Get it on Google Play
Get it on Google Play
New Camps Just Posted! | S2S Tryouts | LI Showcase 20 Days Away!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2025
by Anonymous - 05/18/21 06:22 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 05/18/21 06:09 PM
Girls High School
by Anonymous - 05/18/21 05:51 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 05/18/21 05:14 PM
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous - 05/18/21 05:13 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics2,372
Posts291,777
Members2,290
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 27 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 26 27
Re: Boys 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
Anonymous #316693 12/04/20 11:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The WSYL, past winners were teams. A team that started in September and finished in July. In this Lax world that’s the definition of a TEAM. Do you follow me so far? This isn’t brain surgery. Now if there was a state vs state all star game that would be a different topic. Not a bad idea, but that’s not this topic. Can you imagine the WSYL final being a state all star team vs an actual team. Think about that. Let’s take 4 great kids from 7 different teams to create the ultimate team to compete. We can meet up the night before so all the kids can introduce themselves to each other. If this happens, this event will become a farce.

The WSYL rules contradict themselves.

- All players must compete with their team or program on a REGULAR BASIS.

- Minimum requirements.....2 tournaments. Look at that, two one day tournaments at DE turf on the same weekend in March for the kids to introduce themselves to one another. The weekend before the qualifier

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

TheBackOfTheCage #316695 12/04/20 11:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WSYL should change its system, and limit the radius to 15-25 miles. The idea of super teams for youth lacrosse is ridiculous, but the WSYL has turned a blind eye - and I really can't understand why and why limiting the radius would hurt the event. Having said that, I don't know that it would change the greater New York City area's dominance, as the huge population pool to draw from will always work in their favor because there will be more great kids to choose from compared to rural areas. WYSL should create population districts, analogous to Little League, but make them a bit bigger than Little League since lacrosse isn't as popular throughout the country. Rural areas would have a bigger population base to draw from, which would even things out nationwide. The system right now is broken and incentivizes terrible behavior which involves kids. WSYL needs to be a leader and step up.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #316700 12/04/20 11:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WSYL should change its system, and limit the radius to 15-25 miles. The idea of super teams for youth lacrosse is ridiculous, but the WSYL has turned a blind eye - and I really can't understand why and why limiting the radius would hurt the event. Having said that, I don't know that it would change the greater New York City area's dominance, as the huge population pool to draw from will always work in their favor because there will be more great kids to choose from compared to rural areas. WYSL should create population districts, analogous to Little League, but make them a bit bigger than Little League since lacrosse isn't as popular throughout the country. Rural areas would have a bigger population base to draw from, which would even things out nationwide. The system right now is broken and incentivizes terrible behavior which involves kids. WSYL needs to be a leader and step up.

I agree, but 15-25 is too small for some areas for lacrosse. I dont know what the answer is, but it probably isnt mileage, 50 from the center of LI still covers almost all of LI, and much of Conn, Northern NJ, and Westchester. I grew up on LI, that is a massive population pool to choose 25 players from. I live in the Charlottesville area now, some kids at the higher level need to travel that far to get to a team. There is no way they could compete with the ALL - LI plus team.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #316702 12/04/20 12:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree, but 15-25 is too small for some areas for lacrosse. I dont know what the answer is, but it probably isnt mileage, 50 from the center of LI still covers almost all of LI, and much of Conn, Northern NJ, and Westchester. I grew up on LI, that is a massive population pool to choose 25 players from. I live in the Charlottesville area now, some kids at the higher level need to travel that far to get to a team. There is no way they could compete with the ALL - LI plus team.

They can change the radius for different areas. They allow 200 miles for Canadian teams. That covers Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec. Probably easy to come up with 25 good players from those 10mil + people.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #316708 12/04/20 01:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gerrymandering on BOTC. So typical.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
TheBackOfTheCage #319418 01/27/21 05:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tell me about 2025 VLC? Are they in the same category as some of the elite Maryland teams?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #319423 01/27/21 08:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tell me about 2025 VLC? Are they in the same category as some of the elite Maryland teams?

Short answer is no. VLC 2025 is not the same category as the better teams in the area. In the Dc area, Madlax, Next Level, and DC Express are all significantly better. And that’s before getting to the MD teams like Hawks, Crabs, Team 91, etc. that are all much better. VLC 2026 is pretty decent and can compete at least, but VLC 2025 will get torched by any team in the HoCo elite division.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #319428 01/27/21 09:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The whole WSYL thing seems like a farce and a money grab to me. All this energy should be put into the regular travel teams.

PS - Thanks for all the "sorry your son didn't make the team better luck next year" encouragement I expect to hear shortly!

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #319461 01/28/21 11:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Re: WSYL: I don't understand why clubs feel the need to band together. Go with kids who have been with you through thick and thin. I think the WSYL itself is cool, but it is the conniving by the clubs which is a waste of time.
Will be interesting to see from Maryland shows up - with their own clubs (speaks to who has holdbacks), and who forms mega-teams (speaks to who just wants to win as opposed to developing their players). Does anyone know who is actually going to send a team to the WSYL regional?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #319517 01/28/21 04:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Short answer is no. VLC 2025 is not the same category as the better teams in the area. In the Dc area, Madlax, Next Level, and DC Express are all significantly better. And that’s before getting to the MD teams like Hawks, Crabs, Team 91, etc. that are all much better. VLC 2026 is pretty decent and can compete at least, but VLC 2025 will get torched by any team in the HoCo elite division.
[quote=Anonymous]Tell me about 2025 VLC? Are they in the same category as some of the elite Maryland teams?

Cavaliers 2025 beat VLC 2025 every time they played them, if that says anything. All the boys from Cavaliers have moved on to stronger clubs.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #319536 01/28/21 05:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Re: WSYL: I don't understand why clubs feel the need to band together. Go with kids who have been with you through thick and thin. I think the WSYL itself is cool, but it is the conniving by the clubs which is a waste of time.
Will be interesting to see from Maryland shows up - with their own clubs (speaks to who has holdbacks), and who forms mega-teams (speaks to who just wants to win as opposed to developing their players). Does anyone know who is actually going to send a team to the WSYL regional?

Why does the conversation always turn to "hold backs"? No, just because a team doesn't go to a money grab tournament doesn't necessarily mean they have hold backs. But it may mean that your son needs to hit the wall so they can play on a team that does.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #319613 01/29/21 04:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does the WSYL equate to anything but a fun weekend? Is it considered a Showcase?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #319627 01/29/21 07:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's amazing- my sons team went out there a few years ago and it was the best tournament we've ever been too. Swag as you advance, skills contests, Connor Kelly was there, championship was televised, it's a youth event on steroids

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #319881 02/03/21 04:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At the 2026 level, isnt Express is doing what you claim MD teams do?

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #321691 02/25/21 06:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have a list of the WSYL U14 regional qualifier teams?

Like Reply Quote
Page 9 of 27 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard