Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
BoardLord #321652 02/25/21 02:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
American Select Lacrosse is trying to pitch their tryout as an alternative to UA. YJ and STEPS are the leadership team. Any comments?

"All players within the graduation year and region are welcome to try out and compete for a spot. The tryout process will be unlike any other, with collegiate coaches evaluating and selecting players. Club coaches will not be selecting the teams.

PROFESSIONAL INDEPENDENT EVALUATORS
COLLEGIATE COACH EVALUATORS
NO CLUB COACHES WILL SELECT THE TEAMS
EACH REGION WILL HAVE 4 TEAMS - 1 PER GRAD YEAR
ALL COLLEGE COACHES INVITED TO TRYOUTS
IDENTIFYING THE BEST PLAYERS FROM EACH REGION REGARDLESS OF CLUB OR HIGH SCHOOL AFFILIATION"

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #321660 02/25/21 02:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Excellent math, excellent point and very well said.

Solid post. What are your thoughts on how attrition plays into that count. How many freshman/sophomores just stop playing in college.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321663 02/25/21 02:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
American Select Lacrosse is trying to pitch their tryout as an alternative to UA. YJ and STEPS are the leadership team. Any comments?

"All players within the graduation year and region are welcome to try out and compete for a spot. The tryout process will be unlike any other, with collegiate coaches evaluating and selecting players. Club coaches will not be selecting the teams.

IDENTIFYING THE BEST PLAYERS FROM EACH REGION REGARDLESS OF CLUB OR HIGH SCHOOL AFFILIATION"

read the last 2 pages

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321696 02/25/21 06:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Solid post. What are your thoughts on how attrition plays into that count. How many freshman/sophomores just stop playing in college.

At the top programs most continue to play, very few stop.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #321711 02/25/21 11:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bald Bear has done some research, I do not recall his exact findings but I believe he says a large number of players stop playing. In my experience looking at the top 20 or so programs it looks like a very high percentage of the players continue to play all four years. I just looked at the Rosters from the 2014 and 2015 LI UA Underclass Tems and it looks like 36 or 37 out of the 39 players either played all four years or are still playing. Two or three players had career ending injuries. One player who was injured continues to stay part of the team as a volunteer coach. I do not know the numbers for the rest of DI teams but logic tells me that the majority of players do not quit. Just look at roster size, if a large number of players stopped playing teams would not be able to maintain rosters in the mid 30’s.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #321712 02/25/21 11:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bald Bear has done some research, I do not recall his exact findings but I believe he says a large number of players stop playing. In my experience looking at the top 20 or so programs it looks like a very high percentage of the players continue to play all four years. I just looked at the Rosters from the 2014 and 2015 LI UA Underclass Tems and it looks like 36 or 37 out of the 39 players either played all four years or are still playing. Two or three players had career ending injuries. One player who was injured continues to stay part of the team as a volunteer coach. I do not know the numbers for the rest of DI teams but logic tells me that the majority of players do not quit. Just look at roster size, if a large number of players stopped playing teams would not be able to maintain rosters in the mid 30’s.

I don’t dig too deep into this stuff. I just wanted to bring to light that you can do what you want to do but most of it doesn’t matter. If you’re good enough and have the grades you’ll find your way regardless of what club you play for, what lists you are on etc etc. if you look at club commits. 20 to 25% of the grade level go to solid d1 programs, the 75% that don’t go elsewhere or just go to college as students.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #322138 03/02/21 06:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

read the last 2 pages

looks like a great alternative I think there was too much controversy with the UA. Its not the same as it was and it seems as if they lost their credibility this year

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #324342 03/23/21 06:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Part of the job is recruiting. Plenty of schools in girls lacrosse built programs from nothing and do more than JS. Enough with the over complimenting - guy is a donk who has an ego as if he has been to 15 final fours, oh yeah he has been to zero.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #324441 03/23/21 02:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Part of the job is recruiting. Plenty of schools in girls lacrosse built programs from nothing and do more than JS. Enough with the over complimenting - guy is a donk who has an ego as if he has been to 15 final fours, oh yeah he has been to zero.

Are you responding to a particular post ? While I agree that there are plenty of sycophants out there who believe JS is the best coach to ever walk the sideline I don’t think you can discount him too much.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #325521 03/31/21 09:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter did the American Select girls NJ tryout. STEPS is pushing it hard from what I hear. The level of talent was impressive. I think Under Armour is not going to have the best talent on the NJ team.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #325589 03/31/21 01:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]My daughter did the American Select girls NJ tryout. STEPS is pushing it hard from what I hear. The level of talent was impressive. I think Under Armour is not going to have the best talent on the NJ team.

On Long Island CR is encouraging her club to try out at UA.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #325621 03/31/21 04:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]My daughter did the American Select girls NJ tryout. STEPS is pushing it hard from what I hear. The level of talent was impressive. I think Under Armour is not going to have the best talent on the NJ team.

On Long Island CR is encouraging her club to try out at UA.

Steps is pushing because they are part of the tourney committee and each player fee is $600-$800 if you include tryout fee in their POCKET. best tourneys for them are the $$$

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #325635 03/31/21 05:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
American Select teams - $125 tryout fee
$595 fee to be on team - good gear
Get this, no film included for $595!!

Under Armour - $125 tryout fee
- No charge to be on team - good gear
- Film is extra

All the major clubs are "helping" with coaches for American Select, money talks.
Under Armour coaches not nearly as strong as in the past.
Under Armour has run a great program on it's own dime, but the clubs are ruining it. I did see a team was comprimised during evaluations last year and the coach was removed. Nothing is perfect, but too much good comes from UA for it to be less of a factor.

Like Reply Quote
BoardLord #325669 04/01/21 07:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having a friend who has been a UA coach in the past, there are two things that happen that I suspect most people unless you're the benefactor, would not be okay with. First, the coaches, of course, pick their own players. The evaluation is not "independent" as UA claims. The coaches pick the teams for the most part. The second is the horse-trading - meaning coaches from different age groups talk and make deals. You take my 202X player on your team and I'll take your 202Y player on mine. These are facts, gained by knowing an actual former UA coach.

If, and this is a _BIG_ if, American Select avoids these same mistakes, and has actual independent evaluators, they will be a better showcase in the long term.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to have AS at the same time as UA this year. I think AS should have built up its reputation more because trying to directly compete with UA. Just my opinion.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #325681 04/01/21 08:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having a friend who has been a UA coach in the past, there are two things that happen that I suspect most people unless you're the benefactor, would not be okay with. First, the coaches, of course, pick their own players. The evaluation is not "independent" as UA claims. The coaches pick the teams for the most part. The second is the horse-trading - meaning coaches from different age groups talk and make deals. You take my 202X player on your team and I'll take your 202Y player on mine. These are facts, gained by knowing an actual former UA coach.

If, and this is a _BIG_ if, American Select avoids these same mistakes, and has actual independent evaluators, they will be a better showcase in the long term.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to have AS at the same time as UA this year. I think AS should have built up its reputation more because trying to directly compete with UA. Just my opinion.

Here we go again... (It's not all rigged and political) The below post represent facts by actually looking at the players who made the team and then looking at their college career. The large majority are current Seniors, 5th or have graduated so it gives a pretty accurate evaluation of the caliber of player they are / were.

The below post is "cut and paste" from an earlier post. The numbers represent two separate years 2014 and 2015, back then there was one team all graduation years played on the same team. There were complaints back then about the selection process but looking at these numbers the evaluators / coaches selected some very good players.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*** "Some time on my hands so I did a little research... my apologies if I miss by a number here and there... : )

2014 and 2015 Under Armour Underclass Teams from Long Island:

- Total of 39 players were selected. (some played more than 1 year).

- 20 College Programs Represented. 13 -15 would be considered Top 20 Programs.

- 13 Division I All-Americans (so far, many still playing)

- at least 21 All-Conference (so far, many still playing)

- at least 17 Team Captains (so far, many still playing)

- 35 Starters / Players who play in every game.

- a few injured players I think Two career ending Injuries.

- 1 or 2 Reserve Players who have not seen much playing time.

Where did the players go to college?

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown
1 - BC, Northwestern, UVA, Maryland, Richmond, Duke, Columbia, Yale, Lehigh.

The bottom line is that the complaints about the tryouts come every single year. The reality is that over the years Under Armour has done an excellent job with the selection process. The vast majority of the players selected go on to prove themselves at many of the Top College Programs. At least for these two years it looks like all but two players are excelling or excelled (graduated) at many of the most competitive programs.

Kind of goes against the narrative that "UA is a joke and it's the friends and family network".

The biggest surprise that also "busts" a narrative is how many players went to Stony Brook. I read on this site constantly how JS does more with less than anyone and how he brings in no-name recruits etc... Well SBU brought in the most of any program... If they made the Under Armour Underclass they were most certainly known players." ***

Like Reply Quote
Page 859 of 861 1 2 857 858 859 860 861
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard