Get it on Google Play
Get it on App Store
Get it on Google Play Get it on App Store
Limited Spots Available at the Girls NY Showcase on January 10th - Secure Your Spot Today!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Looney's Boys Lacrosse
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 03:13 PM
Boys 2025-8th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 02:28 PM
New England Prep School Lacrosse
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 02:16 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 02:09 PM
Girls 2023-10th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 01:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums19
Topics2,146
Posts277,935
Members2,224
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312344 10/18/20 11:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard the invites for Women’s USA Team went out. Does anyone have the list or know the players? Any surprises?

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #312350 10/18/20 11:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I heard the invites for Women’s USA Team went out. Does anyone have the list or know the players? Any surprises?

I am sure we will hear complaints from the usual suspects. I am also sure that the 72 players that have been selected to tryout are all excellent players. We will hear complaints when they narrow the field to the 36 player training roster and again when the Final USA Team Roster is announced. Good luck to all who have been selected and congratulations!

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312425 10/19/20 07:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just saw on US a lax page only taking 50 players for tryouts. Announced 10/22. Probably the correct number so only the best of the best in Pro and players that played college are selected.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312482 10/19/20 01:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I never write into this site but felt compelled to do so. Spallina should be embarrassed of himself and so should Levy for allowing it. You have one kid on the entire list who has never played a college game and her only accolade is her new coach has no shame and showed who is actually running the tryouts. Has Stony Brook even been practicing for Spallina to have seen her play and what kind of joke committee lets him get away with it. I was going to say before daddy comes on to claim sour grapes blah blah but even he would not try to justify this in any way. Whats the most disgusting about the whole thing is she actually took the spot of some very deserving player , not that USlacrosse cares but people should let them know it tarnishes the whole process.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #312494 10/19/20 02:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I never write into this site but felt compelled to do so. Spallina should be embarrassed of himself and so should Levy for allowing it. You have one kid on the entire list who has never played a college game and her only accolade is her new coach has no shame and showed who is actually running the tryouts. Has Stony Brook even been practicing for Spallina to have seen her play and what kind of joke committee lets him get away with it. I was going to say before daddy comes on to claim sour grapes blah blah but even he would not try to justify this in any way. Whats the most disgusting about the whole thing is she actually took the spot of some very deserving player , not that USlacrosse cares but people should let them know it tarnishes the whole process.

I usually defend tryouts and the selection of players to various teams but I have to admit that this is a bit much. Is it possible that there was a limited pool of applicants?

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312500 10/19/20 04:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So 49 deserving players made the tryout team congratulations and Good Luck.

1 is a complete joke and took a spot for someone at the midfield.

I would think we all need to questions the ethics of Us Lacrosse, Jenny Levy, Joe Spallina and Alex Frank. Along with selection committee.

If your an adult and can’t make a fair decision you shouldn’t take the job.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312553 10/20/20 08:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
did ya ever think that some girls said No? could they have offered other girls whose lives have moved on from lacrosse the opportunity but they passed on it.. ya know like maybe job commitments, covid concerns, or maybe they're afraid they put in all the time and energy and the event gets cancelled anyway?
the list is the list, good on those that made it.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312560 10/20/20 08:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice try. I know for a fact that there are college All Americans that applied and did not get an invite. There are always politics in sports but this might be the worse I have ever seen.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312562 10/20/20 08:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice try. I know several college All Americans that are incredible players that applied and did not get an invite. The Stony Brook player was not even a high school AA. There are always politics in sports but this is about the worse I have ever seen.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #312565 10/20/20 09:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nice try. I know several college All Americans that are incredible players that applied and did not get an invite. The Stony Brook player was not even a high school AA. There are always politics in sports but this is about the worse I have ever seen.

I agree that the selection is a bit off... that said, "The Stony Brook player was not even a high school AA" ... I am pretty sure she was named to the Under Armour Senior Girls All-American Team.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #312566 10/20/20 09:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So 49 deserving players made the tryout team congratulations and Good Luck.

1 is a complete joke and took a spot for someone at the midfield.

I would think we all need to questions the ethics of Us Lacrosse, Jenny Levy, Joe Spallina and Alex Frank. Along with selection committee.

If your an adult and can’t make a fair decision you shouldn’t take the job.

USL is ALL about politics and not talent. Happens every tryout on both the men’s and woman side. They play favorites for sure. They also constantly claim they’re trying to “grow” the sport. A complete joke. They use your mandatory donations to subsidize their USA teams which play non competitive schedules. They should have figured out a way to enforce age restrictions for youth many years ago but did nothing. I would never give them a cent!

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #312575 10/20/20 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So 49 deserving players made the tryout team congratulations and Good Luck.

1 is a complete joke and took a spot for someone at the midfield.

I would think we all need to questions the ethics of Us Lacrosse, Jenny Levy, Joe Spallina and Alex Frank. Along with selection committee.

If your an adult and can’t make a fair decision you shouldn’t take the job.

USL is ALL about politics and not talent. Happens every tryout on both the men’s and woman side. They play favorites for sure. They also constantly claim they’re trying to “grow” the sport. A complete joke. They use your mandatory donations to subsidize their USA teams which play non competitive schedules. They should have figured out a way to enforce age restrictions for youth many years ago but did nothing. I would never give them a cent!

To state “USL is all about politics and not talent” That statement is not accurate. A couple of questionable selections does not make the entire process “political”.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #312576 10/20/20 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
did ya ever think that some girls said No? could they have offered other girls whose lives have moved on from lacrosse the opportunity but they passed on it.. ya know like maybe job commitments, covid concerns, or maybe they're afraid they put in all the time and energy and the event gets cancelled anyway?
the list is the list, good on those that made it.

Actually got a response from US lacrosse while they wouldnt respond to particular players they said ALL players had to have registered for this particular event and there was a panel of 20+ coaches that selected and rated each position. Players were picked in rank order attack was by far most heavily populated position followed by Defense and midfielders then goalies May not believe them but at least got a legitimate response

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
TheBackOfTheCage #312580 10/20/20 10:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US lax has no clue. They rely on the coaches to at least be some what fair.

There is no way you can say this was not done on purpose by Joey, and unfortunately his asst coach Levy(jk) And Frank allowed it . Player is a very good ball player but not even close to this level, as no 2020 is at this time. Hardly any 2019 are good enough.

So at the end question them as they presented it to US lax for truly a rubber stamp. Not to say US lax should have verified it but top people at USLax could care.

Like Reply Quote
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #312581 10/20/20 10:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
I’m very involved in the collegiate aspect of lacrosse. I’m also pessimistic about SUNY as I have seen how they operate with regards to collegiate sports. You can throw the budget and spreadsheets in the trash can. SUNY has a $900 million shortfall to fill and the governor has given each school a directive to cut their costs. Albany and Stony Brook have the two biggest shortfalls. They haven’t announced how they are going to cut their budgets but I have a “feeling” sports MAY be part of the process.

_______________________________________________________________

Stony Brook University spent $8,210,055 on men's teams and received $3,643,116 in revenue. On average, Stony Brook University gave male athletes $9,751 in sports related student aid.

There are 8 head coaches for men's teams. On average they make $135,748. They are supported by 24 assistant coaches who earn $47,924 on average.

Stony Brook University spent $4,799,904 on women's teams and received $1,350,420 in revenue. On average, Stony Brook University gave female athletes $11,927 in sports related student aid.

There are 8 head coaches for women's teams. They make, on average, $79,794. They are supported by 15 assistant coaches who earn, on average, $32,844.

_______________________________________________________________

If you are president of the university these are net-negative numbers. As a positive aside, the women are getting more funding than the men.


Good discussion. As I’m sure you read SBU will have football with a CAA schedule in the spring. Leads one to believe that CAA will have conference games. College sports ....Bottom line all lose money for their respective school. Their function is not to make money. There may/will be cutbacks. But I disagree with your initial premiss that the sky is falling and no SUNY sports for another year.












As I am sure many have heard a few Ivy league have announced NO winter sports I have a feeling that this will soon apply to spring sports as well what a complete mess this will be

Like Reply Quote
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4