BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted!! PWant FILLED REGISTRATIONS, REAL SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS for you? Contact us! | Be Part of Our Intriguing Newsletter List and Our Elite Community: Influence & Network with U.S. based Laxers!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 72 of 96 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 95 96
Re: Westchester NY Youth Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son has been on PrimeTime for a number of years. What I like is that they have only one team at each grade level and the organization is fully committed to those players. The program director knows each player and family. There is no money grab secondary team distractions like many other programs. Yes, rosters are more fluid at the younger grades, but stabilize at the high school level with few roster changes in those years. It is much harder to crack the roster at the HS level.
Couldn't agree more. My son was on PT from the fourth grade through graduation and he absolutely loved it. My experience was that it was as well run an organization you could ask for and the coaching was top notch.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2Way Black is the AA team as Carolina is the A team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
While people in this forum have talked about the decline Y and to get a bit of perspective on Y, i recent found the following article in the NYT from 1981 about lax in Westchester:

LACROSSE BOOMING AT HIGH SCHOOLS https://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/26/nyre ... ools.html (https://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/26/nyregion/lacrosse-booming-at-high-schools.html)

Several interesting points are mentioned, but Y's competition in 1981 was Mamaroneck, Greeley WP, Fox Lane and Croton. None of these programs have reached the level of Y and they all have been around since the formation of Westchester lax.

Lets give Y the respect they deserve in setting the bar and maintaining a consistent program over 50 years!

FYI, the article was found in the reinvented laxpower forums. Also, i'm not from Y, but I've been involved in Westchester lax since 1984 and i know Y remains the top program in section 1.

You might be a little out of touch with current reality. Ytown has lost its leadership and along with it, its enviable team play and superiority. Once its gone, very hard to get back.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop with the nonsense of Yorktown being so great. Reality is that last year they were worse than John Jay, Mamaroneck, and Rye. In the future, Rye, Mamaroneck and even teams like Bronxville will be better, with more young talent than Yorktown.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why all the Y bashing? How about we give them credit for running a youth program that a lot of towns have modeled. Yorktown is mostly a blue collar town and parents do not have the resources to have their kids play on an elite travel team, The sport has evolved greatly since the 80,s and 90,s.
Kids these days are much better athletes. There was no such thing as speed and agility training back then. There is no doubt that other programs have caught up and possibly over taken Yorktown, but 1 or 2 mediocre seasons cannot take away years of success.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop with the nonsense of Yorktown being so great. Reality is that last year they were worse than John Jay, Mamaroneck, and Rye. In the future, Rye, Mamaroneck and even teams like Bronxville will be better, with more young talent than Yorktown.
Yorktown has had the better players but has been out coached in recent years. Watch the last two Section finals, especially the most recent or just ask the JJ coaches, they will tell you. I am a long time Yorktown resident.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yorktown has had the better players but has been out coached in recent years. Watch the last two Section finals, especially the most recent or just ask the JJ coaches, they will tell you. I am a long time Yorktown resident.

I agree with this sentiment and Rye and Mamaroneck should be dominant this year. The traditional powerhouses just don't have the same talent anymore. I cant speak for Yorktown but if you look at John Jay for years they were sending 5-10 kids a year to D1 and top D2 and D3 programs yearly. Last year they had one D1 commit and this year they have a one D1 commit as well. The 2022 class has zero commits to date. Eventually I am sure they will have a commit or two but the bottom line is in years past they has many players go on to top schools. Maybe its a temporary blip but times are a changing and the traditional powerhouses will be relying more on coaching if they don't have the talent..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just a quick reminder, John Jay was in The state finals last lacrosse season and Yorktown beat Mamaroneck approx 9-6.
Lots more parity in the section but why the all or nothing comments

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yorktown beat Rye that same season 8-4 and lost to JJ 7-6 after hitting 5 posts in the 2nd half of the sectional final
Important to keep some perspective

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just a quick reminder, John Jay was in The state finals last lacrosse season and Yorktown beat Mamaroneck approx 9-6.
Lots more parity in the section but why the all or nothing comments

Agreed. For Yorktown to even play and beat these teams in competitive games may be doom and gloom for Ytown but until south westchester actually win a game, it's forum talk.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any good clinics for over the break? For a 2024 pole?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any good clinics for over the break? For a 2024 pole?

you should follow Ric Beardsley on Instagram. Hi is having at least two next week abd im sure they are both sold out.

He often comes back to the area and conducts long pole clinics

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have info on last night's Zoom meeting regarding the HV Youth League?

The league is finally considering in making changes and becoming a more structured league with standings and playoffs.

The league has been organized and led by John Hemsley, he does a great job too. But, with the new competitive youth league forming out of SUNY Purchase ($3k per team) and the 800 lb gorilla next door (CONNY), it seems that John is now pressured to make changes.

The elite and affluent programs will excel and the rest will be playing catch-up.

Good Luck John H

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have info on last night's Zoom meeting regarding the HV Youth League?

The league is finally considering in making changes and becoming a more structured league with standings and playoffs.

The league has been organized and led by John Hemsley, he does a great job too. But, with the new competitive youth league forming out of SUNY Purchase ($3k per team) and the 800 lb gorilla next door (CONNY), it seems that John is now pressured to make changes.

The elite and affluent programs will excel and the rest will be playing catch-up.

Good Luck John H

Hwy doesn't the HV League join CONNY? It is a really easy, mellow league to be apart of.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone thought about spring rankings for Westchester schools, private and public? Always fun to see drama with rankings. Curious to see how young talent will effect schools two years after we got a good luck at the teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do you rank when no one has even had a practice yet? most "normal" years you can look at returning players for some estimates... This year's seniors last played HS school lax as Sophomores. Most current sophomores have never played in a HS game and a good portion of them haven't held a stick in almost a year even at the club level, some in almost 2. Winter league lax was devoid of most football and basketball players...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do you rank when no one has even had a practice yet? most "normal" years you can look at returning players for some estimates... This year's seniors last played HS school lax as Sophomores. Most current sophomores have never played in a HS game and a good portion of them haven't held a stick in almost a year even at the club level, some in almost 2. Winter league lax was devoid of most football and basketball players...

I do disagree with your statement that players haven't held a stick in almost a year (or 2). Club lacrosse did not shutdown in 2020.

While I do acknowledge that not all lax players play club ball, but, at least 25% of all section 1 lax players play club ball. Some communities it would be as high as 50% of the team that plays club lax.
I've seen Pelham, Larchmont and Briarcliff playing in a thriving winter HS league in Chelsea piers (CT). Briarcliff looks stacked too!

Also, I'm sure that the traditional programs like JJ, Lakeland, Somers, Mahopac and Yorktown are conducting winter practices.

I'm guessing that your son does play, but you guys are not from a lax town.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I do disagree with your statement that players haven't held a stick in almost a year (or 2). Club lacrosse did not shutdown in 2020.

While I do acknowledge that not all lax players play club ball, but, at least 25% of all section 1 lax players play club ball. Some communities it would be as high as 50% of the team that plays club lax.
I've seen Pelham, Larchmont and Briarcliff playing in a thriving winter HS league in Chelsea piers (CT). Briarcliff looks stacked too!

Also, I'm sure that the traditional programs like JJ, Lakeland, Somers, Mahopac and Yorktown are conducting winter practices.

"I do disagree with your statement that players haven't held a stick in almost a year (or 2). Club lacrosse did not shutdown in 2020."
"at least 25% of all section 1 lax players play club ball. Some communities it would be as high as 50% of the team that plays club lax."

Re-Read.... especially the part that says "***a good portion***" 50%-75% by your own estimate is "a good portion"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"I do disagree with your statement that players haven't held a stick in almost a year (or 2). Club lacrosse did not shutdown in 2020."
"at least 25% of all section 1 lax players play club ball. Some communities it would be as high as 50% of the team that plays club lax."

Re-Read.... especially the part that says "***a good portion***" 50%-75% by your own estimate is "a good portion"

Fair point and I should have analyzed every word.

But seriously, you are not from a lax town. Because your point was how to rank the programs when teams (like your son's) haven't done much.

Well, the tradition rich programs haven't missed a beat and they will remain top dogs and then the majority of programs will be below them.

Doesn't really matter this year anyway, especially since their is no state playoffs. I'm guessing that each team will get 8-10 games and the power teams will all play each other.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fair point and I should have analyzed every word.

But seriously, you are not from a lax town. Because your point was how to rank the programs when teams (like your son's) haven't done much.

Well, the tradition rich programs haven't missed a beat and they will remain top dogs and then the majority of programs will be below them.

Doesn't really matter this year anyway, especially since their is no state playoffs. I'm guessing that each team will get 8-10 games and the power teams will all play each other.

My son and his HS team did play at Chelsea Pier CT for the winter league, although his HS wasn't one you mentioned above. The talent that you saw at CPCT does not reflect the true team compositions as many high level Football and Basketball players did not compete in the CP winter league so how can you get a good idea of ranking?
also.. parents were barred from the fieldhouse level at CP so most have no idea how "thriving & stacked" teams looked.
- Agreed that the top 25-50% of kids are fully involved with travel and winter teams... but, especially with travel, the HS teams are disperse across multiple A level programs... my son and his HS classmates (same grade) play for any one of the several Express North, Prime Time, Preds, etc teams... so it's tough to get a good read on say Bronxville HS when their top 10 player are separately on 6 different travel teams.. you'd be shocked at how good our town program is... guaranteed that if we played your town, we won almost every time.... of course we might play for the same "town"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HS schedules are available on BOCES website, but not all games are posted yet.

Y is in a league with Arlington, Pac, Carmel and Wappingers. They Also play JJ and the red head step child. I expect Y to go undefeated.

B'cliff has 4 games posted and the last game is against B'ville; that should be a good game to watch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yorktown will not go undefeated this year before playoffs. Already have scheduled games against JJ, Rye, and Bronxville. Good team but will not beat all 3 of those teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just be happy the kids will get to play this year!! who cares what the record is

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yorktown will not go undefeated this year before playoffs. Already have scheduled games against JJ, Rye, and Bronxville. Good team but will not beat all 3 of those teams.

seems like all the top teams from A-D will play one another. Only glaring missing game is Ytown vs Mamo. that would have been a good one to see.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know how the Westchester players did at Nike Nationals up in Albany ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately, no way to know until rosters came out bc I believe some of the top kids could not make it bc of prep school and inability to leave but I am speculating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately, no way to know until rosters came out bc I believe some of the top kids could not make it bc of prep school and inability to leave but I am speculating.

I hope this is the reason for the lackluster play. Seemed to be average play at best and the elite boys in the age group didn't seem to be present. As yes I am saying this as the mother of a good but not elite lacrosse player who tried out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like all those things, it has tons of behind-the-scenes politics. 1- whoever coaches the teams pulls in their guys and guys from their region, 2- connected HS coaches influence decision, 3- at this age, reputation starts to matter so guys chosen based on name. Half this team they end up choosing wont have attended evals.

I hope this is the reason for the lackluster play. Seemed to be average play at best and the elite boys in the age group didn't seem to be present. As yes I am saying this as the mother of a good but not elite lacrosse player who tried out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like all those things, it has tons of behind-the-scenes politics. 1- whoever coaches the teams pulls in their guys and guys from their region, 2- connected HS coaches influence decision, 3- at this age, reputation starts to matter so guys chosen based on name. Half this team they end up choosing wont have attended evals.

Rosters anyone? Is it all Primetime?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
50% pt. Remember. If you live in ct. you could not tryout for ny. Rosters are on the website

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
50% pt. Remember. If you live in ct. you could not tryout for ny. Rosters are on the website

I thought this was exaggeration but the 2023 team has 11 PT members out of 22. and the 2024 team is 11/23.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought this was exaggeration but the 2023 team has 11 PT members out of 22. and the 2024 team is 11/23.
Is it a far reach though to say they have the majority of the best players in NY? Preds 3-4 kids per age group and Express North 3-4 per age group is probably the right regional breakdown.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just looked at the roster and, boy, the 2022 team from NY is going to get SMOKED down in Baltimore. There are too many teams in LaxNationals. There should be 8-10 teams total.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just looked at the roster and, boy, the 2022 team from NY is going to get SMOKED down in Baltimore. There are too many teams in LaxNationals. There should be 8-10 teams total.

Unfortunately, what you are seeing is probably going to be the case for most 2022's but especially NY. Many of the stars who have already committed play less lacrosse and want more personal summer time because as rising juniors they played all the time (even with COVID). Also I think it is what another poste noted -- the tryouts were pretty weak.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately, what you are seeing is probably going to be the case for most 2022's but especially NY. Many of the stars who have already committed play less lacrosse and want more personal summer time because as rising juniors they played all the time (even with COVID). Also I think it is what another poste noted -- the tryouts were pretty weak.
It does show the hotbeds of lax are still LI and DMV. UA does it as CONNY. Does that make it more competitive? UA combines classes at 8th/9th.......more summer lax. NY should hope to pull Mid America to have a shot at a win.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, the 2022 NY and CT teams both got defeated this fall in LaxNationals too - it's nothing to do with committed kids playing less. There just isn't enough talent in these areas to field a great team. Granted it was a COVID year so the boarding schools couldn't make the event bc they weren't allowed to leave campus. If UA were run properly with better coaches it would still be the premier event of the summer, but Corrigan tries to make money out of it by not paying coaches. The girls' side does not have this problem.

Last edited by JesLax1; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the only way these tryouts could ever possibly be fair or close to fair is if coaches from other regions picked the teams and even then , its questionable

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the only way these tryouts could ever possibly be fair or close to fair is if coaches from other regions picked the teams and even then , its questionable
If it is about putting the best regional team on the field doesn't reputation and past performance (no indicator of future returns) factor in to the tryouts? At this point in the game, from 22-24, you know who the top players are. Will the CT team be all Eclipse and PT kids? Probably but arent those the best kids around?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You folks are a funny!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So...Yorktown loses its best player and JJs best player decides to sit out. What happens next?

Like Reply Quote
Page 72 of 96 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 95 96
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard