BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 117 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 116 117
Re: Girls High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]Honest question here. What is wrong with a coach having input into a team they are coaching? Are these independent evalutators gonna pick the best players as determined by the expert parents?

There is no problem with it if the coach is objective. Last year at UA Jesters coach selected 5 of his players and YJ coach selected 15 of hers including 2 from the 2nd YJ team. Legacy had 1 girl and TG had 1 girl there is no way that is objective that's why you need an independent evaluator to select the team based on ability not what club they are from.

That UA was a disaster. you could almost say corrupt...lol UA lost its credibility on that one. Maybe why people are jumping ship

The best players will make UA and AS will be for the next set of girls. UA is still the best and it hopefully leads to the biggest HS individual achievement; making the Senior UA AA game.
People.can call this past year a disaster but UA still had the best 12-15 2023 girls from the island chosen. no arguing that. maybe the last 8-10 spots were politics.
That said the AS should be a good event but the best players will still be at the FREE UA games

They had 5 - 8 girls that would made it regardless of the politics.... the rest made it well.... it was so blatantly obvious ...you would be fool not to see it. i think UA really exposed the truth ,,,,lots of people woke up including coaches who don't want to associate with the brand ....Nike Select looks like they heard the complaints and looking at their front page promises to "redefine the selection process" ... will see if they can do it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The best players will make UA and AS will be for the next set of girls. UA is still the best and it hopefully leads to the biggest HS individual achievement; making the Senior UA AA game.
People.can call this past year a disaster but UA still had the best 12-15 2023 girls from the island chosen. no arguing that. maybe the last 8-10 spots were politics.
That said the AS should be a good event but the best players will still be at the FREE UA games

Corrigan Sports/UA had to open the Call Back Academy to anyone who tried out because they were not able to get enough players to participate otherwise. UA is slowly becoming irrelevant because of the role they let club directors, club coaches, and parent coaches play. It is not a fair process, and until you pull the clubs/high schools/parents out of the evaluation process and start to use more outside evaluators like Nike is going to ATTEMPT to do, you are going to continue to suffer. People have woke because of the gross display of bias this past summer at all regional tryouts, not just Baltimore and DC. I hope Nike is more legit for the sakes of the players and their bank accounts.
how much thought did UA and Nike give to the dates of these 2 tournaments. The last week of July is a huge vacation week for a lot of lax families, especially on the East Coast. they will going to the beaches from LI to OBX. thank god my kids committed and i'll be sitting in a beach chair that week
Life is great...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Honest question here. What is wrong with a coach having input into a team they are coaching? Are these independent evalutators gonna pick the best players as determined by the expert parents?

There is no problem with it if the coach is objective. Last year at UA Jesters coach selected 5 of his players and YJ coach selected 15 of hers including 2 from the 2nd YJ team. Legacy had 1 girl and TG had 1 girl there is no way that is objective that's why you need an independent evaluator to select the team based on ability not what club they are from.

That UA was a disaster. you could almost say corrupt...lol UA lost its credibility on that one. Maybe why people are jumping ship

They had 5 - 8 girls that would made it regardless of the politics.... the rest made it well.... it was so blatantly obvious ...you would be fool not to see it. i think UA really exposed the truth ,,,,lots of people woke up including coaches who don't want to associate with the brand ....Nike Select looks like they heard the complaints and looking at their front page promises to "redefine the selection process" ... will see if they can do it.

I’m betting money at least one parent comes on and claims their all star kid was left off for some political pick behind the scenes !!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

They had 5 - 8 girls that would made it regardless of the politics.... the rest made it well.... it was so blatantly obvious ...you would be fool not to see it. i think UA really exposed the truth ,,,,lots of people woke up including coaches who don't want to associate with the brand ....Nike Select looks like they heard the complaints and looking at their front page promises to "redefine the selection process" ... will see if they can do it.[/quote]

Have you taken the time to look who is involved in running this event? It’s the same club directors who previously ran UA tryouts and picked their own players.. nothing has changed. They created a new event where they get to line their own pockets instead of the money going to Corrigan.
And if you play for one of the clubs whose director is involved.... there won’t be a choice as to which event you go to. forget Under Armour... you will go to American Select

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh yeah... and if you play for a club not represented by the American Select leadership team... you’re probably not making it

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder if AS will do drills this year? UA has done them in the past but last year they just threw the girls on the field 18 at a time and said PLAY! Just not a fan of the whole format. Especially if you have a defensive side player. They really only look at the ones who score the goals.
Yeah, you get the good kids but this past summer at UA it was kind of laughable. The call back game had so.many.kids. Even kids from B teams whose siblings played for DIv 1- picked only for clout. We have been playing too long to not recognize this. And then the cry for attendees for the call back academy. If your girl is good, there is a school out there for her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have you taken the time to look who is involved in running this event? It’s the same club directors who previously ran UA tryouts and picked their own players.. nothing has changed. They created a new event where they get to line their own pockets instead of the money going to Corrigan.
And if you play for one of the clubs whose director is involved.... there won’t be a choice as to which event you go to. forget Under Armour... you will go to American Select[/quote]

Whining starting already ! Those coaches won’t be involved in selecting if you can read. Also those coaches have some pretty good history at selecting kids and winning. I think I see 7 different clubs involved as well ! The players for these teams usually come from teams with the best records in each area. Why is that ? Same ones that get recruited by the better schools too!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder if AS will do drills this year? UA has done them in the past but last year they just threw the girls on the field 18 at a time and said PLAY! Just not a fan of the whole format. Especially if you have a defensive side player. They really only look at the ones who score the goals.
Yeah, you get the good kids but this past summer at UA it was kind of laughable. The call back game had so.many.kids. Even kids from B teams whose siblings played for DIv 1- picked only for clout. We have been playing too long to not recognize this. And then the cry for attendees for the call back academy. If your girl is good, there is a school out there for her.

Some great points here. Teams with only a couple true defenders and attackers. Kinda like taking only qb’s and a rb and wr for an all star football game. Need to make some roster requirements. Then again all the ball hog goal scorers will say they are more valuable than a defender that can’t score.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And if you play for one of the clubs whose director is involved.... there won’t be a choice as to which event you go to. forget Under Armour... you will go to American Select

Whining starting already ! Those coaches won’t be involved in selecting if you can read. Also those coaches have some pretty good history at selecting kids and winning. I think I see 7 different clubs involved as well ! The players for these teams usually come from teams with the best records in each area. Why is that ? Same ones that get recruited by the better schools too![/quote]

Not whining, just pointing out the facts, if you think this event will be any different than UA... it’ll be more of the same..just money being deposited to a different bank account

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Whining starting already ! Those coaches won’t be involved in selecting if you can read. Also those coaches have some pretty good history at selecting kids and winning. I think I see 7 different clubs involved as well ! The players for these teams usually come from teams with the best records in each area. Why is that ? Same ones that get recruited by the better schools too!

Not whining, just pointing out the facts, if you think this event will be any different than UA... it’ll be more of the same..just money being deposited to a different bank account[/quote]

Enough already. Don’t do it. Let those that want to go ahead and try. Fact is good players make these teams and some good ones get left out. May not play well on tryout day or have what evaluators look for. Sounds like you have a problem for every solution.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Whining starting already ! Those coaches won’t be involved
in selecting if you can read. Also those coaches have some pretty good history at selecting kids and winning. I think I see 7 different clubs involved as well ! The players for these teams usually come from teams with the best records in each area. Why is that ? Same ones that get recruited by the better schools too!

Not whining, just pointing out the facts, if you think this event will be any different than UA... it’ll be more of the same..just money being deposited to a different bank account

Enough already. Don’t do it. Let those that want to go ahead and try. Fact is good players make these teams and some good ones get left out. May not play well on tryout day or have what evaluators look for. Sounds like you have a problem for every solution.[/quote]

You should be selected for UA for everything you do in HS and club. Still be some politics but you telling me a kid who scores 50 in conf 1 and is a top player in club has a bad tryout should be cut based off tryout then you don’t want to win the tourney.
Just like USA hockey or hoops. they pick the best talent. they know who the best girls are going into tryouts and that’s why people say maybe 3-5 spots are open.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Whining starting already ! Those coaches won’t be involved
in selecting if you can read. Also those coaches have some pretty good history at selecting kids and winning. I think I see 7 different clubs involved as well ! The players for these teams usually come from teams with the best records in each area. Why is that ? Same ones that get recruited by the better schools too!

Enough already. Don’t do it. Let those that want to go ahead and try. Fact is good players make these teams and some good ones get left out. May not play well on tryout day or have what evaluators look for. Sounds like you have a problem for every solution.

You should be selected for UA for everything you do in HS and club. Still be some politics but you telling me a kid who scores 50 in conf 1 and is a top player in club has a bad tryout should be cut based off tryout then you don’t want to win the tourney.
Just like USA hockey or hoops. they pick the best talent. they know who the best girls are going into tryouts and that’s why people say maybe 3-5 spots are open.[/quote]

So send invites to the top kids in the IAAM
and you don’t need tryouts. Best players play in A conference. Not sure how you decide command team. Not all club teams play top level. By looks of it SW , Heros and M&D dominated rosters of both teams and all tournament.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just like USA hockey or hoops. they pick the best talent. they know who the best girls are going into tryouts and that’s why people say maybe 3-5 spots are open.[/quote]

The above statement is absurd. If you're just going to pick girls who someone considers the top players then why even have tryouts ? Instead of Under Armor 150 - just do an Under Armor top 25 and make it invite only. You're either invited or you're not. I'm sure area club coaches could agree on who they think the 25 of the strongest players in an area are. But if you're holding open tryouts that cost $125-$145 per girl then YES it should absolutely be based on the tryouts. If a girl is that good that she's getting "50 in conf 1" then it should show through tryouts. And if that same "50 in conf 1" player has a terrible tryout - then yes she should be cut. That is the purpose of an "open tryout". If it were done your way you would have to hold tryouts that were called "the first 18 spots of the roster are pre-decided and all 50 of you remaining girls can vie for 7 spots" tryouts. They would not be able to continue to attract girls to tryouts or girls would look for other events to go to - which is EXACTLY what is happening with American Select. Lord - People who make statements like the one above are the reason parents are on here complaining about tryouts being biased.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why are the tryouts so expensive? I guess UA tryout fees are subsidizing the "main event" what is the idea behind the AS tryout fees being nearly the same? You think the college coaches deciding the teams would have a vested interest in being there anyway? Maybe it is a way to pay the college assistants some extra scratch. It is weird. I expect a big turnout for the American select game tryouts in the hot bed areas at least. You would think they could make $50 a tryout max. Jack the cost of the "main" event if you need more money. I bet they just based it off UA tryout fees. Like how now all the clubs have matched M&D's fees for tryouts. I'm bleeding but coming back for more. Insane train leaving soon all Lax parents on board!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The best players will try out in May for AS. UA tryouts in July will get those that didn’t make it. Plenty enough talent to fill both rosters. AS is scaring UA because it goes off first and you know no girl wants to be left out and if you just go to UA you increase your chances of missing out.[/quote]

Why would any committed 2022 player pay the $595 to play on AS? I can see the 2023-2025 girls trying out for AS since it's first but was is the gain of playing for AS if you're already committed? Roll the dice and tryout for UA since the goal once committed is to get selected for the Senior UA AA team. Playing AS instead of UA Underclass is a mistake if that is your goal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The best players will try out in May for AS. UA tryouts in July will get those that didn’t make it. Plenty enough talent to fill both rosters. AS is scaring UA because it goes off first and you know no girl wants to be left out and if you just go to UA you increase your chances of missing out.

Why would any committed 2022 player pay the $595 to play on AS? I can see the 2023-2025 girls trying out for AS since it's first but was is the gain of playing for AS if you're already committed? Roll the dice and tryout for UA since the goal once committed is to get selected for the Senior UA AA team. Playing AS instead of UA Underclass is a mistake if that is your goal.[/quote]

Not sure who is telling you that AS is where the talent will go but they are lying.
Best players will still play UA. that’s a fact.
clubs involved with AS for the majority of their kids have a better shot and $$$$$. more teams for AS. only command and highlight and clubs don’t bring in the cash

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The best players will try out in May for AS. UA tryouts in July will get those that didn’t make it. Plenty enough talent to fill both rosters. AS is scaring UA because it goes off first and you know no girl wants to be left out and if you just go to UA you increase your chances of missing out.

Why would any committed 2022 player pay the $595 to play on AS? I can see the 2023-2025 girls trying out for AS since it's first but was is the gain of playing for AS if you're already committed? Roll the dice and tryout for UA since the goal once committed is to get selected for the Senior UA AA team. Playing AS instead of UA Underclass is a mistake if that is your goal.[/quote]

If a player had the choice of WHICH to play - UA or AS, which would they choose? Which looks better for them ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why would any committed 2022 player pay the $595 to play on AS? I can see the 2023-2025 girls trying out for AS since it's first but was is the gain of playing for AS if you're already committed? Roll the dice and tryout for UA since the goal once committed is to get selected for the Senior UA AA team. Playing AS instead of UA Underclass is a mistake if that is your goal.

If a player had the choice of WHICH to play - UA or AS, which would they choose? Which looks better for them ?[/quote]

UA every day of the week is the better option. I believe it will be much more difficult to make the UA team however

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just like USA hockey or hoops. they pick the best talent. they know who the best girls are going into tryouts and that’s why people say maybe 3-5 spots are open.

The above statement is absurd. If you're just going to pick girls who someone considers the top players then why even have tryouts ? Instead of Under Armor 150 - just

do an Under Armor top 25 and make it invite only. You're either invited or you're not. I'm sure area club coaches could agree on who they think the 25 of the strongest players in an area are. But if you're holding open tryouts that cost $125-$145 per girl then YES it should absolutely be based on the tryouts. If a girl is that good that she's getting "50 in conf 1" then it should show through tryouts. And if that same "50 in conf 1" player has a terrible tryout - then yes she should be cut. That is the purpose of an "open tryout". If it were done your way you would have to hold tryouts that were called "the first 18 spots of the roster are pre-decided and all 50 of you remaining girls can vie for 7 spots" tryouts. They would not be able to continue to attract girls to tryouts or girls would look for other events to go to - which is EXACTLY what is happening with American Select. Lord - People who make statements like the one above are the reason parents are on here complaining about tryouts being biased.[/quote]

Because the $$$$$ is in the tryout fee.
And 120 parents think that maybe their Katie can grab one of those 3-5 spots. Now that’s the truth and the best part is it’s up to you whether you think $150 is worth that shot. Unless of course your kid scored 57 for McDonough last spring then you are a lock.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If a player had the choice of WHICH to play - UA or AS, which would they choose? Which looks better for them ?[/quote]

UA is much more important in terms of being selected for the UA Senior AA game. If anything skipping UA underclass for AS may hurt you in that process

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the dads (I’m guessing) have lost their minds on this forum. I checked it out because my son plays HS and wanted right see what people were thinking about the HS MIAA/IAAM season. Like on the boys side, a lot of garbage given to UA selections. Generally you can argue with a few at the margins but the best players make it and shocker also play on the top few clubs. It’s not a conspiracy but the boys thread is like 10% as worked up as over here. Move on dads!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If a player had the choice of WHICH to play - UA or AS, which would they choose? Which looks better for them ?

UA every day of the week is the better option. I believe it will be much more difficult to make the UA team however[/quote]

Neither matter for recruiting. Just ask anyone who's been through the process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UA every day of the week is the better option. I believe it will be much more difficult to make the UA team however
Isn’t this the first year for AS? How can you make the statement if this is the first year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UA has lost it's credibility and luster....it is not the "best" of the "best"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UA is much more important in terms of being selected for the UA Senior AA game. If anything skipping UA underclass for AS may hurt you in that process[/quote
making a UA underclass team is not a condition for the making the UA senior game. There have been plenty of boys and girls that have made the senior game that may have only played 1 or 2 years on a underclass team or may not have ever played on a underclass team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Neither matter for recruiting. Just ask anyone who's been through the process.[/quote]
you are correct

Neither matter for recruiting. Just ask anyone who's been through the process.[/quote]
you are correct

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UA is much more important in terms of being selected for the UA Senior AA game. If anything skipping UA underclass for AS may hurt you in that process[/quote
making a UA underclass team is not a condition for the making the UA senior game. There have been plenty of boys and girls that have made the senior game that may have only played 1 or 2 years on a underclass team or may not have ever played on a underclass team.

It sounds like UA is the team to make, AS will pick up the kids that didnt make UA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let’s see who skips AS and waits to July to just try and make UA ! My bet is lots will tryout , commit and pay before UA gets to July 6 tryout date.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Never said it was a condition. But it certainly gets you on Corrigans and IL's radar. Considering they're the one's that choose the Senior UA teams it certainly helps. Look at the watch list Corrigan put out. Where do you think most of those names came from?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let’s see who skips AS and waits to July to just try and make UA ! My bet is lots will tryout , commit and pay before UA gets to July 6 tryout date.

I'm sure AS will require payment prior to the UA tryouts. $595 is just crazy. $720 including tryout. You can go to 2-3 camps on college campuses for that money. What do you think you are getting for that money? The same coaches on the sidelines of AS will be on the sideline of whatever tournaments your daughter's club team will be playing in all summer. The draw of UA is that it a cool honor for the kids and IT'S FREE. If it was $595 I doubt I would have ever let my kids play in it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It sounds like UA is the team to make, AS will pick up the kids that didnt make UA.

It won't be able to work that way since the AS tryouts are much earlier. If you want to make UA you will have to run that risk of not making it and not playing in either event.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UA is not that important, give me a break...UA Senior AA game is not that important, give me a break

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UA is not that important, give me a break...UA Senior AA game is not that important, give me a break

Of course it's not that "important". But it means a lot to the kids that have worked so hard over the years to be recognized. Stop being obtuse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know how Under Armour 150 selects the players? How important is their game video submission? Do they only take so many from each club/team? And for folks who have been to the event in the past - is it a good one to go to? Thanks in advance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try out for AS, if you make it pay them Try out for UA and if you make it now you can decide where to go.
The folks running these events know how to separate you from your money. The timing and scheduling of these tryouts and events is not random.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know how Under Armour 150 selects the players? How important is their game video submission? Do they only take so many from each club/team? And for folks who have been to the event in the past - is it a good one to go to? Thanks in advance.

I don’t believe the event is very selective, offers are sent to most club players.
The value of any film is currently very high.. the entire 2022 class was selected based on film. The more film you can have at your disposal will be a bonus. If things return to 2019 and coaches are roaming events again, the value of film will be decreased, it’s never unless tho.
The only negative to this type of event is you will be placed on a random team with disparate skill levels. If you’re on a weak team and play attack the ball may never get to your end, same with goalie or defense on a stronger team.
Like any event, if it fits in your schedule and you can afford, it’s worth going too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Does anyone know how Under Armour 150 selects the players? How important is their game video submission? Do they only take so many from each club/team? And for folks who have been to the event in the past - is it a good one to go to? Thanks in advance.

This year it's the same time as the new HS National Championship tournament. The college coaches will be at the HS Championships. If your team isn't going to that tournament, I'd go to UA150 for some film.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1500 players tried out for 300 spots. So maybe more selective than in years past?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We got great film from our stint at UA 150. My daughter is a defensive middie and some of these girls were like putty in her hands. She got very good film from this tournament because of it. Note that some of these girls were like fish out of water back in the "Big East".
The selection of players seemed very random though. Lots of flyover country girls. There was a good sprinkling of girls from all clubs, not overloaded with one club and it seemed the organizers did not let that happen - that means some SW and M&D girls probably were turned away.
They got over 1500 submissions this year and with Covid, building accolades has been difficult so I think thats why so many girls applied this year. Its all about building your recruit profile so you need as many accolades as possible. Just like the person said about the 22's--- recruited all on film.
I say if you get the chance - do it. Its during the week, you get lots of film, and great swag.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought the HS national championship was a 4 day event? Wouldn't college coaches try to do both events?

Like Reply Quote
Page 18 of 117 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 116 117
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard