BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted!! PWant FILLED REGISTRATIONS, REAL SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS for you? Contact us! | Be Part of Our Intriguing Newsletter List and Our Elite Community: Influence & Network with U.S. based Laxers!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 180 of 263 1 2 178 179 180 181 182 262 263
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Are the rumors true???? How many of the top high school players transferring to Md to play in the miaa A this season?

No

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the rumors true???? How many of the top high school players transferring to Md to play in the miaa A this season?

No
The rumors are true, lets see if they can pull the trigger and actually make the move.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No
The rumors are true, lets see if they can pull the trigger and actually make the move.

That will go over real well with MD parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son plays in a state which hasn't greenlighted 'High Risk Sports' - boys lacrosse is in that category. He would never consider moving to another state to play ball. Said it would be abandoning his team and putting himself above his teamates and school. Any kid who does that should give up the right to be a captain of any sport at his home school IMO.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son plays in a state which hasn't greenlighted 'High Risk Sports' - boys lacrosse is in that category. He would never consider moving to another state to play ball. Said it would be abandoning his team and putting himself above his teamates and school. Any kid who does that should give up the right to be a captain of any sport at his home school IMO.
Your certainly entitled to your opinion, but I give credit for parents looking after their kids best interest. Misery loves company, you'll all be on the sidelines this summer complaining about the state, the administrators, and coaches that did nothing for these kids.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
....so it’s in their kids best interest to move to MD, attend a school with strangers for $$$ and break up the family unit for 5 months. Got it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It good be an interesting debate... If you honestly feel that it would benefit your child by potentially getting into a better school. I think it is along the same lines of holding your child back. No, my child is not a holdback but would recommend it for my grandchildren... "attend a school with strangers for $$$ and break up the family unit for 5" kinda like sending them to college?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
TD Ierland is leaving Yale to have an opportunity to play his senior year as its in his best interest. It would be in any HS players best interest facing the same challenge to move to a state they are playing the sport they are either committed to or plan on playing in college. The rest of the country is moving forward w sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2 Freeport football players moved to Georgia for senior year and ended up on State Champion team. It helped with their recruiting prospect. It's a huge move but considering the way things are it's not such a bad option if that's what the student is really looking for. My son was a 2020 and quite a few of his contemporaries ended up doing a PG year and are committed to some great schools. Obviously not realistic for all but something to be considered.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You get 4 years in HS. Sitting at home in front of a screen is fine for some, but for others who can afford an alternative and want to enjoy the HS experience in a reasonably safe way, why not? There are many kids who will potentially miss out on 2 years of HS sports, not to mention interacting in-person with peers and getting instruction in a more meaningful way. This isn't every man for himself. Others are free to look for alternatives or do nothing and hope for the best. The haves vs. have nots is no different during a pandemic than in ordinary times. I do think the commenter pointing out that MD parents won't be happy is probably true, but they should be used to Calvert Hall and other schools looking to recruit your replacement the moment they have you on campus. Not much different than college.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2 young Men from Freeport who I know, are in a much different situation then Lacrosse players from LI. They transferred because the have a legitimate chance of plying Pro making real Money and had family down in Georgia to live with and public school. So great decision I think. For Lacrosse players there are know public schools in Maryland worth going to for lax and private school there is 25k on the low end up 35-45k per year most. All to say you had a high school season or experience, leaving your friends you’ve had since 1st grade both in school and travel and know million dollar plus potential contract at the end of it, just doesn’t make sense to me. Even if someone has the means to do it, it’s a high price. Just my opinion. Apples to oranges.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
....so it’s in their kids best interest to move to MD, attend a school with strangers for $$$ and break up the family unit for 5 months. Got it.

So your kid is going to attend Nassau/Adelphi/Post and continue to live at home...? Or will you allow them to "leave the nest" ONLY for college?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2 young Men from Freeport who I know, are in a much different situation then Lacrosse players from LI. They transferred because the have a legitimate chance of plying Pro making real Money and had family down in Georgia to live with and public school. So great decision I think. For Lacrosse players there are know public schools in Maryland worth going to for lax and private school there is 25k on the low end up 35-45k per year most. All to say you had a high school season or experience, leaving your friends you’ve had since 1st grade both in school and travel and know million dollar plus potential contract at the end of it, just doesn’t make sense to me. Even if someone has the means to do it, it’s a high price. Just my opinion. Apples to oranges.
Do you have any idea how significant it is to have a chance to go to an Ivy or top ranked University? A "chance" of playing pro??? How about a chance to go to a great school, get a great education, get a great job, and have lifetime earnings greater than 75% of professional athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually glad you asked the question, I am a product an Ivory league school. While I am glad I went to great University it did not make me who I am nor did it determine how success I am, It was all up to me and to be honest my life would not be any different if I had decided to go to any other College or University. I will not force my kids to go to any college or University simply because one may or may not be a better Education. Rather I have taught them to work hard for what they want and to go after it, it’s there work ethic and confidence that will make them successful. In fact, my two partners in my Practice both graduated from State Universities and most of our employees over half are from non-Ivory’s or what you would consider top Universities probably. I hire people for who they are, Not the high school or college they attended.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It looks like we can all remain in NY, looks like HS sports are about to start up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually glad you asked the question, I am a product an Ivory league school. While I am glad I went to great University it did not make me who I am nor did it determine how success I am, It was all up to me and to be honest my life would not be any different if I had decided to go to any other College or University. I will not force my kids to go to any college or University simply because one may or may not be a better Education. Rather I have taught them to work hard for what they want and to go after it, it’s there work ethic and confidence that will make them successful. In fact, my two partners in my Practice both graduated from State Universities and most of our employees over half are from non-Ivory’s or what you would consider top Universities probably. I hire people for who they are, Not the high school or college they attended.

You are correct. It is the person not the school. I have many Ivy League graduates who work for me. Many of them produce subpar work and can’t make it in our business. However, Ivy League and top schools do give many more opportunities so long as they are taken advantage of. There are no guarantees just because somebody attends an Ivy League school. Having said all that with the exception of Yale, Harvard and Princeton there is really no difference between the other Ivy League schools and schools such as Williams, Duke, Hopkins, University of Virginia, Georgetown and other schools in that top 30 category. Schools rank six through 30 are identical when it comes to opportunity and success of graduates.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are correct. It is the person not the school. I have many Ivy League graduates who work for me. Many of them produce subpar work and can’t make it in our business. However, Ivy League and top schools do give many more opportunities so long as they are taken advantage of. There are no guarantees just because somebody attends an Ivy League school. Having said all that with the exception of Yale, Harvard and Princeton there is really no difference between the other Ivy League schools and schools such as Williams, Duke, Hopkins, University of Virginia, Georgetown and other schools in that top 30 category. Schools rank six through 30 are identical when it comes to opportunity and success of graduates.

Lol. Those schools are not identical “the other” Ivies. Schools are ranked for a reason. A number 8 school is not comparable to a #20 school. The only thing I might add is that it also depends on your major. For example Penn (Ivy) has the #1 ranked business schools but you would be better off attending Michigan (#3), than Cornell, UNC, UVA (#7 tie). Princeton, Yale, Harvard not even in top. Do your research and go to the highest ranked program at a school you can get into. Check this out:

usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-overall

cnbc.com/2019/07/31/wealth-x-the-20-American-universities-that-produce-the-richest-grads.html

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lol. Those schools are not identical “the other” Ivies. Schools are ranked for a reason. A number 8 school is not comparable to a #20 school. The only thing I might add is that it also depends on your major. For example Penn (Ivy) has the #1 ranked business schools but you would be better off attending Michigan (#3), than Cornell, UNC, UVA (#7 tie). Princeton, Yale, Harvard not even in top. Do your research and go to the highest ranked program at a school you can get into. Check this out:

cnbc.com/2019/07/31/wealth-x-the-20-American-universities-that-produce-the-richest-grads.html
Thanks

Us news not the best ranking. Too many factors considered that most people don’t care about. Rankings mean nothing. The difference in score between numbers 6 and 30 are fractions of a point. Although they are number 6 and 30 in rankings given that a fraction of a point separates 25 different schools it is a virtual tie and the difference is not significant to base your decision on. You will impress your neighbors saying you go to number six but the important employers and the various admission officers at top schools and graduate programs know they are the same. If highest income is the only concern there are schools not in the top 20 that produce very high paying jobs. Ivy League schools have a lot of rich kids with huge connection getting very high paying jobs that give a false impression of graduated income. In fact a lot of non ivy also give that false impression. The better indicator is social mobility. A low income person moving to high income. Again those schools around ranked 6-39 are about the same in that category as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, this is the densest thing I've seen posted here in a while.

Maybe even worse than the ESL guy above claiming to be an "Ivory League" alum. LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe even worse than the ESL guy above claiming to be an "Ivory League" alum. LOL

Says they guy whose kid went to Georgetown and thinks that’s the same as an Ivy League degree. Wake up!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually it is not dense. It is very informed. Let’s get some education on US news world report rankings. They have national universities, liberal arts and regional universities. National and liberal arts are self-explanatory. Regional are the rankings of schools that don’t have a big presence of graduate schools but Undergraduate programs undergraduate programs are comparable to the liberal arts and national universities as they are scored the same. The only way to compare the schools that are in different categories is by comparing the total US news and world report score. Georgetown, ranked 22 has a US news score of 81. It is a national university. Providence has a US news score of 100 which is much higher than Georgetown. It is also higher than UPenn and others such as Cornell. Providence is a regional university because it does not have the presence of many grad schools. If it was a national university technically it would be ranked just as high as some of the Ivy leagues. So the above posts are correct and rankings mean absolutely nothing. If you wish to follow the rankings don’t look at what number a school is ranked. That is meaningless. You must look at the overall score to get a perspective of what that ranking actually means. You must look at the US news and world report score If you truly want to follow the rankings. But like many said above the rankings mean absolutely nothing for those who are actually hiring graduates from top universities and in the admissions office of graduate schools. Although providence is a very good school I don’t think anybody would say it can compare to Georgetown or UPenn. However If you never heard of any of these schools before and followed only the rankings and US news scores you would think Providence was better than Ivy league schools. The graduate schools know that and so do the hiring partners at big Firms and ignore rankings.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Says they guy whose kid went to Georgetown and thinks that’s the same as an Ivy League degree. Wake up!

Do you really think Cornell is better than Georgetown? I will tell you that the ones doing the hiring do not think that way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just look at the stats. Grade point average for students admitted to the University of Virginia 4.35, Georgetown 4.01 ,Cornell 4.07 and UPenn 3.88 all out of 4.0. They all have the same ACT and SAT scores. They all seem very similar with Virginia being the highest admitted grade point average and Upenn being the lowest. I find it hard to believe that there is a distinction between any of these schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only thing the Ivies have over Georgetown are a few more woke points. Got the Hoyas beat there, but not by much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Georgetown is not too snabby.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just look at the stats. Grade point average for students admitted to the University of Virginia 4.35, Georgetown 4.01 ,Cornell 4.07 and UPenn 3.88 all out of 4.0. They all have the same ACT and SAT scores. They all seem very similar with Virginia being the highest admitted grade point average and Upenn being the lowest. I find it hard to believe that there is a distinction between any of these schools.

Double checked the grade point average listed. They are correct with the exception of Cornell. Cornell is a 3.9. So the highest GPAs of those schools are Virginia which is the highest and Georgetown is the second highest. U Penn is the lowest. Everybody including prospective employers knows the Ivy League schools do not take the smartest kids anymore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just look at the stats. Grade point average for students admitted to the University of Virginia 4.35, Georgetown 4.01 ,Cornell 4.07 and UPenn 3.88 all out of 4.0. They all have the same ACT and SAT scores. They all seem very similar with Virginia being the highest admitted grade point average and Upenn being the lowest. I find it hard to believe that there is a distinction between any of these schools.[/quote]

Double checked the grade point average listed. They are correct with the exception of Cornell. Cornell is a 3.9. So the highest GPAs of those schools are Virginia which is the highest and Georgetown is the second highest. U Penn is the lowest. Everybody including prospective employers knows the Ivy League schools do not take the smartest kids anymore.[/quote]

GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance. Every HS has its own way to calculate GPA so its not apples to apples.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Double checked the grade point average listed. They are correct with the exception of Cornell. Cornell is a 3.9. So the highest GPAs of those schools are Virginia which is the highest and Georgetown is the second highest. U Penn is the lowest. Everybody including prospective employers knows the Ivy League schools do not take the smartest kids anymore.[/quote]

GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance. Every HS has its own way to calculate GPA so its not apples to apples.[/quote]

Very true. HS grades are over inflated due in part to whining parents. SAT more valuable as a metric. Since all these kids have identical SATs, the top schools look for unique talent/skill/accomplishment. Getting into an elite school opens so many doors, but in the end you want your kid to LOVE the school and the coach. You also want them to get a high paying job. Here is a list of average salaries by school:

https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/bachelors

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance. Every HS has its own way to calculate GPA so its not apples to apples.[/quote]

Pretty sure most if not all Ivy's use an "unweighted" GPA (4.0 scale) for admissions... Many schools do in fact use a "weighted" GPA that is why some schools show higher than a 4.0.... Also, High Schools are all very different some being more competitive than others... definitely not comparing apples to apples... and, as the post above states, "GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Double checked the grade point average listed. They are correct with the exception of Cornell. Cornell is a 3.9. So the highest GPAs of those schools are Virginia which is the highest and Georgetown is the second highest. U Penn is the lowest. Everybody including prospective employers knows the Ivy League schools do not take the smartest kids anymore.

Pretty sure most if not all Ivy's use an "unweighted" GPA (4.0 scale) for admissions... Many schools do in fact use a "weighted" GPA that is why some schools show higher than a 4.0.... Also, High Schools are all very different some being more competitive than others... definitely not comparing apples to apples... and, as the post above states, "GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance".[/quote]

All colleges use weighted. I think the point is that all the GPAs are so close between the top colleges and the Ivy league that prospective student should not pick a school just because it is Ivy League. There are other options that will give a student the same opportunities. One consideration with the Ivy schools that many fail to consider is the type of student that attends an Ivy may not be what a lacrosse player will fit in.It is very important to fit in and that is why maybe some other options in the top 20 - 30 would better suit a student athlete and make them more successful and happy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance. Every HS has its own way to calculate GPA so its not apples to apples.

Pretty sure most if not all Ivy's use an "unweighted" GPA (4.0 scale) for admissions... Many schools do in fact use a "weighted" GPA that is why some schools show higher than a 4.0.... Also, High Schools are all very different some being more competitive than others... definitely not comparing apples to apples... and, as the post above states, "GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance".[/quote]

All colleges use weighted. I think the point is that all the GPAs are so close between the top colleges and the Ivy league that prospective student should not pick a school just because it is Ivy League. There are other options that will give a student the same opportunities. One consideration with the Ivy schools that many fail to consider is the type of student that attends an Ivy may not be what a lacrosse player will fit in.It is very important to fit in and that is why maybe some other options in the top 20 - 30 would better suit a student athlete and make them more successful and happy.[/quote]

I know many, many lacrosse players who attended or are currently enrolled at Ivy League schools going back to the 1970's and the vast majority are very happy with their decisions. My son has several friends at Ivy league schools (he does not attend an Ivy) but his friends appear to be happy with their choice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pretty sure most if not all Ivy's use an "unweighted" GPA (4.0 scale) for admissions... Many schools do in fact use a "weighted" GPA that is why some schools show higher than a 4.0.... Also, High Schools are all very different some being more competitive than others... definitely not comparing apples to apples... and, as the post above states, "GPA is just a small piece of the puzzle to college admittance".

All colleges use weighted. I think the point is that all the GPAs are so close between the top colleges and the Ivy league that prospective student should not pick a school just because it is Ivy League. There are other options that will give a student the same opportunities. One consideration with the Ivy schools that many fail to consider is the type of student that attends an Ivy may not be what a lacrosse player will fit in.It is very important to fit in and that is why maybe some other options in the top 20 - 30 would better suit a student athlete and make them more successful and happy.[/quote]

I know many, many lacrosse players who attended or are currently enrolled at Ivy League schools going back to the 1970's and the vast majority are very happy with their decisions. My son has several friends at Ivy league schools (he does not attend an Ivy) but his friends appear to be happy with their choice.[/quote]

Yes of course many are happy. My oldest who got into Ivy league schools for grades and other factors and not athletics, decided not to go to those schools after accepted students day visits. Went to another top school and is very happy. There is no one size fits all for any school or any group of Schools. I think it is mandatory to visit any school a student is considering during the fall or spring sessions. It is very helpful to see who you will be going to school with and the type of students. It is also very important when considering a cold climate, like upstate New York, to visit in the winter. We visited Cornell three times. It was absolutely beautiful in the summer and top on the list. However during the winter it was very depressing and a little better during accepted students day in the spring. But I would agree that it is very impressive going to an Ivy League school. If a student is not the strongest and getting in because of athletics it is much better getting a lower grade from an Ivy League school then one of the other top schools. There are so many factors to consider.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
High School season is getting close, hopefully. Who are the top 10 Nassau HS public school teams this year? No bashing please.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spring sports will not have State Championships this year. Just hope they can get in any kind of season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Garden City, Manhasset, Massapequa, Cold Spring Harbor, Syosset are top dogs in 2021.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Garden City, Manhasset, Massapequa, Cold Spring Harbor, Syosset are top dogs in 2021.
You should probably add Farming Dale to that list.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
High School season is getting close, hopefully. Who are the top 10 Nassau HS public school teams this year? No bashing please.
holdbacks, transfers, opt outs. The next several years will be rough for recruits and players in the hs scene.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

based on what? stats from 2019?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know of any good clinics for offensive players or any pickup games going on for this age group?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

based on what? stats from 2019?

Well what is your prediction? Those are historically the best teams in Nassau.

Like Reply Quote
Page 180 of 263 1 2 178 179 180 181 182 262 263
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard