Get it on Google Play
Get it on App Store
Get it on Google Play Get it on App Store
Limited Spots Available at the Girls NY Showcase on January 10th - Secure Your Spot Today!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Looney's Boys Lacrosse
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 03:13 PM
Boys 2025-8th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 02:28 PM
New England Prep School Lacrosse
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 02:16 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 02:09 PM
Girls 2023-10th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 12/01/20 01:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums19
Topics2,146
Posts277,935
Members2,224
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Re: 2020-2021 Women's College Lacrosse Season
baldbear #311060 10/01/20 01:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear
I’m very involved in the collegiate aspect of lacrosse. I’m also pessimistic about SUNY as I have seen how they operate with regards to collegiate sports. You can throw the budget and spreadsheets in the trash can. SUNY has a $900 million shortfall to fill and the governor has given each school a directive to cut their costs. Albany and Stony Brook have the two biggest shortfalls. They haven’t announced how they are going to cut their budgets but I have a “feeling” sports MAY be part of the process.

Stony Brook University spent $8,210,055 on men's teams and received $3,643,116 in revenue. On average, Stony Brook University gave male athletes $9,751 in sports related student aid.

There are 8 head coaches for men's teams. On average they make $135,748. They are supported by 24 assistant coaches who earn $47,924 on average.

Stony Brook University spent $4,799,904 on women's teams and received $1,350,420 in revenue. On average, Stony Brook University gave female athletes $11,927 in sports related student aid.

There are 8 head coaches for women's teams. They make, on average, $79,794. They are supported by 15 assistant coaches who earn, on average, $32,844.

If you are president of the university these are net-negative numbers. As a positive aside, the women are getting more funding than the men.

Good discussion. As I’m sure you read SBU will have football with a CAA schedule in the spring. Leads one to believe that CAA will have conference games. College sports ....Bottom line all lose money for their respective school. Their function is not to make money. There may/will be cutbacks. But I disagree with your initial premiss that the sky is falling and no SUNY sports for another year.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

TheBackOfTheCage #311353 10/06/20 08:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First off I’ve never really put my thoughts down in a note so forgive some of the naivety- A few questions where I have no idea where to ask-I have a high school soph and we are ready to pull the trigger and start contacting for recruiting.. I also should add that our club has helped us but I have some questions I don’t feel like asking our club.
Are any schools hosting campus visits/open houses for prospective students? (Not just athletes) I’m aware of the virtual visits.
If we visit a school on our own should we register as a visitor first? We almost used a day this past weekend to drive two hours and to hit some schools but we weren’t sure if our visit should be official or not? (Again not as an athlete)
We live in a “target rich environment” so we have seen many campuses through festivals, clinics or camps but have never been officially registered for a visit. I want to officially start visiting other schools on our radar so my daughter knows what to strive/work for. She’s not going to Hopkins and Goucher's way too small and not remote enough for example.
I’m familiar with the rules but the pace of the the 22’s recruiting has us anxious. We lost this summers camps so we are that much farther behind. I know that we have tape on our side but my daughter need to get out there beyond what we’ve seen so this process becomes real.
Another example is that there’s a school in our family on our radar that is Div 1 but is never at any showcases, tournaments etc. they don't have summer camps. I guess they just send in coaches when needed to recruit? I guess with tape they don’t need to travel or hold live events? Does this have a reflection on their operation?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #311467 10/07/20 08:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lets See if I can help you...

1-A few questions where I have no idea where to ask-I have a high school soph and we are ready to pull the trigger and start contacting for recruiting.. You can contact all the coaches you want ( D-1 & D-2) they will not contact you back until 9/1/2021 .. if ever.

2- Are any schools hosting campus visits/open houses for prospective students? (Not just athletes) I’m aware of the virtual visits. Nope... Not until Covid is gone.. your guess is as good as any as to when that might happen..

3-If we visit a school on our own should we register as a visitor first? We almost used a day this past weekend to drive two hours and to hit some schools but we weren’t sure if our visit should be official or not? (Again not as an athlete) All Campus's are closed to visitors during the Covid Crisis.. you can probably walk around outside and maybe sneak into a building or two, but there are no sanctioned visits occurring. An "Official recruiting" visit is very different then you driving to
a school and walking around..again no coaches are going to talk recruiting to a 2023 at this time

4-We live in a “target rich environment” so we have seen many campuses through festivals, clinics or camps but have never been officially registered for a visit. I want to officially start visiting other schools on our radar so my daughter knows what to strive/work for. She’s not going to Hopkins and Goucher's way too small and not remote enough for example. You are confused about what an Official Visit is, you should do some online research to get a clearer understanding... you need to be invited to an Official Visit. There are no limits on how many visits you can make to a school if you are not receiving athletic scholarship money.. if your daughter wants to go to Maryland ( and it was open) you could go there every day for a year, once you add the athletic scholarship part into the equation then the rules apply about the number of visits you can make.

5-Another example is that there’s a school in our family on our radar that is Div 1 but is never at any showcases, tournaments etc. they don't have summer camps. I guess they just send in coaches when needed to recruit? I guess with tape they don’t need to travel or hold live events? Does this have a reflection on their operation? Id be curios to know who this mystery school is and are they competitive with such a laid back attitude. If I had to guess they are out there doing their recruiting diligence but you are missing the events they are holding or attending. follow their social media, they often post events they are planning to attend there.

You should really speak to your club director.. you pay them to help answer your questions.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #311625 10/08/20 09:27 PM
B
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
B
The NESCAC has canceled the winter sports season. One of the factors is the 14 day quarantine in place in NY (which hopefully gets better, but who knows). So if a team goes to a quarantine state they have to self isolate for 14 days. That kills the season. Let’s hope by spring this will not be an issue.

Like Reply Quote
baldbear #311669 10/09/20 10:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The NESCAC has canceled the winter sports season. One of the factors is the 14 day quarantine in place in NY (which hopefully gets better, but who knows). So if a team goes to a quarantine state they have to self isolate for 14 days. That kills the season. Let’s hope by spring this will not be an issue.

Meanwhile every girls club team is out playing daily. When is someone going to start questioning the insanity of universities not playing ?

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #311681 10/09/20 11:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Meanwhile every girls club team is out playing daily. When is someone going to start questioning the insanity of universities not playing ?

These are left wing colleges in left wing States. This nonsense will not stop because in the end these liberal colleges don’t care about students. They continue to overcharge parents/students.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #311686 10/09/20 12:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or question the insanity that every girls club team IS out playing daily. Yes, I choose to bring my daughter, but doesn't mean I am not insane for doing so.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #311701 10/09/20 01:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you really feel your daughter is at dire risk going to practice. "insane for taking her" is a little over the top. Meanwhile most high school sports are being played in most states and do not have to wear masks at practice or during games and somehow the world is not imploding yet most college teams have to practice is masks.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #311739 10/09/20 09:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you really feel your daughter is at dire risk going to practice. "insane for taking her" is a little over the top. Meanwhile most high school sports are being played in most states and do not have to wear masks at practice or during games and somehow the world is not imploding yet most college teams have to practice is masks.
If I thought it was insane I wouldn’t bring her. My point is no one knows. If my daughter gets seriously ill b/c I bring her to lax, I am insane. If this ends up having already peaked and not a big deal going forward then the colleges are insane for cancelling. The point is you don’t know, I don’t know and only time will tell.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #311754 10/10/20 08:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If I thought it was insane I wouldn’t bring her. My point is no one knows. If my daughter gets seriously ill b/c I bring her to lax, I am insane. If this ends up having already peaked and not a big deal going forward then the colleges are insane for cancelling. The point is you don’t know, I don’t know and only time will tell.

Actually just look at CDC data. It says there are barely none hospitalizations for anyone under 70. Science

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
TheBackOfTheCage #311789 10/10/20 08:19 PM
B
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
B
Just a point of reference and what college administrators are dealing with. SUNY Cortland has shutdown as a result of breaching a certain number of cases. So they are shut down for two weeks. How can you start a sports season with this in place?

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #312077 10/14/20 02:02 PM
B
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
B
D1 Final Four locations announced through 2026. No New York locations-Towson, Baltimore, Cary, Foxborough.

Last edited by baldbear; 10/14/20 02:15 PM.
Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #312217 10/16/20 02:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thought this list was interesting... a men's and women's lacrosse Top 10's of "Programs That Inspire"... Adelphi was an easy choice...

Women's Top 5

1. Middlebury College (VT, NCAA Division 3)
2. Adelphi University (NY, NCAA Division 2)
3. Salisbury University (MD, NCAA Division 3)
4. Gettysburg College (PA, NCAA Division 3)
5. West Chester University (PA, NCAA Division 2)

I’m sure you realize that was an advertisement not a fact based evaluation.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #312256 10/17/20 11:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fresno State is first D1 school to cut women's lacrosse lets hope this is not a trend. https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/article246504080.html

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #312313 10/18/20 12:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thought this list was interesting... a men's and women's lacrosse Top 10's of "Programs That Inspire"... Adelphi was an easy choice...

Women's Top 5

1. Middlebury College (VT, NCAA Division 3)
2. Adelphi University (NY, NCAA Division 2)
3. Salisbury University (MD, NCAA Division 3)
4. Gettysburg College (PA, NCAA Division 3)
5. West Chester University (PA, NCAA Division 2)

I’m sure you realize that was an advertisement not a fact based evaluation.

so which program got left out and gave you the sads?

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard