BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20
Re: Boys 2024-9th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just curious, do you guys get off on ripping apart 9th. grade lacrosse teams? Oh, thats right, all of your kids are going to Duke. If any of you had a brain, you would invested your money in the market, namely a 529(go look that up). Instead, you are hoping for the big recruitment phone call. Good luck. I'll spare you the replies.

# mykidsux
# mykidisonaBteam

Hurry hurry quit lacrosse and invest 3k a year in a 529 you will become rich off 3k a year and your kid will rot in his room playing video games. Thanks for the investment insight Einstein but I’ll enjoy the years watching my child play lacrosse verse having a few extra meal deal dollars
Never said anything about quitting. But I'll help you out with the Einstein commment. You can put up to 10k a year into a qualified 529 plan, you get the tax benefit and when used for a qualified withdrawal, you don't pay taxes on the gains. You do the math, Einstein

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just to be clear, the money you put into a qualified 529 plan is after tax dollars, the only thing that does not get taxed is the gains on the investments, but only if they money is used for qualified educational expenses. Since we are talking about 9th graders here, I'm not too sure that investing 10k a year at this point is going to have huge tax benefits. However, if you have been investing in one since your children were young, then the tax benefits can be a lot greater.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious, do you guys get off on ripping apart 9th. grade lacrosse teams? Oh, thats right, all of your kids are going to Duke. If any of you had a brain, you would invested your money in the market, namely a 529(go look that up). Instead, you are hoping for the big recruitment phone call. Good luck. I'll spare you the replies.

# mykidsux
# mykidisonaBteam

Dude, kind of ironic, you write about ripping kids apart then finish your rant with two hashtags ripping kids.
#dope
#stunad

Genius, I was goofing on my kid.

Yeah, sarcasm is so evident on anonymous websites. You should never mock anyone's intelligence, you lack any semblance of it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most people who are spending money on their kids travel lacrosse are doing it for the experiences their kid is having, and are not seeking a ROI in the form of college money. Yes, they would love to have their kid leverage lacrosse to get into a better college, and they would love for it to result in some scholarship or aid, but such is not, for most, the principal reason they sign their kid up each year.
Most people who are spending money on their kids travel lacrosse are doing it for the experiences their kid is having, and are not seeking a ROI in the form of college money. Yes, they would love to have their kid leverage lacrosse to get into a better college, and they would love for it to result in some scholarship or aid, but such is not, for most, the principal reason they sign their kid up each year.

I agree with this. I’m not expecting any big return with my
Investment. But I’ve got to spend a lot of quality time with my kid and created some great memories. I don’t mean winning lacrosse games. I mean long car rides and laughing our jerks off. Getting late night meals while on the run. All while playing a game he still seems to really love. Yes I’ve spent a crazy amount of money on sports. The quality time you get with your Son/daughter makes it worth every penny.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, OP here who started this thread/trend. I'll eat some crow here. I think a lot if his was misinterpreted and I apologize for that. Yes, I enjoy watching my kid play and traveling with him , but when I see parents arguing over the better teams and ripping other teams apart, it just doesn't sit right. So, to all of you, Happy Holidays and be well during these time. Hope to see all of you on the fields this Spring and JV season.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is Igloo that far off the grid

Isn't AA trying to sell igloo or partner up with another club?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Igloo is on the way out
Just like outlaws did a bunch of years ago

It’s over “Rambo”

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just to be clear, the money you put into a qualified 529 plan is after tax dollars, the only thing that does not get taxed is the gains on the investments, but only if they money is used for qualified educational expenses. Since we are talking about 9th graders here, I'm not too sure that investing 10k a year at this point is going to have huge tax benefits. However, if you have been investing in one since your children were young, then the tax benefits can be a lot greater.
To the #mykidsux guy on here that thinks he knows anything about college admissions...here is a news flash. If your child is going to go to a PRIVATE institution, that money in a 527 will go against any FASA or CSS aid. So if you are an average person and are looking to get some need based/merit based aid, they will subtract a percentage of the 527 out of aid. So have a little clue before giving out financial advice from ( I guess) someone that has not been through the process. Talk to a college financial planner.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the #mykidsux guy on here that thinks he knows anything about college admissions...here is a news flash. If your child is going to go to a PRIVATE institution, that money in a 527 will go against any FASA or CSS aid. So if you are an average person and are looking to get some need based/merit based aid, they will subtract a percentage of the 527 out of aid. So have a little clue before giving out financial advice from ( I guess) someone that has not been through the process. Talk to a college financial planner.

From a parent of kid who’s currently in college your way off. First off it’s a 529 not at 527. If your kid has been playing travel lacrosse for a long time your most likely making decent money( it’s crazy expensive ). In that case colleges look at your income of you and your spouse combined. In most cases that salary will be to high to qualify for “need” based aid. I’m not talking about a combined income of 500k. I’m talking of like a combined income of over 150k to 200k. The fallacy of “you won’t get fasa” if you have a 529 is just silly. The reality is that most of us unfortunately won’t qualify for it. As a result the 529 is a great investment if you know your kids going to college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

# mykidsux
# mykidisonaBteam

Dude, kind of ironic, you write about ripping kids apart then finish your rant with two hashtags ripping kids.
#dope
#stunad

Genius, I was goofing on my kid.
Does anyone have info on this one percent showcase ? Is it worth accepting the invitation ?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Was wondering same thing and asked a few people that are involved in some of the bigger clubs and the answer was no not just yet esp if you are doing IMG in Fl next month. Some good players doing it but a lot of invites went out plus still only in 9th and still a bit young though things should pick up later this summer which will be more impt than this. If have the dough and want to get away for a day though it will be fun.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1 percent invite, funny. They really no how to sell their product. Covid, fly to Florida for a showcase, 9th grade.1500 bucks/ hotel/flight/registration fee, no thanks. 50 events/showcases in the tri state area over the next year.
Let us know how that works out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is incorrect. If you invest in NY's 529, you get to deduct it from your state income taxes, up to $10,000. It' saves you $700 a year in state taxes if you max out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is correct. The $700 is not concrete but possible if you are in the highest NY bracket but can still save something. Depends on your NY tax status. For-the-record, the $10,000 NYS deduction is for “married filing jointly” and it is $5,000 for Single filers. It is NOT per child. Also...it MUST be a NY plan: either Vanguard for self directed or JPMorgan Chase is through an advisor!! No age limit so can be left in there for years or decades and changed beneficiary back to yourself if not needed. You can go to an accredited school like Rick Mears Racing school or change to an eventual grandchild.
***** Can put in money and take out (after 7 business days) and still get the NYS deduction. Therefore-do it right into child’s senior year!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is correct. The $700 is not concrete but possible if you are in the highest NY bracket but can still save something. Depends on your NY tax status. For-the-record, the $10,000 NYS deduction is for “married filing jointly” and it is $5,000 for Single filers. It is NOT per child. Also...it MUST be a NY plan: either Vanguard for self directed or JPMorgan Chase is through an advisor!! No age limit so can be left in there for years or decades and changed beneficiary back to yourself if not needed. You can go to an accredited school like Rick Mears Racing school or change to an eventual grandchild.
***** Can put in money and take out (after 7 business days) and still get the NYS deduction. Therefore-do it right into child’s senior year!
Vanguard is AA in the 529 space. JPMC is a B club at best. Dimon is a problem. Always yellling wheels in the boardroom.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couldn't agree more about saving for a 529 plan. Start early, and even if you haven't started, start now. Compounding is an extremely powerful thing. The amount of money that I have invested has earned 150% since I started investing, thus my college bill will be less than half of today's $$$. Not trying to brag, this is an anonymous board, just know that you can save so much money in paying for college by using a 529 account. Your kid will be college for 4 years. Even if you just start now, your investment will have 3 1/2 years to compound when they start college, and then another 3+ years (beginning of Senior year) to compound when the enter their last year. If you have any left over, you can withdraw it and be taxed with a 10% penalty, or leave it in there to compound for another 20 to 25+ years for your grandkids - this is free money for your kids to pay for their kids college education - just think how much college will cost when their kids attend college. Plus you get to deduce your contributions from your state taxes, as mentioned above $700 max on $10,000 - that's a 7% immediate return!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couldn't agree more about saving for a 529 plan. Start early, and even if you haven't started, start now. Compounding is an extremely powerful thing. The amount of money that I have invested has earned 150% since I started investing, thus my college bill will be less than half of today's $$$. Not trying to brag, this is an anonymous board, just know that you can save so much money in paying for college by using a 529 account. Your kid will be college for 4 years. Even if you just start now, your investment will have 3 1/2 years to compound when they start college, and then another 3+ years (beginning of Senior year) to compound when the enter their last year. If you have any left over, you can withdraw it and be taxed with a 10% penalty, or leave it in there to compound for another 20 to 25+ years for your grandkids - this is free money for your kids to pay for their kids college education - just think how much college will cost when their kids attend college. Plus you get to deduce your contributions from your state taxes, as mentioned above $700 max on $10,000 - that's a 7% immediate return!!!!!

You forgot to mention the risk of implosion when the Democrats take over government.

User
User
Back to lax please. Enough investment advice as the horse has been beaten to death.

Back of the Cage
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ANYONE LOOKING AT SHOWCASES YET?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
ANYONE LOOKING AT SHOWCASES YET?

Yes, I just saw a good one that is local, right here on the island. It's the CB Laxers NY Showcase featuring d2/d3 colleges and live streamed to dI colleges. Other than that, I have not found much else.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ty

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like this ranking was pretty accurate
Woooooolf paaaaack it up

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What ranking ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse Magazine rankings I guess referring to.

http://lacrosserankings.com/2024-boys/

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks good but WP . Is def better than Express . Prob ranked worse because they have not played all but 2 AA tournaments and lost, and a few B Tournaments

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you really care about rankings. Lets get these 9th graders into the best possible showcases and tournaments so they can get better and play at the next level. Hopefully there is a high school season come spring. Ranking mean nothing, these top teams can beat anyone on any given day. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you really care about rankings. Lets get these 9th graders into the best possible showcases and tournaments so they can get better and play at the next level. Hopefully there is a high school season come spring. Ranking mean nothing, these top teams can beat anyone on any given day. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
Doesnt being on a top team get you in to the best showcases?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It helps for sure. But they want to make money. Showcases are money and in all these years of my kids doing lacrosse, I found people usually don’t turn down money.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no these rankings dont matter but always fun to poke at the 91 parents who think their kids play for crush (as this genius wrote below - enough said) its not 3rd grade anymore the best talent is scattered across the top 3 teams

How about you gents leave the heavy analysis to the experts, as you folks are clearly in over your head here.

http://lacrossemagazine.com/club-lacrosse-rankings/

Enough said.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019 rankings going into 2021 season.... enough said LOL...stunad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Doesnt being on a top team get you in to the best showcases?

Yes for the most part it does. However having 2 older kids, i've seen players from less know clubs at top showcases. If your good they will take you. All the showcases want the best talent. If there are players who are equal, or just about equal in ablitly, they will usally go with the kids from the top teams. Most showcases are run or owned by people asscicated with the top teams. So they do look out for their own.
Being on the best team means nothing to a college coach. Playing against the best competition means everything. Look at the all the 21-22 commitments. How many are for the #1 team. Sometimes it pays to play against the best team and not be on the best team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no these rankings dont matter but always fun to poke at the 91 parents who think their kids play for crush (as this genius wrote below - enough said) its not 3rd grade anymore the best talent is scattered across the top 3 teams

How about you gents leave the heavy analysis to the experts, as you folks are clearly in over your head here.

Enough said.

I detest to say it, I really do, but I think US Club Lax's ranking system is more accurate and definitely more transparent. I don't like that they're affiliated with 91 (they deny this of course). But you can see their methods, look at their RPI system and the data set they're using.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Enough said.

I detest to say it, I really do, but I think US Club Lax's ranking system is more accurate and definitely more transparent. I don't like that they're affiliated with 91 (they deny this of course). But you can see their methods, look at their RPI system and the data set they're using.

US club lax rankings aren’t accurate. If a team plays in the cheesiest tourney brackets and wins every game they are ranked higher. I would hope everyone is smart enough to filter through the nonsense. Some clubs who are not so good might receive a high ranking because they played in brackets below their abilities to help themselves look better on paper. You want to see where u rank play against the top teams in your area it’s not that hard play the top local dogs and see where u land . Playing hide and go seek in garbage brackets with big wins help convince the crazy parents their team is great.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Enough said.

US club lax rankings aren’t accurate. If a team plays in the cheesiest tourney brackets and wins every game they are ranked higher. I would hope everyone is smart enough to filter through the nonsense. Some clubs who are not so good might receive a high ranking because they played in brackets below their abilities to help themselves look better on paper. You want to see where u rank play against the top teams in your area it’s not that hard play the top local dogs and see where u land . Playing hide and go seek in garbage brackets with big wins help convince the crazy parents their team is great.

Rankings don’t matter. The boys are in high school. The main focus now and for the next couple of years is to get recruited. The boys should be challenged every game against the best possible competition. The college coaches don’t care if your team is ranked 1st or 10th. They care about how good the individual player is. If your kid is on a middle of the pack team. Do everything you can to get him into good showcases. Have your club coach and HS coach advocate for him. Have videos of his best games. Not just him scoring. Off ball movement, feeds. Ground balls. Picks. All the little things matter. Right now and this coming summer they are not looking at this age group. But next summer the top kids will be getting looks. Get ready it goes fast. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i find it funny that when 91 is not ranked 1 , that the rankings don' t matter anymore. Truth is they never mattered, but it does keep things interesting !!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top kids at one percent showcase. Great talent and experience. Plenty of LI kids on the all star team. Well done.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top kids at one percent showcase. Great talent and experience. Plenty of LI kids on the all star team. Well done.

Talent was deff there but the college coaches were not. What’s the point of a showcase with no college coaches present. Was this just a money grab a few days before Christmas ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And having to quarantine after the event. That's got to be hard. No doubt the families NY, NJ, PA & CT that went to Florida are are being good citizens.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Enough said.

Rankings don’t matter. The boys are in high school. The main focus now and for the next couple of years is to get recruited. The boys should be challenged every game against the best possible competition. The college coaches don’t care if your team is ranked 1st or 10th. They care about how good the individual player is. If your kid is on a middle of the pack team. Do everything you can to get him into good showcases. Have your club coach and HS coach advocate for him. Have videos of his best games. Not just him scoring. Off ball movement, feeds. Ground balls. Picks. All the little things matter. Right now and this coming summer they are not looking at this age group. But next summer the top kids will be getting looks. Get ready it goes fast. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

I thought the next couple of years was to play HS ball and try to win a championship with your classmates?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Enough said.

I thought the next couple of years was to play HS ball and try to win a championship with your classmates?

For HS Ball it is and it should be a fun time for the kids. However for Club Ball its all about the recruiting!!!

Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard