree with the above statement, but when a player has has athletic ability and works hard AND has the access to additional trainers/training, well that is an additional advantage.

Welcome to the Republican Party! Yay capitalism.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The face off will eventually be eliminated. Very few college coaches on the rules committees support the face off. They prefer to a speed game with lots of points and parity. Envision something like basketball eliminating most jump balls.
Don't think they will go to a basketball style rule where, after a goal, the opposing team takes the ball in from the end line as this will not speed up the game. In fact, it will slow the game down and put too much emphasis on the ride which is an important part of the game but not the only thing. New rules are good and the shot clock are dramatic improvements.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't think they will go to a basketball style rule where, after a goal, the opposing team takes the ball in from the end line as this will not speed up the game. In fact, it will slow the game down and put too much emphasis on the ride which is an important part of the game but not the only thing. New rules are good and the shot clock are dramatic improvements.

I know it has been discussed recently. If they do go this route, I don't see it happening for at least 5-8 years from now. My younger one was playing in a tournament this past fall and they had a no face off rule due tot covid. Going in I thought it would be terrible, It was actually pretty good. After each goal they started from the crease. As soon as the goalie fished the ball out of the cage, the ref blew the whistle to start play. Made the clears that much more important. the game flow was great. I would not mind see it at a higher level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOLZ Says "anonymous" who isn't on the rules committee, doesn't know anyone on the rules committee, never played beyond h/s, never coached beyond peewee, BUT heard another parent say something like that in the stands one time.

This place is the best for completely unsubstantiated posts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is no doubt wealthier districts / families have a distinct competitive advantage. A lot of money is spent on shooting, camps, agility, strength, private lessons that the majority of families simply can not allocate in their budgets. This is fact, but also life. No asterisk should be applied to any individual, parent or community that chooses to support that pursuit though.

The advantage has little to do with the "wealth" that these communities have -- they (Manhasset, Garden City, CSH) succeed because of the number of multi-generational lacrosse families that each town has.

That said Manhasset lacrosse will likely fall off significantly over the next ~20 years due to the influx of Asians from Queens.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree the Face - Off should be eliminated. Make it like every other sport with alternate possession after a score. It's boring to watch, there's too much cheating and that would cut down on the roster specialty needs for every NCAA program. ACC schools have something like 5 or 6 faceoff guys and only one of them plays or 2 at the most in a game. Also, IMHO its completely dominated by kids whose parents or clubs are willing to pay for $100+/hour private training and the main guys leading the 'save the faceoff' charge are paying their mortgage that way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Face offs are the most exciting part of the game! This year they are so unpredictable, you never know what will happen! TD was just shut down hard by Georgetown's Reilly, who isn't even that good at face offs. So crazy! Looking forward to the Duke/ND matchup tomorrow

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree the Face - Off should be eliminated. Make it like every other sport with alternate possession after a score. It's boring to watch, there's too much cheating and that would cut down on the roster specialty needs for every NCAA program. ACC schools have something like 5 or 6 faceoff guys and only one of them plays or 2 at the most in a game. Also, IMHO its completely dominated by kids whose parents or clubs are willing to pay for $100+/hour private training and the main guys leading the 'save the faceoff' charge are paying their mortgage that way.

The new rules make faceoffs more accessible and less specialist driven.
You'll be seeing more athletes at the x, not fogos, moving forward.
Less than one year in and we're already seeing it in the MIAA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The advantage has little to do with the "wealth" that these communities have -- they (Manhasset, Garden City, CSH) succeed because of the number of multi-generational lacrosse families that each town has.

That said Manhasset lacrosse will likely fall off significantly over the next ~20 years due to the influx of Asians from Queens.

So it’s no coincidence that each of those communities is well above the national average for wealth?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The new rules make faceoffs more accessible and less specialist driven.
You'll be seeing more athletes at the x, not fogos, moving forward.
Less than one year in and we're already seeing it in the MIAA.

http://dailyorange.com/2014/02/lacrosse-keeping-face/

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They can't eliminate the faceoff. How will Shomberg and Gurenlian pay their mortgage?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I'm not sure they'll eliminate the FO, but they will water it down. Its such a long standing ritual it will be hard to get rid of it altogether. However, because lacrosse is not a money making sport, college coaches don't want to spend a lot of time and money recruiting such a specialized player. Many college coaches are probably happy with the new rules and will support more rules to make it more like hockey...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares how old they are. Not every top player is 25. There are only a handful of 25 year old's playing now and there are plenty of Freshman having an impact. Stop wearing your mask in your own car.. You are what is wrong with the world today.

You mean like Mike Sowers. Went back to win the T, but he hardly does anything special. He's getting outplayed by a freshman. Or 5th year ND Fogo who was owned by another freshman?

Umm sowers is 2nd in the nation in points

Gets shut down when playing good teams. ACC has a schedule of mostly stat padding games.

This could be the most ignorant post of all time.

Yes, that was the most ignorant post In the history of BOC.... Tonight confirmed it.

Poster is a know nothing clown.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares how old they are. Not every top player is 25. There are only a handful of 25 year old's playing now and there are plenty of Freshman having an impact. Stop wearing your mask in your own car.. You are what is wrong with the world today.

You mean like Mike Sowers. Went back to win the T, but he hardly does anything special. He's getting outplayed by a freshman. Or 5th year ND Fogo who was owned by another freshman?

Gets shut down when playing good teams. ACC has a schedule of mostly stat padding games.

So much for your theory

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by laxlurker
I'm not sure they'll eliminate the FO, but they will water it down. Its such a long standing ritual it will be hard to get rid of it altogether. However, because lacrosse is not a money making sport, college coaches don't want to spend a lot of time and money recruiting such a specialized player. Many college coaches are probably happy with the new rules and will support more rules to make it more like hockey...

You realize college lacrosse has about three times as many D3 programs than D1. What money are you talking about?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So much for your theory

He had a good game, but still not consistent. We’ll see how he and the team do post season before I’m convinced. Still not the best player. Others better/ more consistent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So much for your theory

He had a good game, but still not consistent. We’ll see how he and the team do post season before I’m convinced. Still not the best player. Others better/ more consistent

Ins't there a college forum for this? This is supposed to be a for high school lax. With the start of games around the corner why are we still talking about college

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any truth to the rumor that college is allowing an extra year of eligibility to current freshman and sophomores that didn't see the field?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any truth to the rumor that college is allowing an extra year of eligibility to current freshman and sophomores that didn't see the field?

Pretty sure any player who does not see action in a game can red-shirt as long as they have not done so already. 5 years to play 4.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like every other sport? Hockey is a pretty fast sport that faces off after each goal and then some. Keep spouting nonsense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

100% Accurate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That’s not new. Always been available

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That’s not new. Always been available

It’s called a redshirt year. It doesn’t grant an extra year of eligibility, it just doesn’t count the non-playing year against the 4 years of eligibility the athlete has. It is different than what the ncaa granted due to COVID-19 shutting down the 2020 season

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can't understand why Nassau would make a schedule that overlaps football playoffs with lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can't understand why Nassau would make a schedule that overlaps football playoffs with lacrosse.

Are kids on football expected to go to lax practice?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It effects 8 teams in Nassau county out of 50- 60 teams. Not a big deal...

Like Reply Quote
Page 191 of 263 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 262 263
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard