Anonymous #321858 02/27/21 09:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
No question SB didn’t have their best day and SU played flawless and inspired lax today. Surprising as both play a similar defense.

SU right now is the team to beat. UNC , ND and NW very strong but SU playing as a complete team right now is stronger. The EH loss as not apparent of a big issue today is a huge loss for them. I pray the injury is not bad and she can return. Lax needs players like her.

Another note SU backer zone is forcing many shooting space calls or players to pull up on shots, which are both good results for SU. The 8M is a tough shot. Also noticed SU using the old check to bottom of stick and pulling it. The refs see it, but used all over field.

Both backers were in 3 seconds all day but refs missing it. The backer zone is awesome when 3 seconds not called.

Onto next week we go.
Is there just not enough talent to go around? I know JMU shocked the lacrosse world by winning the National Championship in 2018 and Navy surprised everyone by advancing to the Final Four in 2017 but C'mon man... can we get some parity? Stony Brook has done a great job and is recognized by most as a Top 10 Program But they have not made it to Championship weekend. Virginia, Princeton, Penn, Florida, Notre Dame all Top 10 Programs but its been a while since they were in the Final Four or won a Championship. Not even sure if Notre Dame has ever gone to The Final Four. Duke has fallen off and has not been Top 20 the past few years. Penn State looks to be heading in the right direction after a couple of down years after back to back Final Four years.

You would think that with the growth of the sport it would be attracting more "Athletes" but it appears as though the same 10 - 15 teams are able to land just about all of the top players.

Michigan had a great year in 2019 but it looks like they might have taken a step back. Georgetown has fallen along with Hopkins.

I guess when you look at the Top 15 -20 Programs they cover all the bases for recruits. If you want to go out west USC and Stanford are excellent schools with competitive (although not yesterday for USC) programs. In The MidWest you obviously have Northwestern and Notre Dame. If you want warm weather and the south you have Florida, Duke and North Carolina. Big State School there is Maryland, Virginia, Penn State... Ivy you have Princeton and Penn (Dartmouth?). Northeast / New England / Boston area obviously Syracuse, Boston College (Dartmouth?) Want to stay on Long Island there is Stony Brook. Want to be in the Swamp AKA DC you have Georgetown. Hopkins is a great school with a good program if Baltimore is your thing, Loyola is right up the road and is a great fit for a lot of student athletes. Navy has become a strong program for the very special individual who wants to challenge themselves in that environment.

The top recruits can usually find their "Fit" at one of these schools... City, Country, Suburban, South, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, New England, Med-West, West Coast, Big School, Small School etc... They all excellent schools.

Just my thoughts on why it is so difficult for other programs to attract top talent.

Because regardless of how much money us parents throw at club lacrosse there just isnt that much talent out there. College lacrosse is by far the easiest route for any girl that wants to play varsity sport in college. The top 10, the next ten and then you fall off a cliff. Teams ranked around 100 could get beat by most club summer teams. Same goes for D2 and D3 a handful of really good teams and then not much. Enjoy the ride, Cheer for your kid and dont over think it

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #321864 02/27/21 09:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No question SB didn’t have their best day and SU played flawless and inspired lax today. Surprising as both play a similar defense.

SU right now is the team to beat. UNC , ND and NW very strong but SU playing as a complete team right now is stronger. The EH loss as not apparent of a big issue today is a huge loss for them. I pray the injury is not bad and she can return. Lax needs players like her.

Another note SU backer zone is forcing many shooting space calls or players to pull up on shots, which are both good results for SU. The 8M is a tough shot. Also noticed SU using the old check to bottom of stick and pulling it. The refs see it, but used all over field.

Both backers were in 3 seconds all day but refs missing it. The backer zone is awesome when 3 seconds not called.

Onto next week we go.

Here is the difference between SB and the best teams, Spallina only pushes individuals in a team sport. Look at UNC, in my opinion the best team with the best offensive player, but no one is dodging, there are no ISO’s it’s all ball movement. That’s the way you play this game.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321865 02/27/21 10:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Onto next week we go.

Here is the difference between SB and the best teams, Spallina only pushes individuals in a team sport. Look at UNC, in my opinion the best team with the best offensive player, but no one is dodging, there are no ISO’s it’s all ball movement. That’s the way you play this game.

UNC will dodge hard when they play against teams that plays man to man D.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321868 02/27/21 11:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Onto next week we go.
Is there just not enough talent to go around? I know JMU shocked the lacrosse world by winning the National Championship in 2018 and Navy surprised everyone by advancing to the Final Four in 2017 but C'mon man... can we get some parity? Stony Brook has done a great job and is recognized by most as a Top 10 Program But they have not made it to Championship weekend. Virginia, Princeton, Penn, Florida, Notre Dame all Top 10 Programs but its been a while since they were in the Final Four or won a Championship. Not even sure if Notre Dame has ever gone to The Final Four. Duke has fallen off and has not been Top 20 the past few years. Penn State looks to be heading in the right direction after a couple of down years after back to back Final Four years.

You would think that with the growth of the sport it would be attracting more "Athletes" but it appears as though the same 10 - 15 teams are able to land just about all of the top players.

Michigan had a great year in 2019 but it looks like they might have taken a step back. Georgetown has fallen along with Hopkins.

I guess when you look at the Top 15 -20 Programs they cover all the bases for recruits. If you want to go out west USC and Stanford are excellent schools with competitive (although not yesterday for USC) programs. In The MidWest you obviously have Northwestern and Notre Dame. If you want warm weather and the south you have Florida, Duke and North Carolina. Big State School there is Maryland, Virginia, Penn State... Ivy you have Princeton and Penn (Dartmouth?). Northeast / New England / Boston area obviously Syracuse, Boston College (Dartmouth?) Want to stay on Long Island there is Stony Brook. Want to be in the Swamp AKA DC you have Georgetown. Hopkins is a great school with a good program if Baltimore is your thing, Loyola is right up the road and is a great fit for a lot of student athletes. Navy has become a strong program for the very special individual who wants to challenge themselves in that environment.

The top recruits can usually find their "Fit" at one of these schools... City, Country, Suburban, South, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, New England, Med-West, West Coast, Big School, Small School etc... They all excellent schools.

Just my thoughts on why it is so difficult for other programs to attract top talent.

Because regardless of how much money us parents throw at club lacrosse there just isnt that much talent out there. College lacrosse is by far the easiest route for any girl that wants to play varsity sport in college. The top 10, the next ten and then you fall off a cliff. Teams ranked around 100 could get beat by most club summer teams. Same goes for D2 and D3 a handful of really good teams and then not much. Enjoy the ride, Cheer for your kid and dont over think it

Simple formula, the top programs recruit and bring in the best players and that’s how they remain the top programs. Most of the best HS players receive offers from several of the top 10 programs and most of the those players choose to play for one of the Top 10 programs. I’m willing to bet that if we look at where the Inside Lacrosse top 50 young gun seniors / Under Armour Senior All Americans choose to go to school there will be a direct correlation as to how those college programs perform. Pretty sure John Wooden once said “It’s about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s more than the X’s and the 0’s”. Coaches need great players in order to win. More times than not the top recruits choose to go to one of the top programs. It’s not comply.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321869 02/28/21 12:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Onto next week we go.

UNC will dodge hard when they play against teams that plays man to man D.

The historic coaches in all sports seem to
Be humble teachers of sport and life.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
TheBackOfTheCage #321875 02/28/21 07:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SU destroyed SB for few reasons. SB offense as pointed out above is built on a few players going to goal. That doesn’t work against a zone. What does work is dodge the first player and move the ball which is what SU did. SU also had six players above the goal and only one behind. The 6 were cutting off the 8M between goal circle and elbow. They had multiple goals on back cuts and look back to back side which was wide open. Many of the goals were clear 1M to 3M shots. I will say SB defense did do a much better job in second half as SU kept all the horses in the entire game. However the offense couldn’t score.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321881 02/28/21 11:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Onto next week we go.

In women's lacrosse, the teams that win championships win because they have the best team defense and exceptional goaltending.

As for SBU, they are a very good program and have been for some time now. I do not like looking back more than 5 years or so when trying do determine which programs are at the top of the game although I'm sure if we look back 10 or 15 years we will find the list to be much the same. Each year there seem to be 4 or 5 teams that emerge out of the Top 10 as being a cut above, 2021 looks to be no different. Stony Brook has flirted with cracking that top 5 but has yet to get over the hump. Depth seams to be what separates those top teams down the stretch. Stony Brook has not had the depth.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321884 02/28/21 11:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big 10 in full swing today with the exception of Penn State. Michigan seems to have fallen off from their 2019 season, Maryland is off as well, Northwestern is the clear favorite. We will find out if Penn State is back when they face Northwestern next week. I am guessing The Top two B1G Teams will make the tournament will there be a third team? I think at least 3 Big 10 Teams will make the NCAA Tournament especially with The Ivy's not playing. We all know The ACC is loaded can any Big 10 Teams compete this year? Northwestern is going to put up big numbers just not sure they can hold teams defensively.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321903 02/28/21 05:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big 10 in full swing today with the exception of Penn State. Michigan seems to have fallen off from their 2019 season, Maryland is off as well, Northwestern is the clear favorite. We will find out if Penn State is back when they face Northwestern next week. I am guessing The Top two B1G Teams will make the tournament will there be a third team? I think at least 3 Big 10 Teams will make the NCAA Tournament especially with The Ivy's not playing. We all know The ACC is loaded can any Big 10 Teams compete this year? Northwestern is going to put up big numbers just not sure they can hold teams defensively.

Big 10 will have three, Northwestern, Penn State and Maryland and with no Ivy’s we could see a fourth... I’m going with Rutgers : )

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321918 02/28/21 09:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stony brook. Now that’s a good one. When they can beat an actual
Good team. Then we can talk

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #321924 02/28/21 11:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you talking to yourself?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321925 02/28/21 11:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like the gentleman mentioned earlier. Unless SB can consistently play BIG 10 or ACC opponents, they are irrelevant. There is no comparison. Keep dominating Wagner and Hofstra! Kudos!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321933 03/01/21 07:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like the gentleman mentioned earlier. Unless SB can consistently play BIG 10 or ACC opponents, they are irrelevant. There is no comparison. Keep dominating Wagner and Hofstra! Kudos!

Exactly

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #321941 03/01/21 08:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That was creative you posted them answered your self

Management

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #321942 03/01/21 08:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BIG 10 be despicable this year.

Last edited by JesLax1; 03/01/21 08:55 AM.
Like Reply Quote
Page 31 of 62 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 61 62
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard