BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 322 of 327 1 2 320 321 322 323 324 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Will Under Armour be a normal event this year? Anyone know the the coaches are?

The same Jesters coaches from last year are listed as the coaches for this year.

Is that for the Command or Highlight? You would think they would have dumped him as a coach after his embarrassing performance last year!

One Jesters coach is coaching Command and another one is coaching Highlight. Yes last year was horrible. Dad wanted his daughter to shine he could care less about winning.

How did these Jesters coaches weasel there way into UA?? Does this mean that the UA teams are going to be littered with incompetent players? I would honestly like to see more HS coaches involved who are not affiliated with any clubs. Yes they would probably pick a couple of their players, but it wouldn't be that bad.

Jester dad coach is listed again? what a scam ....talk about manipulating the system for his kid...

This is exactly why UA is losing its credibility-people are tired of it & moving on. A lot more going to American Select

American Select is a YJ & STEPS event, therefore all YJ coaches and players will be at A.S. and not at UA. Whatever role Carol Rose had intone past with player selection and coaching at UA is now up for grabs. I woulda thought the Topguns would have grabbed it but it looks like Jesters has

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Will Under Armour be a normal event this year? Anyone know the the coaches are?

The same Jesters coaches from last year are listed as the coaches for this year.

Is that for the Command or Highlight? You would think they would have dumped him as a coach after his embarrassing performance last year!

One Jesters coach is coaching Command and another one is coaching Highlight. Yes last year was horrible. Dad wanted his daughter to shine he could care less about winning.

How did these Jesters coaches weasel there way into UA?? Does this mean that the UA teams are going to be littered with incompetent players? I would honestly like to see more HS coaches involved who are not affiliated with any clubs. Yes they would probably pick a couple of their players, but it wouldn't be that bad.

Jester dad coach is listed again? what a scam ....talk about manipulating the system for his kid...

This is exactly why UA is losing its credibility-people are tired of it & moving on. A lot more going to American Select

American Select is a YJ & STEPS event, therefore all YJ coaches and players will be at A.S. and not at UA. Whatever role Carol Rose had intone past with player selection and coaching at UA is now up for grabs. I woulda thought the Topguns would have grabbed it but it looks like Jesters has

Jesters sent 4 coaches to evaluations last year they turned it into a friends and family tryout. Looks like it will be much of the same this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Will Under Armour be a normal event this year? Anyone know the the coaches are?

She still has BT on list of coaches for UA. She is still involved with UA

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Will Under Armour be a normal event this year? Anyone know the the coaches are?

Jesters sent 4 coaches to evaluations last year they turned it into a friends and family tryout. Looks like it will be much of the same this year.

Club coaches will not be evaluators at American Select. That is exactly why girls are going there, hopefully alot less bias. UA has become a complete joke

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA has always been a joke.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AS will offer more kids in an age group to make a team. So if youre concerned about your kid not being picked for UA, try out for AS as your childs chances will be greater. YJ coach still coaching UA and IM sure CR still involved with UA as it only benefits her club. It will be tougher to make UA and colleges know that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AS will offer more kids in an age group to make a team. So if youre concerned about your kid not being picked for UA, try out for AS as your childs chances will be greater. YJ coach still coaching UA and IM sure CR still involved with UA as it only benefits her club. It will be tougher to make UA and colleges know that.

Exactly why it's a joke. It's not hard to make the team if your club/high school coach is affiliated with the Event. And colleges know that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exactly why it's a joke. It's not hard to make the team if your club/high school coach is affiliated with the Event. And colleges know that

College coaches look at what achievements your kid had, not who coached, they dont care about sour grapes. Same cast of characters at AS and same try out game, just more opportunity to be picked but doesnt make it an achievement, youll be on the field with even more friends and family at AS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh please... Under Armour Underclass has always been the most competitive HS event out there. Parents of players that do not make the team always complain and try to bash players who made the team. There are always going to be a handful of very strong players who are deserving but do not make the team that just the way it is, there are limited spots. Maybe 10 players per grad year have a legit complaint. I recall listening to a parent on one of my kids team complain two years in a row as to how the tryouts were BS and all political... His daughter made the team the following year and his comment was...
"They finally got it right". There are a lot of fantasy parents out there.

Last edited by JesLax1; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College coaches look at what achievements your kid had, not who coached, they dont care about sour grapes. Same cast of characters at AS and same try out game, just more opportunity to be picked but doesnt make it an achievement, youll be on the field with even more friends and family at AS

Actually, college coaches watch players play, the do not look at "achievements", they look at how the player competes. Coaches look at athleticism, skillset, toughness, effort, IQ etc... Coaches do not recruit a player based off the players accolades. They recruit players because of the players ability.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh please... Under Armour Underclass has always been the most competitive HS event out there. Parents of players that do not make the team always complain and try to bash players who made the team. There are always going to be a handful of very strong players who are deserving but do not make the team that just the way it is, there are limited spots. Maybe 10 players per grad year have a legit complaint. I recall listening to a parent on one of my kids team complain two years in a row as to how the tryouts were BS and all political... His daughter made the team the following year and his comment was...

So true. There's got to be something to UA if these parents are still complaining almost 8 months later.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So true. There's got to be something to UA if these parents are still complaining almost 8 months later.

How many "deserving" players from each graduation year do not make the team each year? Maybe 10 - 12 players from each year. The evaluators do in fact try to select the best players but there are limited spots so some very good players will be over looked. I will say that having a parent of a player evaluate and of coach is wrong and should not happen.

How many players attend the tryouts? How many of those parents believe that their daughter is in the top 5 - 8 players at their position? How many of those parents believe that their daughter is in the top 15 or so players from Long Island in her graduation year? Just take a look at the schools that make offers to players and where players go to play in college. Each year there are 20 - 25 players from Long Island who go to the Top 10 - 15 college programs they are for the most part the best players from Long Island. Sure, there are a few who slip through the cracks for whatever reason but for the most part the players who receive offers from the top programs end up going to a top program. Stony Brook skews the numbers a little because they take so many Long Island players and they are also a top 10-15 program.
Too many parents look through their parent goggles...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]UA has always been a joke.

How many "deserving" players from each graduation year do not make the team each year? Maybe 10 - 12 players from each year. The evaluators do in fact try to select the best players but there are limited spots so some very good players will be over looked. I will say that having a parent of a player evaluate and of coach is wrong and should not happen.

How many players attend the tryouts? How many of those parents believe that their daughter is in the top 5 - 8 players at their position? How many of those parents believe that their daughter is in the top 15 or so players from Long Island in her graduation year? Just take a look at the schools that make offers to players and where players go to play in college. Each year there are 20 - 25 players from Long Island who go to the Top 10 - 15 college programs they are for the most part the best players from Long Island. Sure, there are a few who slip through the cracks for whatever reason but for the most part the players who receive offers from the top programs end up going to a top program. Stony Brook skews the numbers a little because they take so many Long Island players and they are also a top 10-15 program.
Too many parents look through their parent goggles...[/quote

Also look at all the best players in the college game that are from Long Island the past decade. Most of them made the underclass UA team, and i am sure back then the parents complained they got those teams wrong too. The best 10-15 kids make that team. The last 8 or so spots could go to 30 different girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just want to point out this stat: 2020 UA Underclass NJ Command team had 12 players out of their 24 player roster who play for BBL. And I don't have a daughter who is a 2023 or 2024 player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just want to point out this stat: 2020 UA Underclass NJ Command team had 12 players out of their 24 player roster who play for BBL. And I don't have a daughter who is a 2023 or 2024 player.

BBL is a mediocre team no way 12 players made UA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They do is their coach is the evaluator!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Philly, tryouts this week for Under Armour Underclass lacrosse tournament (Aug. 6 - 9)

New Jersey
Date: July 23
Time: 9am – 3 pm
Includes: NJ
Coaches: Highlight: Katie Lee, Crysti Foote, Evan Mager; Command: Sam Warner

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They do is their coach is the evaluator!

Go take a look at the Long Island Underclass Rosters from 2014 & 2015 as most of those girls have graduated or are current seniors or 5th year players. That should give you an idea of the talent on those teams based on the players body of work at the college level (most at top tier programs).

There was a lot of complaining about the selection process back then ...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe it all depends on the year, the region, and who the evaluators are?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, at least not on Long Island it doesn't. The same comments on here every year...
"The tryout was a joke, the best girls didn't make it, some real head scratchers, they will disappear in college, many deserving girls didn't make it, all political, if your not a YJ good luck, etc...)

Some parents just can't take it when others are considered better players than their daughter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No disagreement that LI picks the best players in LI for UA every year.

But it's a significant conflict of interest when club coaches are choosing the players for each region's team.
Because it would be really easy for them to slip a couple of borderline players from their own club onto the UA team roster, and no one would notice or probably even care.
Might just be considered the price of doing business.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, at least not on Long Island it doesn't. The same comments on here every year...
"The tryout was a joke, the best girls didn't make it, some real head scratchers, they will disappear in college, many deserving girls didn't make it, all political, if your not a YJ good luck, etc...)

Some parents just can't take it when others are considered better players than their daughter.

Some time on my hands so I did a little research... my apologies if I miss by a number here and there... : )

2014 and 2015 Under Armour Underclass Teams from Long Island:

- Total of 39 players (some played more than 1 year).

- 20 College Programs Represented. 13 -15 would be considered Top 20 Programs.

- 13 Division I All-Americans (so far, many still playing)

- at least 21 All-Conference (so far)

- at least 17 Team Captains (so far)

- 35 Starters / Play every game.

- a few injured players I think Two career ending Injuries.

- 1 or 2 Reserve Players.

Where did the players go to college?

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown
1 - BC, Northwestern, UVA, Maryland, Richmond, Duke, Columbia, Yale, Lehigh.

The bottom line is that the complaints about the tryouts come every single year. The reality is that over the years Under Armour has done an excellent job with the selection process. The vast majority of the players selected go on to prove themselves at many of the Top College Programs. At least for these two years it looks like all but two players are excelling or excelled (graduated) at many of the most competitive programs.

Kind of goes against the narrative that "UA is a joke and it's the friends and family network".

The biggest surprise that also "busts" a narrative is how many players went to Stony Brook. I read on this site constantly how JS does more with less than anyone and how he brings in no-name recruits etc... Well SBU brought in the most of any program... If they made the Under Armour Underclass they were most certainly known players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Some time on my hands so I did a little research... my apologies if I miss by a number here and there... : )

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown

The bottom line is that the complaints about the tryouts come every single year. The reality is that over the years Under Armour has done an excellent job with the selection process. The vast majority of the players selected go on to prove themselves at many of the Top College Programs. At least for these two years it looks like all but two players are excelling or excelled (graduated) at many of the most competitive programs.

Kind of goes against the narrative that "UA is a joke and it's the friends and family network".

The biggest surprise that also "busts" a narrative is how many players went to Stony Brook. I read on this site constantly how JS does more with less than anyone and how he brings in no-name recruits etc... Well SBU brought in the most of any program... If they made the Under Armour Underclass they were most certainly known players.

and these 2015 and 2014 were also dads of the players...not being a donk just really interested in how the UA has changed....and what went wrong? how can you let a parent be an evaluator? Seriously? that i just need to understand. It is a toal conflict of interest.. nevermind the coaches of the teams? idk

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown

and these 2015 and 2014 were also dads of the players...not being a donk just really interested in how the UA has changed....and what went wrong? how can you let a parent be an evaluator? Seriously? that i just need to understand. It is a toal conflict of interest.. nevermind the coaches of the teams? idk

To the best of my knowledge there were no parent coaches. Pretty sure no YJ involvement in the 2015 selection or coaching and pretty sure more than half the team was YJ's.

There should be no Parent Coaches for this type of tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown

To the best of my knowledge there were no parent coaches. Pretty sure no YJ involvement in the 2015 selection or coaching and pretty sure more than half the team was YJ's.

so basically what you are saying is it was way more legit in 2015 and 2014...there were no conflicts of interest no parents ...or coaches....and the BEST players made it. without controversy and at that time YJ teams were legit, dominated and that's how it should be......they didn't need to do anything but let the kids do their thing.. thank you....you dropped the mic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown

so basically what you are saying is it was way more legit in 2015 and 2014...there were no conflicts of interest no parents ...or coaches....and the BEST players made it. without controversy and at that time YJ teams were legit, dominated and that's how it should be......they didn't need to do anything but let the kids do their thing.. thank you....you dropped the mic

My opinion on these things is if you want to do them go ahead, but they really don't matter. You people don't look at the other side of the numbers. 20 teams, average roster 30, that's 600 players. 39 did UA 560 didn't.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Maybe it all depends on the year, the region, and who the evaluators are?

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown

Legit exactly. You should never have a parent coach like the Jesters Coach doing the evaluating of his daughter and her friends. UA has him listed again as a coach so expect much of the same selections that happened last year to happen this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

5 - Stony Brook
4 - North Carolina
4 - Princeton
3 - Florida
3 - Syracuse
3 - Notre Dame
2 - Penn
2 - Penn State
2 - USC
2 - Georgetown

Based on this assessment,. you must be in charge of Cuomo's covid numbers as well.
SBU absolutely does do more with less. You have only counted UA players from LI, and yes, Joe gets his fair share of those. But he is typically unable to land the very top players from LI, and he lands exactly zero UA players from all the other regions. All the other top college teams have a top UA player or two from LI, perhaps less than Stony Brook. But they also have a top player or two from Upstate, and a top player or two from Mass/Conn, and a top player or two from NJ, and a top player or two from Maryland and so on....... These teams simply have more. Joe is at a major handicap trying to recruit to SBU, especially non-LI kids, it is simply not an attractive destination for most. What you are failing to recognize is that people are complimenting Joe as an amazing coach with the doing more with less comments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other side of the numbers is not representative of Long Island Girls HS Lacrosse. If you are looking at “20” college teams (I assume the Top 20 Programs) they average approximately 5 players from Long Island (take stony Brook out of the mix) That gives you 100 Long Island players competing at Top 20 programs in a given year. Divide that “100” by 4 and you come up with 25 (per year / grad year). Every year, there are approximately 25 players from Long Island that are considered “Legit Top Tier Recruits” by the top college programs. These are the players who are offered spots at the Top 15 - 20 College Programs. There are not 50 or 100 or 200 girls each year from Long Island that can go play at a Top Tier College Program. There are maybe 8-12 players per year from each graduation class that could be selected for UA Underclass but are overlooked for whatever reason. There are not an additional 50 + players of equal ability and athleticism. UA has traditionally done an excellent job evaluating and selecting players (despite the complaints). They have a very good track record and the vast majority of players go on to do very well at the most competitive college programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent math, excellent point and very well said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
American Select Lacrosse is trying to pitch their tryout as an alternative to UA. YJ and STEPS are the leadership team. Any comments?

"All players within the graduation year and region are welcome to try out and compete for a spot. The tryout process will be unlike any other, with collegiate coaches evaluating and selecting players. Club coaches will not be selecting the teams.

PROFESSIONAL INDEPENDENT EVALUATORS
COLLEGIATE COACH EVALUATORS
NO CLUB COACHES WILL SELECT THE TEAMS
EACH REGION WILL HAVE 4 TEAMS - 1 PER GRAD YEAR
ALL COLLEGE COACHES INVITED TO TRYOUTS
IDENTIFYING THE BEST PLAYERS FROM EACH REGION REGARDLESS OF CLUB OR HIGH SCHOOL AFFILIATION"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Solid post. What are your thoughts on how attrition plays into that count. How many freshman/sophomores just stop playing in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
American Select Lacrosse is trying to pitch their tryout as an alternative to UA. YJ and STEPS are the leadership team. Any comments?

"All players within the graduation year and region are welcome to try out and compete for a spot. The tryout process will be unlike any other, with collegiate coaches evaluating and selecting players. Club coaches will not be selecting the teams.

IDENTIFYING THE BEST PLAYERS FROM EACH REGION REGARDLESS OF CLUB OR HIGH SCHOOL AFFILIATION"

read the last 2 pages

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Solid post. What are your thoughts on how attrition plays into that count. How many freshman/sophomores just stop playing in college.

At the top programs most continue to play, very few stop.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bald Bear has done some research, I do not recall his exact findings but I believe he says a large number of players stop playing. In my experience looking at the top 20 or so programs it looks like a very high percentage of the players continue to play all four years. I just looked at the Rosters from the 2014 and 2015 LI UA Underclass Tems and it looks like 36 or 37 out of the 39 players either played all four years or are still playing. Two or three players had career ending injuries. One player who was injured continues to stay part of the team as a volunteer coach. I do not know the numbers for the rest of DI teams but logic tells me that the majority of players do not quit. Just look at roster size, if a large number of players stopped playing teams would not be able to maintain rosters in the mid 30’s.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bald Bear has done some research, I do not recall his exact findings but I believe he says a large number of players stop playing. In my experience looking at the top 20 or so programs it looks like a very high percentage of the players continue to play all four years. I just looked at the Rosters from the 2014 and 2015 LI UA Underclass Tems and it looks like 36 or 37 out of the 39 players either played all four years or are still playing. Two or three players had career ending injuries. One player who was injured continues to stay part of the team as a volunteer coach. I do not know the numbers for the rest of DI teams but logic tells me that the majority of players do not quit. Just look at roster size, if a large number of players stopped playing teams would not be able to maintain rosters in the mid 30’s.

I don’t dig too deep into this stuff. I just wanted to bring to light that you can do what you want to do but most of it doesn’t matter. If you’re good enough and have the grades you’ll find your way regardless of what club you play for, what lists you are on etc etc. if you look at club commits. 20 to 25% of the grade level go to solid d1 programs, the 75% that don’t go elsewhere or just go to college as students.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

read the last 2 pages

looks like a great alternative I think there was too much controversy with the UA. Its not the same as it was and it seems as if they lost their credibility this year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Part of the job is recruiting. Plenty of schools in girls lacrosse built programs from nothing and do more than JS. Enough with the over complimenting - guy is a donk who has an ego as if he has been to 15 final fours, oh yeah he has been to zero.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Part of the job is recruiting. Plenty of schools in girls lacrosse built programs from nothing and do more than JS. Enough with the over complimenting - guy is a donk who has an ego as if he has been to 15 final fours, oh yeah he has been to zero.

Are you responding to a particular post ? While I agree that there are plenty of sycophants out there who believe JS is the best coach to ever walk the sideline I don’t think you can discount him too much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter did the American Select girls NJ tryout. STEPS is pushing it hard from what I hear. The level of talent was impressive. I think Under Armour is not going to have the best talent on the NJ team.

Like Reply Quote
Page 322 of 327 1 2 320 321 322 323 324 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard