BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 44 45
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It’s bad enough JS politics gave this unearned, undeserving hand out at the expense of many other actually earning it! To listen to anyone defend it is just dense. The only thing this kid ever earned was being asked to play for Spallina. She did nothing in high school but ride the coattails her junior year from their star player being face guarded! That is her one lacrosse accolade. What has she done? Nothing. She was a no name who earned nothing at Under Armour except for the hand out of senior year when she did not play and they GAVE HER the Senior UA All-American! So stop the BS and just call it like it is. The biggest political BS move in US lacrosse history. That is more acceptable than to listen to you try and defend it. Disgrace. Just stop already! This is a joke.

Very bitter and green.

Everyone seems to agree that the selection is questionable but you seem way too bothered by it. Why attack the player? It appears to be personal with you. You state "What has she done? Nothing." What is wrong with you? To be fair, I don't think any player who has yet to play a single college game should be on this list. However, trying to belittle this player and her accomplishments is reprehensible. In fact, her accolades look pretty good: Ranked #25 in the Class of 2020 by Inside Lacrosse and Named to the 2020 Uunder Armour Senior All-America Team (Both are impressive). Playing for a perennial Top 10 -15 Team and is clearly one of their if not the Top Recruit / Freshmen. That speaks volumes as to the caliber of player that she is.

Questionable selection for this tryout but no question she is a very good player at this point in her career.

I wish her the best

Those are great accolades for a freshman in college, not so much for a team USA invitee! USL epic failure, once again. They need to do better!

That had to be a typo! The Stony Brook girl on the USA roster was ranked the 25th player in the Class of 2020? She never played a college game and her career achievement is being added to the Senior UA roster? Is this a joke or for real?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As I am sure many have heard a few Ivy league have announced NO winter sports I have a feeling that this will soon apply to spring sports as well what a complete mess this will be

I agree. ;0(

Agree There will not be an Ivy season maybe not one for anyone

Daughters fall ball practices shut down most likely for semester. Many schools not doing anything I am really starting to believe we will not have a Spring season of any type[/quote]

At least they had some my daughters team has not had any actual full team practices

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am hearing The 2020 class to get another year for Spring sports, but only might be that class.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am hearing The 2020 class to get another year for Spring sports, but only might be that class.

My daughter plays a fall sport in college and they will be playing in the spring but still get their year back

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter plays a fall sport in college and they will be playing in the spring but still get their year back

Winter sports are also getting an extra year of eligibility due to covid uncertainty, even if they play some form of a season. Spring sports got an extra year this past spring for a partial season, so seems possible they won't get a second year for covid. Makes sense that players not rostered in 2020 (i.e. 2020 hs grads) get the extra year, though, since they have been/will be impacted similarly to 2020-21 fall and winter sports. Otherwise I can see a lot of freshman choosing to redshirt this year, maybe even those who would get meaningful playing time. My daughter's team is already planning for a condensed game schedule. Why give up a year of eligibility for a shortened season that might be canceled part way through, or player gets covid and misses 2-3 weeks by the time she is cleared to return, and some teams have larger than normal rosters due to 5th year seniors making it harder to earn playing time.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just a few interesting things on USA
-Splillana running the team obviously
-Fall classic Womens US vs Canada game 5-4 at half, final 16-6. Canada ran entire game. They will sure stall in 2021. No shot clock.
-Ortega who to me was big miss most likely didn’t apply as she was invited by Levy in June 2019, was not ask to come back to additional training teams.
-Hoeg who I feel is one of the best attacker in country at any level was never ask to a training team at all. Going to tryout.
-M Taylor very solid goalie left out.
-Jenner and Choma to me big misses for at least a tryout. US was dominated on draw.

Clear to me who had players back in this selection. detest him or like him he goes to bat for his players and who doesn’t.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Winter sports are also getting an extra year of eligibility due to covid uncertainty, even if they play some form of a season. Spring sports got an extra year this past spring for a partial season, so seems possible they won't get a second year for covid. Makes sense that players not rostered in 2020 (i.e. 2020 hs grads) get the extra year, though, since they have been/will be impacted similarly to 2020-21 fall and winter sports. Otherwise I can see a lot of freshman choosing to redshirt this year, maybe even those who would get meaningful playing time. My daughter's team is already planning for a condensed game schedule. Why give up a year of eligibility for a shortened season that might be canceled part way through, or player gets covid and misses 2-3 weeks by the time she is cleared to return, and some teams have larger than normal rosters due to 5th year seniors making it harder to earn playing time.

Because there is more to life than lacrosse .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Think having a spring season seems unlikely in college with every state having different rules

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry questionable selection is ridiculous . Unethical , political , embarrassing but questionable gives it a chance at being legit . Simply put there is no way to justify this selection and puts a stain on the reputations of all involved. Let’s also realize her Inside Lax ranking along with her UA senior AA may also have been just as political , not sure those accolades add up with never being named US lax AA especially when her high school coach has obviously a lot of pull .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True, but there are a number of seniors who returned this year for a 5th year as grad students. There are current seniors already planning to use their extra year of eligibility in 2022. There are plenty of players who take a 5th or even 6th year due to injury. There are college freshman who plan to attend graduate school, add a minor or specialization, etc. who would love to continue playing while they do it. There will be some who want to be done with college after four years and move on, but I think many players who love the sport would consider redshirting this year in hopes of four years of lacrosse that are more normal.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry questionable selection is ridiculous . Unethical , political , embarrassing but questionable gives it a chance at being legit . Simply put there is no way to justify this selection and puts a stain on the reputations of all involved. Let’s also realize her Inside Lax ranking along with her UA senior AA may also have been just as political , not sure those accolades add up with never being named US lax AA especially when her high school coach has obviously a lot of pull .

Another hater trying to diminish a players accomplishments. I have not seen a single post of anyone trying to justify the selection but have noticed some post attacking the player and attempting to tear the player down and belittle her accolades.
Typical jealous parent who hates it when someone other than their daughter is recognized.

This selection was certainly questionable but there is absolutely no reason to make cowardly attacks. I guess there will always be haters who hide behind their keyboard attacking young women and trying to elevate their daughter by tearing down others.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Football found a way because of large network and conference network money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear

Nope. Sorry. They found a way because they wanted to and came up with work arounds and put protocols in place that seem to be working.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another hater trying to diminish a players accomplishments. I have not seen a single post of anyone trying to justify the selection but have noticed some post attacking the player and attempting to tear the player down and belittle her accolades.
Typical jealous parent who hates it when someone other than their daughter is recognized.

This selection was certainly questionable but there is absolutely no reason to make cowardly attacks. I guess there will always be haters who hide behind their keyboard attacking young women and trying to elevate their daughter by tearing down others.

"Typical jealous parent and cowardly attacks" Yes mom and dad, you are right. 21 year old super star college NCAA First Team All-Americans who have proven themselves are jealous of little Sally who has done nothing in high school and not played a college game yet. They are upset because they earned it and were passed on due to your daughters coaches politics. Stop lecturing us and just say thank you to your coach and move on. Politics happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again you are too ignorant to understand questionable gives it some legitimacy which it had none . No jealousy just disgust that a player who has not earned this honor is taking the place of someone who has . Sorry the player applied for a women’s team knowing full well she did not deserve it and the fix was in . She has earned all the attention she is getting on these boards . The coach should be removed for abusing his position .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Typical jealous parent and cowardly attacks" Yes mom and dad, you are right. 21 year old super star college NCAA First Team All-Americans who have proven themselves are jealous of little Sally who has done nothing in high school and not played a college game yet. They are upset because they earned it and were passed on due to your daughters coaches politics. Stop lecturing us and just say thank you to your coach and move on. Politics happen.

Are you that dense? Nobody said that a 21 year old NCAA 1st Team All-American was jealous... Oh, and BTW... it is highly unlikely that the parents of the player in question are on here responding to your nonsense.

I think the point of the post that you are responding to was that "nobody" (except the people who made the decision) agrees with the selection. Some of us just don't see the point of trying to knock the player (because she did not select herself). You have made it personal and continue to attack the player as having "done nothing" in her HS career (which is obviously false). You are obviously bitter and that's okay. Personally, I just don't like reading anonymous, unsubstantiated attacks on players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
“Are you that dense? Nobody said that a 21 year old NCAA 1st Team All-American was jealous... Oh, and BTW... it is highly unlikely that the parents of the player in question are on here responding to your nonsense.

I think the point of the post that you are responding to was that "nobody" (except the people who made the decision) agrees with the selection. Some of us just don't see the point of trying to knock the player (because she did not select herself). You have made it personal and continue to attack the player as having "done nothing" in her HS career (which is obviously false). You are obviously bitter and that's okay. Personally, I just don't like reading anonymous, unsubstantiated attacks on players.”

Your bitter /jealousy response is ignorant. If they had selected an actual deserving player people would not be saying anything about the selections . Again you try to justify the selection by using questionable and saying the “people who made the decision “ actually agree with it when in fact the person ( Spallina) knows it’s unethical but just does not care because he has enough sycophants like you telling him how wonderful he is .
As far as the parents being on here I can guarantee that’s more likely than a player who has not played an actual lacrosse game in 22 months ,has never played a college game ,never been a US lax AA, never the best player on her team and did not make the U19 team getting an invite to tryout for the women’s national team .

As far as what you personally like no one cares and saying unsubstantiated just shows your lack of a grasp of the English language .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
“Are you that dense? Nobody said that a 21 year old NCAA 1st Team All-American was jealous... Oh, and BTW... it is highly unlikely that the parents of the player in question are on here responding to your nonsense.

I think the point of the post that you are responding to was that "nobody" (except the people who made the decision) agrees with the selection. Some of us just don't see the point of trying to knock the player (because she did not select herself). You have made it personal and continue to attack the player as having "done nothing" in her HS career (which is obviously false). You are obviously bitter and that's okay. Personally, I just don't like reading anonymous, unsubstantiated attacks on players.”

Your bitter /jealousy response is ignorant. If they had selected an actual deserving player people would not be saying anything about the selections . Again you try to justify the selection by using questionable and saying the “people who made the decision “ actually agree with it when in fact the person ( Spallina) knows it’s unethical but just does not care because he has enough sycophants like you telling him how wonderful he is .
As far as the parents being on here I can guarantee that’s more likely than a player who has not played an actual lacrosse game in 22 months ,has never played a college game ,never been a US lax AA, never the best player on her team and did not make the U19 team getting an invite to tryout for the women’s national team .

As far as what you personally like no one cares and saying unsubstantiated just shows your lack of a grasp of the English language .

She is a good player, she wouldn’t be playing at SBU if she wasn’t. However, to get an invitation for a try-out for this team is questionable at best. She has not done anything to prove she earned this, while many others have. I guess the saying, “it’s not what you know it’s who you know” stands true in this situation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The focus needs to be on Spallina, Levy and Frank. They are the coaches and the select the kids with final say. Selection committee is I am sure a bunch of no names. At the end the coaches have no ethics or didn’t do the job of review.

Some better be careful of where they currently are at right now. The Gtown program fell off the rails when RF decided to coach USA, and asst lost her job at BU. Takes a ton of time away from regular duty at their school. History will tell you not good combination

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Nope. Sorry. They found a way because they wanted to and came up with work arounds and put protocols in place that seem to be working.

Only football came up with the "work arounds and put protocols in place"? That makes no sense. Then every sport would be playing using those protocols. Even after cancelling their fall seasons the PAC12 and Big Ten came back to football seeing the money left on the table. This is an excerpt from the New York Times article about why football is being played:

"The decisions by the leagues — some publicly unflinching, others openly deliberating from one month to the next — carry enormous implications for college athletics. By playing football, even without every stadium packed with fans, schools across the country will collectively earn hundreds of millions of dollars from broadcast rights and sponsorships that will prop up budgets that had been threatened with severe cuts."

Power conference football is a huge money generating college sport. They are not playing a lot football at lower conferences because there is no network money. Don't be surprised if winter sports are cancelled by power conferences too--except mens basketball.

Last edited by baldbear; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only football came up with the "work arounds and put protocols in place"? So if the soccer programs came to to the athletic director and president of a school with the same "work arounds and protocols" they would be playing? That makes no sense. Then everyone would be playing. Even after cancelling their fall seasons the PAC12 and Big Ten came back to football seeing the money left on the table. This is an excerpt from the New York Times article about why football is being played:

"The decisions by the leagues — some publicly unflinching, others openly deliberating from one month to the next — carry enormous implications for college athletics. By playing football, even without every stadium packed with fans, schools across the country will collectively earn hundreds of millions of dollars from broadcast rights and sponsorships that will prop up budgets that had been threatened with severe cuts."

Power conference football is a huge money generating college sport. They are not playing football at lower conferences because there is no network money. Don't be surprised if winter sports are cancelled by power conferences too--except mens basketball.

Oh really. ..,. Wrong.....See you should have googled before you answered. ....NCAA study in 2019 found only 20 of 1,000 college football teams were profitable. Many lower conference football is being played. Now..... do your homework and find out how many college basketball programs are profitable. The # will surprise you.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Only football came up with the "work arounds and put protocols in place"? So if the soccer programs came to to the athletic director and president of a school with the same "work arounds and protocols" they would be playing? That makes no sense. Then everyone would be playing. Even after cancelling their fall seasons the PAC12 and Big Ten came back to football seeing the money left on the table. This is an excerpt from the New York Times article about why football is being played:

Power conference football is a huge money generating college sport. They are not playing football at lower conferences because there is no network money. Don't be surprised if winter sports are cancelled by power conferences too--except mens basketball.

Oh really. ..,. Wrong.....See you should have googled before you answered. ....NCAA study in 2019 found only 20 of 1,000 college football teams were profitable. Many lower conference football is being played. Now..... do your homework and find out how many college basketball programs are profitable. The # will surprise you.

There are 674 collegiate football programs; 257 Division I, 167 Division II and 250 Division III. The "study" you note highlighted the top 20 most profitable programs as the result of legislation in some states to pay players (California leading the way). The 20th team made $28 million; I don't think #21 was in the red. Football is the number one generator of revenue which is passed along to other sports programs (for the Big East its basketball). The vast majority of D1 programs are profitable but here is the 20 noted in the 2019 NCAA report (which was not a "study"; each school must report to the NCAA the revenue and expenses for every sport every year):

Texas – $92 million
Tennessee – $70 million
LSU – $58 million
Michigan – $56 million
Notre Dame – $54 million
Georgia – $50 million
Ohio State – $50 million
Oklahoma – $48 million
Auburn – $47 million
Alabama – $46 million
Oregon – $40 million
Florida State – $39 million
Arkansas – $38 million
Washington – $38 million
Florida – $37 million
Texas A&M – $37 million
Penn State – $36 million
Michigan State – $32 million
USC – $29 million
South Carolina – $28 million

Basketball has more games but lower margins so again, most D1 programs are profitable. Louisville is the perennial #1 in this regard with profits over $40 million.

EDIT-You may be referencing the NCAA Annual report which represents 1,100 schools and ALL sports.

Last edited by baldbear; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are 674 collegiate football programs; 257 Division I, 167 Division II and 250 Division III. The "study" you note highlighted the top 20 most profitable programs as the result of legislation in some states to pay players (California leading the way). The 20th team made $28 million; I don't think #21 was in the red. Football is the number one generator of revenue which is passed along to other sports programs (for the Big East its basketball). The vast majority of D1 programs are profitable but here is the 20 noted in the 2019 NCAA report (which was not a "study"; each school must report to the NCAA the revenue and expenses for every sport every year):

Texas – $92 million
Tennessee – $70 million
LSU – $58 million
Michigan – $56 million
Notre Dame – $54 million
Georgia – $50 million
Ohio State – $50 million
Oklahoma – $48 million
Auburn – $47 million
Alabama – $46 million
Oregon – $40 million
Arkansas – $38 million
Washington – $38 million
Florida – $37 million
Texas A&M – $37 million
Penn State – $36 million
USC – $29 million

Basketball has more games but lower margins so again, most D1 programs are profitable. Louisville is the perennial #1 in this regard with profits over $40 million.

EDIT-You may be referencing the NCAA Annual report which represents 1,100 schools and ALL sports.

Cmon.... you went with the Athnet stats that didn’t mention EXPENSES. Sooo... I will give a few...

Texas-revenue-$224M. Expenses-$205M
Texas A&M-rev $212M. Expenses-$170M
Ohio State-rev-$210M. Expenses-$221M
Michigan-rev-$198M. Expenses-$191M
Georgia-rev-$174M. Expenses-$143M
Penn State-rev-$164M. Expenses-$160M
Alabama-rev-$164M. Expenses-$185M

I won’t list all 227 listed by NCAA.

Anyhow NCAA study admits that the college accounting Fromm school to school is not uniform.

Now ...... you have proven my point. There are 893 college football programs spanning Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, NAIA, NJCAA. On low side say 20 are PROFITABLE that represents approx 2%. Let’s say 40 are PROFITABLE that represents 4%. We can continue with the simple math. But the facts are most football programs don’t turn a profit. The statement that these football programs bankroll all the other sports programs at a college is just false except for a small percentage.

You can google numerous articles about why have college sports. As you can see approximately 95% of colleges subsidize their athletics. Why??? To summarize here are a few reasons
Enrollment-many non student athletes choose a college because of game day social activity
Branding-school spirit and fan loyalty
Long term fan support and alumni camaraderie.
Sense of unity and pride among fans and alumni.
Revenue
Overall student experience.

This conversation began with football finding a way to play within the current covid nonsense rules. football found a way to play and it should be a template for other college sports to find a way to play. As indicated above college athletics touches many students other than the student athlete. In addition colleges recruited athletes of all sports to come to their college. College admin and AD’s should be finding ways to play not sit on their hands and tell student athletes sorry... season cancelled. Again... football did.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only football came up with the "work arounds and put protocols in place"? That makes no sense. Then every sport would be playing using those protocols. Even after cancelling their fall seasons the PAC12 and Big Ten came back to football seeing the money left on the table. This is an excerpt from the New York Times article about why football is being played:

Power conference football is a huge money generating college sport. They are not playing a lot football at lower conferences because there is no network money. Don't be surprised if winter sports are cancelled by power conferences too--except mens basketball.

Quoting a New York Times article does not help your case.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The focus needs to be on Spallina, Levy and Frank. They are the coaches and the select the kids with final say. Selection committee is I am sure a bunch of no names. At the end the coaches have no ethics or didn’t do the job of review.

Some better be careful of where they currently are at right now. The Gtown program fell off the rails when RF decided to coach USA, and asst lost her job at BU. Takes a ton of time away from regular duty at their school. History will tell you not good combination

Yes, 100% on the coaches. Not sure that I agree with the assertion that coaching Team USA will have a negative impact on a coach or their program. Like him or not, JS is an excellent coach I'm sure he will be fine. North Carolina will always be one of the Top Programs simply because of all that the school has to offer.

Good luck to all who were selected to tryout for the US Team.

Originally US Lacrosse indicated that they would select 72 players to be invited to the US Team Tryouts, the actual number invited was cut to 50. Does anyone know why they reduced the number? Does anyone know how many players applied? I remember they said more than 500 players applied for the U19 team and they invited just over 100 to the tryouts. Obviously, there are a number of very well known current players who were not on the list of invitees. Did many not apply?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

It does when the school officials state that revenue was a major factor for football's return

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Texas – $92 million
Tennessee – $70 million
LSU – $58 million
Michigan – $56 million
Notre Dame – $54 million
Georgia – $50 million
Ohio State – $50 million
Oklahoma – $48 million
Auburn – $47 million
Alabama – $46 million
Oregon – $40 million
Arkansas – $38 million
Washington – $38 million
Florida – $37 million
Texas A&M – $37 million
Penn State – $36 million
USC – $29 million

Cmon.... you went with the Athnet stats that didn’t mention EXPENSES. Sooo... I will give a few...

Texas-revenue-$224M. Expenses-$205M
Texas A&M-rev $212M. Expenses-$170M
Ohio State-rev-$210M. Expenses-$221M
Michigan-rev-$198M. Expenses-$191M
Georgia-rev-$174M. Expenses-$143M
Penn State-rev-$164M. Expenses-$160M
Alabama-rev-$164M. Expenses-$185M

I won’t list all 227 listed by NCAA.

Anyhow NCAA study admits that the college accounting Fromm school to school is not uniform.

Now ...... you have proven my point. There are 893 college football programs spanning Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, NAIA, NJCAA. On low side say 20 are PROFITABLE that represents approx 2%. Let’s say 40 are PROFITABLE that represents 4%. We can continue with the simple math. But the facts are most football programs don’t turn a profit. The statement that these football programs bankroll all the other sports programs at a college is just false except for a small percentage.

You can google numerous articles about why have college sports. As you can see approximately 95% of colleges subsidize their athletics. Why??? To summarize here are a few reasons
Enrollment-many non student athletes choose a college because of game day social activity
Branding-school spirit and fan loyalty
Long term fan support and alumni camaraderie.
Sense of unity and pride among fans and alumni.
Revenue
Overall student experience.

This conversation began with football finding a way to play within the current covid nonsense rules. football found a way to play and it should be a template for other college sports to find a way to play. As indicated above college athletics touches many students other than the student athlete. In addition colleges recruited athletes of all sports to come to their college. College admin and AD’s should be finding ways to play not sit on their hands and tell student athletes sorry... season cancelled. Again... football did.

I have enjoyed our discussion and should have used revenue as the major reason to bring back football, not profit. As you state accounting practices vary and even a Hollywood blockbuster does not show a profit, so revenue is more likely the culprit.

"College admin and AD’s should be finding ways to play not sit on their hands and tell student athletes sorry... season cancelled. Again... football did". Lets bring this back to lacrosse. Administrator and AD's are allowing football to play; football programs are not operating outside the schools. The AD's and administration are allowing the football teams to play, not the other way around. So administrators and AD's have found a way. The question is why hasn't it been applied to all sports equally? I would like your opinion on that because lacrosse, women's lacrosse, while we love the sport (I had an All-American daughter) is not a high priority for many schools. Why are administrations and AD's sitting on their hands? I have stated my opinion (money), which you don't agree with, so I ask yours.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True, but there are a number of seniors who returned this year for a 5th year as grad students. There are current seniors already planning to use their extra year of eligibility in 2022. There are plenty of players who take a 5th or even 6th year due to injury. There are college freshman who plan to attend graduate school, add a minor or specialization, etc. who would love to continue playing while they do it. There will be some who want to be done with college after four years and move on, but I think many players who love the sport would consider redshirting this year in hopes of four years of lacrosse that are more normal.

That is what makes it tougher

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By giving the freshmen and extra year of sports in fall and winter, and the are actually playing there season The NCAA will have to give the freshmen Spring sports and extra year.

As you we now know in America if we do it for one,
We have to do it for ALL.

This way if you look at really only one group was lost that was seniors of Winter sports last year. Not bad. As Fall player there season and Winter played 80 percent of it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well it looks like D1 will announce soon that at least freshmen will get another year for Spring 2021 sports, if not all players potentially. The D2 and D3 councils just approved this week for all participants in spring 21.

I think you will see a lot of players transferring in summer if season doesn’t count against eligibility time. Just like Fall and Winter sports who have already been granted this relief. We knew that was going to happen based on Spring sports giving in Spring 2020.

Time will tell...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well it looks like D1 will announce soon that at least freshmen will get another year for Spring 2021 sports, if not all players potentially. The D2 and D3 councils just approved this week for all participants in spring 21.

I think you will see a lot of players transferring in summer if season doesn’t count against eligibility time. Just like Fall and Winter sports who have already been granted this relief. We knew that was going to happen based on Spring sports giving in Spring 2020.

Time will tell...

Lets just hope there is a spring.

"MIT became the latest NCAA Division III program to cancel its winter seasons because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Monday, MIT cancelled all winter varsity sports competition, which will impact men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s basketball, fencing, rifle, squash, and men’s and women’s indoor track and field.

In addition, the New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Presidents Council voted unanimously to suspend conference play and championships for the 2020-21 winter sports season due to the Covid-19 pandemic."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I watched the SBU team scrimmage and I am wondering what anyone else thought . My observations for what it’s worth .
Positives are this looks to be the best team SBU has ever had . They have some high end players T.O. , AK, K Huff, with more depth than they have had in the past . The goalie play looks above average and you know Spallina with have his zone defense ready .
The negatives are that they play such a weak schedule that not sure they will be battle tested for the multiple difficult games it takes in the tournament . It’s obvious JS plays favorites even with the calls he makes as a ref which can create some chemistry issues and most likely is the cause of so many players transferring out.
Side note it was obvious his selection ( make no mistake it was his selection) for the US team was just wrong , I am sure she is a good freshman player but looked to be not a top 4 midfielder or top 8 player on her own team .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The team has depth. Pulis, Kennedy and TO are high end. Goalie above average. Kids play hard. No opinion on defense because he will never play man. JS was not happy red team won and it annoyed him to give Accettella MVP. His attempt to hype the USA kid made him look foolish. He will use the weak schedule to promote his favorites. He plays favorites but some non-favorites are better than his early picks. Nice to watch lacrosse. JS is a media addict and found a way to get his hit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Time will tell...

Lets just hope there is a spring.

"MIT became the latest NCAA Division III program to cancel its winter seasons because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Monday, MIT cancelled all winter varsity sports competition, which will impact men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s basketball, fencing, rifle, squash, and men’s and women’s indoor track and field.

In addition, the New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Presidents Council voted unanimously to suspend conference play and championships for the 2020-21 winter sports season due to the Covid-19 pandemic."

Daughter plays at an ivy and was told this week they are not optimistic they will have an IVY season

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The team has depth. Pulis, Kennedy and TO are high end. Goalie above average. Kids play hard. No opinion on defense because he will never play man. JS was not happy red team won and it annoyed him to give Accettella MVP. His attempt to hype the USA kid made him look foolish. He will use the weak schedule to promote his favorites. He plays favorites but some non-favorites are better than his early picks. Nice to watch lacrosse. JS is a media addict and found a way to get his hit.

Watched was very very impressed and I am not an SB Fanboy They could very well have the best team they have had. Funny you say that because my daughter and I thought it looked like HE wanted the Red to win Took away two white goals and called a few charges on kenedy. Take away all the detest that is spewed on here what they JS and crew did was awesome more schools should do it or something similiar

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have they figured out the draw? .. I felt that was their biggest weakness during the recent tournament runs.. they could never get one when they needed it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It does when the school officials state that revenue was a major factor for football's return

With financial crisis at schools will cutting football be the way out

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with the above observation on SB. Fast and athletic team. JS will need to play zone as offenses were very strong but D obviously not coached on man to man defense.

AK, TO, KH looked very good. As noted goalies looked good stopping many on the door step shots.

As for freshmen USA player she didn’t start of JS, and wasn’t on midfield much. Not going to comment on her ability. Again not her issue for being selected. It is USA Head Coach Spallina and asst
Coach Levy issue. They know what they did and was on purpose.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First off I’ve never really put my thoughts down in a note so forgive some of the naivety- A few questions where I have no idea where to ask-I have a high school soph and we are ready to pull the trigger and start contacting for recruiting.. I also should add that our club has helped us but I have some questions I don’t feel like asking our club.
Are any schools hosting campus visits/open houses for prospective students? (Not just athletes) I’m aware of the virtual visits.
If we visit a school on our own should we register as a visitor first? We almost used a day this past weekend to drive two hours and to hit some schools but we weren’t sure if our visit should be official or not? (Again not as an athlete)
We live in a “target rich environment” so we have seen many campuses through festivals, clinics or camps but have never been officially registered for a visit. I want to officially start visiting other schools on our radar so my daughter knows what to strive/work for. She’s not going to Hopkins and Goucher's way too small and not remote enough for example.
I’m familiar with the rules but the pace of the the 22’s recruiting has us anxious. We lost this summers camps so we are that much farther behind. I know that we have tape on our side but my daughter need to get out there beyond what we’ve seen so this process becomes real.
Another example is that there’s a school in our family on our radar that is Div 1 but is never at any showcases, tournaments etc. they don't have summer camps. I guess they just send in coaches when needed to recruit? I guess with tape they don’t need to travel or hold live events? Does this have a reflection on their operation?

Is there any word of dead period extending beyond January 1 think people have learned to live a little and kids need to get on campuses LEGALLY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have they figured out the draw? .. I felt that was their biggest weakness during the recent tournament runs.. they could never get one when they needed it.

Tournament runs? Did I miss something? What tournament runs?

Like Reply Quote
Page 4 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 44 45
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard